• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School |OT| Korean Horror Cult Classic Returns

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

theRizzle

Wow, I had no idea this was getting a new release. I've heard about this game for over a decade but figured I'd never get a chance to play it. Seems cool!

Thanks for the difficulty rundown.

Europe here, and counting down the days.

Is the OST any good? Tempted to switch my preorder and pay a little extra to get it.

Orb

I hope hard isnt unfair, id normally pick easy or normal but that extra ghost and story content is WAY too hard to pass up. Im so excited, its bren years.

Orbit_shadow

Neo Member
Played for an hour. Gives a "silent hill shattered memories" vibe from the gameplay, but of course much scarier with less chasing and more hiding.

I mean generally Koreans make the best horror films, so the expectations in horror seem to match in this game.

Conezays

Pre-ordered the VGPlus game + soundtrack bundle. (Do not use credit cards on VGPlus)

Really hyped to check out this game.

Thanks for mentioning this. Just ordered a copy as well :)

Never heard of this game prior but looks up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation and thread, Dusk Golem.

Yo, does anyone know where/if I could track down the physical release of the original 2001 game?

I heard it got released only in Korea, but my little digging a while back found no results. I'm not sure what online marketplace Koreans use anyways.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Soi-Fong

That was originally a spin-off for this game known as "White Day: Swan Song", to release later. However the spin-off was literally just confirmed today in the post above has become White Day 2. It also sounds like it's no longer VR exclusive but may still have support.

Oh that's cool. Excited to try this out and hoping I can snag the physical edition from Amazon for this.

dkoy

Oh hey I remember the original thread you made about the 2001 game. After reading your thread I went ahead and gave it a try but got stuck at a certain point ~2hours in and gave up because it was spooking me as well. For what it's worth, it really is a scary game (to me) so I do recommend people try it out as well. Might give it a go again since it's still sitting in my pc.

EdmondD

Looking forward to this. I believe this is in the vein of Silent Hill which is the type of horror I prefer. Saw some vids of a dude playing this in VR, looked pretty sweet.

Soi-Fong

Just pre-ordered on Amazon and will double dip on PS4. Excited to play it and support this as I want the VR version to come out here.

Dwayne

I have to ask you two if in America or not, since I know some are worried about the date change on Amazon.
Preordered from nzgameshop.com, which ships from the UK. They have the release date as Friday this week, but know full well there's no chance i'll get it before then so it's safe to ship out early.

Raitaro

Heard this game is very scary, at least the original one. Is the remake a clear improvement or does it lose some of the original's scariness in any way?

In any case, it's high on my list for my Halloween 2017 let's play viewing sessions for sure, along with Outlast 2, Resi 7's upcoming story DLC and Little Nightmares. (Since I'm too much of a coward to play these sort of games myself.) Tips on more recent horror games to add to the list are welcome as always.

I was lucky a friend found it at a specialty shop and gave it to me as a gift many years ago, but I do know copies are rare because it didn't sell great back in the day and only ever released in Korea.

Oh wow, thats awesome!

I've had it on followed searches on Ebay for 2 years and never seen it show up. So yea it seems incredibly rare, in the west at least.

Wollan

Really looking forward to play this.
Have it pre-ordered on PSN but I'm just in the midst of moving so will join in a few weeks.

Astral

I noped out of this game when I encountered the first ghost when I tried playing it on my laptop a few years ago. Didn't even get to the janitor. I never went back because it was a pain in the ass to start up and I don't really like gaming on my laptop. I'm so glad this is on console now.

So is this kinda like Corpse Party, but in First-person? Currently interested but the first-person aspect is not my favorite.

Orb

Used google translate to get the basic gist of the article, but very interesting.

They said in 2015 with the announcement that they were making a remake that they weren't just bringing White Day back to be just a remake of the original, the remake is just their first project. They talked about how they want White Day to be Korea's premiere horror game franchise, it was their plan back in the day as well but it wasn't successful at the time. However they all believed in the vision and over the last decade various members had been saving up and planning so they could reform and keep afloat for a while as they made a whole remake and enough to go beyond that too. Plus the recent mobile version was a big success.

They talked back then that their plan was to make White Day games until at least 2035, releasing at least one new White Day game every 2-3 years. They had plans going from 2015-2035 for White Day, and mentioned their goal was to turn White Day into an iconic Korean horror game series. They have formed planned for the next several entries they hope to surprise people with, starting with the remake of the original but to then after the remake to start making new entries for White Day. I will say I didn't expect Swan Song to turn into White Day 2, though.

---

They confirm the PS4/PC remake took longer than expected because it was their first time developing for consoles, they had experience with PC and Mobile but not with the Playstation 4, they had some trial and error but got it to the quality they wanted and why it released so long after the mobile port than intended. But their experience will help them greatly for their future titles.

He mentions that they put a lot of care into the PC/PS4 version, redid stuff, put in new effects, lighting, etc., not available in the mobile version, put new physics on things. He does say that because of the mobile version the quality of the game's graphics may not be to the level current console players are used to, but he hopes the extra work put in shows and people will be able to still love the game even if it's not the most graphically impressive.

Confirms the new character in the PC/PS4 version of White Day has completely new stuff built around her in the game hidden away. You can play the whole game and never meet her in the new remake, but there's secret events and chains tied to her. She doesn't interact with the main story because she was never planned for it, she has her own story you can take part in though which leads across its own new story path in the remake.

He says they made Very Easy Mode for casual players, so more casual audience can have fun too and be able to enjoy it. But he says if you're a horror fan and want to be challenged, you should play the game on hard difficulty.

They mention they have some plans for the Japanese-exclusive (currently) BlazBlue costumes that are a pre-order bonus in Japan, they have some things planned but it's to be announced later. Mention the collaboration with Arc System Works was for more than just these costumes.

It sounds like there may be an optional VR mode, but they think players expectations of the sequel will be high after the remake for audiences and wanted to make a more proper follow-up.

Mention White Day 2 is being made on Unreal Engine, and should see release in 2018. It's actually further along in development than we probably think it is, they recently sent it to rating boards since content wise it's about done, just in tuning right now.

They want to thank fans for their support, it was because of people still loving White Day 16 years later that they were able to return to it. They hope the remake makes people happy, and they also say if people wanted more than just a remake of the original game to keep their eyes on their current actions. They plan to turn White Day into Korea's premiere horror game franchise, and there is a sequel that actually is not that far off from releasing, and other projects they have in the works they hope to surprise people with.

Also a few new screens of the PC/PS4 remake:

I'll make a new topic on White Day 2 and the details.
This has me legitimately happy. Like, this is news on par with Silent Hills reveal to me. Im so excited.

I do hope WD2 isnt vr exclusive thiugh. Thatd be a huge bummer.

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Great OT, Dusk! Thanks for making it!

Very, very excited to play this (hopefully) so soon. I have the busiest week ahead of me so I probably will have to sit out for a bit while you guys enjoy it but as soon as I can I'm going to record myself playing it on Hard with my fellow comedian roommates and hope for some outrageous reactions. I don't handle horror games super well (despite really enjoying them -- or the idea of them) but, given the circumstances, I can't pass up the chance to play on the hardest (standard) difficulty on my first playthrough.

I remember wanting to play this waaay back in the day. It's really cool that it's finally getting an official western release. I'll definitely be picking this up soon.

The PS4 release situation is so murky, I'm seriously wondering if it's gonna even drop tonight in the store.

For instance, it's not in the Playstation Blog's "The Drop" for this week and the trailer on the steam page outright says 8/29 on PS4. But I wasn't sure what to believe there because it's releasing on all sorts of different dates through the territories.

Dusk Golem

Top Bottom