• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(05-19-2017, 11:24 PM)
SolVanderlyn's Avatar
I know upgrading the villagers right away is recommended, but what about regular classes (like Lukas)? Grind to max level as usual, or is this game different?

Edit: Nvm, covered on last page
Rutger
Banned
(05-19-2017, 11:28 PM)

Originally Posted by CSX

After more than a decade of promoting at level 20 for best stats, this is gonna be tough as fuck to get used to :\

There have always been exceptions to waiting for level 20. Sometimes higher endgame stats isn't as useful as getting the promotion bonuses(and maybe some unique class traits) earlier is.

It's not a bad thing to think over, much like how the Jeigan actually tends to be one of the most useful early game units. The beginner traps in FE are not always as straightforward as they seem.
B00TE
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:34 PM)
B00TE's Avatar
The transitions into the battle animations and the animations themselves are just so good.
Totakeke
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:36 PM)
Totakeke's Avatar
It feels weird not having the urge to scroll through dialogue as fast as possible. I was wondering if I should even consider Disgaea 5 but I don't think I tolerate all the silly incessant dialogue anymore.
Alex
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:38 PM)
Alex's Avatar
I liked Fates plenty, despite some of the disdain it gets but this is already a much better title to me, thus far.
Snkfanatic
Banned
(05-19-2017, 11:38 PM)
Snkfanatic's Avatar
Got my LE in :D

Even the NA version without the Amiibo is huge, shesh.
Chase17
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:39 PM)
Chase17's Avatar
I'm regretting not making Faye a cleric. Been a pretty strong Pegasus knight though, but you get a different one early on anyways lol.
PsionBolt
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:42 PM)
PsionBolt's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chase17

I'm regretting not making Faye a cleric. Been a pretty strong Pegasus knight though, but you get a different one early on anyways lol.

I made the same choice, and don't regret a thing. Narratively, Faye works best as a murder machine, flying way ahead of the army with the goal of proudly presenting the enemy's head to Alm once he catches up.
Bleeether
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:43 PM)
Bleeether's Avatar
Heads up. The limited edition is up on amazon prime right now.
theprodigy
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Rutger

There have always been exceptions to waiting for level 20. Sometimes higher endgame stats isn't as useful as getting the promotion bonuses(and maybe some unique class traits) earlier is.

It's not a bad thing to think over, much like how the Jeigan actually tends to be one of the most useful early game units. The beginner traps in FE are not always as straightforward as they seem.

More like early promoting has typically been better and the Tellius games (and a few scattered instances elsewhere) are the one exception.
Trojita
Rapid Response Threadmaker
(05-19-2017, 11:45 PM)
Trojita's Avatar
Wow that season pass is expensive.
Draxal
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:52 PM)
Draxal's Avatar

Originally Posted by B00TE

The transitions into the battle animations and the animations themselves are just so good.

Yeah, they really upped their game there.
Huge Succeeded
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:53 PM)
Huge Succeeded's Avatar
I didn't know this game was even out yet! My brother just got a copy in the mail, though.


I'm not making the same mistakes I made with Fates, though. Sooo...

On a scale of 1 to 10

with 10 being perfect

and 1 being Fire Emblem: Fates


how are the writing and dialogue in this game? I had someone buy me a 3DS XL for my birthday, specifically for Fates.
I bought the combined package. Birthright, Conquest, Revelations.
I didn't make it ten chapters into Birthright before the writing put me off for good.
Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(05-19-2017, 11:55 PM)
Adam Prime's Avatar
Let me just state the obvious after only 15 minutes in the game:

* The voice acting is excellent. Great reads from every VA!
* The music is awesome! It sets the mood while character stills are just reading lines. It sounds like a really really good radio drama.


The first battle was LOL, that dude was a true savage! I used all the children as meat shields.

Taruranto
Banned
(05-19-2017, 11:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Huge Succeeded

I didn't know this game was even out yet! My brother just got a copy in the mail, though.


I'm not making the same mistakes I made with Fates, though. Sooo...

On a scale of 1 to 10

with 10 being perfect

and 1 being Fire Emblem: Fates


how is the writing in this game? I had someone buy me a 3DS XL for my birthday, specifically for Fates. I didn't make it ten chapters into Birthright before the writing put me off for good.

It's pretty much standard Fire Emblem's writing so not really good, think FE7-8-9. So don't expect FFT, but neither Conquest's nonsense (At least as far I played). It's also more closer to 90' anime rather than 2010 anime, atmosphere-wise, I guess.

Supports are lacking in both quantity and quality tho', imo.
nubbe
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:59 PM)
nubbe's Avatar
at Act 3 now and I'm really liking it.
the VA is really good and makes you more invested in the characters and their personalities surface much better.
Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(05-19-2017, 11:59 PM)
Adam Prime's Avatar

Originally Posted by Huge Succeeded

and 1 being Fire Emblem: Fates


how are the writing and dialogue in this game? I had someone buy me a 3DS XL for my birthday, specifically for Fates.
I bought the combined package. Birthright, Conquest, Revelations.
I didn't make it ten chapters into Birthright before the writing put me off for good.

