• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

That reminds me, what 3-drops are the zombie decks running? There was already Diregraf Colossus, but Amonkhet added Lord of the Accursed and Plague Belcher, so there's a real glut of quality zombie-tribal three drops.

And is anyone using Liliana's Mastery? 5 mana is a lot, but an anthem that comes with two bodies sounds really nice.

He was playing all three (colossus, belcher and lord). The deck looked really good just now.

That reminds me, what 3-drops are the zombie decks running? There was already Diregraf Colossus, but Amonkhet added Lord of the Accursed and Plague Belcher, so there's a real glut of quality zombie-tribal three drops.

And is anyone using Liliana's Mastery? 5 mana is a lot, but an anthem that comes with two bodies sounds really nice.

The zombies deck is running Lord of the Accursed and Plague Belcher. I expect Liliana's Mastery will be a sideboard card at best, due to how aggressive the main strategy of the deck is.

I'm free, short lists

• amonkhet is fun
  • my pools were trash
  • my pulls were trash
  • my draft was bad
  • I'm posting ok results overall but I have to fight way too hard to do so

• lol at not banning cat
  • lol at then banning cat
  • standard seems okay for now
  • gonna switch from 4c tower to grixis control

• I'd hate to go back to 3 sets per block
  • lol at already bringing back core sets
  • only having 2 blocks is not responsible for a trash story and lack of worldbuilding
  • 3 sets per block were awful, I usually was close to losing interest in the 2nd set already and the 3rd hardly even registered for me

Updated Neheb list
Neheb 3-Rack said:
Commander
3 Neheb, the Worthy

Lands (36)
0 Ancient Tomb
0 Arid Mesa
0 Barren Moor
0 Blood Crypt
0 Bloodstained Mire
0 Bojuka Bog
0 Buried Ruin
0 Cabal Coffers
0 Canyon Slough
0 Cavern of Souls
0 Command Tower
0 Dakmor Salvage
0 Dragonskull Summit
0 Drownyard Temple
0 Forgotten Cave
0 Geier Reach Sanitarium
0 Ghost Quarter
0 Keldon Megaliths
0 Lavaclaw Reaches
0 Marsh Flats
0 Mountain
0 Polluted Delta
0 Rix Maadi, Dungeon Palace
0 Rogue's Passage
0 Scalding Tarn
0 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
0 Smoldering Marsh
0 Snow-Covered Mountain
0 Snow-Covered Swamp
0 Strip Mine
0 Sulfurous Springs
0 Swamp
0 Tainted Peak
0 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
0 Verdant Catacombs
0 Wooded Foothills

Artifacts (20)
2 Anvil of Bogardan
1 Basilisk Collar
3 Crucible of Worlds
3 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Expedition Map
1 Key to the City
2 Lightning Greaves
0 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
2 Mind Stone
3 Obsidian Battle-Axe
2 Rakdos Signet
1 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Smokestack
2 Smuggler's Copter
1 Sol Ring
2 Talisman of Indulgence
4 Uba Mask
3 Wheel of Torture
3 Whispersilk Cloak

Enchantments (13)
2 Bitterblossom
3 Blood Moon
1 Bloodchief Ascension
3 Bottomless Pit
3 Desolation
4 Leyline of the Void
3 Necrogen Mists
4 Outpost Siege
3 Phyrexian Arena
1 Quest for the Nihil Stone
1 Shrieking Affliction
4 Stranglehold
2 Waste Not

Instants (5)
3 Chaos Warp
1 Dark Ritual
1 Lightning Bolt
2 Tainted Pact
1 Vampiric Tutor

Sorceries (15)
2 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Burning Inquiry
1 Crack the Earth
4 Damnation
2 Demonic Tutor
2 Dreadbore
1 Faithless Looting
4 Ill-Gotten Gains
2 Infernal Tutor
1 Innocent Blood
3 Pox
2 Recoup
2 Smallpox
1 Subterranean Tremors
3 Yawgmoth's Will

Planeswalkers (1)
3 Liliana of the Veil

Creatures (9)
4 Anger
4 Erebos, God of the Dead
4 Filth
3 Magus of the Will
4 Mindslicer
4 Mogis, God of Slaughter
2 Reassembling Skeleton
3 Squee, Goblin Nabob
4 Solemn Simulacrum
I decided to take out most of the discard punishment and focused on getting people hellbent, it's working pretty great now. I probably still want to put Necro in anyways because of how strong it is.

