• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJMAX RESPECT announced for PS4

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh fuck, so this is old-school DJMax, then? I am IN. I hope this is basically a do-over of DJ Max Trilogy with more stuff (and no stupid USB key DRM.)

This is absolutely something to get me excited about PS4. And as a DJ Max fan, it'll be fucking great to have it on something other than a portable.

Linkr2

Neo Member
Any news about the game?

I'm really excited about this, despite this is only a nostalgia-recopilatory, I played a lot back in the day, so for me is really a must have.

I have all the games in the series on my shelf, so I can not miss this one!

I hope neowiz will make a great game even without the original artists/creators on the company...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What kind of music is in this game?
Weird jpop + eurodance?
Or more like dj hero?

Falk

that puzzling face
What kind of music is in this game?
Weird jpop + eurodance?
Or more like dj hero?

It's largely from the Korean game music community, with some k-pop artists and Japanese (bemani, etc) thrown in.

So, the former.

Sakujou

Banned
had fun with the first few pspgames, dj black square(?) was too hard for me.
dj max technika tune was cool in tue arcades, but virtually non-playable on the vita(how to use the back-touch and do the stuff on the front?

would love to see new songs, new videos and another awesome GUI. they always fucking nail the style. i could watch tue animations all day... everythings so shiny and so fluid. fuck yes!

Falk

that puzzling face
and the gameplay is really convoluted compared to DJMP.

I dunno, I guess I'm getting really, really fatigued with vanilla lanes. (Thanks IIDX)

XONIC is interesting in the way stuff like SDVX and Chuunithm is interesting, and makes for many more interesting patterns/interactions.

dapoktan

i wonder how much kpop theyll put in this.. they had a couple songs from the previous releases and the clazziquai game that had more in it..

esp w/ the popularity of edm in kpop these days

cj_iwakura

I dunno, I guess I'm getting really, really fatigued with vanilla lanes. (Thanks IIDX)

XONIC is interesting in the way stuff like SDVX and Chuunithm is interesting, and makes for many more interesting patterns/interactions.

I guess, but it just was more frustrating than fun to me. I'm not a fan of SDVX either, but Museca is great.

Falk

that puzzling face
What about the Technika songs?

Most of them are from the older games anyway.

I'm a little fuzzy but I believe:

Technika 1 was pretty much from Black Square and Clazziquai. Then the PSP series went dormant.

Portable 3 (which is past the 'classic' era I guess, if you want to go by pure mechanics) brought some in from Technika

Technika Tune brought some in from T2 and T3.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://gematsu.com/2016/11/djmax-respect-launches-worldwide-july-2017

DJMAX Respect will launch for PlayStation 4 worldwide in July 2017, publisher Neowiz Games announced at G-Star 2017. In South Korea, it will cost 49,900 KRW. It was previously planned for release in January 2017.

The rhythm game will include over 140 songs, including more than 40 new songs, from across DJMAX Portable and DJMAX Portable 2, with songs from other DJMAX titles set to be released as downloadable content. It will feature the classic Arcade Mode, a 2-Player Mode, Mission Mode, Online Mode, Gallery and Movie Mode, and more.

More footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8xiYYdCpU4

Falk

that puzzling face
I just went on a nostalgia trip with stuff from Portable 2 through to Technika 2 incl. Black Square/Clazziquai.

I retract my statement about this being a cheap cash-in. I need this game now.

Dineren

Banned
I didn't think I'd be buying another DJMAX game, but this one seems like a no-brainer.

Is Trilogy still functioning? I remember it had that usb key drm, but I can't remember if it had some kind of online activation required during the install. This is really making me want to play one, but I don't want to pull my PSP out of storage.

Fancolors

I didn't think I'd be buying another DJMAX game, but this one seems like a no-brainer.

Is Trilogy still functioning? I remember it had that usb key drm, but I can't remember if it had some kind of online activation required during the install. This is really making me want to play one, but I don't want to pull my PSP out of storage.

You can still play Trilogy as long as you have that dumb usb key, but the servers are no more, so no online.

There are also some patches that you will have to find through some mirrors, it's not too hard to find those tho.

yyr

Ironic that I just picked up Portable 3 again yesterday. It runs perfectly on Vita and goes on sale from time to time. It's flawed (too much grind, small songlist) but still a good game for sure.

Falk

that puzzling face
Trilogy had the opportunity to be great, but I think the main barrier that was causing piracy wasn't really pricing, it was accessibility.

A dongle rather than going on a popular platform like Steam kinda sealed its long-term fate, completely ignoring the fact that FE left the company.

Sure, Steam in Korea probably wasn't all that hot, especially not back then, but when I think of a DJMAX reboot, I really do feel like its qwerty keyboard roots would have been the best bet, as it had the longest legs in terms of skill curve, etc, and niche titles like this one really, REALLY do better with digital distro, which lends itself to a PC fit.

But hey, I've done this ramble more than a few times over the years.

edit: Clarity w.r.t topic at hand
I think I'm coming around to this being basically that framework of a long-running base to which more content is added. The new stuff they've shown off actually isn't... half bad? And having that framework for more stuff down the line is a first step, which is better than no step.

Steiner

Banned
G-guys? What is this? This is my first time hearing about this franchise. I'm a huge rhythm game fan and my interest is piqued. Do I need to go download Technika Tune on my Vita right now? What am I about to get into?

cj_iwakura

G-guys? What is this? This is my first time hearing about this franchise. I'm a huge rhythm game fan and my interest is piqued. Do I need to go download Technika Tune on my Vita right now? What am I about to get into?

Technika Tune is a pale imitation of DJ MAX. It's touch screen, and not nearly as fun as 'classic' DJMP. Go play Portable 2 or 3.

Top Bottom