I've only played 15 minutes into the game. It's already better than Fates. The voice acting on each line is a game changer. It's terrifically read. And the music is already better than Fates.

Conquest was one of my TOP 3DS games, and I'm already impressed with this. Like it's been said a lot in this thread: the presentation is the best of the 3DS titles.

8-4 did the translation, so you know it's top notch.
Busaiku
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:07 AM)
Busaiku's Avatar
No weapon triangle makes things so dull.
Huge Succeeded
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:10 AM)
Huge Succeeded's Avatar
Thanks, guys. Guess I'll give this a go.

I'm not even looking for excellence. Something written as well as FE:A or Shining Force 2 is good enough for me. Sounds like this game is at least there!
theprodigy
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Busaiku

No weapon triangle makes things so dull.

As opposed to usually pretending it doesn't exist anyway?
Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(05-20-2017, 12:23 AM)
Adam Prime's Avatar

Originally Posted by Busaiku

No weapon triangle makes things so dull.

lol I never noticed it in Awakening/Conquest because it usually came down to who's a higher level regardless of weapon.
Rainy
Banned
(05-20-2017, 12:24 AM)
How's the gameplay in this compared to Awakening and Fates?
Rutger
Banned
(05-20-2017, 12:28 AM)

Originally Posted by theprodigy

More like early promoting has typically been better and the Tellius games (and a few scattered instances elsewhere) are the one exception.

True, haha.

Originally Posted by Busaiku

No weapon triangle makes things so dull.

I mean, it's really nothing more than a small bonus or penalty. It should have never been a top priority in your strategy.
DecoReturns
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:28 AM)
DecoReturns's Avatar
Celica's over world theme is Much better then Alms'
DangerMouse
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:31 AM)
DangerMouse's Avatar

Originally Posted by purseowner

Yeah, disappointed by this.

Effect is nice elsewhere in the game though at least.

Yeah loved the 3D in Fates. Cutscenes, gameplay, text boxes with the portraits, etc.

That's good to hear at least.
Lord of Ostia
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:39 AM)
Lord of Ostia's Avatar
What's the downside to making Tobin a mercenary as opposed to an Archer? It seems to really improve his stats, and archer is kind of meh for stats, plus I know Python joins soon.
The Awesomest
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:39 AM)
The Awesomest's Avatar
NOO. I meant to make Tobin an Archer, not a Mercenary! Well... I guess we're rolling with two mercs now.

Edit: oh hello relevant post right above
L95
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:45 AM)
L95's Avatar
Oh, neat, you can temporarily unlock the sound room with the same button combo it's unlocked with in the original Gaiden ( ↑ ↓ ← → ↑ on the d-pad when "press any button" shows up on the title screen.)

I guess some of the sound room song names could be considered spoilers tho, so be careful
Immaculate
Banned
(05-20-2017, 12:52 AM)

Originally Posted by rickyson1

anyone got a rough idea of how long this is by the way? want to know how much of this I can play over the next week and still have enough to keep me busy during my flight and layover

The original game was 20~ ish hours for just the story alone. I'm not sure if this game is a 1:1 remake so it could be a little longer
Delio
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:56 AM)
Delio's Avatar
Hmm im not sure what to make Kliff into. I read earlier that he does well with anything but i dunno. I know they want to toss him into mage but i want to do something different.
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(05-20-2017, 12:57 AM)
TheMoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snkfanatic

Got my LE in :D

Even the NA version without the Amiibo is huge, shesh.

it's that damn artbook :)
BRSxIgnition
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:06 AM)
BRSxIgnition's Avatar
Just to make sure I understand that class change post right... It's better for me to class change units at Lv.5 (when it's first possible) than later due to changes in skill growths, right?

Or should I level them up as far as possible before doing so?
dreamlongdead
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:10 AM)
dreamlongdead's Avatar
I really don't know how much longer I can wait before buying this. This is where I start feeling bad about spending money on Heroes. With just a bit of restraint, I could have had this instantly.

I have not picked up a single game (new or old) this whole year, but Echoes will certainly be the first. I'm going into this very blind.
Lord of Ostia
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:11 AM)
Lord of Ostia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Delio

Hmm im not sure what to make Kliff into. I read earlier that he does well with anything but i dunno. I know they want to toss him into mage but i want to do something different.

Most people do mage with him as he has the biggest spell list of all the villagers
UnnecessaryTodd
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:14 AM)
UnnecessaryTodd's Avatar
I'm awful at strategy games and FE in particular, the last one I played was Sacred Stones, so I'm hoping the weirdness of Gaiden mitigates my terribleness.

I'm still doing the opening segment but i'm loving the VA performances already, and the writing ain't bad. I also love the auto-text option, the conversation actually has good flow to it with it enabled. I'm legitimately impressed.
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(05-20-2017, 01:16 AM)
TheMoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by BRSxIgnition

Just to make sure I understand that class change post right... It's better for me to class change units at Lv.5 (when it's first possible) than later due to changes in skill growths, right?

Or should I level them up as far as possible before doing so?

It seems pretty straightforward and hard to misunderstand to me :)

Originally Posted by Technoweirdo

Fine, fine. I'll get on it~

tl;dr: Promote ASAP
.

Originally Posted by Erheller

[...] So in almost all cases (read: for casual play, all cases) it's better to take the immediate power surge you gain by promoting instead of waiting to roll the dice to see if you could *possibly* get a slightly better unit. Also, grinding to level 20 takes a LOT of time.

Basically, pros of promoting ASAP:
Get a powerful unit when you need it
Don't have to grind
Frees up experience for other units/feed more experience to the same unit

Cons: You may have missed out on your chance to grind for four hours and to get a very slightly better unit for the end of the game.

BRSxIgnition
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:19 AM)
BRSxIgnition's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheMoon

It seems pretty straightforward and hard to misunderstand to me :)

99% of that was me being to lazy to go back a page - thanks though!
Lord of Ostia
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:29 AM)
Lord of Ostia's Avatar

Originally Posted by UnnecessaryTodd

I'm awful at strategy games and FE in particular, the last one I played was Sacred Stones, so I'm hoping the weirdness of Gaiden mitigates my terribleness.

I'm still doing the opening segment but i'm loving the VA performances already, and the writing ain't bad. I also love the auto-text option, the conversation actually has good flow to it with it enabled. I'm legitimately impressed.

Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia shares a lot in common with Sacred Stones, so you probably aren't as far behind the curve as you think
Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(05-20-2017, 01:32 AM)
Adam Prime's Avatar

Originally Posted by UnnecessaryTodd


I'm still doing the opening segment but i'm loving the VA performances already, and the writing ain't bad. I also love the auto-text option, the conversation actually has good flow to it with it enabled. I'm legitimately impressed.

Same here. I used to think VA wasn't that important to me. This game is teaching me... it can change the way you feel about a game by having good VA.
nubbe
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:35 AM)
nubbe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Adam Prime

Same here. I used to think VA wasn't that important to me. This game is teaching me... it can change the way you feel about a game by having good VA.

SoV could be better than BotW
Xenoflare
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:40 AM)
Xenoflare's Avatar
Question about the shard DLCs

I'm aware that there are two of them, one for "early on" and the latter is for "mid to end game"

But aside from the strength of the enemies, will I get the same shards or is the latter DLC offer more in that department as well?
Delio
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:04 AM)
Delio's Avatar
I went with Mage!Tobin and boy he is knocking heads around left and right. I just toss him,Gray and Alm into the fray and watch them rip people apart.
DecoReturns
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:06 AM)
DecoReturns's Avatar
I'm gonna end up Buying/importing the Inevitable Official Soundtrack release (I hope they release one).

I'm liking the Music more then Fates and Awakening.
Semajer
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:14 AM)
Semajer's Avatar
Is there anything in Ram Village related to Faye's promotion? There's one of each of the other villagers.
ryseing
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:16 AM)
Game is incredible. Never knew I needed dungeon crawling in my Fire Emblem. At the end of Part 1 and my favorite unit is Mage Kliff. Friggin crit machine with how high his luck is.
Weebos
Banned
(05-20-2017, 02:16 AM)
Loving the game so far, but it is Fire Emblem so that is a given.

I'm playing on Hard and it is pretty easy so far.
Currygan
at last, for christ's sake
(05-20-2017, 02:23 AM)
Currygan's Avatar
Just bought this game, forgetting i had sold my 3ds months ago
Hcoregamer00
The 'H' stands for hentai.
(05-20-2017, 03:22 AM)
Hcoregamer00's Avatar
This game is so awesome, I am loving it. Dat soundtrack, character designs, in game character models, and voice acting.

I don't get why people say that with the coming of fates, heroes, and now Valentia will cause burnout. His game is so different and feels different than any FE I ever played. With the dungeon crawling and exploration, this feels more like a tradional JRPG with an FE skin on top.
EndlessSky
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:01 AM)
EndlessSky's Avatar
The magic sword you can find early on is so strong lol. Definitely makes taking out cavalry and soldiers much faster with only one other mage. Surprised they give you it so early.
DecoReturns
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:07 AM)
DecoReturns's Avatar
So you always take 1 point of damage when your defense is higher then your opponent attack?

Been noticing a lack of "No Damage"

Thread Tools