• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K' Dash

You do know the 1080 is launching this week?

FE bullshit is launching, I´m selling my old PC to a friend, so I have some spare cash, I´ll upgrade later to a 1080ti.

I have the MSI card and I love it. It's quiet, looks good, and has good temperatures. I've had no problems with it so far and I've had it for about 9 months now. I've never tried overclocking it though.

Honestly at the end of the day, a 980 Ti is a 980 Ti, you'll get a great card regardless of which one you pick.

Sounds good, have you tried any demanding games?

RGM79

Question:

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Any reason it won't work with my LGA 1151 ASUS z170 PRO?

I know the newer version is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, but the Cooler Master website/product page on their website says it will still work with LGA 1151 sockets.

Just wanting to be sure
For the last ~7 years, all of the socket 115x motherboards have had the same mounting holes for coolers. It'll work. Both the 212 Plus and 212 Evo have the exact same mounting hardware, the difference is just flatness of the surface of the cooler and how the copper heatpipes are arranged.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll blind order one. That's a good price.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...gn246hl-bbid-black-gn246hl-bbid/10363272.aspx

Best Buy has the same price RGM, if you want to try it out at a place where it would be easier to return.
Hmm, I already ordered "blind" from Amazon in case it went out of stock. Oh well, maybe I'll check it out at Best Buy if I have time this week.

FE bullshit is launching, I´m selling my old PC to a friend, so I have some spare cash, I´ll upgrade later to a 1080ti.

If you're going to spend money on a premium card, find the right one for your application. Noise, temperature, size, clock headroom, and design vary across manufacturers. They're not all the same.

kuYuri

I've played a number of demanding AAA games in the 9 months since, Batman: Arkham Knight, Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Division just to name a few. I also game at 1440p, which the 980 Ti is the perfect card for gaming at that resolution.

Guys, I´m about to pull the plunge on a 980ti for my new build, but there are so many fucking options out there, so I want you to help me pick one, the ones I like are:

- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Super Clocked
- MSI Limited GAMING Edition GeForce GTX 980 TI 6GB OC DirectX 12 VR READY
- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION

Honestly, I fucking love the look of the MSI Gold, the copper pipes supposedly keep the card cooler, etc and it has a very nice overclock. I love Gigabyte, my current 780 GHz Edition is awesome. I´ve heard nice thing about EVGA so I liked that one too.

I´ve read reviews on all of them and they all seem very nice cards, but I wanter to read your input, I´m open to check other cards if you can recommend anything better than what I picked.

Not the G1 but I have the xtreme gaming edition which is sort of a step up. Stays around 69-71 C on load and the rgb is a nice touch too. The only con is that it's a bloody heavy card so it does sag a little.

Not the G1 but I have the xtreme gaming edition which is sort of a step up. Stays around 69-71 C on load and the rgb is a nice touch too. The only con is that it's a bloody heavy card so it does sag a little.

I'm starting to think I may pull the trigger on SLI 980tis now with prices dipping well into the $400 range on eBay now. Besides the Kingpin and some of the other mega expensive editions, is there a version that's unanimously the best? I've been leaning toward the extreme gaming edition, but was wondering what else I should look out for.

K' Dash

If you're going to spend money on a premium card, find the right one for your application. Noise, temperature, size, clock headroom, and design vary across manufacturers. They're not all the same.

I've played a number of demanding AAA games in the 9 months since, Batman: Arkham Knight, Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Division just to name a few. I also game at 1440p, which the 980 Ti is the perfect card for gaming at that resolution.

Thank you for your posts, I´m still reading reviews and watching benchmarks, but I´ll buy it tomorrow for sure.

Schnozberry

I'm starting to think I may pull the trigger on SLI 980tis now with prices dipping well into the $400 range on eBay now. Besides the Kingpin and some of the other mega expensive editions, is there a version that's unanimously the best? I've been leaning toward the extreme gaming edition, but was wondering what else I should look out for.

Are you overclocking at all? I would see if people selling used cards will tell you their ASIC quality. I have a stock EVGA 980ti with an ACX 2.0 Cooler and hit the silicon lottery with 86%. I can hit over 1300mhz stable and over 1500mhz at boost without an artifact or overheat in sight. The only downside is that the cooler gets a bit loud because of the aggressive fan curve.

Are you overclocking at all? I would see if people selling used cards will tell you their ASIC quality. I have a stock EVGA 980ti with an ACX 2.0 Cooler and hit the silicon lottery with 86%. I can hit over 1300mhz stable and over 1500mhz at boost without an artifact or overheat in sight. The only downside is that the cooler gets a bit loud because of the aggressive fan curve.

I've mostly been looking on eBay and some of the users are posting. I've seen a few 77% and higher listed. I will eventually over clock.

Schnozberry

I've mostly been looking on eBay and some of the users are posting. I've seen a few 77% and higher listed. I will eventually over clock.

I would go with the cheapest card you can find with the highest ASIC. You'll have enough overclock headroom on even stock cards to move past all the customized versions as long as you have a decent cooler. I have had good luck with EVGA. Their ACX 2.0 cooler is very well built.

Is there any estimate on if/when/how much the 980's will drop in price now that the 1080/70 are going to be out soon? I'm really new to this and don't have experience with new gen cards coming out. I'm on the verge of buying my system and am trying to decide what route to take, buying a 1070 or waiting for the 980's to drop.

Is there any estimate on if/when/how much the 980's will drop in price now that the 1080/70 are going to be out soon? I'm really new to this and don't have experience with new gen cards coming out. I'm on the verge of buying my system and am trying to decide what route to take, buying a 1070 or waiting for the 980's to drop.

Microcenter dropped some cards way low last week, 499 for MSI over clocked card. Then the prices went back up. EVGA is offering a rebate now and 10% on newegg. I think the golden edition is 529 on Amazon

Meesh

Just a quickie for anyone who can help.

I've got the micro Silver Stone PS08(case) and was wondering if there was an SD card bay you could buy that would fit?
Any suggestions?
Edit: if there is such a thing?

Karkador

Banned
Hi, PC GAF; long-time PC builder, first time poster. My build from the Year of Our Lord 2010 badly needs upgrading, but life has changed since then, and so have my wants and needs from a PC.

Long story short, I want a small PC that has at least some moderate power - I'm not really a power user, but I want a sturdy machine that will flex to the needs of creative work as well as some moderate gaming. I was looking at the NCASE M1, and that looks like the right fit - but what to put inside of it?

Here's my form:

Your Current Specs: i5 750 2.66Ghz / 4GB 1600mhz RAM / Gigabyte GA-P55A motherboard / Gigabyte 460GT 1gb / OCZ 700w power supply / Antec 900 case / drawing a blank on my HDDs, but they aint SDDs

•Budget:
Allowing myself up to $1000; USD

•Main Use:

Light Gaming (4), Gaming (3), Emulation (2), Video Editing (5), Graphic Design (5), Streaming games in HD (1), 3D/Model work (1 for now), General Usage (3)

•Monitor Resolution: 1080p; don't see this changing anytime soon.

•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Must-haves for me are anything in the Adobe Creative suite, as I'm a graphic designer, and may delve into video now and then. I'm not really into big AAA gaming in general (less so on my PC), but I do enjoy my sim/strategy games and could see myself getting into Overwatch some day. Honestly, most of the stuff I like runs acceptably on my current machine, the thing is just kind of choking at this point.

Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?: 60 is nice. PhysX and such are neat, but not essential, as far as I've ever seen. Again, I don't play stuff that would have those bells and whistles.

•Looking to reuse any parts?: Probably just the 3TB HD since it's newer and affords a lot of storage space.

•When will you build?: Looking to do it within the next few months.

•Will you be overclocking?:
Probably not. I'd prefer cool and quiet.

petran79

Banned
I have one question:

Do high end GPUs like the 980ti also require more system RAM?
Would 16 GB RAM be the minimum for such a card if you plan to play in advanced graphic settings? Most games run fine on 4-8 GB. But by applying all those filters in high res, does it not also need more system RAM to process all that data?

So running a 980 on 8 GB would downgrade the performance? Because most benchmarks run on high end hardware with 16 GB RAM and I cant find any reference for 4-12 GB RAM

i am looking at a monitor that has a 25 min watt/75 max watt power usage.. at what point would the monitor require 75 watts and how can something like that be avoided?

gamma

I have one question:

Would 16 GB RAM be the minimum for such a card if you plan to play in advanced graphic settings? Most games run fine on 4-8 GB. But by applying all those filters in high res, does it not also need more system RAM to process all that data?

So running a 980 on 8 GB would downgrade the performance? Because most benchmarks run on high end hardware with 16 GB RAM and I cant find any reference for 4-12 GB RAM

No since the GPU has its own (V)RAM.

Regardless of GPU I wouldn't go with less than 8GB though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hopefully that AMD news is anywhere in the ballpark to true. Some Quads that don't cost $120 mobo + $230 to OC would be fucking fantastic.
The monitor section could use some updating. A lot of outdated monitors and some, like the Eizo links, were taken out, but text still remains.

And needs options for the 1440p/144hz/27" market, which is the best right now in terms of performance/price point.
Cheers, removed that part. Monitors have never been a strong point and I did a quick glance over what was still relevant before I put the thread up. If you have suggestions that's the sort of thing to PM.
Thanks for the new thread.

We need a wall of shame post.
The shame is how little I posted...
You da man Hazaro. I've referred countless friends to these threads for build advice, truly invaluable. I might suggest maybe outlining some sort of Oculus/Vive-ready build in the OP, as you're inevitably gonna get a lot of questions here about exactly that.
Hmm... yeah that would fit the bill a bit better at the moment. I'll see about tossing it into the Enthusiast build maybe, can't imagine the GTX 1070 not being the default card to go with in a couple weeks for entry VR people.
New thread smell. Anyway, I'm going to finally dive in and pick up the rest of my pieces next week, minus the video card of course. I will probably get a GTX 1070 unless AMD throws us something awesome.

What I already have that will go in the box:

i5 6600K
Gigabyte Z170-HD3P
Corsair case
2 TB HDD

What I plan on purchasing:

PSUEVGA SuperNova 750 B1-http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-110-B1-0750-VR/dp/B00K85X23O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER $65
SSDSamsung 850 EVO- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAJ412U/?tag=neogaf0e-20 $89
RAM Corisar Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143UM4TC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Windows 10 OEM- $86

I think the 750 watt might be overkill. Maybe a 650 is enough? I plan on using the SSD for OS and a 2TB HDD for my games. I like the ram since it is 3200 MHz. Thoughts or do these parts look good?
Looks fine to me. Personally when 100W is $10 I'll go for more.
Wait what? I wasn't aware of this. Is this more of an issue than for normal HDD's?

I keep backups but still.
More of an issue with SSDs. I had a string of 4 SSD failures in a short period of time and the only thing they had in common was no battery backup, a few emails to a Crucial engineer and checking the SMART data of the drives I RMA'd and could try to get information off of and looked like a 'UNEXPECTED POWER LOSS' cause for corruption. Even the SSDs that used to have capacitors in them to help prevent some of these issues are still vulnerable.

We don't install SSDs in desktop without a battery backup now for our clients.
Hi, PC GAF; long-time PC builder, first time poster. My build from the Year of Our Lord 2010 badly needs upgrading, but life has changed since then, and so have my wants and needs from a PC.

Long story short, I want a small PC that has at least some moderate power - I'm not really a power user, but I want a sturdy machine that will flex to the needs of creative work as well as some moderate gaming. I was looking at the NCASE M1, and that looks like the right fit - but what to put inside of it?

Here's my form:

Your Current Specs: i5 750 2.66Ghz / 4GB 1600mhz RAM / Gigabyte GA-P55A motherboard / Gigabyte 460GT 1gb / OCZ 700w power supply / Antec 900 case / drawing a blank on my HDDs, but they aint SDDs

•Budget:
Allowing myself up to $1000; USD

•Main Use:

Light Gaming (4), Gaming (3), Emulation (2), Video Editing (5), Graphic Design (5), Streaming games in HD (1), 3D/Model work (1 for now), General Usage (3)

•Monitor Resolution: 1080p; don't see this changing anytime soon.

•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Must-haves for me are anything in the Adobe Creative suite, as I'm a graphic designer, and may delve into video now and then. I'm not really into big AAA gaming in general (less so on my PC), but I do enjoy my sim/strategy games and could see myself getting into Overwatch some day. Honestly, most of the stuff I like runs acceptably on my current machine, the thing is just kind of choking at this point.

Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?: 60 is nice. PhysX and such are neat, but not essential, as far as I've ever seen. Again, I don't play stuff that would have those bells and whistles.

•Looking to reuse any parts?: Probably just the 3TB HD since it's newer and affords a lot of storage space.

•When will you build?: Looking to do it within the next few months.

