• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

chaosblade
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:57 AM)
chaosblade's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nyoro SF

Anyway, Zanmai version of Overdosing Heavenly Bliss, have a listen.

I'm not sure I ever listened to that album, but this arrangement is giving me all the right feels.


And it seems like yet another arrange album I'll probably buy. Falcom was hitting out of the park with every arrange album in 2012-2013. All four Zanmai albums and the Ys Collected Music album are so good.

Kind of a shame they have done so little since. Just Sen no Kiseki Super Arrange (I'll listen to that after I play the game) and We Love Sora no Kiseki, which I need to check out.
Last edited by chaosblade; 05-20-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Baliis
Member
(05-20-2017, 06:55 AM)
Baliis's Avatar

Originally Posted by chaosblade

I'm not sure I ever listened to that album, but this arrangement is giving me all the right feels.


And it seems like yet another arrange album I'll probably buy. Falcom was hitting out of the park with every arrange album in 2012-2013. All four Zanmai albums and the Ys Collected Music album are so good.

Kind of a shame they have done so little since. Just Sen no Kiseki Super Arrange (I'll listen to that after I play the game) and We Love Sora no Kiseki, which I need to check out.

The whole Sora no kiseki zanmai album is great. The Sophisticated Battle arrangement on it is fantastic.
BassForever
Member
(05-20-2017, 10:30 AM)
BassForever's Avatar
The difference is in SC the enforcers on a 1 v 1 standing would beat most of the cast they lose 4 v 1 due to shonen teamwork/friendship. It's also for sure 4 on 1 since if you don't bring specific characters to specific fights the enforcers comment on it and you miss bonus scenes. The game also does a good job of explaining why party members who are strong enough to 1 v 1 the enforcers don't over power them.

In CS2 the cutscenes and gameplay basically make it 10 on 1-2 where even after your team "wins" the bad guy gets up and activates their "true power" before the party gets bailed out by an npc. This inherently makes the team feel like they have no urgency in their own story since all they do 90% of the time is stall for moral victories till the actually strong characters can bail them out. It also creates dissonance when Rean and Sarah should be able to tag team most of the enforcers but for some reason suffer from plot weakness when the story demands someone stronger save the day

If SC was CS2 after beating each enforcer they would power up showing they were holding back against estelle and co, then an npc like killika, cid, richard, or cassius would show up to fight the enforcer on an equal and tell the team to "get going"
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(05-20-2017, 06:53 PM)
SolVanderlyn's Avatar
The dissonance between JP speaking fans and western fans continues to fascinate me. NONE of these problems were brought up in fan communities before CS's localization, but SO MANY people take issue with them. Makes me wonder if there's some culturual dissonance going on here...

(I am an English fan who also takes issue with the constant need to be saved and tonal dissonance of war/shonen tropes in CS2)
EndcatOmega
Member
(05-20-2017, 07:49 PM)
EndcatOmega's Avatar
Could also be differences in how it's portrayed in Japanese and the localisation specifically but honestly as little as someone who can't speak Japanese can tell XSeed's localisations seem really, really good (Sky's dialogue in particular flows pretty naturally for a JRPG translation).
Last edited by EndcatOmega; 05-20-2017 at 07:58 PM.
StarSketch
Member
(05-20-2017, 08:00 PM)
StarSketch's Avatar

Originally Posted by SolVanderlyn

The dissonance between JP speaking fans and western fans continues to fascinate me. NONE of these problems were brought up in fan communities before CS's localization, but SO MANY people take issue with them. Makes me wonder if there's some culturual dissonance going on here...

(I am an English fan who also takes issue with the constant need to be saved and tonal dissonance of war/shonen tropes in CS2)

I saw a similar thing going on with Persona 5 post Japanese and post English release. There's a lot of complaints I didn't see following the Japanese release that started cropping up after it came out in English.

It might just be a result of there being fewer people who played the Japanese version VS people who played the English version. The more people playing it, the more people to take issue with certain things.
Taruranto
<3 BioWare <3
(05-20-2017, 08:00 PM)
Taruranto's Avatar
Ah, this discussion again. Yep, most of CS2 Infernal Castle was really bad, I also think it really made little sense. (CS2 end-game spoilers) The game clearly stated Vita needed Rean and Valimar to activate the... thing, so it made little sense to send enforcers after the party at that point of the game. No to mention it made the adults look totally irresponsible, they can't beat Duvalie and Blueblanc so I'm not sure why they expected them to have any chances with the rest of the dungeon.


It's really contrived.

