• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo Begins Distributing Software Kit for NX (Console + Handheld units)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So excited for NX. But my biggest hope of all is a better account system with a superior virtual console. I'm not worried about the specs, I don't really give a shit about that, I just want good games and a proper VC service.

No. I believe Iwata specifically compared how it works to how iPad and iPhones were. Same OS, similar architecture, different specs.

But this article states:
People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use.

ooooohhh weeeell. IT'S HAPPENING
giphy.gif

Am I right to say that most games will be "You only pay once" , and that only a small portion of the games will be exclusive to either the NX handheld / NX home console?
Not really, when they talked about it they wanted it to be easy to port a game from console to handheld because they used a similar architecture, but it wouldn't just automatically work or anything, developers would still have to do work to get a console game working on the handheld device. Don't expect almost all games to be ported from console to handheld.

Manoko

They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.

That's Nintendo recognizing the importance and strength of multi-platforms games.
I'm so happy they finally understood that they need to be competitive in terms of raw power as well, not just innovation.

Can't wait to hear more about it.

Nightbird

Well my memory is a little hazy but I read rumours that it was going to be pretty powerful and a big step up from 360/PS3. I got excited and so did many others, then we ended up with is the Wii U.

I hope they get some more expertise in the online network area too

Same here. It was a huge letdown. Here I hope it will not happen again

Fuchs

http://www.christianpost.com/news/n...pack-expected-to-come-with-new-titles-147821/

Another rumor that seems to excite fans is that the upcoming console will release new titles, aside from its standard "Mario" games. Some outlets suggest that for it to be a hit among gamers, it should include "Legend of Zelda," "Star Wars Rogue Squadron," "Pokémon," "Mass Effect: Andromeda," and "Pikimin."

Gotta love that Pikimin game!

WAIT! There's a new Rogue Squadron coming out?

GnawtyDog

Banned
Replacing both? They're going to sell the mobile unit separate right? Cause price point for handhelds is key. Why forego their hold on the handheld market to push a console?

Interesting to say the least.

Jigorath

Banned
People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.
So the NX is going to be bundled with both a console and a mobile unit with industry leading hardware for both devices? Sounds very expensive. I'm surprised that's the direction they would go in. If it's true that is.

That flies in the face of what Nintendo has actually previously said about NX though. I think that's just a misinterpretation of things by WSJ

It's hard to tell what it will be this far out. Two things are for certain:

1. If they stop making separate console/handhelds and package them together:
    a. There is potentially a loss in revenue​
    b. The cost of entry would increase for access to their software, and could become a barrier to some consumers​
  2. Dedicated handheld business has significantly waned, and that market has only shown signs of being even smaller today than it was in 2011. Both in their home market and overseas.

So the NX is going to be bundled with both a console and a mobile unit with industry leading hardware for both devices? Sounds very expensive. I'm surprised that's the direction they would go in. If it's true that is.

We know nothing about this alleged "mobile unit." It doesn't necessarily need to be a controller or portable game device.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That's the intent, yeah. There will still be exclusives, and games don't have to be on both.

That will be great. I also hope they will use the handheld for various multiplayer local co-op / cross play usage.

Here's also hoping they will improve the eshop. Their 3DS eshop layout is really pathetic.

geordiemp

Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use.
That reads like a powerful vita with a docking station for living room, am I reading it wrong ?

tbd

If you look at how great Nintendo can make their games look on the Wii U imagine how they will look on a console more powerful than the PS4 and XB1.

They're the absolute graphics gods. I'd love to see this or EAD just making a PC game for whatever reason.

LewieP

What if it is some kind of all in one hybrid home console, portable console, mobile phone, tablet, laptop, toaster, foot spa, metal detector and air traffic control station?

JordanKZ

Nintendo barely have the internal resources to make Wii U games, what chance do they have of making titles with XB1/PS4 levels of fidelity?

JoeM86

It could just mean it could be used as a controller like the gba and 3ds for smash.

Could be, yeah.

However it's very unlikely to be a hybrid. I think it's more logical to go by what Nintendo has said, not WSJ may have misinterpreted.
Nintendo barely have the internal resources to make Wii U games, what chance do they have of making titles with XB1/PS4 levels of fidelity?

Are you being serious right now?

Piercator

Banned

This is not going to stop critisism, I believe it's a matter of time: while Nintendo continues launching their console one or two years before MS and Sony, developers will left Nintendo behind again. You can launch a console with leading specs, but two years later they will be standard. Hence, developers will prefer a bigger marked conditioned by the specs shared by MS and Sony that will be ahead Nintendo specs, like every damn time this happened in the past...

tbd

They could probably still exist for another 10 years with what they made with Mario Kart Wii alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom