• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 2: SNES Classic Direct Feed Footage

J@hranimo

Banned
It's so strange they had to blur out "spoilers" to a 21 year old game. Weird embargo stuff aside, this is still very cool!

jediyoshi

It's so strange they had to blur out "spoilers" to a 21 year old game.

It's so strange you'd conflate the idea of how old it is from development with the age of a game in the context of how people usually use it in the context of spoilers.

Coming from an arcade style shooter that starfox 1 was, 2 is quite a different game and it's always confused me a bit.

I'm glad that starfox 64 was more like the original then trying to be starfox 2.

mango drank

Really really curious to see how this differs from the beta that's been online for years.

Doesn't look too different from what I'm seeing in the video. The beta was kinda bland and unfocused. A bunch of really short so-so game modes strung together.

I forget why it was cancelled back then. I think the official line is that the N64 + StarFox 64 was on its way, but I wouldn't be surprised it they cancelled it because it just wasn't very good.

Also, it's crazy to think I was playing this game unofficially 16 YEARS AGO, and it's only now being released. I am old.

BiggNife

Doesn't look too different from what I'm seeing in the video. The beta was kinda bland and unfocused. A bunch of really short so-so game modes strung together.

I forget why it was cancelled back then. I think the official line is that the N64 + StarFox 64 was on its way, but I wouldn't be surprised it they cancelled it because it just wasn't very good.

Also, it's crazy to think I was playing this game unofficially 16 YEARS AGO, and it's only now being released. I am old.

The "official" reasoning is that carts with the SuperFX 2 chip cost a lot to produce and Nintendo thought that the N64 would cannibalize SF2's sales since it had much better 3D. I wouldn't be surprised if negative focus tests were a factor. I always thought SF2 was pretty mediocre compared to 1 and 64.

(Also I know this isn't a popular opinion but I think Starfox Command handled SF2's mechanics better than SF2 did)

Here's the main difference from the leaked ROM: It's in english. Using the same font as the CES demo in 1995 (or 1996? I forgot)

More differences? Title Screen, slightly more polished, Nintendo logo has an "(R)" at the start, Corneria damage % is more random than the near final version.

EDIT: Also Expert mode is locked.

I love the look of that game so much.

The portraits, the colors, the low poly, the font they use.
Too bad they didn't bump up the framerate a bit, but hey...

Wow, so no Star Fox 64 style lock-on... It looks harder without it, but then again, the guy playing it in the video spent a lot of time shooting with the crosshair NEXT to his target instead of ON the target, lol. Really cool, though! This is actually the game I'm most excited for right now.

It's so strange they had to blur out "spoilers" to a 21 year old game. Weird embargo stuff aside, this is still very cool!

It's not weird because it's old, but it's weird because we know about the game already due to the leaked build. The spoiler is probably a General Pepper coin, or maybe it's a miniboss.

Peltz

Really hope there is a way to extract this rom and reproduce a cart to be played on original SNES hardware. I'd like to see it in genuine 240p on my CRT.

Removing the lock-on seems quite silly and for the worse, but sure, I guess.

Is it really that slow frame rate wise? Some how I thought it would be faster.

Yep. Neither game ran particularly well, but you were getting polygons out of your SNES so you didn't particularly care. The original game did manage to pull out some genuine sense of speed on the Meteor level, but that was more due clumping stuff together a bit more than other levels.

BiggNife

Really hope there is a way to extract this rom and reproduce a cart to be played on original SNES hardware. I'd like to see it in genuine 240p on my CRT.

The NES Classic was running a version of Linux and was cracked pretty quickly. I'm guessing the SNES Classic has similar architecture and will be cracked almost immediately, which means the ROM will be online.

PaulBizkit

So, now that this games has finally "released" and it's the complete version. What does it have that the original leaked rom didn't?

Looks good from the footage.

Is there more footage of the SNES classic mini? How does it handle AlttP? The Wii U VC had sound issues in the PAL version.

I'm not fully sure, but I don't remember the debris dodging segment (starting at 3:20 of that video) being in the prototype.

Each playthrough of the game is randomly generated, and I do remember seeing those and other debris segments in the leak.

I don't remember the asteroids in the Star Wolf fight, though...

So... with the current analysis, let me tell you something I'm 100% sure about:
Star Fox 2 Final is much harder than the leaked ROM.

No more lock-on (!), AI has improved, Corneria damage seems to be higher (possibly more random), Miyu and Fay don't have a double blaster anymore, and collisions are working actually better.

Basically, there are gameplay differences (more significant than you would think), definitely more polish, and the finetuning that Dylan Cuthbert was talking about is indeed there.

...just the fact there's no more lock on and improved AI means that I will take much more time to actually beat the game. As far as I'm concerned, I expect the gaming experience to be widely different from what I've played in the long run.
This has convinced me that they're not joking around, I expect Star Fox 2 to be as hard as Star Fox 1.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Game will be crazy without lock-on...and probably not in a good way.

Wonder what the General Pepper coins will do, if they're still in the game.

Checked out some video yesterday, the game looks great. It makes me wonder why Nintendo held onto this for so long without atleast releasing it on the Virtual Console.

It seems they had some pretty good ideas behind the game too, being able to travel to any planet freely within the star system, keeping watch over if planet Corneria as the game is over if it takes too much damage, open dog fights, new characters.

Shiggy

Game will be crazy without lock-on...and probably not in a good way.

Wonder what the General Pepper coins will do, if they're still in the game.

Yeah, wonder what the General Pepper medals do considering that even Dylan Cuthbert seemingly doesn't know.

starfox2_translated_03.png

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Checked out some video yesterday, the game looks great. It makes me wonder why Nintendo held onto this for so long without atleast releasing it on the Virtual Console.

It seems they had some pretty good ideas behind the game too, being able to travel to any planet freely within the star system, keeping watch over if planet Corneria as the game is over if it takes too much damage, open dog fights, new characters.

Legal issues with Super FX, same reason why Star Fox 1 hasn't seen a re-release until now.

LewieP

You would need to put it on a cartridge with an FX2 chip to make it run though.

I believe there are some methods of running a rom on real hardware with an adaptor to use the chip from another compatible cartridge (as in having two cartridges attached to the console at once), rather than needing to put the rom itself on a cartridge with an FX2, which would not be as much of a hurdle.

Legal issues with Super FX, same reason why Star Fox 1 hasn't seen a re-release until now.

Considering the ex-CEO of Argonaut was interviewed not too long ago, he said Nintendo had the patent and there was never a rights issue the whole time. So I think it's just Nintendo being too lazy to emulate SuperFX at this point.

Marcel

Judging from how fast the NES Classic was busted open you won't have to wait long.

J@hranimo

Banned
It's so strange you'd conflate the idea of how old it is from development with the age of a game in the context of how people usually use it in the context of spoilers.

The game was never released.

Since it wasn't released 21 years ago but in 2017 instead, it's pretty much a new game.

Most of this game has been known due to the rom leak. I still think it's pretty silly, despite being an official release of an old ass game.

I believe there are some methods of running a rom on real hardware with an adaptor to use the chip from another compatible cartridge (as in having two cartridges attached to the console at once), rather than needing to put the rom itself on a cartridge with an FX2, which would not be as much of a hurdle.

Weeeeeeeeell, I believe this can't be done without some messing with cartridge that has a compatible FX chip (like making your custom FX Lock-On cart). The chip's CPU can read data from ROM, which suggests it would see the chip cartridge's ROM and not whatever you would plug on the other side of the adapter.

Top Bottom