• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperionX

This has all the makings of a bad car so I'd stay away from buying... At least until 1 year after it comes out and no bad news comes out during that time.

Doodis

I really think people are blowing this screen thing out of proportion. Is the 10-inch difference from the center of the steering wheel to the corner of the screen in the image below really make-or-break for people that were going to buy this car? Seems pretty silly to me, and I wonder if the detractors are just negative on Tesla in the first place.

1490394960_TeslaDisplay.jpg

This has all the makings of a bad car so I'd stay away from buying... At least until 1 year after it comes out and no bad news comes out during that time.

And, why, exactly, does this have the makings of a bad car? Because it won't have a HUD like people speculated and because there will be a feature ramp up just as they did with the Model S? I think you're blowing things out of proportion here, unless you've got other facts to back that claim up.

Ashes

Banned
The speedometer feels like a step back to be honest. We're in the era of digital cockpits. And Tesla went away from cockpits. Think that's a consumer 'no no'. At least from my perspective.

HyperionX

And, why, exactly, does this have the makings of a bad car? Because it won't have a HUD like people speculated and because there will be a feature ramp up just as they did with the Model S? I think you're blowing things out of proportion here, unless you've got other facts to back that claim up.

So yeah, there's lots of bad news coming out, much worse than I thought. I knew they'll have to cut costs to reach pricing goals, but not like this. A center mounted instrument cluster is something you'd see in a Saturn Ion, not a luxury car. That's a bad sign of impending awfulness in the interior. They're also skipping beta testing to get this car out faster. Not a good look for a company with quality/reliability issues. I'd stay far away from the first year run of this car.

spwolf

Good compilation of autopilot preventing accidents: https://youtu.be/rphN3R6KKyU

it can be applied to any good autocrash system that many manufacturers have these days, it is free equipment in many Toyotas. NHTSA says that these systems lowered amount of crashes by 40% in their research between 2014 and 2016. So definitely for my next car it is a must have equipment.

But it has to be said that the system in Tesla 3 is not the same, uses different sensors and it is not fully on yet. It is also reported that it still does not work anywhere as well as Mobileye based system from last year.

spwolf

So yeah, there's lots of bad news coming out, much worse than I thought. I knew they'll have to cut costs to reach pricing goals, but not like this. A center mounted instrument cluster is something you'd see in a Saturn Ion, not a luxury car. That's a bad sign of impending awfulness in the interior. They're also skipping beta testing to get this car out faster. Not a good look for a company with quality/reliability issues. I'd stay far away from the first year run of this car.

interior can still look nice... obviously they are saving some features for Model S, it makes sense, thats how it is done.

As to skipping beta testing, yeah, it is going to be rock and roll but people still love Tesla so they might not mind.

Doodis

See, the center mount to me is just an indication that it's "not like it used to be." Do you really feel that it's not going to work or not able to give you all the relevant info you need? No, you just don't like that it's slightly to your right instead of directly in front of you. And that's fine if that's your preference, but it's not indicative that the car is "bad."

And skipping beta is due to the fact that they're far enough along that they don't feel they need that step. Again, just because everybody else has done it doesn't mean they have to.

But it has to be said that the system in Tesla 3 is not the same, uses different sensors and it is not fully on yet. It is also reported that it still does not work anywhere as well as Mobileye based system from last year.

They just released an update yesterday that basically brings all current AP2 models to feature parity with AP1 (MobilEye models). They're still only using two of the eight cameras on the car. They will quickly surpass the MobilEye capability as they bring more cameras online.

spwolf

See, the center mount to me is just an indication that it's "not like it used to be." Do you really feel that it's not going to work or not able to give you all the relevant info you need? No, you just don't like that it's slightly to your right instead of directly in front of you. And that's fine if that's your preference, but it's not indicative that the car is "bad."

And skipping beta is due to the fact that they're far enough along that they don't feel they need that step. Again, just because everybody else has done it doesn't mean they have to.

They just released an update yesterday that basically brings all current AP2 models to feature parity with AP1 (MobilEye models). They're still only using two of the eight cameras on the car. They will quickly surpass the MobilEye capability as they bring more cameras online.

thats a lot of PR you are posting... skipping beta is not good for car development, especially with Tesla having such a bad record on reliability. They are skipping it because they need to launch soon, hopefully it works out for them but i dont see how.

And no, they are missing a ton of features, including the basic AEB that people posted in youtube video that I responded to... plus up until now, what was there was not working reliably at all compared to AP1.

stolen from reddit on missing features:

Things missing from AP1 parity still:
Autosteer / Cruise Control to 90 MPH (80mph now)
Blind spot detection
Automatic Wipers
Automatic High Beams
Auto emergency braking

Reading speed limit signs
Auto perpendicular parking

Basic functionality that is now very cheap or free for many 20k-30k non-luxury vehicles is still not available. AEB is mandatory for getting 5 stars in most crash tests these days.

