• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 3 |OT| Super Microsoft All-Star Bros for Xbox One & Windows 10

OniLordAsmodeus

Neo Member
I don't think you understand my point. One game for £30 with 30 characters isn't necessarily better value that another game for £30 with 40 characters. How much value do you place on each character? Would you get more value from a £10 game with 6 fighters from Street Fighter 2 or a £10 game with 8 fighters from Rise of the Robots?

I get your point, but that wasn't THE point. You sort of switch the subject that was being discussed.

The original quote that started this was:

Street Fighter V's entire pricing and release model has and continues to be OBJECTIVELY worse than KI.

Worse being a synonym for "more expensive" or "less consumer friendly". This was in response to a post talking about how KI was nickel and diming the players versus how players are treated by SFV.

KI and SFV's "pricing and release model" can be "objectively" judged, contrasted, and compared. You can find out which is cheaper. Which has more options. There isn't any subjectivity there.

• You can play KI for free, all modes, all options, but you'll only have access to 3 characters at any one time (there is another caveat here, but it is irrelevant atm), while you MUST pay a price to get into SFV to play with any character, or any mode.
  • Once you pay for SFV, you can earn all the DLC characters, and the majority of the other DLC content, by just playing/grinding for Fight Money, while in KI you have to pay for all that stuff through it's various pricing options.

You can like and choose to play/buy SFV over KI (and vice versa) for all types of subjective reasons, but that doesn't erase the objective facts that surround each product as it pertains to the initial comment.

playXray

I get your point, but that wasn't THE point. You sort of switch the subject that was being discussed.

The original quote that started this was:

Worse being a synonym for "more expensive" or "less consumer friendly". This was in response to a post talking about how KI was nickel and diming the players versus how players are treated by SFV.

KI and SFV's "pricing and release model" can be "objectively" judged, contrasted, and compared. You can find out which is cheaper. Which has more options. There isn't any subjectivity there.

• You can play KI for free, all modes, all options, but you'll only have access to 3 characters at any one time (there is another caveat here, but it is irrelevant atm), while you MUST pay a price to get into SFV to play with any character, or any mode.
  • Once you pay for SFV, you can earn all the DLC characters, and the majority of the other DLC content, by just playing/grinding for Fight Money, while in KI you have to pay for all that stuff through it's various pricing options.

You can like and choose to play/buy SFV over KI (and vice versa) for all types of subjective reasons, but that doesn't erase the objective facts that surround each product as it pertains to the initial comment.

You are not grasping the point. You cannot say that the pricing and release model of Street Fighter V is, as a proven, quantifiable fact, "worse" than that of Killer Instinct. You can say that you think one provides more value than the other, or that you prefer a certain pricing model, but that doesn't make it an objective fact.

Doukou

Well at least the very least KI handles tournament funding dlc objectively better.
Knowing exactly how much you donate vs not knowing isn't really that much of a fight.

ScOULaris

Quick question about the definitive edition.

I bought KI at the onset of Season 3 with the Ultra Edition along with Shadow Jago, and I just purchased Kilgore as well to support the game. I noticed this bullet point among the listed features for the definitive edition:

• Explore the lore, characters and history of Killer Instinct with all-new behind-the-scenes videos, trailers and art
What exactly is this extra behind-the-scenes content, and is there any way to access it if we already own all of the game's content from previous seasons?
Sorry for the bump, but I can't find information on this anywhere. Can anyone answer this question?

vg260

Sorry for the bump, but I can't find information on this anywhere. Can anyone answer this question?

The DE is essentially a separate front-end that installs as a separate app. Are you on an Xbox console? If so it appears under apps, not games. It's only available if you bought the DE package. :/

ScOULaris

The DE is essentially a separate front-end that installs as a separate app. Are you on an Xbox console? If so it appears under apps, not games. It's only available if you bought the DE package. :/
I'm playing on PC, and that sucks if there's no way for people who already owned everything up through Season 3 to get the behind-the-scenes content other than to buy everything over again at full price.

vg260

I'm playing on PC, and that sucks if there's no way for people who already owned everything up through Season 3 to get the behind-the-scenes content other than to buy everything over again at full price.

Yeah, the best option was the $20 Thanksgiving sale. Xbox users were in the same boat, though. You're not really missing all that much, really. The videos were OK to watch, but I doubt I'll ever want to watch them again and I'd rather not use up the disc space.

ScOULaris

So did anyone watch the Kumite Top 8 yesterday?

BH Thompxson looks unstoppable as of late. You know you're good when Twitch chat is routinely calling for your character to be nerfed despite nobody else making even Top 16 with Jago most of the time in tournament play.

When you make a solid (but arguably not top-tier) character look "broken," you've ascended to the highest level of play.

.la1n

BH Thompxson looks unstoppable as of late. You know you're good when Twitch chat is routinely calling for your character to be nerfed despite nobody else making even Top 16 with Jago most of the time in tournament play.

When you make a solid (but arguably not top-tier) character look "broken," you've ascended to the highest level of play.

I did. Loved the tournament and matches but the stream itself irritated the hell out of me. There is no excuse this far into the game's life to not have proper audio balancing. Especially in a game where music plays such a large role like KI. You could barely hear any game audio.

OniLordAsmodeus

Neo Member

I LOVE Jago's game. I guess it stems from just loving the "pure" footsie and fireball game of a normal Shoto, but regardless, Jago IS Ryu...only on steroids.

The Jago mirror between Bass and Thompson was pretty nice to watch, as I've seen Bass's Jago before and it is exceptional...but then you see Thompson, and how he just dismantled Bass outright. Damn. At the end of the day, Thompson IS the Jago of the community...I just hope others can show up and represent other characters to take him down in the coming months.

I did. Loved the tournament and matches but the stream itself irritated the hell out of me. There is no excuse this far into the game's life to not have proper audio balancing. Especially in a game where music plays such a large role like KI. You could barely hear any game audio.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

NaviLink

Got a few questions about Definitive Edition.

I got Season 1 for free on Games with Gold, Season 2 will follow shortly the same way.

I just bought the Definitive Edition, which basically gives me Season 3.

What isn't included in this so-called definitive edition? Shadow Jago and Kilgore are separate purchases if I understand correctly. Anything else I'm missing? Some skins, probably?

Nabs

I hope there are some good sales on the Windows Store soon, I missed out on the Holiday sales because I couldn't get my ps3 arcade stick working. Here's hoping for something. I'd like to finally learn this game.

vg260

Got a few questions about Definitive Edition.

I got Season 1 for free on Games with Gold, Season 2 will follow shortly the same way.

I just bought the Definitive Edition, which basically gives me Season 3.

What isn't included in this so-called definitive edition? Shadow Jago and Kilgore are separate purchases if I understand correctly. Anything else I'm missing? Some skins, probably?

The Definitive Edition gives you everything through season 3, including the accessories for s1-3 characters, and includes Shadow Jago.

Kilgore, the gold and terror skins and any future content are not included as it is post-season-3 content.

NaviLink

The Definitive Edition gives you everything through season 3, including the accessories for s1-3 characters, and includes Shadow Jago.

Kilgore, the gold and terror skins and any future content are not included as it is post-season-3 content.

Thanks for your answer. Surprised that Shago is included, that's neat.

Too bad they named it definitive edition when it's obvious they're gonna add more content.

vg260

Thanks for your answer. Surprised that Shago is included, that's neat.

Too bad they named it definitive edition when it's obvious they're gonna add more content.

It is a weird thing, but I'm happy the game is still getting support. It's a good value package regardless.

El Sabroso

so i take kilgore is like shadow jago, in that he will be available only temporary? Have they announced other characters or a season 4?

Kilgore is available as any other dlc fighter, until the 3 new characters are available only time will tell if MS will come up with a new definitive package again or any bundle including the extra characters

derFeef

I hope there are some good sales on the Windows Store soon, I missed out on the Holiday sales because I couldn't get my ps3 arcade stick working. Here's hoping for something. I'd like to finally learn this game.

On your PC in general or just for UWP games? My 360 pad works fine for what it's worth, heh.

Nabs

On your PC in general or just for UWP games? My 360 pad works fine for what it's worth, heh.
UWP games since they don't support dinput controllers. I was able to get it working by using Steam's new controller support beta + GloSC. Now I can play KI from my TV w/ the Steam Link and my arcade stick.

derFeef

UWP games since they don't support dinput controllers. I was able to get it working by using Steam's new controller support beta + GloSC. Now I can play KI from my TV w/ the Steam Link and my arcade stick.

That's a nifty workaround. Any problems with input-lag, though?
And how do you like the game so far?

Nabs

No input lag issues. it's probably no different from xoutput people were using before.

As for the game, I don't really know. I don't own any characters yet, so I haven't been able to get a feel of it. I still don't know what I'm doing. Heh,

derFeef

No input lag issues. it's probably no different from xoutput people were using before.

As for the game, I don't really know. I don't own any characters yet, so I haven't been able to get a feel of it. I still don't know what I'm doing. Heh,

The Dojo is really good, hit that up first and try to do everything. I also recommend actually disabling the combo assist feature, especially if you have a stick.
I am a very bad KI/fighting game player, but I like sparing and just having fun so you can add me if you like - GT daFeef - I won't crush you, promise, lol.

I recommend Sabrewulf, Jago, Tusk, Orchid, Thunder and Riptor to new players. IMO those are the most gimmick-less characters to learn the combat flow.

vg260

Interesting. I might try this while controller support is still broken. Any tips on where to find this and set it up?

Vyse24

From the looks of it, the Crimson Vampire Bat pack was available, but was taken down because it didn't contain a Crimson Vampire Bat.

For those wondering, it's 10000 gems to buy and also comes with another guardian rare or better. Not sure on the stats it gets.

ScOULaris

Man, I wish Microsoft/Iron Galaxy could find a way to put out a new art book containing material for everything through all the seasons. That Season 1 book was awesome.

ScOULaris

Okay so this is really goddamn annoying.

I started playing KI again after taking a few months off, and it downranked me to Gold from Killer due to inactivity. That's fine.

So I start getting some wins in in Gold tier and climb back up toward Killer rank, and then I turn the game off and come back to it the next day. It gives me the demotion prompt again and starts me back off at the bottom of Gold tier with 0 points again. I play some more, getting some wins/points and climbing the ladder.

I turn the game off and then come back to it an hour later... demotion prompt and back to zero again. What the FUCK?

Why is Ranked not saving my progress anymore? I'm stuck in an endless loop here and losing all credit for my wins every time I exit the game.

I'm playing on Windows 10.

ScOULaris

@ScOULaris

That sux. The sounds like a glitch or something. I vaguely remember reading something about someone else having an issue like that, but that was some time ago. I thought that issue was fixed.

Since you are having this issue, you should post it here:

https://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/official-ki-bug-reporting-thread-season-3/7456

...at the KI forums.

I actually found the solution, although it's a pretty shitty one.

Looks like you have to have Windows 10's telemetry (data collection) services enabled in order for KI's online progress to save. I had it turned off because, you know... I don't like MS fucking spying on me just because I'm using their OS. For now I've had to re-enable it and leave it set to Basic for the minimum amount of data collection.

I'm not happy about it, but Ranked is saving my progress again.

I actually found the solution, although it's a pretty shitty one.

Looks like you have to have Windows 10's telemetry (data collection) services enabled in order for KI's online progress to save. I had it turned off because, you know... I don't like MS fucking spying on me just because I'm using their OS. For now I've had to re-enable it and leave it set to Basic for the minimum amount of data collection.

I'm not happy about it, but Ranked is saving my progress again.
Well that's just evil.

derFeef

Why do I always fall in love with the pro/hardest/worst characters?
Kan-Ra, why didn't I try you out earlier. Can't play him at all, but I love him, lol.

vg260

Why do I always fall in love with the pro/hardest/worst characters?
Kan-Ra, why didn't I try you out earlier. Can't play him at all, but I love him, lol.

Same. He's probably my favorite character in the game, but I don't really play him much. I'm gonna give him a go one I finish unlocking some stuff.

derFeef

Remind me to not go online ever again in a fighter...
I am just not good. Sadly Shadow Lords is also not really that much fun, so CPU matches it will be, as always, lol.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Remind me to not go online ever again in a fighter...
I am just not good. Sadly Shadow Lords is also not really that much fun, so CPU matches it will be, as always, lol.

You know what strange?

I like KI more than SFV
I'm better at KI than I am at SFV

Yet I do faaaar better online in SFV vs KI. I think KI's pool of Australian players is waaaaay better than SFV's.

derFeef

Do the Shadow Survival thing its like online, but not online!

I did that afterwards and got crushed pretty fast. I can't deal with offensive players/characters where I have literally no window to start an attack... but that was always the case for me. Also learning a new character (Kan-Ra) at the same time with this is probably not a good idea, lol.

But looks like it's a good learning tool?

wrongway

Oof. I've been getting into this recently and was getting close to silver, but I've been losing everything tonight. Feeeeels bad, man.

Realtalk though, I wish I had given this a proper chance when it first launched on PC. I tried it then but was feeling so burned by SFV that KI didn't stick. It's super good though, even if I'm terrible at it. Matchmaking's fast, netcode's great (I'm like 50 matches in and have 2 laggy games), the music's a riot... just a good time.
You know what strange?

I like KI more than SFV
I'm better at KI than I am at SFV

Yet I do faaaar better online in SFV vs KI. I think KI's pool of Australian players is waaaaay better than SFV's.
Right there with ya. Not sure what my stats are in SFV, but I've won my fair share of matches there--enough to feel almost even--despite being a fighting game newbie. In KI though I have a 1:2 win ratio and falling. :D

edit: I finally won against a couple fellow bronzers AND a gold! Recovered all my points plus a few bonus points for good measure. Hurray for net gains! :D

Sponge

Banned
KI might not be at EVO this year. It's been my favorite to watch for the last few years. I have a bad feeling it's not gonna win Player's Choice, and if so I doubt I'm watching much EVO this year.

dankir

KI might not be at EVO this year. It's been my favorite to watch for the last few years. I have a bad feeling it's not gonna win Player's Choice, and if so I doubt I'm watching much EVO this year.

From the looks of it at this point neither will UMvC3... so yeah I don't think I'll be following EVO too closely.

ScribbleD

Best we can do is organize and spread the word on social media. Even being the game with the lowest number of entrants, KI is one of the only games to show consistent year over year growth. I'm really invested in seeing KI top 8, which have always been fantastic, and feeling that hype in the Mandalay Bay Arena on Sunday, and getting even more exposure for this wonderful game.

So share the donation link with anyone you think would be interested. Use Twitter/FB/Reddit, whatever else you have at your disposal. Remind them that even if they don't care about fighting games or which game gets picked their money still goes to a noble, charitable cause, and if you can give money please do so. https://www.generosity.com/explore?filter_title=EVO#/search

lazyguy

Been playing a ton of Shadow Lords despite not liking it(trying to unlock everything).
So how do I get the Shadowborne mission. I've beaten the game twice and did the relic hunt quest but the damn thing won't show up.

Top Bottom