• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

I can def. tell my running is paying off conditioning wise. This Saturday playing soccer I was running circles around players on the other team. I tired out, but not nearly as quick as I used to and when I subbed out and back in I still had a fair amount of intensity.

Running the Miracle Mile 5k in Dallas this Saturday. Still waiting to see if my company will pay sponsorship fee.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I start week 5 this week. I have always despised running and this week starts the harder runs, but based on how amazing I felt after my last run Friday I think this program has worked wonders for my running ability.

The 20 minute run intimidates me, but I think I am ready. At most, when I ran prior to the program (rarely), I'd run a mile and stop, I was usually dead after it, and it only took 10-12 minutes. I am hoping I feel great after the 20 minute run, and would love to hit 2 miles in that time.

For some reason run 2 of week 6 really kicked my ass tonight, much more so than the 20 minute run did. I honestly feel like breaking the run up and walking makes it harder, because once I lose my pace it's hard to get back into it.

Yeah I know what you mean sometimes. What bothers me more though is when she starts talking during the middle of a run segment, really breaks my concentration.

Woke up today and my back hurt, no idea why. I decided not to run because I thought that would make it worse, but I'm starting to fall behind now.

Did my half-marathon "test" run on Saturday. Finished in 2:11:34. I ran my first 1/2 Marathon on Father's Day, 20 years ago when I was 17. My 2nd was on Father's Day a couple months back, my third was Saturday morning and now my next official one is in 2 weeks. My reach target is just anything under two hours...I'd be so happy if I could manage that!

Did the 25 minute run yesterday and it was probably the toughest yet. I don't know what happened to make it so much harder. I feel like the past couple of runs have felt really hard on my knees... not even painful so much as it feels jarring and uncomfortable. I was doing so great too. :[

Gowans

Jugendstil said:
Did the 25 minute run yesterday and it was probably the toughest yet. I don't know what happened to make it so much harder. I feel like the past couple of runs have felt really hard on my knees... not even painful so much as it feels jarring and uncomfortable. I was doing so great too. :[

I've just done the 25min run, it was hot but once I got past a point I found it ok, even picked up the pasce for the last couple up mins up the horrible hill.

I'm still so slow tho that I'm not much faster than walking and atleast my feet didn;t feel like they were falling off today.
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/20082245

5weeks till I have to run 13mile. Better pick up the pace.

xzoowy

Yesterday, I've completed the Half-Marathon at the Quebec City International Marathon des Deux Rives SSQ. I registered a time of 1h38min.

The field was quite competitve as the 42km event was cancelled because of the remains of hurricane Irene that was forecast for the early afternoon. So, all the 42km people where running the 21km event instead. Also, there was a nasty 40km/h head wind for the entire last 11km of the race, that was such bullshit.

Hey good job.

Just started week 8, that's a 28 minute run. Kicked my ass. Also I run really, really slow I've decided. Pretty much every other runner out there passes me. =\

njean777

Hey guys, been running for about 4 years now, took about a 6month break last year and ever since then my endurance is really bad now. I run for 30 min straight 4 days a week, 3 miles per run and its pretty tough now. I use to be able to run 5 miles in about 45 minutes. Anybody have any suggestions on how to work up my endurance? Maybe I should push myself more?

Neuromancer said:
Hey good job.

Just started week 8, that's a 28 minute run. Kicked my ass. Also I run really, really slow I've decided. Pretty much every other runner out there passes me. =\

Nothing wrong with running slow, as long as you are a distance runner. Now if you are running track then maybe I can see a problem with it.

xzoowy said:
Yesterday, I've completed the Half-Marathon at the Quebec City International Marathon des Deux Rives SSQ. I registered a time of 1h38min. .

Congrats, bro. That's a sensational time and 2 minutes faster than my PB over the same distance (but I'm more cyclist than runner).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Taking a break for a week before starting week 7 due to the fact that I need to let my ankles heal. I got dedicated running shoes (below) finally to replace the ZigTechs that were killing my ankles.

I could tell they helped though because I did run my 25 minute end of week 6 run, and ran 2.5 miles much easier than the 20 minute the week before.

I plan to do a few p90x workouts this week just to keep me going, then start the long week 7 next week.

