• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Roto13

Does Trine get better past the part covered in the demo? I enjoyed the demo, and I'm considering buying the full game, but not if it's consistently only this good until the end. (If it matters, I'm talking about the PS3 version.)

Boney

Banned
DownLikeBCPowder said:
Totally awesome. I still don't know what these game is remotely going to be like after viewing that even, but I'm even more sure I want it.
Think Super Metroid/Fusion with a bit more cutscenes and awesome combat :)

HeySeuss

terrdactycalsrock said:
you should be able to punch the code in and start downloading things immediately
Last time I got a card I took it back because it didn't work right away and the cashier told me it takes 24 hours to activate. Is this not the case?

I got it at a similar store to Walmart.

Shick Brithouse said:
Last time I got a card I took it back because it didn't work right away and the cashier told me it takes 24 hours to activate. Is this not the case?

I got it at a similar store to Walmart.

no, what i've always done is hit the xbox guide button and scrolled over to the marketplace tab and went to redeem code. Your problem might acutally be your cashier's problem though because i've been sold MS points two diffrent ways which were out of the blister packaging and inside of the packaging. If it doesnt come in the packaging I belive that they have to activate the card at the register but if it comes in the packaging then its ready to go out of the box

Koren

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
What!? There's no way that can be true.
If that's the PC port (and the DC version, which is a port of the PC port, apparently), I don't see it as impossible.

PSX version, on the other hand, definitely not...

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Was anyone else kind of bummed that Biokinton, the penultimate boss in Super Mario Land - the cloud thing that the manual hinted was actually an incredibly shy creature hiding inside - never actually showed you what he looked like when you killed it? Because it did me. :(

Same with Mumbo Jumbo under his mask.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Is it odd that the only time im really good at any version of outrun, is when im either humming, or listening to the magnum pi theme?

MNC said:
So I'm on a Super Nintendo nostalgia trip and recently bought DKC1. Already am looking for DKC2. I live in PAL land. What am I missing?

I own:
Mario All-Stars
Mario World
Mario World 2: Yoshi's Story
Plok
Tintin in Tibet :)lol)
Super Mario Kart
Super Metroid
Kirby Super Star
Donkey Kong Country 1
Sunset Riders

I can't remember all of them
I'm looking for:
Link to the Past
DKC2

So don't mention those

The SNES is my favorite console of all time =) Some true classics that I would recommend:

Actraiser
Secret of Mana
Super Castlevania IV
Yoshi's Island
Contra III/Super Probotector
Super Turrican I-II
Tetris Attack
Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts
Another World/Out of this World
Prince of Persia
Flashback
Mega Man X
Jim Power - Lost Dimension in 3D
Demons Crest
Super Swiv
Gods

Of course, there are also the classic never-released-in-Europe RPGs like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III and Super Mario RPG, but you'll need either a modded SNES or a converter to enjoy those :)

Wazzim

Banned
Ok so I am going to get a PS3 soon in time for GT5: Is there any good solution to play on a VGA monitor like with the 360?

randomwab

PetriP-TNT said:
Does Resident Evil 2 really use Quake Engine like the wikipage for QuakeEng says?!

The PC version, ported by Gearbox, used the Quake engine as its base. I guess the Dreamcast version also does, being a port of the PC version. The original PSX version ran on Capcom's own in-house engine.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Parallax said:
Is it odd that the only time im really good at any version of outrun, is when im either humming, or listening to the magnum pi theme?

Considering there's no real pop culture analog to espouse love for the Ferrari, it seems totally normal to me.

Also, Magnum PI is awesome.

commissar

Wazzim said:
Ok so I am going to get a PS3 soon in time for GT5: Is there any good solution to play on a VGA monitor like with the 360?
As long as it is a fairly recent it should have HDCP on the DVI port. In which case all you need is an HDMI-DVI connector (& use composite or optical for audio).

If it's VGA only then it's more complicated. Google search your monitor model to see if it has HDCP on it's DVI port.
Also bear in mind that unless your monitor supports 1:1 pixel mapping or is 16:9 te image will be vertically stretched.

IrishNinja

telltale's dong all kindsa properties for point & click adventure games, yeah? I loved the Strongbad ones. Why dont they do a Ren & Stimpy one? that'd be awesome, and id buy it at a high price.

$20 on steam

I want to buy Vagrant Story on PSN. I already have an EU PSN account, however I actually live in the US. How can I accomplish this easily?

Why do bathrooms in Resident Evil games have urinals and toilet paper but no toilets? Cultural misunderstanding?
2hd5qv9.jpg

itxaka

Defeatist
What can I do to not suck on the Witcher and Divinity 2? Enemies kill me pretty easily :_(

is there a way to remove the news feed for ps3 xmb? i've heard conflicting stories

Change the year to 2011.

I spent like $35 on a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends and the damn thing gives my Cube a dirty disc error (the only GCN game that's ever done that for me). The disc looks clean but it's obviously scratched.

Can anyone give me some idea where I might get a GameCube game resurfaced? I mean some ideas about chains that might be willing to do it, or even online services I could ship the game to for resurfacing. GameStop won't do it. Blockbuster won't do it. A local chain told me they tried using their machine on a GameCube game once and the machine spit out tiny pieces of the disc.

Help me, GAF :(

Night_Trekker said:
I spent like $35 on a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends and the damn thing gives my Cube a dirty disc error (the only GCN game that's ever done that for me). The disc looks clean but it's obviously scratched.

Can anyone give me some idea where I might get a GameCube game resurfaced? I mean some ideas about chains that might be willing to do it, or even online services I could ship the game to for resurfacing. GameStop won't do it. Blockbuster won't do it. A local chain told me they tried using their machine on a GameCube game once and the machine spit out tiny pieces of the disc.

Help me, GAF :(

I think Play-n-Trade offers that.

MidnightScott said:
I think Play-n-Trade offers that.

Hmm, cool. There's not one around here but the nearest isn't that far away. I may just go on a little trip to get my game working again one day. SoA is worth it :D

Thanks, man. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

_dementia said:
is there a way to remove the news feed for ps3 xmb? i've heard conflicting stories
No, but I think you could back when it first was introduced. Thankfully, there is no news ticker on the European accounts.

StuBurns

Banned
AcciDante said:
Is there a reason it's hard to hear voices in so many games?
Some do that really annoying (yet vaguely realistic) thing of placing the characters voice within the 3D environment so moving your character close to them is required. It's irritating though. Every game should have an individual volume control for SFX, Music and Voices I think.

Cels

Trent Strong said:
How many times can I download a game I bought from PSN?

(Why has nobody asked "What is a man?" yet?)

Because everyone on GAF knows the answer is a miser- oh i can't do it

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Serenade said:
Yesterday

What? I don't get it. There was a Bayonetta sequel announcement yesterday?

itxaka said:
What can I do to not suck on the Witcher and Divinity 2? Enemies kill me pretty easily :_(

For the Witcher: Alchemy is your friend. If you're playing on hard, it's necessary to survive. You might rethink what upgrades you've applied as well. Typically it's better to favor your base stats, then your physical attacks, then your signs. Remember to use your group stance for three or more enemies, and then switch to Strong or Quick to mop up whoever is left. Being up against two Strong enemies can be tricky, so you typically want to try and dodge away and try to only face one at a time. Try to lead them into choke points like doorways, use signs to break them up, or just run away.

If you're having trouble with the first boss (the one that's on fire):
For some reason it's not common knowledge, but you can blow out the fires that spawn enemies with the Aard sign. I think it's the Aard sign, the one that's like Force Push? I didn't even see this mentioned in some official strategy guide for the game, and it makes that fight so much easier.

Secondary weapons like torches, axes, and daggers, are all completely useless. Well, Torches are good if you don't have any cateyes potions for some reason.

And from a enjoying the game point of a view, don't sweat the collectathon quests too much. They can make the game a bit of a chore.

AcciDante said:
Check your sound settings. Some games think you have surround sound speakers, which includes a center channel. Without a real center channel speaker, which is where the dialogue typically is played, it will be very difficult to hear.

AcciDante said:

The worst offenders for me are normally FPS games that take place on some type of battlefield. Devs try to mimic a "realistic" crackling over a comm system while giving me mission objectives that I can only understand after pausing the game and going into the menus to view them.

Sblargh

Banned
About pre-ordering on steam.
Will I download the game earlier and on launch it becomes playable, or "unlocking" means that after that the download will start?

StuBurns

Banned
Sblargh said:
About pre-ordering on steam.
Will I download the game earlier and on launch it becomes playable, or "unlocking" means that after that the download will start?
The first one.

Top Bottom