Played some more commander today and had the most ridiculous Narset game, turn 3 narset with greaves flipping 2 walkers and inexorable tide, leading to an ajani the steadfast emblem, turn 4 mystical tutor for deploy the gatewatch ultimate chandra for casting it 3 times. Lead to having karn ugin jtms narset another chandra and tamiyo on board also ultimated narset and ugin and played time spiral afterwards.

My KT deck is a monstrosity, it's stronger than my Zur deck right now, which I'll transform into Ad Nauseam as soon as I get a force of will.

that's all

I'm free, short lists

• I'd hate to go back to 3 sets per block
  • lol at already bringing back core sets
  • only having 2 blocks is not responsible for a trash story and lack of worldbuilding
  • 3 sets per block were awful, I usually was close to losing interest in the 2nd set already and the 3rd hardly even registered for me

You might have missed my post about it, but that core set survey was very likely fake. That one picture is the only evidence and it's just text, the only other place talking about it was the original Reddit thread, and no one else has seen it.

You might have missed my post about it, but that core set survey was very likely fake. That one picture is the only evidence and it's just text, the only other place talking about it was the original Reddit thread, and no one else has seen it.
Ah, I was lurking quite a bit but must have missed that. I like to harp on wotc but for all they've changed in recent years, that change I can wholeheartedly get behind.

Going through the more than a decade I've attended prereleases the only sets I skipped were 2nd and 3rd sets and some of these I bought no product at all from
Welcome back.
Thx, another slap on the wrist really. Though I'd be curious whom to message when you want to argue the point you were banned for. I don't necessarily disagree with the ban, and I won't be likely to repeat the offense, but I do kinda stand behind what got me banned.

Santiako

Thx, another slap on the wrist really. Though I'd be curious whom to message when you want to argue the point you were banned for. I don't necessarily disagree with the ban, and I won't be likely to repeat the offense, but I do kinda stand behind what got me banned.

Probably whatever mod was posting in the thread that got you banned, but the best thing is probably to just let it go lest the mod gets mad and perma bans you :p

Yeah, I feel like if it's a temp ban it's better to just let it go. It's like getting stopped by a traffic cop who lets you off with a warning, and then saying, "No, I did nothing wrong, let's take this shit to court!" No winning percentage in that play.

I personally find Neheb extremely unworthy, but I'm interested to see if maybe the Heckbent Deck does materialize once people have had time to adjust to the Cat Ban. I still feel like it won't, because having an empty hand is just so inherently punitive that these meager benefits don't even come close to compensating for it.

Maybe if Liliana of the Veil was in Standard it could be a thing.

Fair enough, I'll just let it go.

Hellbent is a valid strategy only when it's universal. Most decks aren't build for not having cards in hand but if yours is and your opponent's isn't you're winning when the both of you are at equilibrium.
My EDH deck with Neheb deck for instance has no card more expensive than 4 mana and it's almost entirely sorcery speed.

I've let Neheb live in limited multiple times just so my opponent would discard as I was flooded. In standard I don't expect him to ever be good, he's a clear edh plant.

Repgnar

So i'm new to this whole thing. Hypothetically speaking, if people buy in to this BW zombies deck what effect does that have on the cards? Would we see the 2 dollar rares jump in price or?

Santiako

Day 2 metagame breakdown for SCG Atlanta:

Mardu Vehicles – 28
B/G Delirium – 14
U/R Control – 7
Jeskai Control – 6
G/W Tokens – 6
B/G Aggro – 5
Temur Aetherworks – 4
B/G Energy – 3
Sultai Delirium – 3
G/R Monsters – 3
B/R Eldrazi – 3
G/R Energy – 3
Bant Aetherworks – 3
Sultai Control – 3
U/R Emerge – 3
W/R Humans – 3
B/R Aggro – 2
Jund Delirium – 2
Jund Monsters – 2
Mono-Black Zombies – 1
Mono-Black Aggro – 1
Mono-White Humans – 1
G/R Aetherworks – 1
Temur Dynavolt – 1
Abzan Aggro – 1
Bant Control – 1
B/W Zombies – 1
Abzan Midrange – 1
W/B Midrange – 1
U/W Flash – 1
U/R Thermo-Alchemist – 1
U/G Ramp – 1

Santiako

So i'm new to this whole thing. Hypothetically speaking, if people buy in to this BW zombies deck what effect does that have on the cards? Would we see the 2 dollar rares jump in price or?

Not unless a million people go to buy it. Rares in standard tend to stay cheap (unless it's a 4x in every deck -like walking ballista- or sees play in multiple formats -like the fast lands or walking ballista-), mythics are the ones that can get expensive. If the deck get very popular you might see the 2 dollar rares jump to 3-5 bucks but that should be it.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
One of the best things Amonkhet introduced is the Token card with the counters you can pop out. If they don't continue that in future sets where necessary (energy counters, +1/+1 counters, Monstrosity counters, etc) I will be disappointed.

Tunoku

Went 2-3 drop at the Draft Qualifier thing we had today. Pretty bummed out about it. I felt like I could have gone 2-1 with my first draft, but mulled to five in game three of round 1. First deck was a GU ramp deck, with good card advantage generation, but a slim top end.

Draft 2 went way better with a strong BR aggro deck. I only had 4 two-drops, but made up for it with strong removal and good threes. Lost my match barely due to a play error on my end, because my opponent had the Cut Aftermath card in his graveyard(He had 6 mana and I was at 5). He had a 2/1 and a 1/3 flier, I had to tapped down creatures due to that instant he boarded in between games. With him at 2 life, I would have won on the next turn. I had the Uncommon Minotaur and should have just put a counter on the 1/3 instead of the 2/1. That way he only wins if he draws a land (which he didn't). It was just an unintuitive line to take, and I didn't see it. Still my loss.

The format feels a lot faster than I initially imagined, but some folks might be undervaluing Blue in the set. Yes, it's slow, but I saw some extremely powerful Blue Uncommons pretty late in the pack during the second draft. It's not impossible to win if you're not beating down.

Anyway, glad I went to the tournament, because it was my first time participating in a competitive draft, with pool registration, card counting, etc. Didn't open any money Rares, but a friend got a Daze Invocation and the art on it was just gorgeous. Took me 10 seconds to actually recognize the name of the card though.

---

Welcome back, Vogel!

DrArchon

One of the best things Amonkhet introduced is the Token card with the counters you can pop out. If they don't continue that in future sets where necessary (energy counters, +1/+1 counters, Monstrosity counters, etc) I will be disappointed.

It was actually really helpful for me during prerelease. Not so much for the -1/-1 counters and the brick counters, but no one had the token cards for embalm creatures and I can't imagine how much a pain in the ass exert would've been without it.

Funny thing, I think I was the only one there to actually pop out and use the damn things. No one else seemed to bother with it, not even the new players. Weird.

It was actually really helpful for me during prerelease. Not so much for the -1/-1 counters and the brick counters, but no one had the token cards for embalm creatures and I can't imagine how much a pain in the ass exert would've been without it.

Funny thing, I think I was the only one there to actually pop out and use the damn things. No one else seemed to bother with it, not even the new players. Weird.
I just represent embalm by taking the cards out of the sleeves. Exert I tap the other way.
Went 2-3 drop at the Draft Qualifier thing we had today. Pretty bummed out about it. I felt like I could have gone 2-1 with my first draft, but mulled to five in game three of round 1. First deck was a GU ramp deck, with good card advantage generation, but a slim top end.

Draft 2 went way better with a strong BR aggro deck. I only had 4 two-drops, but made up for it with strong removal and good threes. Lost my match barely due to a play error on my end, because my opponent had the Cut Aftermath card in his graveyard(He had 6 mana and I was at 5). He had a 2/1 and a 1/3 flier, I had to tapped down creatures due to that instant he boarded in between games. With him at 2 life, I would have won on the next turn. I had the Uncommon Minotaur and should have just put a counter on the 1/3 instead of the 2/1. That way he only wins if he draws a land (which he didn't). It was just an unintuitive line to take, and I didn't see it. Still my loss.