The fact that I ran 2.5 miles last week for the first time in my life was great though.

reebok-realflex-sneaker.jpg

EDIT: Also, here is my running route if anyone wanted to see it. ISU cross country course infield.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206788523217123523637.0004ab48631979d454055&msa=0

X26

Banned
anyone know a way to mare park trails on google maps? can't seem to freeform a route, it instead jumps to the nearest road

edit: nm, didn't have on foot highlighted

Gowans

chirst i'm seriously doubting I can do this 13mile in 2 1/2 weeks time.

At the mo I can run for 30mins at around 14mins per mile.

Advice? do I pull out and wait till next year? or just go for it slowly with lots of breaks?

What training do I need to try in the next two weeks?

satriales

Gowans007 said:

Advice? do I pull out and wait till next year? or just go for it slowly with lots of breaks?

I'm in a similar situation. I have a 13 mile run in just over a week and at the moment I'm only running 3.5 miles in 32 mins. I'm not too worried about my time next week in the half marathon as it just to keep me on pace for a full marathon in April, but at the moment it's looking like it's going to be very tough to even complete it as I'm shattered after 3 miles.

I think I'm just going to push myself to do 6 miles in the next day or two even if it means walking for a good part of the course, and then try and increase that to ~9 miles a few days later and that should give me a good idea of how my 13 mile race will go.

Cheech

Found an open-box (looked like it had never been used) Garmin Forerunner 305 at Target for $97.

Turns running into a damn videogame. The amount of data that thing collects is amazing, and keeps my heart rate in the correct zone. Beeps if it gets too high, beeps if it gets too low. Just perfect.

My only bitch with it is how long it takes to acquire satellites, but considering the current model of that watch is $400 for the device plus HRM, I can wait an extra minute or so!

satriales

Cheech said:
My only bitch with it is how long it takes to acquire satellites, but considering the current model of that watch is $400 for the device plus HRM, I can wait an extra minute or so!
I turn mine on and put it on the windowsill while i'm getting ready to run. By the time i've got my trainers on it has found the satellites and is ready to go.

Brandson

I was quite unfit in high school and tried running in university. I've now been running a few times a week for the last 12 years, but only upped my runs to 10km+ the last 2 years. My fitness has improved by upping my distances, and it's had the added benefit of shrinking my perception of the size of the city for me.

To fit running into my busy schedule during the week I now run commute home from work 2-3 times (about 7km each time), and fit in another run on the weekend (13km). Running home is pretty liberating and only takes me 15 minutes longer than the subway (Toronto subways are very slow), so it's worth it rather than coming home and then running after.

I have a few tips for anyone new to running, that helped me but took me a bit of time to figure out (feel free to disagree with me):

(1) Try to force yourself into a regular breathing rhythm right at the start of your run, especially if there are a lot of hills on your route. If you're trying to improve your lung capacity, I've found upping your breathing rhythm early on, before you feel like you need to breathe faster, can help you from running out of breath later.

(2) Avoid heavy shoes with excessive amounts of heel padding (which would be most running shoes out there) and try either flat lightweight shoes designed for road races or more minimalist shoes (like Vibram FiveFingers or Vivobarefoot Evo/Ultra) so you can run more on your forefoot or midfoot, instead of landing on your heel. I'm partial to Vivobarefoot Ultras myself. The Nike Free 3.0 running shoes are ok, but still feel like running on heavy unstable platforms compared to the more minimal shoes. Nike Frees, and shoes like them, are better for working out than running I've found. If you try forefoot running in really low profile shoes, then ease yourself into it at the beginning. You may experience some nasty foot and ankle pain initially, but that should subside eventually as your foot muscles develop and you improve your stride. Alternating between minimal and traditional running shoes sometimes works for people too.

(3) If you're going for distances, try to keep your leg and body movements as compact as possible so you don't waste energy. Shorter, faster forefoot strides might help you run farther.

(4) If your feet get numb after running for a while, it sometimes helps to stop briefly and stretch your feet our a bit. Note this is a lot easier if you have flexible minimalist shoes on. Preemptively stretching your feet at the occasional red light can help too, especially when running long distances on snowy streets.

(5) Develop a stretching routine before your runs. When I have the space and privacy, I do some funny looking yoga/pilates-inspired stretches that I would never do in public but really help loosen up my legs. This helps a lot when running in sub zero temperatures in the winter.

(6) Incorporate some long, challenging hills into your route. Aside from the benefits of running up hills, it might help motivate you to improve so that you can make it up all of the hills without stopping.

Gowans007 said:

Is it the Great North you're supposed to be doing? Plenty of people do the run/walk combo for that. However, only being able to currently run two miles means that you might be better off postponing so as not to put yourself under any undue pressure and end up injuring yourself. Maybe try signing up for a 10k in the meantime.

Do you incorporate sprint workouts into your training?

Gowans

J Tourettes said:
Is it the Great North you're supposed to be doing? Plenty of people do the run/walk combo for that. However, only being able to currently run two miles means that you might be better off postponing so as not to put yourself under any undue pressure and end up injuring yourself. Maybe try signing up for a 10k in the meantime.
Yeah I really want to do it, don't mind being slow and stopping every now and then.

Should I be running the next two weeks upping my run 10mins each time.
J Tourettes said:
Do you incorporate sprint workouts into your training?
Sometimes at the end but no, I just hope to keep going.

Cheech

satriales said:
I turn mine on and put it on the windowsill while i'm getting ready to run. By the time i've got my trainers on it has found the satellites and is ready to go.

Yeah, I should try this. I always assumed that it would acquire quickly if I just hold the damn thing straight out while standing outside, but it's just dirt slow.

Cyan

Banned
Gowans007 said:
Yeah I really want to do it, don't mind being slow and stopping every now and then.

Sounds like a recipe for injury.

Gowans007 said:

Sometimes at the end but no, I just hope to keep going.

Strictly speaking, you should be tapering at this point. If I were you, I'd probably claim injury and get my place rolled over to next year. In the meantime, just concentrate on building up your distances slowly. How many times a week are you running? If it's 3 times a week, maybe concentrate on making one of them your long distance run, another concentrate on hill work and have one session a week where you do a sprint session, ie sprint 30 seconds, jog for two minutes, sprint 30 secs, jog for two minutes and repeat for about 15 minutes or so. It should help to increase your stamina.

You could combine the hill/sprint session by finding a big hill to run up, then walk down and repeat.

Gowans

Yeah I think that might be the thing and just give it a year. Dont wana wreck myself.

Tried to push the pace today after 20mins got a killer stitch. Worst one ever.

Gowans007 said:
Yeah I think that might be the thing and just give it a year. Dont wana wreck myself.

Tried to push the pace today after 20mins got a killer stitch. Worst one ever.
Lately I've been getting worse stitches too, I've noticed.

GiJoccin

One thing to think about with stitches is... it's possibly because you're getting hypoxic. try focusing on your breathing, especially when you push yourself. take regular, deeper breaths. if you're rapidly taking shallow breaths you're not getting oxygen into your lungs, and you are causing lactic acid build up in your muscles -> pain in your diaphragm and chest wall.

Ran my 2nd 1/2 marathon of the year today(3rd ever) and finished with a time of 2:11. I'm very pleased with that time. It's an improvement of 20 minutes over my previous time back in mid June. I'll never be a speedster out there so for me I feel it's a great result!

About to start week 9, signaling the end of the podcast! Woohoo!

Quick question, does anyone know of an iOS app for running or otherwise, that can give you a beep or tone to let you know how long you've been running for? Endomondo calls out miles but I'd prefer something that calls out time, preferably something I can set myself (like 15 minutes for a turn around point.)

D6AMIA6N

BigBlue1974 said:
Ran my 2nd 1/2 marathon of the year today(3rd ever) and finished with a time of 2:11. I'm very pleased with that time. It's an improvement of 20 minutes over my previous time back in mid June. I'll never be a speedster out there so for me I feel it's a great result!
Nice! What's next?

ruxtpin said:
Managed 11 Monday and 17 yesterday. This fucking GA heat has to go though.
I think it's finally gone?! I hope.....

Anyway, just wanted to check in, Atlanta Marathon is less then 2 months away for me now. Long runs are up to 17, and short runs are no less then 5. Been running hills all throughout Atlanta, and much of the actual marathon course. Shooting for sub 4!

D6AMIA6N said:
Nice! What's next?
Not sure if there are any more 1/2 Marathons in my area this year. I'd like to keep training and not cut back too much on my long runs and come December/January start preparing to do my first full marathon on Father's Day.

There is a 1/2 Marathon in late April so my goal would just be to finish in under 2 hours and would likely be a good warmup to judge where I'm at before the full.

Neuromancer said:
Quick question, does anyone know of an iOS app for running or otherwise, that can give you a beep or tone to let you know how long you've been running for? Endomondo calls out miles but I'd prefer something that calls out time, preferably something I can set myself (like 15 minutes for a turn around point.)

Yes! I would love an app like this. Anyone have any suggestions?