I cant imagine anyone else doing what Tesla is doing and not having class action lawsuits againsts them. But people love Tesla, so thats good for Tesla... hopefully Model 3 comes out with minimum issues and AP2 gets some basic functionality soon.

Having HUD is really least of the problems, and it is not a problem at all. For good of Tesla as a company, they need to delivery somewhat reliable car in decent numbers with decent features for $35k and still make money on it.

Doodis

thats a lot of PR you are posting... skipping beta is not good for car development, especially with Tesla having such a bad record on reliability. They are skipping it because they need to launch soon, hopefully it works out for them but i dont see how.

And no, they are missing a ton of features, including the basic AEB that people posted in youtube video that I responded to... plus up until now, what was there was not working reliably at all compared to AP1.

stolen from reddit on missing features:

Basic functionality that is now very cheap or free for many 20k-30k non-luxury vehicles is still not available. AEB is mandatory for getting 5 stars in most crash tests these days.

I cant imagine anyone else doing what Tesla is doing and not having class action lawsuits againsts them. But people love Tesla, so thats good for Tesla... hopefully Model 3 comes out with minimum issues and AP2 gets some basic functionality soon.

Having HUD is really least of the problems, and it is not a problem at all. For good of Tesla as a company, they need to delivery somewhat reliable car in decent numbers with decent features for $35k and still make money on it.

You are right, there is a list of outstanding features missing. But another month or two and they'll be added in, and that particular argument will be a moot point.

And yes, I am the pro-Tesla PR yin to your yang. ;)

There have been multiple Model 3 sightings near Tesla HQ in Fremont recently.

If this isn't viral previewing of the car leading up to the official announcement, I don't know what is. We must be close. I still want to see Elon's solution for no instrument panel and no HUD. It better not be a goddamn speed indicator in the upper left corner of the single center screen.

Doodis

If this isn't viral previewing of the car leading up to the official announcement, I don't know what is. We must be close. I still want to see Elon's solution for no instrument panel and no HUD. It better not be a goddamn speed indicator in the upper left corner of the single center screen.

Prepare for disappointment. Elon has said multiple times that there is one display.

mf.luder

Why? If you shed everything you know about cars and look at this from a completely new point of view none of that should matter.

Embrace it. I don't know if its a true quote or not but I think this applies perfectly:

"If I asked people what they wanted they would've said a faster horse" -Henry Ford

Why? If you shed everything you know about cars and look at this from a completely new point of view none of that should matter.

Embrace it. I don't know if its a true quote or not but I think this applies perfectly:

"If I asked people what they wanted they would've said a faster horse" -Henry Ford

Yup. People really want it to be a regular car just with a EV power train. It looks like this is supposed to be the Model T equivalent and is supposed to bring about a paradigm shift.

I'm all on board. Just won't be able to afford one till 2019 or 2020.

Ashes

Banned

Not sure I agree. Seems more like a measure to cut costs. It is definitely a differentiator but digital cockpits are so god damn awesome and futuristic that I think the lack of it lends an automatic win for competing cars.

Doodis

Not sure I agree. Seems more like a measure to cut costs. It is definitely a differentiator but digital cockpits are so god damn awesome and futuristic that I think the lack of it lends an automatic win for competing cars.

It's definitely a measure to cut costs. That said, I'm not worried about it. It's not a big deal to me, but I understand why it might be for others. To each their own.

I'm pretty sure I saw a Model 3 on the road while driving around my town last week (I live roughly 25 minutes away from the Fremont HQ). At first, I barely recognized the front and thought it was the Model X, but then I saw that it looked more like a squat-looking Model S with a spoiler once it turned the corner.

It did look pretty cool.

I'm going the other way, I'm thinking of picking up a CPO Model S with Autopilot 1.0. I want a goddamned instrument cluster so I know how fast I'm going when the cop pulls me over.

It won't ever be fully autonomous, but it's still really up in the air how close the current AP 2.0 hardware can get as well and I figure by the time fully autonomous cars are widespread and the laws allow it I'll probably be looking at my next car anyways.

Considering that IF (big IF) there is a Ludicrous mode for Model 3 it will probably cost $10k for the upgrade like on the Model S, if I want to launch I won't be able to do better than a CPO P85D in terms of dollars per 0 to 60.

You also get to keep the lifetime powertrain and battery warranty the Model S originally came with, get the full 4 years/50,000 mile warranty with CPO that's same as buying new, and any CPO Model S made before Supercharging stopped being free also keeps free Supercharging forever. I'm pretty sure the Model 3 will not have an unllimited powertrain/battery warranty and we already know Supercharging will not be free. There's a lot of little things which add up that make a CPO Model S a really great value compared to a tricked-out new Model 3 which will probably be pushing $50k before tax incentive.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
It's definitely a measure to cut costs. That said, I'm not worried about it. It's not a big deal to me, but I understand why it might be for others. To each their own.

