• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sega Europe about to close, no more Sega AAA, focusing on digital only

Virtua Fighter on iOS
1286934812836.gif

:-(

jman2050

Sammy buying out Sega was always the beginning of the end. This is just the continuing extension of Sega's inevitable demise.

Even if this only refers to Sega Europe by itself, the signs are troubling all around.

Teknoman

How the mighty have fallen. Sega has a revenue of $4.9 billion in 2011. Rovio did make $50 million. Gameloft makes $165 million. I guess Sega makes not more than Rovio on mobile. So, good luck with that shrinking strategy...

Their games:

Don't care about Sonic.

Valkyria Chronicles could actually get a home on iPad/tablets.

Yakuza though can't. Hope they bring Yakuza 5 to the west. Possibly some other publisher will pick it up.

As long as they manage to get the same graphic quality as the first game. Still salty about PSP getting the next two games, and never seeing that beautiful graphics engine again.

I don't think that, but Sega published all of their games up until Revengeance. If Sega goes down, I would think that they would lose a majority of their funding, unless of course Revengeance is a hit and does great things for them.

Mhmm, basically what I'm getting at.

Fair enough. I think Platinum will be fine though, they're critically acclaimed enough to attract other publishers and if anything, maybe elsewhere they'll actually get some marketing support.

What you can be worried about however, is the future of the Bayonetta IP, as Sega still own it.

RIP Sega..........AAA games :( the end

Nintendo should buy Sega or at least buy the rights and properties of their franchises :O

i'd lol though if Shenmue and skies of arcadia made it to tablet/phone only instead of xbla/psn :(

Teknoman

Yeah. Thread title should probably be changed to say "no more Sega Europe-developed AAA games" or something since that's what the article in French seemed to have been implying.

Like you said, they'd likely continue to develop AAA stuff in Japan like Yakuza, Sonic, etc.

What..."AAA" games has the western side of Sega ever developed anyway? Aside from established franchises I mean.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Koch Media has some distribution deals for Square Enix's games in Europe, including stuff like Final Fantasy IIRC.

It's true for (very) select markets...makes me think it might be more legal/regulatory/tax than anything else.

In any case, I don't thinkkkk sooo

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I would think so too, but with Kazerei's translation, this doesn't seem to imply that anymore really.
The original French article seemed to have been using the previous sentence as a base, then went into describing the last game by Creative Assembly, and then said that Sega will not be at Gamescom, so I assumed they were just talking about Sega Europe only. Or at least, the tone of article seemed to have been French/European-centric.

Ah well.

ShadiWulf said:
Exactly. iizuka-san would murder them if he was no longer allowed to make AAA Sonic games.
Ahahahaha, oh Shadi... exactly.

What..."AAA" games has the western side of Sega ever developed anyway? Aside from established franchises I mean.
Does Football Manager/Total War count?

jman2050

You all really think that even if it's just Sega Europe getting the boot that this isn't just a sign of things to come?

I hate seeing Sega die twice, but they haven't been the same since they stopped producing consoles.

I wouldn't say that. Their fighting games have gotten better, Yakuza is better than Shenmue, they acquired some good devs to back (Platinum Games), and Sonic is finally sprinting out of that rough six year plus patch he was in.

They've had some dumb moments, but they've had a lot of good ones.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, wait, wait.

I thought I read the title wrong, but Sega (as a whole) is actually going to stop creating AAA games completely? Not just Sega of Europe?

Is this right?

Something to think about for those not following PSO2:

This rumor of Sega going strictly digital has been floating around in the Phantasy Star community for a few months now.

Their strategy with PSO2 kind of reflects that;

-Free to download, free to play with cash shop
-Free to download PSN version for Vita
-iOS/Droid app with a single player version and way to chat with your PSO2 friendslist and manage your Auction House.

Basically, there have been rumors for quite awhile now that Sega is completely scrapping all game distribution and AAA development in the west, save for strictly digital sales.

There have also been rumors of Sega becoming more chummy with Valve. So for example... if something like Shenmue 3 was ever developed in Japan, it would most likely be localized and distributed strictly through Steam and PSN stateside.

what will happen to FM and Total War series then? (the only 2 western sega published games i care)
so now SEGA will focus even more on their japanese developed games?
and will probably have higher chance getting more of their japan only games localized?

slit

Getting out of the hardware business seemed to work wonders.

I remember when Sega first announced their hardware exit. People were saying that Sega would be the number one third party in the world and that EA would rue the day they decided to snub the Dreamcast.

I guess that hasn't worked out so well.

bangai-o

Banned
thisis all your guys fault for buying stupid playstation 2because of dumb hype and rubber ducky bull shit The Dreamcast had everything gaf saysthey want original titles and non sequals and this is how you return the favor. have fun with your go of war and the next uncharted that with still crud shooting and have fun with psn going down again over and over.

Kazerei

Banned
From how this is worded, we'll see one more title from Creative Assembly and then it's lights out for them?

Yes, I think the one thing the article makes clear is Creative Assembly's very last game will be presented at E3.

Just wondering though, what studios does Sega have in Europe? Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive? Is that it?

jman2050

I remember when Sega first announced their hardware exit. People were saying that Sega would be the number one third party in the world and that EA would rue the day they decided to snub the Dreamcast.

Sounds familiar...

To be fair, Sega did themselves no favors with the way they ran their hardware business after the Genesis.

If the rest of Sega follows suit, Grounding Inc. needs to pick the Panzer Dragoon IP ASAP. Not that I'm hoping for this outcome, of course. I'm just saying.

Lijik

They've treated the Lords of Shadow team very well. I doubt they're why the Silent Hill and Blades of Time games are so mediocre. That's more needing to look at their own teams and rethink it.

For Silent Hill HD Collection, they gave the team doing the porting beta versions of the games. This forced the port team to deal with bugs that had already been fixed on top of porting the games and new bugs they had encountered

For Blades of Time, there was a lot of fuckuppery concerning the game's release and availability. The games producer couldnt even find it in stores day of release. Konami of America didnt even acknowledge that game existed until three days after its release date
In fact, Konami seems content only pushing the big names like Castlevania, PES, Silent Hill, and Kojima's projects. They have plenty of other games coming out but they never market or mention them.

The idea that they'd push Platinum's games better than Sega did is laughable.

thisis all your guys fault for buying stupid playstation 2because of dumb hype and rubber ducky bull shit The Dreamcast had everything gaf saysthey want original titles and non sequals and this is how you return the favor. have fun with your go of war and the next uncharted that with still crud shooting and have fun with psn going down again over and over.

joke post?

If true then GOD DAMN

Top Bottom