• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

I need a new fuel scoop (4A). Filling up a Conda takes like five minutes.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
My interest has peaked, and I want to buy. My question is - should I just buy the regular digital version or the digital version with the season pass etc.

Will I be missing anything of value if I get base, cheap version?

Connected my PSVR to my PC and played ED with TrinusVR last night. 😳 Holy shit, this game is really amazing in VR and the sense of scale is ridiculous. Flying through planetary rings and driving on planetary surfaces is just mind-blowing. Major hats off to FDev for pulling this off in VR. If the PS4 Pro version of this game gets VR support I'll definitely double dip to enjoy this with native support.

Hylian7

Have they decreased the rate of interdictions over the last year or so? Since I have returned to the game, I have not gotten interdicted once.

Have they decreased the rate of interdictions over the last year or so? Since I have returned to the game, I have not gotten interdicted once.

I just got interdicted like five times in 45 minutes.

"Give me 10k credits and I'll let you live!"

"Did I say you could leave?!"

Fuck off AI

Hylian7

I just got interdicted like five times in 45 minutes.

"Give me 10k credits and I'll let you live!"

"Did I say you could leave?!"

Fuck off AI
Maybe they have some algorithm to not fuck with combat ships? It was kind of dumb when they interdicted my armed to the teeth Fer-De-Lance with an shieldless Sidewinder and tell me to drop my cargo (when I don't even have cargo racks).

Cantaloup

My interest has peaked, and I want to buy. My question is - should I just buy the regular digital version or the digital version with the season pass etc.

Will I be missing anything of value if I get base, cheap version?

The big feature of the Horizons add-on is the ability to land on planets and drive around on them in a rover. Some other additions are Engineers (ship module customization), passenger missions, and fighter bays for larger ships.

If you're going to get into this game, you will want Horizons. But if you're not sure you can start with the base game and get it later.

Maybe they have some algorithm to not fuck with combat ships? It was kind of dumb when they interdicted my armed to the teeth Fer-De-Lance with an shieldless Sidewinder and tell me to drop my cargo (when I don't even have cargo racks).

Pretty sure they've greatly improved logic for attacking ships that don't have any or have very little/low value cargo.

If you have valuable cargo though--yuuuup, best get good at avoiding interdictions. They can be fun if you have a fighter, though.

Pretty sure they've greatly improved logic for attacking ships that don't have any or have very little/low value cargo.

If you have valuable cargo though--yuuuup, best get good at avoiding interdictions. They can be fun if you have a fighter, though.

Yeah, I'd doing the CG right now delivering semiconductors and they just won't leave me alone. I just submit and boost/jump. I might get some mines just to blow them up!

I really really suck at this game

DFNifYlVwAEiUWJ.jpg

simple task check the message that I just got for the mission? Nope I don't even know which button combo to press to get to that menu wtf

edit: got to the message but I am on the wrong map I need one successful scan

Cmerrill

Woah, I thinking landing has made me quit this game already. What a fucking chore, needlessly difficult, and immersion breaking.

Hylian7

Haha, here we go again.

Get a docking computer. Don't let anyone talk you out of doing so. :)

lol yup get a docking computer asap

1151.jpg

In trying to help you learn to dock though, use the little blue dot to the left of your radar, that should give you a vague idea where your assigned landing pad is. From there you just land facing the buildings on the landing pad (every single one has them), and toward the back of the station. Line yourself up front and back first, then use only the lateral and vertical thrust to get yourself lined up the rest of the way. It seems daunting at first, but keep practicing. You'll get down to this eventually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-2lQEgU144
charm_smile.gif

Cmerrill

Lmao, I'm guessing I'm not the first to complain about it.

Docking computer it is, when I get that far..

Hylian7

On a random note, I had never played Elite I-III, but it's amazing to me how far technology has come. This was the thargoid ship in Frontier: First Encounters (aka Elite III).

latest

And of course here's what it looks in Elite: Dangerous (aka Elite IV)

latest

glaurung

Woah, I thinking landing has made me quit this game already. What a fucking chore, needlessly difficult, and immersion breaking.
WTF, landing is so easy in this game. It might get harder when you get massive ships, but landing the beginning ships is a piece of cake. Plus you hover in the vacuum, with complete control in every direction, not like a flying sim.

Hylian7

WTF, landing is so easy in this game. It might get harder when you get massive ships, but landing the beginning ships is a piece of cake. Plus you hover in the vacuum, with complete control in every direction, not like a flying sim.

Now it is, but you probably remember your first couple of attempts being...less than successful. I got it fairly quickly, but the first few times were a few minutes of adjusting and frustration, but I eventually figured it out.

lordxar

Yea just learn to land. Fuck the computer... I crashed into all kinds of shit at first but when you get accustomed to the landing chevrons that indicate the direction to point your ship and get your landing controls set it's easy. The damn boost button was my biggest issue. Hold circle + button for landing gear ended up long tap boost half the time (ps4). Led to some tense...oh shit o shit moments lol.

glaurung

I've been flying semiconductors and lithium to Abroin to do my first community goal thingie. With the new stellar scanner, I make a cool 400k every trip just by selling the cartography data.

On a random note, I had never played Elite I-III, but it's amazing to me how far technology has come. This was the thargoid ship in Frontier: First Encounters (aka Elite III).

latest

And of course here's what it looks in Elite: Dangerous (aka Elite IV)

latest

You think that's basic? I still remember my father playing Elite 1 on the Spectrum.

910-elite1.gif

BBC_Micro_Elite_screenshot.png

Ol' Speccy didn't have enough power to erase the stars behind objects. Other devs would go on to make games with full painted polygons, which often lead to a perfectly syncronized framerate: one second, one frame. :D

Damn, I was going to try that scanning mission for 201M. It actually seemed fun, though I suspect the fun turns to grind about halfway through.
10M though is just fucking ridiculous. I can get that in a single legit tourist mission that takes <1 hour to complete (and it'd take about 10minutes of the quince exploit they still haven't fixed).

I'm still refusing a docking computer on my Anaconda. I think I managed to get through the slot without scraping the shields once.
The biggest problem is that if you totally fuck up, you're fucked. The thing is so big that it can get stuck or glitched very easily. I had to quit back to the menu once because no available control input could make the ship right itself after wedging itself into some scenery next to a docking bay.

I switched to an Asp to haul some rare tea for some engineer arsehole and I'm landing spot on (almost) every time now.

The worst part about Anacondas is planetary landings. Boosting towards the ground is dangerous. FA-on doesn't always do the right thing since it is too busy correcting sideways drift to notice that it should be devoting rather a lot more thrust to counteract gravity.

darkwing

hilarious, I just saw an Anaconda stuck on the entrance of the station, it was trying to wiggle itself in but the station was not having any of that and started shooting

Synth

Damn, I was going to try that scanning mission for 201M. It actually seemed fun, though I suspect the fun turns to grind about halfway through.
10M though is just fucking ridiculous. I can get that in a single legit tourist mission that takes <1 hour to complete (and it'd take about 10minutes of the quince exploit they still haven't fixed).

It'd actually be 111m in total, as each of the 101 scans are worth 1m. The previous bonus was was 100m which stacked on top of the 101m you'd get from scanning.

Megasoum

Banned
hilarious, I just saw an Anaconda stuck on the entrance of the station, it was trying to wiggle itself in but the station was not having any of that and started shooting

Happened to me last night in my Type-7. Was coming out of the station normally and a fucking AI Type-9 that was behind me decided to accelerate to try to squeeze in over my head in the door...

Pro tip, you can't fit a Type-9 on top of a Type-7 in the mail slot Haha.

I was legit stuck there, couldn't move.

Ended up getting fined for loitering and someone shot me (dunno if it was the station or the Type-9) and I got unstuck shortly after with all my shields down and some hull damage lol.

I had the slot-loitering warning counting down like ED-209, while my shield damage was also triggering the "You are in danger. and must wait 15 seconds to quit" message.
Luckily I got out before things got too shooty.

Glad the Ancient Artifact mission still seems to pay out 1M per scan. I was wondering if that had also been nerfed by a factor of 10 like the completion bonus.

Maybe I'll give it a go soon.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You think that's basic? I still remember my father playing Elite 1 on the Spectrum.

910-elite1.gif

BBC_Micro_Elite_screenshot.png

Ol' Speccy didn't have enough power to erase the stars behind objects. Other devs would go on to make games with full painted polygons, which often lead to a perfectly syncronized framerate: one second, one frame. :D

Your "father"? Oh god, I'm so old...

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody has experience fixing the constant squeaking noise that the Thrustmaster HOTAS X (or the HOTAS 4, it's PS4 cousin) stick makes?

I imagine I need some kind of silicon lubricant but even then I'm not sure where to put it exactly.

As far as I am concerned even if you ignore every other engineer in the game getting a FSD boost is absolutely worth it, even the lower levels which are easy to get materials for.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody has experience fixing the constant squeaking noise that the Thrustmaster HOTAS X (or the HOTAS 4, it's PS4 cousin) stick makes?

I imagine I need some kind of silicon lubricant but even then I'm not sure where to put it exactly.

The squeaking bothered me the most. It was completely functional. However, when I realized I was going to put a lot more time into ED, I upgraded.

Megasoum

Banned
The squeaking bothered me the most. It was completely functional. However, when I realized I was going to put a lot more time into ED, I upgraded.

Yeah but I'm stuck on PS4 cause that's where my friend is playing so I'm limited on options. And yeah it works great otherwise, just noisy.

How exactly do you get materials anyway? I know a got a bunch already but I have no idea how I got them.

Also... Yay first thread on the FD forums... https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ia-the-Navigation-Panel?p=5754267#post5754267

Some materials you get as mission rewards, some you can pick up on planet surfaces with the SRV, some you get from destroyed ships or USS.

As for your thread, that's been brought up a few times now and they've said due to the way the route plotter works it cannot be done from the cockpit without the galaxy map loaded because the data for it doesn't exist before the map is opened. The only way it could be done was if that data was loaded in the background all the time and that's too resource intensive. There is a reason the Galaxy and System maps are fullscreen even though other parts of the UI appear in the cockpit.

Megasoum

Banned
Some materials you get as mission rewards, some you can pick up on planet surfaces with the SRV, some you get from destroyed ships or USS.

As for your thread, that's been brought up a few times now and they've said due to the way the route plotter works it cannot be done from the cockpit without the galaxy map loaded because the data for it doesn't exist before the map is opened. The only way it could be done was if that data was loaded in the background all the time and that's too resource intensive. There is a reason the Galaxy and System maps are fullscreen even though other parts of the UI appear in the cockpit.

Yeah that makes sense and I expected something like that but shit this is so annoying on ps4.

Switch to FA off for landing. THAT is how new players feel about it for the first few times.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Switch to FA off for landing. THAT is how new players feel about it for the first few times.

I actually prefer docking with FA off honestly, it makes things like synchronising rotation with the mail slot easier. Plus it reminds me of doing docking maneuvers with the Deltaglider in Orbiter.

Only when I'm in a real hurry do I keep FA on.

Honestly I'd recommend learning to dock with FA off to begin with, once you've done that a few times docking with it on is a piece of piss.

I actually prefer docking with FA off honestly, it makes things like synchronising rotation with the mail slot easier. Plus it reminds me of doing docking maneuvers with the Deltaglider in Orbiter.

Only when I'm in a real hurry do I keep FA on.

Honestly I'd recommend learning to dock with FA off to begin with, once you've done that a few times docking with it on is a piece of piss.
I'm using FA off all the time, so I know where you are coming from :) Only the beluga sucks to land with most of the time :(

Wanted to get the 10 units of Painite today. God damn is mining still awful. Got 5% of Painite out of 50 limpets YAY. I'm not quite sure if I should try again another time or leave it alone entirely.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Painite is rare stuff. Luckily when you do find it it's payday.

Just got interdicted in my Dolphin; didn't even realise I was carrying any cargo. The pirate, Mostly Harmless in an Imperial Eagle, demanded I drop 1 whole ton of modular terminals (galactic average value: 685cr). So I did, then blew him up with my beam laser & multicannon.

Really, pirates these days.

Top Bottom