It's not going to make a bit of difference whether you have to look down or down and slightly right. I was all for a HUD, but I realized having the speedometer twelve inches away will take all of an hour to get used to.

Am I crazy or does that look way too much like a Porsche from the front?

I always said it looked like the front end of a Cayenne or something, looks to be the case. Don't really like the rest of the proportions. Looks like a squished Model S. While the Model X looks like a bloated one.

Model S is the only good looking one of the lotm

I bought an Impreza sport with Eyesight 3.0 today for 25k to hold me for a few years. I wish Tesla well and hope to buy one someday; I don't think the initial 3 is the car for me.

This dash plus AWD plus emergency braking, adaptive cruise, etc.

3YUP5v8.jpg

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Slapping a giant screen as a dash replacement sounds nice at first, but its lazy and unergonomic and it looks kind of crap. :'(

Wth are they thinking.

Slapping a giant screen as a dash replacement sounds nice at first, but its lazy and unergonomic and it looks kind of crap. :'(

Wth are they thinking.

It's a great way to cut costs and streamline production.

And it's better than having parts from a low-end car stitched onto luxury vehicles (like many do for the same reasons).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

And it's better than having parts from a low-end car stitched onto luxury vehicles (like many do for the same reasons).

its also upgrdeable. it can incorporate new inventions and modes of input. the subaru above is stuck with that, and even replacing switches can cost what that entire, easily replaceable screen does.

its also upgrdeable. it can incorporate new inventions and modes of input. the subaru above is stuck with that, and even replacing switches can cost what that entire, easily replaceable screen does.

Exactly; both in hardware and software.

With the right tools it could double as a mobile office xD

Doesn't a country's energy source need to move away from fossil fuels for the environment to benefit though? You might not be putttinf petrol in the car, but oil could be burning to charge it up.

Tk0n

Doesn't a country's energy source need to move away from fossil fuels for the environment to benefit though? You might not be putttinf petrol in the car, but oil could be burning to charge it up.

Energy production is more efficient in a power plant than it is in a car engine. To use an example with an identical source fuel, burning natural gas in a power plant is about 60% efficient, meaning 40% of the energy of the fuel is lost in the energy production process. In a car, burning gas is less than 25% efficient, with the vast majority of the energy lost to heat. The larger more complex system at a power plant will always be far better at capturing waste heat than a tiny car engine. The increased efficiency means that even a car running purely on coal-generated electricity will emit carbon at the same rate as a gas car that gets 30 miles per gallon—which would be a significantly cleaner-than-average gas car.

Source:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

Its not. You can't do anything by muscle memory, you have to take your eyes off the road to do even the most mundane shit witch is equivalent of driving while texting since there is on haptic feedback. The iDrive systems and various dials and knobs of the world are there for a reason.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Soooo much Sexy........ detractors simply are scared that their favorite brand will have to work harder (like Console Fanboys car brands have fanboys ;)).
So car brand wars are the new forum nonsense now?

Funny post since you seem to be supporting exactly what you are attacking here.

Dehnus

Wth are they thinking.

sshhhh... shhhh.. it's okay... VW, GM and Ford will eventually catch up. Shhhhhhhh, just go to bed, cry a few tears and wake up the next day with nice new ideas :).

Off center speedometers have been existing for a long time, like in the Mini or in Citroëns and they work fine.

Just... accept the future. It's okay.

Dehnus

So car brand wars are the new forum nonsense now?

Funny post since you seem to be supporting exactly what you are attacking here.

Ooh I like other brands,

I love Mazda (MX5 from the 90's is sexy too ;)).

I love the Bug (Herbie! YAY! :))

Ford has it's moments.

Suzuki, the little engines that CAN! :)

But yeah, I think that Tesla is the wave of the future and that their designs are fantastic!

If you can't deal with it? That is your problem :).

I just think that eventually the other brands will catch up ;).

Until then I'll oggle the Model 3 and hope that eventually I'll be able to afford one too :).

Features like changing cruise control speed should be at your fingertips without taking your hands off the wheel. I can tap up and down to change speed in 5mph increments, or hold up and down for finer increments, without even thinking about it let alone looking away from the road and taking a hand off the wheel, and with tactile feedback. A screen is not a proper replacement for all controls.

Off center speedometers have been existing for a long time, like in the Mini or in Citroëns and they work fine.

Just... accept the future. It's okay.

A number on a screen is no substitute for a proper dial speedometer.

AWD, a proper speedometer, and (now) automatic emergency braking are three things that I insist on in any car I buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom