• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Llyranor

0083 and 08th MS just look beautiful on Blu-Ray. I've been thinking of getting CCA for the amazing animations, but the more I think about it, the more pissed off I am at the film. Having 4 "love triangles" revolving around that POS Quess just epitomizes the worst of Gundam's bad characters.

Anyone know Rightstuff's return policy? I bought Zeta Gundam, CCA and F91 last week when they were on Sale. But I realized too late that Zeta is dvd, not blu ray.

Luigi87

Since I haven't watched it since its original run on North American television I decided to check out Wing again just because that was my entry drug into Gundam.
... two episodes in and I'm hitting my head against the wall for how dumb Relena is.

yami4ct

Since I haven't watched it since its original run on North American television I decided to check out Wing again just because that was my entry drug into Gundam.
... two episodes in and I'm hitting my head against the wall for how dumb Relena is.

If you just want to experience the story again, might I recommend reading Glory of the Losers. It has great art, minimizes the dumb shit with Relena and just generally improves the pacing. I really really dislike the Wing TV show, but I actually like the manga.

Luigi87

If you just want to experience the story again, might I recommend reading Glory of the Losers. It has great art, minimizes the dumb shit with Relena and just generally improves the pacing. I really really dislike the Wing TV show, but I actually like the manga.

Ooh, I'll definitely look into that then!

Also having a crisis of interest right now... learning of RightStuf's sale, which even with my terrible Canadian dollar, works out for me, I kind of want to get 0079, 08th MS Team, Zeta, and ZZ all on Blu-Ray...
Problem is for 0079 specifically I don't know if I want to grab the TV series (which I have watched before) or just go with the movie trilogy...

yami4ct

Ooh, I'll definitely look into that then!

Also having a crisis of interest right now... learning of RightStuf's sale, which even with my terrible Canadian dollar, works out for me, I kind of want to get 0079, 08th MS Team, Zeta, and ZZ all on Blu-Ray...
Problem is for 0079 specifically I don't know if I want to grab the TV series (which I have watched before) or just go with the movie trilogy...

Glory has even been licensed now by Vertical and they just put out the first volume this month, so if you want physical editions you can look there. Seems like they're putting them out every other month so they're going at a good clip.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1945054344/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(I realize you're canadian but hopefully that'll help you find it if you're looking)

As for 0079, I would just grab the movie trilogy if you have to experience that on video. Otherwise, 0079 is the other gundam where the manga is substantially improved. Not to sound like a broken record (you literally found the only two like this), but The Origin manga tells the 0079 story and is actually my favorite piece of gundam media overall. I'm hoping the OVA series eventually adapts the 0079 part once they're done with the battle of loum.

Glory has even been licensed now by Vertical and they just put out the first volume this month, so if you want physical editions you can look there. Seems like they're putting them out every other month so they're going at a good clip.

(I realize you're canadian but hopefully that'll help you find it if you're looking)

Fuck I was at a bookstore getting Nisemonogatari yesterday, I completely forgot GoL was coming out.

Luigi87

As for 0079, I would just grab the movie trilogy if you have to experience that on video. Otherwise, 0079 is the other gundam where the manga is substantially improved. Not to sound like a broken record (you literally found the only two like this), but The Origin manga tells the 0079 story and is actually my favorite piece of gundam media overall. I'm hoping the OVA series eventually adapts the 0079 part once they're done with the battle of loum.

I actually had no idea that The Origin covered the 0079 story in the manga. Specifically I was under the notion it was more about Char's past.

yami4ct

Fuck I was at a bookstore getting Nisemonogatari yesterday, I completely forgot GoL was coming out.

Even though I've read the series up to current, I probably should grab that too. The price is right and it'd be nice to support the one really solid piece of media to come out of Wing and maybe get more gundam manga long term. Also wouldn't mind brushing back up on the early stuff.

I actually had no idea that The Origin covered the 0079 story in the manga. Specifically I was under the notion it was more about Char's past.

The parts from the OVA are actually a flashback arc taken from 2-3 volumes in the middle of the story. The Origin itself as a whole is a complete remake of 0079 written by the man who did the character designs for the original show. Its main focus is sort of bringing in Char and Sayla as co-protagonists to Amuro and really brushing up the Zeon side as a whole as well as adding backstory. The overall pacing is much tighter than the original as well, throwing out what the show didn't need and adding stuff where it was lacking. It's an incredible rewrite and is of my favorite manga ever, gundam or not. It's absolutely the best way to experience the One Year War. The art is jaw dropping as well. Totally worth the investment to get all 12 nice hardcover volumes IMO.

Luigi87

Even though I've read the series up to current, I probably should grab that too. The price is right and it'd be nice to support the one really solid piece of media to come out of Wing and maybe get more gundam manga long term. Also wouldn't mind brushing back up on the early stuff.

The parts from the OVA are actually a flashback arc taken from 2-3 volumes in the middle of the story. The Origin itself as a whole is a complete remake of 0079 written by the man who did the character designs for the original show. Its main focus is sort of bringing in Char and Sayla as co-protagonists to Amuro and really brushing up the Zeon side as a whole as well as adding backstory. The overall pacing is much tighter than the original as well, throwing out what the show didn't need and adding stuff where it was lacking. It's an incredible rewrite and is of my favorite manga ever, gundam or not. It's absolutely the best way to experience the One Year War. The art is jaw dropping as well. Totally worth the investment to get all 12 nice hardcover volumes IMO.

Just looked at a few sample pages... damn, the art is so good.
And now I'm debating... x_x Basically I could go with the 12 vol. of The Origin, but then I'd have to omit all the Blu-Rays I was gonna grab (as there's no way I could afford both, lol).
I'm probably going to have to sleep on this @_@

duckroll

More Build Fighters in August! Obari's mecha action shorts start on Aug 4, while the full GM's Counterattack OVA special hits on Aug 25. A month of Build Fighting!

Are you familiar with the Evangelion manga by Sadamoto? The Origin is the Gundam version of that by Yas. Both are complete page one redos of the storyline by the character designer, meant to be a definitive version from their artistic perspective. The Origin reimagines the One Year War in much more detail, with a more cohesive setting, more consistent character work, and towards the middle of the manga it pauses to flash back to the origins of the OYW and how the roots of it made the major players who they would be in the war itself. The manga is amazing. The English releases in hardcover are beautiful. The pricing is also ~amazing~. :)

Luigi87

Are you familiar with the Evangelion manga by Sadamoto? The Origin is the Gundam version of that by Yas. Both are complete page one redos of the storyline by the character designer, meant to be a definitive version from their artistic perspective. The Origin reimagines the One Year War in much more detail, with a more cohesive setting, more consistent character work, and towards the middle of the manga it pauses to flash back to the origins of the OYW and how the roots of it made the major players who they would be in the war itself. The manga is amazing. The English releases in hardcover are beautiful. The pricing is also ~amazing~. :)
I am unfortunately not familiar with that manga. I'm admittedly not that big into Evangelion. I do however like what I am hearing from yami4ct and yourself about this... I've always really enjoyed the One Year War, and to have more detail and development is tempting...

The manga is amazing. The English releases in hardcover are beautiful. The pricing is also ~amazing~. :)

Not helping!!

yami4ct

Also if you're a technical history nerd like me, The Origin changes around the development of certain suits and prototypes to make way more sense. It's such a small thing but something I really appreciate because I'm a crazy person.

duckroll

Also if you're a technical history nerd like me, The Origin changes around the development of certain suits and prototypes to make way more sense. It's such a small thing but something I really appreciate because I'm a crazy person.

I think that's something that really bothered Yas about the anime production. Like they had this really solid analogy to real war, but for the episode to episode anime production a lot of it was "whatever goes".Origin is very much his "final word" on how things SHOULD be in the universe. Lol.

Gundam the Origin is to the original OYW story, what all the Ver Ka kit redesigns are to the original animation designs of mechs. :)

Llyranor

I've been tempted by the Origin manga as well but 200+$ for the set gives me pause. I'm not even really a manga reader so not sure how I'll take to it. Currently started reading Nausicaa (freaking beautiful hardcover set for only 50$!) so I'll see if I like it.

Also, it's annoying that the manga is being released in full color on comic-walker while the physical books will be mostly b&w :(

The Origin truly is a msaterpiece. I can't really say the same for the OVA. I like it, but something about it is off putting to me and I can't quite place it.

There are certainly changes done to the story I didn't like, but I agree. It's definitive. If only Yas had done Z instead of what we are getting

I got december sky and chars counterattack today in the mail. The bluray cases are black. Is that standard? All the other right stuf blus i have, have the standard case.

I think the US is getting an open beta for Gundam Versus soon? Bamco US posted this on their Facebook.

⚠ATTN NEWTYPES⚠: Purchase #GundamVersus and receive 2 DLC suits + HOT SCRAMBLE during this limited promotion. Open Beta access will be available soon, SUBSCRIBE now for the latest updates. - http://bit.ly/2vzdPd4

Preorder Gundam Versus: http://bit.ly/2txJAVQ

I got december sky and chars counterattack today in the mail. The bluray cases are black. Is that standard? All the other right stuf blus i have, have the standard case.

Not standard, just an aesthetic choice. Though the only blu-rays I own with black cases are the first two volumes of RWBY.

RedSwirl

Finished up 0083 on Blu-Ray and just started up 08th MS.

I also noticed Sunrise is putting ZZ on YouTube subbed for free. I heard ZZ wasn't good, but how essential is it to the UC plot arc? I originally got into all this as a run-up to UC 0096. Can I just track down a synopsis of ZZ somewhere or skip it entirely?

RangerBAD

Finished up 0083 on Blu-Ray and just started up 08th MS.

I also noticed Sunrise is putting ZZ on YouTube subbed for free. I heard ZZ wasn't good, but how essential is it to the UC plot arc? I originally got into all this as a run-up to UC 0096. Can I just track down a synopsis of ZZ somewhere or skip it entirely?

I love ZZ, but nothing but 0079 and Char's Counterattack are necessary for Unicorn. Of course you should watch everything.

tuffy

The origin of a major character in Unicorn comes directly from late plot development in ZZ, but I don't think it's essential viewing to understand what's going on.

Olengie

Oh, and how is the Unicorn series compared to the OVA? Is one version better than the other?

The tv series has added scenes. Im under the impressiom theyre pretty much the same besides the extra stuff. Just like Thunderbol and its Movie Version.

Yeah I don't think the series added anything extra, and the touched up stuff isn't a big deal. Choosing between the OVAs and the series really comes down to time constraints. If you want to binge Unicorn go with the OVAs, if you just plan on watching an episode or two at a time over a few weeks watch the series.

yami4ct

Bought a used Badger Renegade Krome off of amazon and the condition wasn't near what was described. It was missing the fine adjustment knob on the back, missing one of the needles and the trigger for the air valve was stuck. On the positive end, Amazon ended up giving me $20 for the trouble and the seller refunded me the whole price and told me to keep it. So, in the end, I'll be ending up sending it to badger, maybe putting $40 into repairs and a refurbishment and ending up with a $110 airbrush for a net of $10-20. Not bad at all.

Once that happened, instantly put those savings and amazon credit into a new Patriot 105 for primes, top coats and base coat because I have a problem. Will have everything I need to cover the gamete in airbrushes now though I swear.

Oh, and how is the Unicorn series compared to the OVA? Is one version better than the other?
TV version has better hands.
maxresdefault.jpg

Beth Cyra

anyone getting this?

cjsp5QT.jpg
Okay I may not care for the redesign of Zero but having the Drei Zweg attach to the wings almost gives it a funnel like look so I may have to break down and buy this damn thing.

Shocked they announced it before the Hi Rez is and even more so it's under the Metal Comp line and not Metal build Line.

Interesting to note if you look close that is not the Glory/Hi Rez sheild, it's clearly based on Wing EW's shield.

Beth Cyra

Good catch. I know in the GoL artwork it was a recolored Proto Zero shield, guess they decided the Wing EW shield (with the two fins added on the end) was better.
Indeed and they choose that for the Hi Rez model so I figured it would be the new default Wing Zero design.

That said outside of the Drei Zwerg this maybe a lot closer to Movie Zero as that chest and head are really small, maybe to small to house the new frame gimmicks.

Granted they could be in there but this Zero seems slimmer then both RG and Hi Rez when looking at overall proportions, though that could be do to the Strike Freedom esk vibe it has with the Drei's equipped to the wings.

Blader

The Origin truly is a msaterpiece. I can't really say the same for the OVA. I like it, but something about it is off putting to me and I can't quite place it.

The direction is terrible. The overexaggeration of every character movement and raised voice is like the worst anime cliches cranked up to 11.

duckroll

The direction is terrible. The overexaggeration of every character movement and raised voice is like the worst anime cliches cranked up to 11.

I disagree with this vehemently. I can see people not liking the choice, as it's a matter of preference, but it is definitely not "terrible". The melodrama is the point of the way Origin is directed. It feels like a larger than life opera of sorts, and is a really good fit given the almost mythological nature of Char in the OYW. There's a decent argument for how a more restrained depiction would make the story feel more serious or grounded, but I don't think that's the intent at all here. It's not an anime cliche, it's more like a lavish stage production.

yami4ct

0079 is closer to a giant Space Opera in the style of Space Battleship Yamato than a grounded, self serious war tale. It's part of why I think the Newtype fantasy sections work, at least in 0079. Other series have a bit more trouble balancing that.

While I think the melodrama wouldn't work for something like 08th MS Team, but for a story as grand as The Origin it fits.

Going to Japan next week. What should I check out, Gundam related. Sucks the Odaiba gundam is gone.

Depends where your going. I have not explored Akihabara during the day but I expect its similar to Osaka's nerd street with less awesome people and more white folk haha. But yeah the Odaiba Gundam is gone, you can however see the in progress Unicorn if you go. They have some armor panels around but its still mostly two pilliars where the legs will be and some other parts.

Any anime or model specific shop should have a pretty sizable Gundam sections, as well as general toy stores. If your looking to buy some kits that is. Can also find P-Bandai kits in the used shops but they tend to be expensive and seems like there are WAY more of some than others.

Other than that just check out whatever. I recommend not doing the generic touristy stuff the whole time. Let me know where your headed and maybe I can give some tips for some non-tokyo stuff.

Top Bottom