• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third mistrial in for police officer that murdered his daughter's black boyfriend

Mr. X

It hits all the racist cords, white cop saving his white daughter from a black lover. He's getting away with this because fuck this country.

JettDash

Maybe I just don't get it because I'm not white, but what is it about black people that white people just hate so much? I really cannot get my head around it.

For the ones that are racist, it probably just makes them feel better about themselves to think they are better. It is also a tribal us vs them thing.

Shit will never change. Like fuck no matter how much evidence you can give to prove he is guilty. just as long as he's one or two of the things a white male or a cop then he is free from consequences. The feared for my life is especially sickening that all of them now use as a defense.

Will only make more racist or unfit people to become cops and these kinda things will continue to happen.

finowns

There's something truly powerful about this.

Still I Rise
Maya Angelou, 1928 - 2014

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I’ll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
‘Cause I walk like I’ve got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I’ll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries?

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don’t you take it awful hard
‘Cause I laugh like I’ve got gold mines
Diggin’ in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I’ve got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame
I rise
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
I rise
I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

Maya Angelou is dead wtf!?

RocBase

Maybe I just don't get it because I'm not white, but what is it about black people that white people just hate so much? I really cannot get my head around it.
When you think about it racism is pretty much small dick syndrome. All this slaughter and needless infighting because of egos and/or imaginary fears. To the point where they can't stand the sight of seeing anybody else just live their damn life.

And they claim we're the animals. FOHWTBS.

The lack of self-awareness will never not be staggering.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Also posting a small update

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/cour...cle_3e0e5205-2a4f-591d-936c-4e3ad5297e5a.html

The piece of shit cop illegally brought up evidence claiming a gun was the victim's. There is no evidence that it was his so it had been prevented from being mentioned. Not sure what came of this.
Yeah, winesses secretly put a gun in the garbage at a police station while being interviewed. That totally makes sense for someone to do, and isn't a hail mary police cover up.

Yeah, this seems about right for the USA.

*long sigh*

Exactly. In Australia, that dude would be in jail so damn fast.

Story said:
In case you forgot or never heard about the case, parents kick out their daughter (age 18) out of the house for sneaking out one day. They drop her off a homeless shelter. A black guy befriends her and gives her a home. They become significant others. Furious dad goes to seek them out one day and finds them walking on the street. He confronts them and shoots the boyfriend, claiming he had a gun and was going to shoot him. No other gun was found at the scene. Multiple eyewitnesses, including his own daughter claim he was the aggressor who shot the boyfriend. All their testimonies are consistent. Only the police officer has a different story. 3 mistrials so far.

I'm in my legal studies criminal conduct standards class right now and just can't comprehend this shit. Dreadful. Spoiler alert:
We have studied and joked about the US legal system because it fucking sucks. The few US students we have are often the most vocal in this and for good reason.

Paganmoon

Any point in a fourth trial? The message is quite clear. The first trial was the best chance.

Other bits, CBS News:

The jury deadlocked 6-6, but Kunzweiler said it was unclear if the breakdown was six for conviction and six for acquittal or six for murder and six for the lesser charge of manslaughter.

KJRH:

~3 hours of deliberation before giving up. Couldn't even bother to at least try for manslaughter.

Hold up, hold up. So if 6 jurours go "He's guilty of murder" and the other 6 go "he's guilty of manslaughter" the verdict is "fuck it, we might let him go"?

Like, really?

Anyone arguing this? Seems rather clear.

Not in this thread currently, but it's pretty common in most other threads on race issues.

Hypron

Hold up, hold up. So if 6 jurours go "He's guilty of murder" and the other 6 go "he's guilty of manslaughter" the verdict is "fuck it, we might let him go"?

Like, really?

Yeah, what the fuck is this?

Can someone who's knowledgeable about American law explain how this make any sense whatsoever?

Apathy

Maybe the bf ate the gun right before he died. We just don't have all the facts.

Like all those black guys in the 90's that were shot by the cops and as their last action was sprinkling crack on themselves. Yeah not enough information for sure. Holy hell the jury in these cases are ridiculous

old

We need to end the requirement of unanimous juries or at least after the first mistrial for hung jury. There's unfortunately a number of racist assholes in this country who will never convict a cop for shooting a black guy no matter the case or evidence.

That is tragic and disgusting. It is clear both parents should pay dearly for their crimes. The jury seems highly suspect: there needs to be serious questions to how it is functioning so incompetantly.

Nipo

Yeah, what the fuck is this?

Can someone who's knowledgeable about American law explain how this make any sense whatsoever?

It needs to be unanimous. If six people refuse to convict of murder and will only say manslaughter while six other will only convict of murder without going down to manslaughter it ends up a hung jury. People don't want to compromise? He walks.

Ahasverus

It needs to be unanimous. If six people refuse to convict of murder and will only say manslaughter while six other will only convict of murder without going down to manslaughter it ends up a hung jury. People don't want to compromise? He walks.
That's some bullshit

lol

duckroll

We need to end the requirement of unanimous juries or at least after the first mistrial for hung jury. There's unfortunately a number of racist assholes in this country who will never convict a cop for shooting a black guy no matter the case or evidence.

I don't think this is a good idea. There is a good argument for whether the jury system is good to begin with, but that aside, if you stick with the idea of trusting a jury of your peers, for something like murder it should definitely be unanimous. In this scenario, you could say "well if not for these racist assholes, we could convict that motherfucker", sure. But think of the reverse. A black man on trial for murdering a white girl. There isn't strong evidence, but he's the only one the prosecution put up, and they have circumstantial evidence to show he might have been there and could have done it. Half the jury is racist and want to believe that. Should it be required that the jury be unanimous to convict? Yes? No?

Question is how do you reform it?
It's honestly very simple, the problem is you only reform what you feel isn't working as intended and the us justice system is working as intended.

Also watch how this thread it any like it barely reach half of the pages in comparison to the friend zone thread. People don't give a fuck.

Has there a more ridiculous case than this?

Like is there a case where there were multiple videos of a cop killing someone and somehow gets off for whatever stupid reason?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What in the name of fuck.

Couldn't be any more clear how the government, the police, and a good chunk of this country still feel about black people. They keep finding new ways to not surprise me.

Fuck this country man. I'd be more shocked to see what it would take to put and keep a white cop in jail for killing a black victim.

It's honestly very simple, the problem is you only reform what you feel isn't working as intended and the us justice system is working as intended.

Also watch how this thread it any like it barely reach half of the pages in comparison to the friend zone thread. People don't give a fuck.

I felt like I didn't have much to add besides "this sucks and is ridiculous."
But in response to this.
This sucks and is ridiculous. Throw him in jail.

blakep267

I Wonder how many black people were on the jury?
That's if the defense attorney doesn't try and get them relinquished of their duties. I always find that funny. A black person is "bias" so they get dismissed but somehow people who aren't black can be unbiased against cop killings and the cops always get off

shira

14329680_G.jpg
dizzy.gif

Ogodei

Told y'all I'd say this again before the month was out. White juries will NOT convict a white cop for killing a black person. A black person's death does not mean enough for a white cop to be punished. Black lives do not matter in our justice system as it is currently.

The thing of it is that defense attorneys will filter out anyone who thinks black lives do matter from the jury pool.

Couple of more fucked up things about this case:

1. the defendant retired after the shooting, collected a lump sum retirement payment of $160k, and has been collecting a $3000/mo pension retirement since. As long as he is found not guilty in a criminal case he keeps collecting that pension.

2. The daughter was adopted, so the stories that he and his wife dropped her off at a homeless shelter and shot at her during the confrontation shouldn't be crazy shocking, nor the fact that she wants him jailed. The couple also have a second adopted daughter.

3. in a previous mistrial, one of the jurors revealed that two of the jury members had a "black people are always guilty" attitude and refused to even discuss the case (lol wtf? isn't that your job?). While they haven't revealed the jury makeup or thoughts from this mistrial, it sounds like Tulsa, OK is not gonna be a place where a black guy is gonna get a fair trial. Oh, in the first trial 11 of 12 jurors found him guilty but one holdout kept it a mistrial.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...cle_deb43a2e-33f8-5cc5-bb0a-3654e191638b.html

the jury system is so fucked. heh, but add one more black person on that bench, shit woulda been over by now

Nope. Verdicts in criminal cases have to be unanimous, one more person wouldn't have meant much if 4-5 people are holding out.

Top Bottom