The format feels a lot faster than I initially imagined, but some folks might be undervaluing Blue in the set. Yes, it's slow, but I saw some extremely powerful Blue Uncommons pretty late in the pack during the second draft. It's not impossible to win if you're not beating down.

Anyway, glad I went to the tournament, because it was my first time participating in a competitive draft, with pool registration, card counting, etc. Didn't open any money Rares, but a friend got a Daze Invocation and the art on it was just gorgeous. Took me 10 seconds to actually recognize the name of the card though.

---

Welcome back, Vogel!
Friend of mine also went there today, he went 0-3 got a bye and then dropped. I would have gone as well if it weren't for commander at the magiccorner. I like playing there as the powerlevel is generally a bit higher but today I ended up in a lower power pod being that guy with the broken decks.

Agreed on blue being underrated, it got some of the cheapest emblam creatures, powerful flyers, essence scatter and easy two for ones.

Daedardus

Is there any chance that high value cards heavily played in both Standard and Modern will drop in price after rotation? Mostly taking about Grim Flayer, Collective Brutality and Kalitas. I currently think that Liliana, the Last Hope can't maintain this price in Modern alone and will drop a bit after that. But past experiences have always been mixed on these things, sometimes they drop, sometimes they remain stable. I'm guessing they drop first due to rotation but creep back up because no product gets opened anymore. I just need to know if it would be better to wait half a year to pick up a playset, I don't need them immediately too. I expected Kolaghan's Command to drop quite a bit, but now it's even higher than before rotation.

What do you guys usually in these cases where you are picking up staples on a budget? Of course, this is all barring that any major metagame shifts in Modern occur in the following months.

I didn't punch out the actual markers, preferring to still use dice for -1/-1 counters, but I was able to place the marker card under a card that was exerted or embalmed, with the relevant line of text right above the creature, and it was useful for that.

Just as I was going through last two pages trying to find the link - thanks, appreciated!

*nice avy btw ;)

Thanks, here's the full size version (warning: pony).

Santiako

Is there any chance that high value cards heavily played in both Standard and Modern will drop in price after rotation? Mostly taking about Grim Flayer, Collective Brutality and Kalitas. I currently think that Liliana, the Last Hope can't maintain this price in Modern alone and will drop a bit after that. But past experiences have always been mixed on these things, sometimes they drop, sometimes they remain stable. I'm guessing they drop first due to rotation but creep back up because no product gets opened anymore. I just need to know if it would be better to wait half a year to pick up a playset, I don't need them immediately too. I expected Kolaghan's Command to drop quite a bit, but now it's even higher than before rotation.

What do you guys usually in these cases where you are picking up staples on a budget? Of course, this is all barring that any major metagame shifts in Modern occur in the following months.

Collective Brutality is only going to keep going up, the card is seeing tons and tons of play in Modern. Grim Flayer and Kalitas can't see dropping much either since they see quite a bit of play in Modern as well.

Collective Brutality is only going to keep going up, the card is seeing tons and tons of play in Modern. Grim Flayer and Kalitas can't see it dropping much either since they see quite a bit of play in Modern as well.

hasn't it creeped into legacy reanimator even? I don't see any of these cards dropping either. Kalitas and Grim Flayer already dropped in play in modern considerably with the resurgence of abzan company and death's shadow taking over jund.

DrArchon

I just represent embalm by taking the cards out of the sleeves. Exert I tap the other way.

Smart. A lot of people I played against didn't have sleeves though, so the embalm tokens were helpful for them. Tapping the other way for exert is a nice idea though. I'll try that out next time I can't get my hands on those markers.

I still think the punch out cards are a great idea for newer players who might get confused more easily and I applaud WotC for including them.

Santiako

hasn't it creeped into legacy reanimator even? I don't see any of these cards dropping either. Kalitas and Grim Flayer already dropped in play in modern considerably with the resurgence of abzan company and death's shadow taking over jund.

I don't really follow legacy but I wouldn't be surprised, the card is extremely powerful.

Tunoku

Collective Brutality is only going to keep going up, the card is seeing tons and tons of play in Modern. Grim Flayer and Kalitas can't see dropping much either since they see quite a bit of play in Modern as well.

Tireless Tracker might get cheaper, but it's probably gonna hold some value as well.

EDIT: Wow, Mono Black Aggro is still in contention.

Curses have a low "complexity cost", so they feel comfortable just having one or two when appropriate.

EDIT: First Cast Out cycle on camera?

kirblar

Walking Ballista getting printed is insane to me, it's all the issues NWO sought to correct in a single constructed playable colorless creature.

I know NWO is about limited. I am saying that the board complexity issues that NWO prevents got immediately magnified throughout constructed through one single creature being printed. I don't think this was a good idea.

It's not even really about limited. It's about new players. The cards most new players aren't playing constructed they are just playing with cards they pick up from packs or wherever. Most of the cards they see are commons so NWO keeps complexity out of common and pushes it into higher rarities. You can argue the board complexity is bad for standard or whatever but usually I hear players clamoring for more complexity.

Oh, this U/R Emerge deck looks interesting with the 1R 4/3 minotaur and Reduce // Rubble.

I saw that match and I do not understand playing that card outside of dynavolt tower decks. In a tower deck you pay 3 to ice 3 lands and generate 2 energy for free. Running out of spells to cast is the 2nd most cause of losing from my experience.

Walking Ballista getting printed is insane to me, it's all the issues NWO sought to correct in a single constructed playable colorless creature.
I mean, at least there's no more damage on the stack so he's not as stupid?

Ballista feels me that they wanted an "Anti Hangarback Walker" without realising how strong HBW was.

kirblar

I saw that match and I do not understand playing that card outside of dynavolt tower decks. In a tower deck you pay 3 to ice 3 lands and generate 2 energy for free. Running out of spells to cast is the 2nd most cause of losing from my experience.
It works very well alongside deep fried elder. You need a tempo aspect to make Reduce/Rubble work.
I mean, at least there's no more damage on the stack so he's not as stupid?

Ballista feels me that they wanted an "Anti Hangarback Walker" without realising how strong HBW was.
It's just a card that's absolutely miserable to play against because it gives your opponent too many options with no counterplay.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Collected company and tokens board states were also a nightmare. I don't see a problem with complexity in constructed.

Top 4 is three Mardu Vehicles and one W/R Humans? Well, no reason to be worried yet. It's the only big known deck from the previous format, so it's only natural that people would flock toward it with only a few days to prepare. We'll see how things really shape out in the Pro Tour.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
A new Twitter account has sprung up

wTC9GnX.png

The Fall 2019 block is Archery-Baseball. People in Wizards were getting confused about the order of blocks, so they've switched to just doing them in alphabetical order, and they no longer follow the "A and B" format.

As much as I hate to sabotage my own argument, I feel compelled by honesty to point out that this is exactly what you'd do if you wanted publicly-usable codenames for 2019+ sets without giving away the size/structure of blocks. :p

(That said, that's a minimum of four more 2-set blocks before we hit that window, so.)

I'm really not sure why you are so obsessed with arguing over the point

I just think it's weird to be really insistent that some specific individual person is being foolish by being very insistent about something and then, when confronted with evidence that they don't really care about that thing, to fall back on "yeah well something I can't actually cite proves I was right to call this person out!"

Basically everywhere in the MTG community is full of people rudely calling out visible individuals at WotC for shit they didn't even personally do, we don't need to add to the pile.

Collected company and tokens board states were also a nightmare. I don't see a problem with complexity in constructed.

The specific issue with something like Ballista (and we saw this in Lorwyn and other similar problem environments in the past) is that it doesn't cost mana to use, so it's constantly, passively affecting 100% of combat and spell math on the board the entire time it's alive, and it blanks a lot of answers because there's no way to catch it in an "off" state. I don't think it's the absolute worst to have a single card like that, but it's definitely a real issue and there's a reason very very few cards with that quality get printed anymore.

I would have rather had a Walking Ballista that did damage equal to its Power for the cost of removing a +1/+1 counter, but had to tap to do it. At least then it would be somewhat interactive and would have a spin-up time.

eagerly awaiting the Gideon, AoZ emergency ban

I think he's safe until they start calling the deck "Mardu Gideons" on-stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom