• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Red Faction: Guerilla Thread of Rhinopackin' through Space

geeko

Dante369 said:
I bought this on 360 over the weekend and then my console RROD'd on me right before I got to play it.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I know the feeling.

gdt

Just ordered this game (for $10.99 from Amazon), better be good GAF!

Question, does this have local co-op/multiplayer?

Madman

gdt5016 said:
Just ordered this game (for $10.99 from Amazon), better be good GAF!

Question, does this have local co-op/multiplayer?
Yes. Wrecking Crew is great fun. There are videos descriptions out there.

Edit: Should be noted it is a pass the controller game.

AppleBlade

So this game just got released on PSN. Since I'm a digital download junkie I'm seriously thinking about dropping the $20 dollars on it. The only thing that is holding me back is that I just started a gamefly subscription and just received God of War 3 and Darksiders. So, I know the game is not that old, but how has it aged?

scitek

Has anyone bothered beating this game on the hardest difficulty? I've played through it twice, once on the 360 and once on the PC, but both times were on Casual. Normal alone seemed way too frustrating.

scitek said:
Has anyone bothered beating this game on the hardest difficulty? I've played through it twice, once on the 360 and once on the PC, but both times were on Casual. Normal alone seemed way too frustrating.
I agree. I played on casual too, I was in it for the blowing *&$ up, not fighting hundreds of dudes coming from nowhere.

scitek said:

Based on many of the stories on the forums, casual is the way to play to get any general enjoyment out of the game.

Plus there's no real reward for beating it on any specific difficulty other than casual anyway.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LongDongJunon said:
Based on many of the stories on the forums, casual is the way to play to get any general enjoyment out of the game.

Plus there's no real reward for beating it on any specific difficulty other than casual anyway.
Casual is a little on the easy side if you're using a mouse.

gdt

Started this today...is solid enough, I guess. Not too enthralled, though.

Awesome blowing-shit-up-engine though. That's great.

Guess I should switch to casual then, huh?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Using the in-game cheats like super sledge is a blast. It's fun slamming cars across the place with it!

Game was way too addicting. Mining all that ore...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gdt5016 said:
Started this today...is solid enough, I guess. Not too enthralled, though.

Awesome blowing-shit-up-engine though. That's great.

Guess I should switch to casual then, huh?
I always play all my games on hard. This is the only game I can think of that I absolutely, positively recommend playing on casual. Its just so much more fun.

How is the community for this on PSN?

I saw it for $20 download - I played the campaign but never got into the muliplayer. I'm thinking of re-buying for MP if there's a pulse on PSN.

theBishop

Banned
Apologize in advance for the heinous bump!

I'm trying to get a printable scan of the NTSC PS3 boxart for this game. I got a used copy of RFG but it came in an awful generic box with black and white insert. I trolled all the common boxart sites and couldn't find a high res scan.

Can someone with the PS3 version scan the insert for me? NTSC is preferred, but it really doesn't matter.

Awesome game, worth 60 bucks in my opinion. Its one of those games where you feel totally badass. You keep wiping out the oppressive EDF, don't take lip, etc. I love blowing up the big buildings in EOS, hendrix hall, etc. Get a real sense of freedom in being a rebel as well. I wasn't a huge fan of the multiplayer, though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I finally got around to playing this. I'm 7 hours in and getting a little bored, honestly. Hopefully ramping stuff up will make it awesome.

I went on a raid in a hilariously quick fashion. I took the armored truck and had 3 others with me, but still drove up to the building as fast as possible, jumped it and bailed out mid-air with no care for my guys. This was quite effective as destroying the front. Then I lobbed like 8 charges inside as my comrades ran out to shoot people, and when I let them rip the truck added a lot of extra boom (as expected) then I used the rocket launcher to wipe out the rest in like 10-15 seconds. I think the resulting explosions from it falling killed like 7 people, 3 of them being my own, but morale was still at 100 by the end of it. Sometimes taking out a building is kind of majestic (I love making smokestacks slowly tip over), but other times it gives a hollow, deck-of-cards sort of feel. Maybe next gen the buildings will be more full, like in Uncharted 2.

I was getting really irritated by the voice actress who always had her incredibly forced, generic "anger" phrases; Always "EDF" this "Drones!" that... it was so tiresome. People seem to speak an eastern european language where I am now. Overall I kind of feel like this engine could be put to much better use than this mars colony setting. The upcoming RF looks great.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Finally got to an interesting story part.

Followed bandits into a stargate or something.

Me: "Sounds like they're talking to parker"
Dude: "Parker is dead."
Me: "THEN WHO WAS PHONE??"

dLMN8R

(necro-bump)

I finally got around to playing this game after having it a while. Playing it on PC with a quad core and an AMD 6850, getting around 25-35FPS at 1920x1200 with everything maxed out.

Lowering AA and turning off ambient occlusion don't improve my frame rate a whole lot, maybe 35-40 at best. Shouldn't the game be running a lot better?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
dLMN8R said:
(necro-bump)

I finally got around to playing this game after having it a while. Playing it on PC with a quad core and an AMD 6850, getting around 25-35FPS at 1920x1200 with everything maxed out.

Lowering AA and turning off ambient occlusion don't improve my frame rate a whole lot, maybe 35-40 at best. Shouldn't the game be running a lot better?
Add -nod3d10 to your shortcut.

dLMN8R

Yeah holy crap, I thought I'd simply get frame rates comparable to disabling those features in DX10, but I easily doubled my frame rate. I think I can live without those features...thanks! No more mouse lag too since my frame rate is so much higher.

dLMN8R

All I have to say is THANK YOU to everyone on every podcast I've heard over the years who suggested to play this game on casual difficulty. I've only played for a couple hours but I'm having so much fun just tearing everything up like crazy, and could imagine the game being tremendously frustrating without doing so.

Shaneus

Well, finally finished the story of this... very, very happy with the overall experience. When my backlog is clear (200 games lol) I'll definitely come back to this... if I haven't died of old age first.

dLMN8R

Jesus why did no one ever tell me that this game has mechs in it? Mechs that can fly? Mechs that can WALK THROUGH FUCKING BUILDINGS??

I put probably 5-10 hours into this over the weekend, and just took out the artillery base. So freaking addictive.

I love driving a car with a moab into the EDF military base in The Badlands and blowing it up right in the middle of the base. So much fun.

dLMN8R

Yeah, same here. I really hate the overall MOAB mechanic though. I've found 15-20 of the hidden tags so I've gotten a bunch of MOABs, but I always happen to pick up the 3rd tag in the worst place, so far away from something I actually need to blow up. Then I end up driving around in this volatile car forever, scared to death that I'll accidentally destroy it before I actually need the bomb.

dLMN8R said:
Jesus why did no one ever tell me that this game has mechs in it? Mechs that can fly? Mechs that can WALK THROUGH FUCKING BUILDINGS??

I put probably 5-10 hours into this over the weekend, and just took out the artillery base. So freaking addictive.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying one of the best games from this gen!

DeVeAn

So after playing this on and off for a few months I decided I would give some impressions. I got it off Steam for 5 dollars and for that price its good fun, however it has the most annoying enemies ever. The swarm you cars and all, you have garbage guns to start off. While the later guns seem powerful they still aren't good enough.

Be prepared to do later missions over and over. So many cheaps deaths. Its a blast in small sessions but other than that its just too much cheapness with the 200 vs 1, especially when there is no end to them spawning.

Leucrota

DeVeAn said:
So after playing this on and off for a few months I decided I would give some impressions. I got it off Steam for 5 dollars and for that price its good fun, however it has the most annoying enemies ever. The swarm you cars and all, you have garbage guns to start off. While the later guns seem powerful they still aren't good enough.

Be prepared to do later missions over and over. So many cheaps deaths. Its a blast in small sessions but other than that its just too much cheapness with the 200 vs 1, especially when there is no end to them spawning.

Put difficulty on casual.

On, Volition listened (to you!) and put fucking fantastically strong and unique guns in Red Faction: Armaggedon, just so you know.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DeVeAn said:

You either have to grind for upgrades by destroying abandoned buildings for scrap or use hit and run guerrilla tactics.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
PatMcAtee said:
On, Volition listened (to you!) and put fucking fantastically strong and unique guns in Red Faction: Armaggedon, just so you know.
Bwahaha, Volition listening to fans. That's hilarious.
Armaggedon feels like a giant middle finger to those who liked Guerilla. :(

Anyways, I think I'll pick this up on Steam...I want to test my new rig out. :D

MaddenNFL64

Got this for 5 bucks on Onlive hah. Playing the intro portion felt so odd. I just smash shit? What the fuck is the point of this game...?

But then you get out in the world & oh... It's fucking Crackdown but on Mars, and you smash buildings. Cool.

Finished up Parker, and onto Dust for now.

Leucrota

chubigans said:
Bwahaha, Volition listening to fans. That's hilarious.
Armaggedon feels like a giant middle finger to those who liked Guerilla. :(

Anyways, I think I'll pick this up on Steam...I want to test my new rig out. :D

I loved RFG, but the weakest part of the game was the open world aspect. Destroying stuff and the story missions were definitely the best part, and both of these things have been expanded in Armageddon.

I really don't see what they could have done better, open-world wise, especially with today's limited technology (mostly held back by consoles).

Wow, I've played this today and it made me remember how amazing the destruction and physics are in this game. Destroying a bridge has never been that fun :D

Robso

Sorry for bumping an old thread but i'm unable to make a new one currently.

Saw someone selling this on a site and decided to try the demo again. I don't think I gave the demo a proper chance the first time around a few years back. Today however, I did. I was really impressed. The destruction you can cause is insane.

I could do with some questions being answered though, please.

I've heard that on missions the EDF will come after you in large numbers. Is this overwhelming and difficult to escape from? Also, do they come when you're half way through an objective, so perhaps have to escape and then return back?

Is there a way to recover health whilst on missions?

I know repetition can be associated with every game but did anybody find this at all repetitive? Have seen it mentioned.

I'm not a shooter fan usually, but the odd shooter here and there I do seem to enjoy. Having enjoyed the demo i'm considering Guerrilla.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: If I get it, it'll probably be a second hand copy. What do new copies come with? Manual of course. Map?

Top Bottom