D6AMIA6N

BigBlue1974 said:
Not sure if there are any more 1/2 Marathons in my area this year. I'd like to keep training and not cut back too much on my long runs and come December/January start preparing to do my first full marathon on Father's Day.

There is a 1/2 Marathon in late April so my goal would just be to finish in under 2 hours and would likely be a good warmup to judge where I'm at before the full.

Big, keep trucking!

X26

Banned
Anyone else feel like after a long run their lungs are slightly deflated feeling and it takes a few hours for them to go back to normal? Doesn't hurt or affect my breathing, but feels awkward.

Cyan

Banned
The annual Moonlight 10k tonight! My foot's been hurting a little; hopefully I'll hold up all the way through. Love this run. :)

Ranvier

Just finished my first hour run. Don't know how many miles I did since my Buddy's and my phones were low on battery. But I feel pretty crappy right now even though I've been a Scottish 2 miler at least 3 times a week for the past month.
for those of you who aren't in the know, a Scottish 2 miler is where you run two miles but you do it in a small straightaway running back and forth.
I do this because I work in a small start-up biotech lab and while a machine is running, I got nothing to do but to sit there so I decided to run too. Around 6 back and forths equals 1 lap on a track. I know this probably isn't very good since I kinda get rest as I'm turning around but it works with my schedule. When I do a straight 2-3 miler on weekends I'm way more beat then doing it at work. Is there anything I should change around given my schedule limitations?

Cyan

Banned
Cyan said:
The annual Moonlight 10k tonight! My foot's been hurting a little; hopefully I'll hold up all the way through. Love this run. :)
Did I say Moonlight 10k? I meant terrifying lightning 10k. Yeesh.

Ranvier said:
Just finished my first hour run. Don't know how many miles I did since my Buddy's and my phones were low on battery. But I feel pretty crappy right now even though I've been a Scottish 2 miler at least 3 times a week for the past month.
for those of you who aren't in the know, a Scottish 2 miler is where you run two miles but you do it in a small straightaway running back and forth.
I do this because I work in a small start-up biotech lab and while a machine is running, I got nothing to do but to sit there so I decided to run too. Around 6 back and forths equals 1 lap on a track. I know this probably isn't very good since I kinda get rest as I'm turning around but it works with my schedule. When I do a straight 2-3 miler on weekends I'm way more beat then doing it at work. Is there anything I should change around given my schedule limitations?

You could do a sprint/jog/sprint/jog session at work as it'll help improve your stamina for the long run at weekends.

D6AMIA6N

D6AMIA6N said:
Wish me luck men! I run the Atlanta Marathon on Sunday!

4:07:08

So f'ing hilly, like seriously ridiculous. Sad I didn't achieve my goal of sub four, but glad I did the best I could on a difficult course for my first marathon!

Cyan

Banned
Went out and did a little over a mile today. Foot still hurting. :/ Haven't had a proper run in months.

I think I might have to bite the bullet and go see a physical therapist, even if it's expensive. Bah.

castlegar

Ran my first ever 10k race today (and my first official race of any type, really) and came 37th of about 1500 with 37:30. I've been running for about a year, mostly to get in shape and shed some pounds. I've only recently starting getting serious about it and this really made me feel good about where I'm at. Looking forward to trying something a bit longer.

I was wondering if anyone had some good 'first steps' in getting out of my comfort zone of about that 10k distance? I've never done intervals, but I've heard they're good for progress. And I've also heard that just slowly increasing distance a bit at a time is another good way. Thoughts?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I did it. I ran a half marathon yesterday and I don't feel aweful. I took a very conservative pace, I was running with my fiance who is slower. We did it in close to 3 hours. That's a bit too long but hey, we did it!

The big run is February 12, think we can make it?

Mully

How did I not know about this thread? This is awesome! I've been running regularly since I was 16. After my last head injury, I'm not really able to play soccer at the same level I used to. Now I just run and work out as much as I can.

Next week I'm doing a 10K and I'm doing a half marathon later this month. I've done a ton of 10Ks, but I've never done a half marathon. Any suggestions?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Mully said:
How did I not know about this thread? This is awesome! I've been running regularly since I was 16. After my last head injury, I'm not really able to play soccer at the same level I used to. Now I just run and work out as much as I can.

Next week I'm doing a 10K and I'm doing a half marathon later this month. I've done a ton of 10Ks, but I've never done a half marathon. Any suggestions?

Walk/run/walk/run

Find a ratio of minutes and have at it.

Top Bottom