•Will you be overclocking?:
Probably not. I'd prefer cool and quiet.
If it's in the next few months, swing by and see how the 1070 OEM cards will fit into your budget, but you'd be looking at a Great build with a 1070 I think. It's a shame there aren't any real good value mid-range options, but maybe even wait out for a GTX 1060 which might be good??
I have one question:

Nah.
You should have 16GB with that card though since it's so cheap.
i am looking at a monitor that has a 25 min watt/75 max watt power usage.. at what point would the monitor require 75 watts and how can something like that be avoided?
Keep brightness down? Most monitors don't usually go near max labelled wattage. You can take a kill-a-watt and check yourself if its really important.
I have a likely dumb question but can an a10 7650k be upgraded to anything worthwhile?
Not anything I'd spend money on unless you really needed a pinch of something and went used on a tight budget.

RGM79

Just a quickie for anyone who can help.

I've got the micro Silver Stone PS08(case) and was wondering if there was an SD card bay you could buy that would fit?
Any suggestions?
Edit: if there is such a thing?
Yeah, see here for some examples. You want a card reader marked as being for 5.25" bays, or you can buy a 3.5" bay reader and use an adaptor like this one. See here for some examples.

More of an issue with SSDs. I had a string of 4 SSD failures in a short period of time and the only thing they had in common was no battery backup, a few emails to a Crucial engineer and checking the SMART data of the drives I RMA'd and could try to get information off of and looked like a 'UNEXPECTED POWER LOSS' cause for corruption. Even the SSDs that used to have capacitors in them to help prevent some of these issues are still vulnerable.

We don't install SSDs in desktop without a battery backup now for our clients.

I'm curious about those SSDs failing, was it the same model/brand for all 4 of them? I've had several unexpected power losses on a PC with a Sandisk Ultra II but fortunately it only caused corrupt system files which I was able to repair and the drive remained healthy.

drotahorror

I will be building my first computer with a non-stock cooler this weekend. I can't remember what I did last time, if I installed the stock intel cooler before putting the mobo in the pc or after.

If I decide to install the cooler before, how should I handle the motherboard when putting it in the case? This new cooler is massive compared to a stock one and pretty heavy.

thanks.

*I think with this corsair case I can install it while the mobo is already on the standoffs but I honestly don't know yet (still waiting on parts).

Vuze

I will be building my first computer with a non-stock cooler this weekend. I can't remember what I did last time, if I installed the stock intel cooler before putting the mobo in the pc or after.

If I decide to install the cooler before, how should I handle the motherboard when putting it in the case? This new cooler is massive compared to a stock one and pretty heavy.

thanks.

*I think with this corsair case I can install it while the mobo is already on the standoffs but I honestly don't know yet (still waiting on parts).
I just hold onto the cooler and put it in, I think that's the least stressing way for the board. Never had any issue this way.

---

My MDPCX sleeves and heatshrinks just came in, can't wait to do my first sleeves later today :)

M.D

This is probably the best place to ask this

Are the latest Nvidia drivers still causing problems? I haven't updated since that one came out where people were saying the driver were causing booting issues and such

KemoSabe

Right now I'm looking for a new Gaming Laptop.
Do you guys have any recommendations for it?
Since I have to move around a lot a Desktop is not useful, for now.

Things I want:
Max. 15"
Min. i7 6th gen
Min. gtx 970m
Max 1300€, Germany

Is that enough to play current games on high/ultra and 1080p?
4k is not needed right now.

And since the new Desktop gpus are coming is it better to wait a few weeks(months) or buy it now? I don't need it asap, so I could easily wait that long if they perfom better...

I also looked at the external gpu solutions from Alienware and msi, can you recommend those or are they useless?

Edit: maybe something like this one?
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B015CJQ6BK/

GlamFM

Banned
#happening

H2hmUxU.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
whats the general increase in performance between a 970 and 980ti? Looking at possibly spending a bit of money to upgrade as prices fall on 980tis - sell my 970 and get a used 980ti for maybe £150-200. Then hold out for a 1080ti or even 1180 sometime next year.

Running a 3570k at the moment in a bitfenix prodigy with Corsair GS600 (not great I know but will it power a 980ti?)

then next year I'd probably switch out the MB/CPU/RAM and update the GPU

paskowitz

whats the general increase in performance between a 970 and 980ti? Looking at possibly spending a bit of money to upgrade as prices fall on 980tis - sell my 970 and get a used 980ti for maybe £150-200. Then hold out for a 1080ti or even 1180 sometime next year.

Running a 3570k at the moment in a bitfenix prodigy with Corsair GS600 (not great I know but will it power a 980ti?)

then next year I'd probably switch out the MB/CPU/RAM and update the GPU

Pretty big! Especially at 1440p+. A 980 Ti can 1080p/60 just about every current game at max. 1440p/60 for 95% of games (Crysis 3, The Division, TW3, etc being minor exceptions that might require a slider or two knocked down a notch). The bigger Vram pool helps with titles like GTAV. Then you can 4K/DSR older titles (which does make them look better).

The only thing I would caution is the 980 Ti produces a fair amount of heat. If you can get an AIO watercooled card, I would recommend it. If not, just make sure you have good case airflow. The best 980 Ti's are: Gigabyte Xtreme Waterforce (water), EVGA Hybrid (water), Gigabyte Windforce (air), EVGA Classified (air).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pretty big! Especially at 1440p+. A 980 Ti can 1080p/60 just about every current game at max. 1440p/60 for 95% of games (Crysis 3, The Division, TW3, etc being minor exceptions that might require a slider or two knocked down a notch). The bigger Vram pool helps with titles like GTAV. Then you can 4K/DSR older titles (which does make them look better).

The only thing I would caution is the 980 Ti produces a fair amount of heat. If you can get an AIO watercooled card, I would recommend it. If not, just make sure you have good case airflow. The best 980 Ti's are: Gigabyte Xtreme Waterforce (water), EVGA Hybrid (water), Gigabyte Windforce (air), EVGA Classified (air).

thanks. I have a 120mm radiator on the rear for my CPU cooler but I could probably fit another 120mm in the roof of the prodigy (have a bluray drive so limited on space here).

Would a GS600 PSU be enough to drive it? Also have three drives (1 HDD, 2 SSD)

The 980 Ti is (roughly) ~50-55% faster than the 970 on average. Depends on resolution and game of course. TechPowerUp has some good combined benchmarks if you're curious.

(if you compare stock to stock or OC to OC, mind you.)

gabbo

So quick IT help question, figured this way the place to ask.
Added in 8 gb of new ram to my rig yesterday (for a total of 16), and Ive had pretty consistent bsod's and reboots/freezes since.

The new ram is the exact same clock speed and brand/etc as the ram I had in their previously.

Is Memtest86 still the best course of action?

Momentary

Banned
Where do you guys find badass desks? I've searched everywhere. I was thinking about buying some trestles fro.IKEA and slapping a table top on there, but from what I've read that stuff is not built to last and have a tendency to bend in the middle. Plus my wife doesn't want it because she said she had IKEA furniture in college and it just fell to pieces at about 2 years. She agrees that it looks good, but you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the fantastic breakdown OP, I tried building a PC with most of the same parts as the "Excellent" build on a PC parts retailer's website, just for reference/as a quick 10-minute exercise, since I'm looking into building a new PC next year.

Couple questions for all you experts: how's the Fractal Define R4 vs the Define S? The store I looked at seems to only stock the latter.

Also, would it make sense with this kind of build to swap the CM Hyper 212 EVO for a Corsair H55 Hydro, just for the sake of OC performance vs noise?

E: I'm also looking into changing monitors, and would love to experience >1080p resolution, >24-inch screen AND >60Hz refresh rate, but don't have the cash for a screen that does both well. I've been looking into the AOC Q3277PQU (32-inch WQHD, 60Hz) and it seems like a really good monitor with excellent value that would at least give me two out of the three things I want. Since I'm planning on a GTX 1070 in my next build I figure it would be good for 2K60fps for a while. Anyone have experience with that monitor? What would your suggestions be?

Also I live in continental Europe, which means I don't necessarily have access to some of the brands you US/UK/Oz GAFers do.

Added in 8 gb of new ram to my rig yesterday (for a total of 16), and Ive had pretty consistent bsod's and reboots/freezes since.

The new ram is the exact same clock speed and brand/etc as the ram I had in their previously.

Memtest86 is good, though I'd be inclined to first try some different combinations first. Go back to just the old sticks, see if they work, try putting the old sticks into the new slots, remove the old sticks and only put in the new ones....