Originally Posted by SolVanderlyn

The dissonance between JP speaking fans and western fans continues to fascinate me. NONE of these problems were brought up in fan communities before CS's localization, but SO MANY people take issue with them. Makes me wonder if there's some culturual dissonance going on here...

If you mean JP speaking fans on western boards I don't see how it is weird, more people played the games so more people are going to discuss them/have different issues with them.
Last edited by Taruranto; 05-20-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Shake Appeal
Member
(05-20-2017, 08:01 PM)
Shake Appeal's Avatar
Holy heck, the end of SC is a slog. Just boss fight after boss fight.
Thud
Member
(05-20-2017, 08:52 PM)
Thud's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shake Appeal

Holy heck, the end of SC is a slog. Just boss fight after boss fight.

That's what makes it great.
Nyoro SF
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:13 PM)
Nyoro SF's Avatar

Originally Posted by SolVanderlyn

The dissonance between JP speaking fans and western fans continues to fascinate me. NONE of these problems were brought up in fan communities before CS's localization, but SO MANY people take issue with them. Makes me wonder if there's some culturual dissonance going on here...

(I am an English fan who also takes issue with the constant need to be saved and tonal dissonance of war/shonen tropes in CS2)

Are you sure about that? Amazon and fansite reviews for the game are pretty diverse in JP. In fact, one of the top 3 Amazon reviews written for CS2 after it released, mentions this problem of excessive losing as one of its first points.

In fact, I see a lot of other notes that line up between USA and Japan, mentioning the story and other things. I think USA and Japan are actually in agreement for both the positive and negative things, there are no real differences that I noticed.

It was the same for Cold Steel 1 too.
Last edited by Nyoro SF; 05-20-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Vamphuntr
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:20 PM)
Vamphuntr's Avatar
Don't worry they will win for real in Cold Steel 4.
Tonton
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:22 PM)
Tonton's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vamphuntr

Don't worry they will win for real in Cold Steel 4.

The new class VII will be the one losing now
By Cold Steel 5 they might win
Psxphile
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:24 PM)
Psxphile's Avatar
dat unused SC/3rd content

(one of those vids is an alternate/unsused take on Star Door 15, but should be considered a spoiler)

Shame that sugoroku minigame wasn't completed, could have been fun.



also this:



I feel like these things may have already been discussed before? I'm getting a weird sense of deja-vu now that I'm posting this.
Nyoro SF
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:24 PM)
Nyoro SF's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tonton

The new class VII will be the one losing now
By Cold Steel 5 they might win

lmao

THE ROLE OF LOSING HAS BEEN PASSED ON TO THE NEW GENERATION
Vamphuntr
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:27 PM)
Vamphuntr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nyoro SF

lmao

THE ROLE OF LOSING HAS BEEN PASSED ON TO THE NEW GENERATION

It's the best thing Rean can teach : Losing.
CrimsonFist
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:31 PM)
CrimsonFist's Avatar

Originally Posted by Psxphile

dat unused SC/3rd content

(one of those vids is an alternate/unsused take on Star Door 15, but should be considered a spoiler)

Is that the PSP version of the door?
Tonton
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:33 PM)
Tonton's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrimsonFist

Is that the PSP version of the door?

It's an unused, different version left in the game's code
Which apparently XSEED translated on their build?
Vamphuntr
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:34 PM)
Vamphuntr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Psxphile

dat unused SC/3rd content

(one of those vids is an alternate/unsused take on Star Door 15, but should be considered a spoiler)

Shame that sugoroku minigame wasn't completed, could have been fun.



also this:



I feel like these things may have already been discussed before? I'm getting a weird sense of deja-vu now that I'm posting this.

Julia with long hair. I guess they wanted to use it in a flashback.
DPB
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:45 PM)
DPB's Avatar
What's the title of the 3rd's version of Fateful Confrontation? The one that plays when you're fighting Luciola, Walter and Bleublanc. I can't seem to find it anywhere on Youtube.
Tonton
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:46 PM)
Tonton's Avatar

Originally Posted by DPB

What's the title of the 3rd's version of Fateful Confrontation? The one that plays when you're fighting Luciola, Walter and Bleublanc. I can't seem to find it anywhere on Youtube.

Is it not regular Fateful Confrontation?
DPB
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:50 PM)
DPB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tonton

Is it not regular Fateful Confrontation?

Nope, I found it though. Strangely it doesn't seem to be part of the OST.

Original version from SC

3rd
desmax
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:53 PM)
desmax's Avatar

Originally Posted by DPB

What's the title of the 3rd's version of Fateful Confrontation? The one that plays when you're fighting Luciola, Walter and Bleublanc. I can't seem to find it anywhere on Youtube.

It's called "Maybe it was Fated"

It's on the FC & SC super arranged ost
Nyoro SF
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:54 PM)
Nyoro SF's Avatar

Originally Posted by DPB

Nope, I found it though. Strangely it doesn't seem to be part of the OST.

Original version from SC

3rd

There song in particular is pulled from the Super Arrange Sora album which is probably why it wasn't included with the 3rd's OST.

It's one of Falcom's best in regards to Kiseki, so I recommend this playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...9cXs5noNElYE2B
CrimsonFist
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:55 PM)
CrimsonFist's Avatar

Originally Posted by DPB

Nope, I found it though. Strangely it doesn't seem to be part of the OST.

Original version from SC

3rd

Sounds like the Super Arrange version

Originally Posted by Tonton

It's an unused, different version left in the game's code
Which apparently XSEED translated on their build?

Yeah, I read that the PSP version is toned down from the PC version, so thought it might be that, but apparently the PSP one just cuts out the first half of it.
Tonton
Member
(05-20-2017, 10:03 PM)
Tonton's Avatar

Originally Posted by desmax

It's called "Maybe it was Fated"

It's on the FC & SC super arranged ost

Originally Posted by Nyoro SF

There song in particular is pulled from the Super Arrange Sora album which is probably why it wasn't included with the 3rd's OST.

Originally Posted by CrimsonFist

Sounds like the Super Arrange version.

Ah so they did like Holy Saint, Holy Spirit in Cold Steel 2, cool hadn't noticed

Originally Posted by CrimsonFist

Yeah, I read that the PSP version is toned down from the PC version, so thought it might be that, but apparently the PSP one just cuts out the first half of it.

Really? I thought the problematic part would have been a certain CG near the end
Last edited by Tonton; 05-20-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Pellegri Testament
Member
(05-20-2017, 10:13 PM)
Pellegri Testament's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tonton

Really? I thought the problematic part would have been a certain CG near the end

Nah they cut out the entirety of Paradise, not just the scene at the end. There was no way the game was hitting the console rating they wanted for it if they kept any of that in.
Last edited by Pellegri Testament; 05-20-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Baliis
Member
(05-20-2017, 10:24 PM)
Baliis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tonton

Really? I thought the problematic part would have been a certain CG near the end

Originally Posted by Pellegri Testament

Nah they cut out the entirety of Paradise, not just the scene at the end. There was no way that game was hitting the rating they wanted for it if they kept any of that in.

The psp version cuts everything before Joshua and Loewe enter, and then cuts the image of Renne laying on the floor
SatelliteOfLove
Member
(05-20-2017, 11:22 PM)
SatelliteOfLove's Avatar

Originally Posted by Psxphile

dat unused SC/3rd content

(one of those vids is an alternate/unsused take on Star Door 15, but should be considered a spoiler)

Shame that sugoroku minigame wasn't completed, could have been fun.



also this:



I feel like these things may have already been discussed before? I'm getting a weird sense of deja-vu now that I'm posting this.

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bookmarked for latah.

I so love Falcom opening up this stuff to the outside world like with this and "8 Leaves Alisa" and "Crow-Rean" from before CS3 was revealed. Just all sorta stuff to ponder over.

Originally Posted by Vamphuntr

It's the best thing Rean can teach : Losing.

CS1&2 spoilers: And JOBBING. He'll job for his old man now, with Agate's party, Sara's party, and Lloyd's party (plus who knows how many more) getting put over by whooping up on him. It's how his character arc can WORK up to this point, otherwise CS2 has huge issues of jobbers getting powerups after getting wrecked many times before and the fact Rean and the crew does "OK", but it all breaks bad is ignored.

It's not the arcs the others had, but if he breaks out of this, legitimately breaks out of this, then he's a Trails Hero.
#faithinCS3

Originally Posted by Vamphuntr

Julia with long hair. I guess they wanted to use it in a flashback.

:OOOOOOOO

I couldn't place that face, but I knew it was familiar.
PK Gaming
Member
(05-20-2017, 11:41 PM)
PK Gaming's Avatar




Picture above, one of the best scenes series


Estelle's friendship with Kloe is just... the best. It's sweet and natural, and actually developed. It's not just "okay we're friends now BYE" window dressing that permeates RPGs. When Estelle and Kloe become best friends, it sticks. It's pretty rare to get good female-female friendships in gaming, which makes it stand out even more. The scene from the screenshots was also fantastic. What a great way follow up to the relationship that was set up in FC. A lesser RPG definitely would have used Kloe's crush on Joshua as a dumb plotpoint for drama, but the game succeeds in having Estelle and Kloe act like normal people, despite the fantasy setting.

Related, but I don't understand some of the Kloe hate. Kloe is this super well realized character, that grows and develops alongside Joshua and Estelle. She has a cliche set up, but it's a testament to the game's writing that Kloe ends up feeling like a real person.. She's not my favorite by any stretch, but to call her a bad character... no way. She's inoffensive at worst.
Nyoro SF
Member
(05-20-2017, 11:49 PM)
Nyoro SF's Avatar

Originally Posted by PK Gaming

Estelle's friendship with Kloe is just... the best. It's sweet and natural, and actually developed. It's not just "okay we're friends now BYE" window dressing that permeates RPGs. When Estelle and Kloe become best friends, it sticks. It's pretty rare to get good female-female friendships in gaming, which makes it stand out even more. The scene from the screenshots was also fantastic. What a great way follow up to the relationship that was set up in FC. A lesser RPG definitely would have used Kloe's crush on Joshua as a dumb plotpoint for drama, but the game succeeds in having Estelle and Kloe act like normal people, despite the fantasy setting.

Related, but I don't understand some of the Kloe hate. Kloe is this super well realized character, that grows and develops alongside Joshua and Estelle. She has a cliche set up, but it's a testament to the game's writing that Kloe ends up feeling like a real person.. She's not my favorite by any stretch, but to call her a bad character... no way. She's inoffensive at worst.

That IS one of the best scenes in the whole series. I assume this is your current chapter, good work and keep on rocking.
Oreiller
Member
(05-20-2017, 11:56 PM)
Oreiller's Avatar
Yeah, it's probably my favorite scene in the series, along with some from Third. It's so well written and nuanced, it's pretty fantastic.
It also cemented Kloe as one of my favorite characters, she doesn't have an exuberant personnality or anything but there is a lot of subtlety to her imo.
R_thanatos
Member
(Yesterday, 04:34 AM)
R_thanatos's Avatar
Kloe is nothing short of magnificent

Excellent healer , very good arts cannon , overall very usefull with the right equips as supprts.

ON the game itself , she actually has issues that make her grow and evolve as a character... She could have been generic as heck if she didn't get motivated by her beliefs in FC , then still try to struggle to not be used.

Overall kloe is a sure bet if you want some arts in there
Thud
Member
(Yesterday, 10:08 AM)
Thud's Avatar
Kloe knows how to handle Estelle and Joshua. It's so good in the 3rd.
vkrili
Junior Member
(Yesterday, 10:12 AM)
vkrili's Avatar
I will say that SC and CS2 are different re: the villains in that SC is the ending, whereas CS2 is the middle.
jb1234
Member
(Today, 12:44 AM)
jb1234's Avatar
I have discovered the joys of Cheat Engine. Suddenly, the battles in SC have become about five times more tolerable. Urge to play the game rising again!
Basileus777
Member
(Today, 01:02 AM)
Basileus777's Avatar

Originally Posted by jb1234

I have discovered the joys of Cheat Engine. Suddenly, the battles in SC have become about five times more tolerable. Urge to play the game rising again!

Yep. I couldn't play these games without it anymore.
Psxphile
Member
(Today, 05:16 AM)
Psxphile's Avatar
https://twitter.com/endlesshistory/s...85527301812224



The whole Tokyo Xanadu/Ys 8/Kiseki cross promotion is gotta be pretty awkward for the localization parties involved, right?
chaosblade
Member
(Today, 05:50 AM)
chaosblade's Avatar

Originally Posted by Psxphile

https://twitter.com/endlesshistory/s...85527301812224



The whole Tokyo Xanadu/Ys 8/Kiseki cross promotion is gotta be pretty awkward for the localization parties involved, right?

If all three games have content like that from the other two they will probably all three agree to keep it simple and basically treat it as regular game content instead of jumping through a bunch of extra hoops. But one of the companies might be assholes about it and then we may get none of the content in any of the three games.
MSMrRound
Member
(Today, 06:28 AM)
MSMrRound's Avatar

Originally Posted by R_thanatos

Kloe is nothing short of magnificent

Excellent healer , very good arts cannon , overall very usefull with the right equips as supprts.

Yea Kloe's part in Trails 3rd so far was also pretty well done imo.

Other than healing, arts..and not forgetting...

"SIEG! TAKE 'EM DOWN!!"

Saved my bacon so many times (unless the bosses resist those...)

Thread Tools