• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

LotusHD

Banned
I can't complain much about this game, aside from the girls' outfits(can't take ending A seriously when 2b's skirt is half rip apart) and self destruct my only issue was the animation on that scene, actually(as far as i remember, at least)

And 9s was greedy, you guys DID see that stabbing 2b scene,right? That was meant to have some sexual innuendo(another awesome scene, dammit)

Speaking of greediness, I recall that in Route B where he's helping 2B with her settings, he can be a little pervy there as well. Think it had to do with the vibration settings or something.

It takes a singular type of person to remain optimistic and cheerful after being on Yoko Taro's Wild Ride for ten thousand years.

Speaking of greediness, I recall that in Route B where he's helping 2B with her settings, he can be a little pervy there as well. Think it had to do with the vibration settings or something.

That scene is only as perverted as you are. :p

Well, if Jackass was right about androids deriving arousal from killing...

Plus you have the stories of Virtuous Grief and Cruel Lament, both where people get confused between loving and killing someone.

That scene is only as perverted as you are. :p

For me the vibration actually didn't work! I assumed it was maximally awkward on purpose.

So I just got ending E
and sacrificed my save

This being the only Yoko Taro game I've played, is there a good resource to get the full story and connections between Drakenguard, Nier, and Automata?

Before I knew who Emil really was, I just thought, "Man, that face is ugly!"

Now after I watched a summary on their past and finished most of their quests in Automata before beating the game (Finding the Lunar Tears, Stealing their items for a fight, etc.), I just want to hug them! ;__;

I played in the Japanese dub, so that's what I know them by and they are too adorable. Hell, their store song is too adorable! Their presence was easily one of the better parts of Automata (and about the best part of the optional content) and I didn't even play the original Nier. Crazy.

Emil's English voice is good, too. Sounds very similar to the Japanese VA.

I actually had a similar reaction to Emil. (My first encounter with the face was watching an interview with Yoko Taro wearing it. He was talking about his interest in Undertale, iirc.) I thought his face was terrifying, but then I found that it belonged to the purest cinnamon roll to ever have the misfortune of being born in the Taroverse.

Here's the scene. Actually, I think it was supposed to be a weird time for everyone. Since he's in charge of her maintenance now that he's her partner, it might be protocol to test multiple parts of the body when things go wrong with the sensory functions. 9S doesn't sound comfortable with the prospect, and thinks he's being picked on. If you answer no to all his prompts, he sounds sincerely perplexed. To me, he came off sounding like a newbie nurse.

The real creepy thing you can do is lie down beside her before starting the maintenance sequence on Route B. In the extra material, he always thinks back to the time before he met her being soul withering-ly lonely, but still...

Then again, that's up to the player. Like stealing from Emil.

So I just got ending E
and sacrificed my save

This being the only Yoko Taro game I've played, is there a good resource to get the full story and connections between Drakenguard, Nier, and Automata?

Clemps and ValkyrieAurora have done some analysis videos covering a lot of ground. You can also search cutscene compilations on Youtube, if you've got the time.

The real creepy thing you can do is lie down beside her before starting the maintenance sequence on Route B.

You know, aside from the high-level combat challenges, stuff like this is what kept me from deleting my save. Tiny missable interactions I need to go check for myself.

So I just got ending E
and sacrificed my save

Three major things from Drakengard are important here: the Cult of the Watchers and "red eyes", Drakengard ending E, and Accord. Knowing the main characters of Drakengard 1 also helps to understand one weapon story in Automata. The Angelic runes as used in Drakengard are also used in Automata to represent magic, boss names, and the "box" names.

The connections back to Nier... go beyond the story and are basically everywhere. Everything from fishing to riding boars to climbing ladders comes from Nier. The entire emotional impact of hearing Kaine's theme means nothing until you know the context of all the times it played in Nier.

And if you read the Project Gestalt Reports in Automata... that's not even in Nier. That's all backstory that happened before Nier even started. This goes deep.

Clemps and ValkyrieAurora have done some analysis videos covering a lot of ground. You can also search cutscene compilations on Youtube, if you've got the time.

Three major things from Drakengard are important here: the Cult of the Watchers and "red eyes", Drakengard ending E, and Accord. Knowing the main characters of Drakengard 1 also helps to understand one weapon story in Automata. The Angelic runes as used in Drakengard are also used in Automata to represent magic, boss names, and the "box" names.

The connections back to Nier... go beyond the story and are basically everywhere. Everything from fishing to riding boars to climbing ladders comes from Nier. The entire emotional impact of hearing Kaine's theme means nothing until you know the context of all the times it played in Nier.

And if you read the Project Gestalt Reports in Automata... that's not even in Nier. That's all backstory that happened before Nier even started. This goes deep.

So I watched Clemps' series (skipped Drakengard 2 since it's not in the Nier story arch), overall a pretty thorough summary/analysis.

Now after reading a bunch of this thread, I've realized how much I'd missed in Automata, and I kind of regret sacrificing my save even more... Oh well, I guess I can just wait until Clemps makes some videos for Automata. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LotusHD

Banned
So I watched Clemps' series (skipped Drakengard 2 since it's not in the Nier story arch), overall a pretty thorough summary/analysis.

Now after reading a bunch of this thread, I've realized how much I'd missed in Automata, and I kind of regret sacrificing my save even more... Oh well, I guess I can just wait until Clemps makes some videos for Automata. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't. Made my 2nd playthrough actually mean something, rather than me just doing it because I wanted to play through some cool scenes or something like is usually the case when I replay a game. Was really neat looking out for all the little mannerisms and dialogue that I missed or didn't completely understand the first time, as well as do all the sidequests.

But uhh, obviously not everyone feels like replaying a game, especially so soon. I'm just surprised Automata actually got me to do it.
Though the DLC's existence sped up things a bit...

I don't. Made my 2nd playthrough actually mean something, rather than me just doing it because I wanted to play through some cool scenes or something like is usually the case when I replay a game. Was really neat looking out for all the little mannerisms and dialogue that I missed or didn't completely understand the first time, as well as do all the sidequests.

But uhh, obviously not everyone feels like replaying a game, especially so soon. I'm just surprised Automata actually got me to do it.
Though the DLC's existence sped up things a bit...

Yeah seeing a lot of the little details are what makes me want to go back, but time is limited, and there are just too many good games coming out now.

We need an industry crash so I can catch up.

Oh god, I'm just kidding, please don't happen! Too many games is the best problem to have!

Pbae

So after finishing and seeing all the endings (main ones) I felt as though it's implied that the YorHa project was going to be rebooted except that 2B, 9S, and A2 will each retain their previous memories.

With that, I have two questions I hope someone can shed some light on.

-Do they use the same model designations for each cycle? For instance, after Route E and the start of the new YorHa program, will 2B/E still be designated the 2B/E androids? I bring this up because 2B was based off of the A2 concept and the resistance camp members seem to understand that she's an upgraded variant of the original A2.

-This is regarding OG Nier. Why did the replicants need "souls"? Why didn't humanity just create body shells that could be thawed out and taken care of by androids? Did it have something to do with Drakengard magic? Seems pretty stupid to put a personality in a body that will inevitably have said personality purged so that the original soul can take over.

So after finishing and seeing all the endings (main ones) I felt as though it's implied that the YorHa project was going to be rebooted except that 2B, 9S, and A2 will each retain their previous memories.

With that, I have two questions I hope someone can shed some light on.

-Do they use the same model designations for each cycle? For instance, after Route E and the start of the new YorHa program, will 2B/E still be designated the 2B/E androids? I bring this up because 2B was based off of the A2 concept and the resistance camp members seem to understand that she's an upgraded variant of the original A2.

-This is regarding OG Nier. Why did the replicants need "souls"? Why didn't humanity just create body shells that could be thawed out and taken care of by androids? Did it have something to do with Drakengard magic? Seems pretty stupid to put a personality in a body that will inevitably have said personality purged so that the original soul can take over.

The YoRHa project got purged, not rebooted, in ending E. All the data is completely gone except for the protagonists (and whoever else managed to survive).

The replicants were never intended to have their own personalities - "body shells" overseen by the androids was exactly the original plan. I don't think there was a better explanation other than that they just accidentally developed individuality and culture on their own.

Pbae

The YoRHa project got purged, not rebooted, in ending E. All the data is completely gone except for the protagonists (and whoever else managed to survive).

The replicants were never intended to have their own personalities - "body shells" overseen by the androids was exactly the original plan. I don't think there was a better explanation other than that they just accidentally developed individuality and culture on their own.

Are we sure it's a purge?

Seems to counter the last few lines from Pod 042 regarding the possibility of breaking the cycle. Also, the entirety of the project wasn't for the sake of the YorHa units as they are disposable (b/c they're pretty much the same as the machines) but rather for the "real" androids and their sense of purpose and morale.

And for that second answer...man that's disappointing. So they pretty much got possessed by deadbeat souls and thus hijinks ensue.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There's really nothing in the last bit indicating they'll start yorha again.

The cycle more refers to the general cycle of life and death

Are we sure it's a purge?

Seems to counter the last few lines from Pod 042 regarding the possibility of breaking the cycle. Also, the entirety of the project wasn't for the sake of the YorHa units as they are disposable (b/c they're pretty much the same as the machines) but rather for the "real" androids and their sense of purpose and morale.

And for that second answer...man that's disappointing. So they pretty much got possessed by deadbeat souls and thus hijinks ensue.

The intended endgame of YoRHa was to use their combat data to build an even more advanced android model to continue the war.

But according to the official timeline published in Japan in the Automata strategy guide, the war ended shortly after the game ended. So there would be no reason to continue building combat androids of any type.

Also, the timeline notes that an android wearing black was only spotted nearly 500 years after the end of the game, suggesting that YoRHa androids will basically vanish off the face of the planet.

The thing about replicants was that, despite having individuality, they still didn't have souls and they weren't actually a viable lifeform. (Apparently they had no way of reproducing.) That's why they went extinct after Project Gestalt collapsed.

Pbae

The intended endgame of YoRHa was to use their combat data to build an even more advanced android model to continue the war.

But according to the official timeline published in Japan in the Automata strategy guide, the war ended shortly after the game ended. So there would be no reason to continue building combat androids of any type.

Also, the timeline notes that an android wearing black was only spotted nearly 500 years after the end of the game, suggesting that YoRHa androids will basically vanish off the face of the planet.

The thing about replicants was that, despite having individuality, they still didn't have souls and they weren't actually a viable lifeform. (Apparently they had no way of reproducing.) That's why they went extinct after Project Gestalt collapsed.

Thank you for all this. With that timeline, it makes much more sense that YorHa no longer is needed and won't be rebuilt.

I'm wondering though, did the replicants have some sort of foundational basis of the hosts' DNA? I know DNA is often discussed in the Nier lore and if that was the case it makes somewhat more sense to me. It would provide a way for the soul to know which was its intended new body and that individuality would be explained as a mirror of the original soul based off of the DNA or some id/ego nonsense. Because if not for that then why couldn't they just off the bad replicant and make a new fresh one.

Antiwhippy

I thought they did? Or at least someone in this thread told me that there was a constant refresh of the replicants.

duckroll

Why does the Timeline have weird random shit that isn't connected to anything else? Country of Night? Dragon? Kaguya? Goliath-class Machine in Space?

Why does the Timeline have weird random shit that isn't connected to anything else? Country of Night? Dragon? Kaguya? Goliath-class Machine in Space?

The Kingdom of Night or whatever is the part of the Earth that is constantly in darkness, as opposed to the locations in Nier that are constantly in daylight due to the shifting of the planet's axis.

I would assume the Dragon is Angelus from the end of Drakengard 1.

The machine is probably Beepy from Nier, who fucked off into outer space in the short story Fire of Prometheus. Incidentally, that's an interesting bit of symmetry with the Network's Ark.

Antiwhippy

Because Yoko taro.

Country of the night is kinda in the game though. The reason why there's no day-night cycle is because shit went down so hard the earth stopped rotating. :p

duckroll

Hold on lemme try to rephrase that since you all missed the point.

So at some point someone had the idea that the androids repurposed research on an actual dragon corpse to make what is presumably a mecha dragon, and used it to attack an army of machine lifeforms in a nation under perpetual darkness. And there is no actual visual artwork, design, or implementation of this idea in the game.

This cannot continue. This cannot continue. This cannot continue.

Hold on lemme try to rephrase that since you all missed the point.

So at some point someone had the idea that the androids repurposed research on an actual dragon corpse to make what is presumably a mecha dragon, and used it to attack an army of machine lifeforms in a nation under perpetual darkness. And there is no actual visual artwork, design, or implementation of this idea in the game.

This cannot continue. This cannot continue. This cannot continue.

Is this the Red Eye/Wall of Jericho/Crusades of Automata? Crazy potential story that will never be touched outside of brief mentions in supplemental material?

The explosion that sent a goliath structure into space is a reference to the "volcanic eruption" from one of the storybook sections in route B, which in turn was a reference to the short story "The Fire of Prometheus", which in turn was a reference to one of the boss fights from the first Nier.

So it's a connection between the two games... which can only be pieced together by two degrees of separation.

Kaguya could be the setting of this weapon story:

tA8G8NK.jpg

Neither Nier game has ever set itself on the hemisphere where it's always nighttime, but, well, it doesn't sound like a fun place anyway. You could always go into the factory in route C and replicate the experience.

duckroll

Time for Square Enix to give Grounding a call. Time for Square Enix to give Grounding a call. Time for Square Enix to give Grounding a call.

Also, a mere three years before the events of this game, there was a massive sea battle against freakish fusions of male androids and machines on a sunken city that spontaneously rose out of the Pacific Ocean.

Antiwhippy

They are hiring developers to make a sequel to a super famous franchise. Clearly drakengard is that super famous franchise.

Golnei

Also, a mere three years before the events of this game, there was a massive sea battle against freakish fusions of male androids and machines on a sunken city that spontaneously rose out of the Pacific Ocean.

This could be a good angle to use for an otome game spinoff. They know their fan demographics, so something targeting that market using the Nier brand will be inevitable eventually.

http://www.g-rounding.com/en/

Jesus christ I'd forgotten about that awful launch title. I think the joke here is that every Panzer Dragoon clone is destined to be bad?

"Hot Keys" is a new kind of musical application.

The piano keys are represented as silhouettes of girls.
Of course the notes are all voiced by real girls!
You can have fun just playing as it is, or you can play your own music from your iPad and play the voices like a sampling machine.

There are 4 different selectable voice types!
You can change or mute the BPM voice and tune it to your liking.
Give the girls a touch and enjoy their cute motions and voices.
Taro, hand over the reigns.

addik

They are hiring developers to make a sequel to a super famous franchise. Clearly drakengard is that super famous franchise.

At last, we can finally have a Drakengard "5" which is about finding out what happened in Darkengard 4.

Wasn't that Taro's original pitch for Drakengard "3" lol

Golnei

Wasn't that Taro's original pitch for Drakengard "3" lol

One of many. Hopefully, now that Automata received some degree of moderate, relative, qualified partial success; he'll be able to get more esoteric concepts approved more easily.

So I got endings D, C, and E yesterday in that order.

I'm guessing this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but I haven't found too much discussion about it in the pages I checked.

Since yesterday, I've been wondering about which sequence is most likely to lead to Ending E:

Ending C -> Ending E

Ending D -> 9S boarding the ark -> Ending E

Ending D -> 9S staying on earth -> Ending E

I think Ending C works better as a standalone ending because to reach Ending E, 9S would need to die offscreen after being saved. I could see the idea of 9S dying soon anyway to make A2's sacrifice feel pointless, but I haven't seen any implications about 9S dying soon after aside from "All Black Box units are now offline." at the start of Ending E.

I think Ending D leading to Ending E makes a bit more sense because all three of the main characters are clearly gone. However, 9S boarding the ark makes his revival in Ending E a bit weird too. That's why I'm inclined to think refusing to board the ark in Ending D is the most direct lead-in to Ending E, as staying on earth shows an additional death scene for 9S that's absent if he boards the ark. As a result, I this scenario would make the most sense out of the three possibilities for Pod 042 to then say "I have come to the conclusion that I cannot accept this resolution."

I could have missed out on some key details, though, and I could still see ways Ending C and boarding the ark could lead to Ending E. But from my time with the story, I think Ending D and refusing to board the ark make the most sense as the path leading to Ending E.

So I got endings D, C, and E yesterday in that order.

I'm guessing this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but I haven't found too much discussion about it in the pages I checked.

Since yesterday, I've been wondering about which sequence is most likely to lead to Ending E:

Ending C -> Ending E

Ending D -> 9S boarding the ark -> Ending E

Ending D -> 9S staying on earth -> Ending E

I think Ending C works better as a standalone ending because to reach Ending E, 9S would need to die offscreen after being saved. I could see the idea of 9S dying soon anyway to make A2's sacrifice feel pointless, but I haven't seen any implications about 9S dying soon after aside from "All Black Box units are now offline."

I think Ending D leading to Ending E makes a bit more sense because all three of the main characters are clearly gone. However, 9S boarding the ark makes his revival in Ending E a bit weird too. That's why I'm inclined to think refusing to board the ark in Ending D is the most direct lead-in to Ending E, as staying on earth shows an additional death scene for 9S that's absent if he boards the ark. As a result, I this scenario would make the most sense out of the three possibilities for Pod 042 to then say "I have come to the conclusion that I cannot accept this resolution."

I could have missed out on some key details, though, and I could still see ways Ending C and boarding the ark could lead to Ending E. But from my time with the story, I think Ending D and refusing to board the ark make the most sense as the path leading to Ending E.

Well, ending C always plays out if you jump to ending E from Chapter Select. They could have just jumped you to the start of the ending E credits, so that's clearly telling us something.

There's an epilogue set after ending E (transcribed from its performance during a concert this month). The details seem intentionally vague and leave open the possibility that both endings C and D happened in part?

Well, ending C always plays out if you jump to ending E from Chapter Select. They could have just jumped you to the start of the ending E credits, so that's clearly telling us something.
Is that still the case if you get Ending C before Ending D, with Ending E unlocking as you complete Ending D? I just tried it, but since I got Ending D before Ending C, I'm not sure if loading up Ending E begins with C's final cutscene because it's canon or because I unlocked Ending E during Ending C.

I just asked a friend who unlocked Ending E right after finishing Ending D, and he said seems to remember that selecting Ending E leads to it playing the last ending you got. He played it a while ago, though.
There's an epilogue set after ending E (transcribed from its performance during a concert this month). The details seem intentionally vague and leave open the possibility that both endings C and D happened in part?
Thanks for the link. There do seem to be elements from both Endings C and D in that story, so I wonder if what "canonically" happened was some hybrid of Endings C and D instead of one or the other.

Dice//

Banned
Curious. I wonder if a NieR Automata sequel would then use Adam/Eve-like machine lifeforms????

I want this because it's real amusing how far Yoko Taro can "stretch out" the apocalypse.

Antiwhippy

I mean the last part of the timeline mentions a machine civil war where there are noble machines emerging out of machine society. :p

Finally finished it up today. Fell in love with the demo and ordered the Black Box Edition.

Man, what a great game! Absolutely loved it and had a ton of fun exploring and hunting down everything.

Only thing that kinda irked me was "the Tower" hacking session. And its not so much the mechanics of the hacking, but rather me being rubbish at those top down twin stick shooter type games. Got a lil frustrated in there and took me several tries to get through it.

All in all, fantastic fun i had. My fav weapon combo for 2B and A2 was 'Type 40 lance' and 'Iron Will'. And i loved using 'Spear of the Usurper' for 9S with its turncoat ability to turn machines to your side in a fight.

I hope we see more of this stuff down road.

jonjonaug

I dunno but none of the other games sold 1 million worldwide.

Nier: Automata is...

A sequel to a stage play (Yorha)
Which is a sequel to a joke drama CD where Emil fights aliens
Which came about due to what at the time everyone assumed was a joke line in the Nier design book about aliens invading the Earth after an ending detailed in the book that wasn't actually in the game.
And Nier itself is the sequel to a joke ending in Drakengard 1.

Top Bottom