But yeah, check that too. Also, if you're not manually setting the ram specs in the bios you should do that (voltage, speed, timings).

paskowitz

Where do you guys find badass desks? I've searched everywhere. I was thinking about buying some trestles fro.IKEA and slapping a table top on there, but from what I've read that stuff is not built to last and have a tendency to bend in the middle. Plus my wife doesn't want it because she said she had IKEA furniture in college and it just fell to pieces at about 2 years. She agrees that it looks good, but you get what you pay for.

Crate and Barrel make some nice desks

Roche and Bobios if you really want to break the bank.

Well, the first thing I would do is to revert things back to before. If back to stable then we know old ram & old slot should be ok.

Then install the new ram into the old slots. If that cause BSOD then new ram is busted. If not then the other slot is busted.

thanks. I have a 120mm radiator on the rear for my CPU cooler but I could probably fit another 120mm in the roof of the prodigy (have a bluray drive so limited on space here).

Would a GS600 PSU be enough to drive it? Also have three drives (1 HDD, 2 SSD)

My Gigabyte xtreme (not the watercooling) currently sits in a NZXT s340 case with 2 intake and exhaust fans, it barely hits 75C even when overclocked.

I have a antec-hcg 620m and its plenty so you should be right.

gabbo

Memtest86 is good, though I'd be inclined to first try some different combinations first. Go back to just the old sticks, see if they work, try putting the old sticks into the new slots, remove the old sticks and only put in the new ones....

But yeah, check that too. Also, if you're not manually setting the ram specs in the bios you should do that (voltage, speed, timings).

I've never felt comfortable doing that before (the ram I was using was stock), as I'm sure I'd fuck something up. Will look into it though.

Dave_6

This is my current build, minus the 8GB Samsung RAM that was never listed on the site.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/fwHxFT

I've been looking at the 1440p ultrawide monitors for a few weeks now, or even the 27" ROG Swift. I know my single 970 would not be able to max out most games at 1440p and 60+ FPS so I was thinking about purchasing a 1080 after they release. I began thinking though that maybe I should upgrade the mobo/CPU and RAM (to what's listed in the Enthusiast build) before getting yet another GPU. Thoughts?

BTW my 3570K is overclocked to 4.4

jordisok

Quick question PC GAF :) I need to replace my current build (from 2010) but my budget isn't so huge and with 1080/1070/polaris round the corner I was hoping to hold off buying a card for a few months and just to use the onboard graphics on a i5-6600k (I won't be gaming at ALL on it most likely, just usual browsing/streaming/etc).

How would this be? Would it put a strain on temps at all? I've never built anything without a gpu in it for any amount of time. I wouldn't be planning to OC it till I know what card I'll be getting if this has any bearing on it.

Rufus

Web browsing isn't going to tax the IGP much, so I wouldn't expect temps to be any higher than with a dedicated GPU.

Quick question PC GAF :) I need to replace my current build (from 2010) but my budget isn't so huge and with 1080/1070/polaris round the corner I was hoping to hold off buying a card for a few months and just to use the onboard graphics on a i5-6600k (I won't be gaming at ALL on it most likely, just usual browsing/streaming/etc).

How would this be? Would it put a strain on temps at all? I've never built anything without a gpu in it for any amount of time. I wouldn't be planning to OC it till I know what card I'll be getting if this has any bearing on it.
It's fine.

This is my current build, minus the 8GB Samsung RAM that was never listed on the site.

I've been looking at the 1440p ultrawide monitors for a few weeks now, or even the 27" ROG Swift. I know my single 970 would not be able to max out most games at 1440p and 60+ FPS so I was thinking about purchasing a 1080 after they release. I began thinking though that maybe I should upgrade the mobo/CPU and RAM (to what's listed in the Enthusiast build) before getting yet another GPU. Thoughts?

Do you have a particular budget? None of those things are cheap. Do you need to prioritize some?

If so, you can hang with your current CPU for a while.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I run a 1440p ultrawide with a 3570k overclocked to 4GHz (motherboard won't let me go any higher), and a 970 OC. I can't max games out but I can usually run them pretty well at 30fps with high settings, or 60fps at lower settings - or run them at 2560x1080 scaled up if needed.

CPU should be fine for a while yet - can do a replacement in 12-18 months. Maybe by then AMD will have 6-8 core Zens out and Intel will lower prices so more cores become more available at normal price points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom