• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

bee

matchmaking delay has gone from 40-50secs to find a game to 1min30+ on a double xp weekend, yeah that's how bad your patch is

Fugu

The patch is bad? That's a disappointment. I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet.

EDIT: Wow. That's all I have to say about this patch. By far the worst state the game has been in since I've started playing.

The only real issue I have with the patch is that it killed my frames by quite a bit. Other than that I haven't had any other issues.

Fugu

The only real issue I have with the patch is that it killed my frames by quite a bit. Other than that I haven't had any other issues.
My first game was five minutes of unstable gameplay followed by an unceremonious boot to the desktop.

MissChief

just bought quake champions from Humble Bundle Monthly (the one with only 2 champions). The game looks and plays great! Really missed quake. It's the first time I played a game with keyboard and mouse in ages. I had to change my keyboard layout from wasd to arrows because my nails are too long, lol.

But how exactly do you earn shards? The description says something that you must "break weapons"..

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
just bought quake champions from Humble Bundle Monthly (the one with only 2 champions). The game looks and plays great! Really missed quake. It's the first time I played a game with keyboard and mouse in ages. I had to change my keyboard layout from wasd to arrows because my nails are too long, lol.

But how exactly do you earn shards? The description says something that you must "break weapons"..

Glad you like it. A lot of newcomers seem to be shying away from this title. I myself haven't played since the newest patch.

Shards are earned in 3 ways.

1 - When you look in your customization options for each character in your armors, you should see an option to sell. Selling armor gives you shards.

2 - When you get a duplicate armor or color pattern out of a loot box, you will earn a new attachment (i.e. bells and whistles) for that particular armor. However, when you already have all the bells and whistles for that armor and still get a duplicate, the game will automatically give you shards to compensate.

3 - Some rune challenges give shards as a reward.

Game just dont seem right since the patch. Performance isn't an issue, but I still cant see other players pings (only mine, others shows as 0), and at match start for at least 30 seconds the game seems to have extreme lag, damage dealt to players take about a second to register, before it settles down, but still seems more than normal, to the point of no longer being competitive in the match (I still deselect any server that isn't "green" ping).

The new Doom Slayer intro is great though.

I'm building a new PC and this game comes free with one of the parts I bought. Is there a video or something that I can watch to get the basics and any need-to-know information? I know basically nothing about this game other than the genre (which I'm interested in).

Fugu

I'm building a new PC and this game comes free with one of the parts I bought. Is there a video or something that I can watch to get the basics and any need-to-know information? I know basically nothing about this game other than the genre (which I'm interested in).
I honestly don't think there are really any great resources for learning how to play Quake other than the game itself. Quake Live had a good tutorial that went over strafe jumping and stuff but I'm not sure if Quake Champions has the equivalent.

Here's what I think you need to know if you have played other FPSes but not Quake:
- Items are important. Like, really, really important. You need to keep track of when they're going to appear and then go get them. If you are losing a lot of 1v1s, it's probably because other people have a better stack (aka more items) than you. Particularly in TDM, showing up for items is at least half the battle.
- You need to be able to switch between the different guns easily. I have actually posted my control scheme in this thread on the previous page to give you an example of what is probably the most common layout. You can't expect to use the scroll wheel to switch guns.
- Learn how to strafe jump. Strafe jumping is the primary mechanism of movement in everything except duel; it allows you to move a lot faster than you normally would be able to. There are many videos on how to strafe jump in Quake 3: Arena and they work just fine for Quake Champions.
- Quake is a very aim-intensive game and if you're used to games where most of the guns are hitscans you're going to have some trouble at first. One thing I would point out in this regard is that players who come from other games almost invariably have their sensitivity too high.

I honestly don't think there are really any great resources for learning how to play Quake other than the game itself. Quake Live had a good tutorial that went over strafe jumping and stuff but I'm not sure if Quake Champions has the equivalent.

Here's what I think you need to know if you have played other FPSes but not Quake:
- Items are important. Like, really, really important. You need to keep track of when they're going to appear and then go get them. If you are losing a lot of 1v1s, it's probably because other people have a better stack (aka more items) than you. Particularly in TDM, showing up for items is at least half the battle.
- You need to be able to switch between the different guns easily. I have actually posted my control scheme in this thread on the previous page to give you an example of what is probably the most common layout. You can't expect to use the scroll wheel to switch guns.
- Learn how to strafe jump. Strafe jumping is the primary mechanism of movement in everything except duel; it allows you to move a lot faster than you normally would be able to. There are many videos on how to strafe jump in Quake 3: Arena and they work just fine for Quake Champions.
- Quake is a very aim-intensive game and if you're used to games where most of the guns are hitscans you're going to have some trouble at first. One thing I would point out in this regard is that players who come from other games almost invariably have their sensitivity too high.

Oh, so I've actually played a decent amount of Quake Live, I just got the sense this game was mainly just Quake in name from the CG debut trailer. Is this basically just Quake but with separate abilities for each hero you can select from?

Fugu

Oh, so I've actually played a decent amount of Quake Live, I just got the sense this game was mainly just Quake in name from the CG debut trailer. Is this basically just Quake but with separate abilities for each hero you can select from?
More or less, yes. The abilities are of relatively low importance; what matters more is that hero selection determines the size of your hitbox, your movement speed, and how stacked you can get.

MissChief

That would explain a lot for me. My mouse sensitivity is set to 20 ... I'll try lowering it tonight :)

Fugu

That would explain a lot for me. My mouse sensitivity is set to 20 ... I'll try lowering it tonight :)
You want it to be as low as you can possibly get it while still being able to move comfortably. I can just barely do a 360 on my mousepad and my sensitivity is about average for (high level) Quake.

I think Doom Slayer Guy is going to be my main now. He’s just a lot of fun to play now that they fixed his Berserk. Sorry Slash, it’s time we break up.

MissChief

You want it to be as low as you can possibly get it while still being able to move comfortably. I can just barely do a 360 on my mousepad and my sensitivity is about average for (high level) Quake.

Lowered my sensitivity to 12 and I have to say, it took some minutes to adjust, but my F/D ratio improved significantly. somewhere from 0.4 to about 0.7 Still a long road ahead, but slowly getting better :)

And picked up my first 3 lore scrolls yesterday :)

Damn, Galena is really good too. Those heals are so helpful, putting totems on the other side of portals and there is nothing the enemy can do about it. On Lockbox it’s hilarious. I wish she had a better passive though. Channeling is alright, but I wish it was more of movement based ability.

Fugu

I think Galena is garbage on every map except Lockbox, and she's so good on Lockbox that it needs to be addressed. That map has some very poor design. I recommended a few changes in the survey:

- Rocket launcher spawn moves to tri-bolt spawn
- Quad spawn moves to (old) rocket launcher spawn
- RA spawn moves to (old) quad spawn

As it is right now you can camp the top of the map and win pretty effortlessly. The teleporter is the only way to access quad/RA without heavy exposure to rails (and, of course, with the rail gun being positioned where it is you can't actually return any rail fire) and the teleporter is easily camped. The only "balancing factor" is that every time a guy picks up RA there's a pretty good chance he'll be telefragged, but that's a really, really stupid way to balance a map.

If you're lucky enough to not be playing against double Galena or some horrible Sorlag monstrosity, it's possible to do well controlling the MH/LG area, but you need a rail to do that and that brings you back into the first problem.

Am I just one of those people who hasn't had any performance issues? Outside of the game crashing at least once every five or so hours, I haven't had any problems with my GTX 970 and i5 6600K. I average around 130FPS, so the game is running smoothly at all times.

Is the new patch causing issues for specific configurations? My friends have discussed things like microstutter and rubber banding, but it's all news to me.

I should stress, I'm not discrediting anyone with issues. I'm just curious how pronounced they are right now.

I'm having performance issues, but they aren't game breaking for me. For me the game is perfectly playable.

Crashing: After I turned off the in game option for Razer Chroma, I haven't experienced a crash.

FPS: This is the big one for me. Pre patch I was getting +120 fps on every map. Now it's around 70-90 fps. It's just slightly annoying for me because I have a 144hz monitor, so getting +120 frames is beneficial for me. I don't get microstutter and rubber banding.

My PC isn't that powerful anymore. It still gets the job done, however the CPU is starting to show its age.

I7-960
GTX 980
32GB RAM

This matchmaking, lol. This is why you don't retain players.

0A105B828AAB947D6B814F740FF1999A2BDB1227

Then my next game was this. This game is a roller coaster.

Was gonna pick up the Humble as I really want to play, but only 2 characters? Yikes.

Ranger is easily the most well-rounded and consistent Champion in the game. He's a no-frills, pick-up-and-play character who's still fun and interesting to use with thanks to his ability to warp around the map and telefrag in fights. I own the Champion Pack and still regularly play him.

BJ, on the other hand, is a bit weirder, but his ability to dual wield (it's actually a 150% fire rate boost that's communicated to the player as guns akimbo) any two weapons in the game is a fun power-up that helps you win clutch battles, assuming it's up when you get into a fight. That CD is long. His passive is also useful for surviving small scraps, letting you recover a full pip of health where other heroes could potentially limp out of a fight with 10HP.

Ranger is easily the most well-rounded and consistent Champion in the game. He's a no-frills, pick-up-and-play character who's still fun and interesting to use with thanks to his ability to warp around the map and telefrag in fights. I own the Champion Pack and still regularly play him.

BJ, on the other hand, is a bit weirder, but his ability to dual wield (it's actually a 150% fire rate boost that's communicated to the player as guns akimbo) any two weapons in the game is a fun power-up that helps you win clutch battles, assuming it's up when you get into a fight. That CD is long. His passive is also useful for surviving small scraps, letting you recover a full pip of health where other heroes could potentially limp out of a fight with 10HP.

Yeah, Ranger can be a lot of fun. You can pull off some nice plays with his Dire Orb and his passive isn't that bad. BJ on the other hand is just boring. Dual wielding with some regen. I like BJ has a character, but his abilities are rather bland.

Fugu

Turned my FOV down to 120 and its amazing how much easier it is to hit things lol
I play with a very high FoV (130 in Quake 3, which I believe is currently impossible to achieve in QC) but I think it's important people recognize that FoV sliders are a tradeoff between aim and visibility. It is indisputably more difficult to aim at higher FoVs.

MissChief

I play with a very high FoV (130 in Quake 3, which I believe is currently impossible to achieve in QC) but I think it's important people recognize that FoV sliders are a tradeoff between aim and visibility. It is indisputably more difficult to aim at higher FoVs.

So I presume your view is more zoomed in (and enemies appear bigger) with lower FoV?
In that case, what do the top players prefer, visibility or aim ?

Fugu

So I presume your view is more zoomed in (and enemies appear bigger) with lower FoV?
In that case, what do the top players prefer, visibility or aim ?
On lower FoVs, player models are larger and therefore easier to hit.

For duel in particular the trend has definitely been towards FoVs in the 90-115 range, with numbers above that rather rare. I am pretty sure that QC does not use the same method to calculate FoV as Q3, however, because 130 on QC does not feel like 130 on QL.

Blu(e)

Yeah I don't know what they can do with tri-bolt. It just feels bad. I've even gotten a nail god medal and I don't ever see me doing that with the tri-bolt.

I loathe Anarki. He feels like such a pain in the ass to hit.

He's even more annoying post patch.

Yeah I don't know what they can do with tri-bolt. It just feels bad. I've even gotten a nail god medal and I don't ever see me doing that with the tri-bolt.

Yeah, the Tri-bolt is still garbage. I can count on one hand how many times I've been killed by it. I have +2.5k kills and 30 are with it.

Fugu

Anarki is in a very odd place. He might be the best character in the game despite his largely useless ability because his movement is so strange. I don't really know how to explain how it works, but its practical effects are pretty obvious: If you're fighting Anarki in the standard "both players are committed to the fight" situation where you and him are dodging on parallel axes, you're not going to win with the LG because your accuracy simply will not be as good as his barring some large health lead; standard ADAD spam approaches to dodging work a whole lot better on Anarki than they do on other characters (or in QL in general) so your accuracy is simply going to be lower.

The solution is to do the LG-RL bait and switch since he's no better against rockets than any other character, but that's not a real solution. At the ideal LG range you're still probably dead unless your ability can save you or you have a stack advantage.

Fortunately, most people who play as Anarki suck shit at this game and just pick him because he's the best character to abuse the "working as intended" gauntlet.

MissChief

Do duels have lore scrolls ? I think I broke all the pots in the match yesterday, but hadn't found a scroll, didn't see lore found in top right corner either.

On lower FoVs, player models are larger and therefore easier to hit.

For duel in particular the trend has definitely been towards FoVs in the 90-115 range, with numbers above that rather rare. I am pretty sure that QC does not use the same method to calculate FoV as Q3, however, because 130 on QC does not feel like 130 on QL.

I can only go as low as 100 in the settings, or do you have to edit an ini file or something like that ?

mojojoeo

Does it feel like this will have more legs than say battleborn or lawbreakers after being in the beta(s)?

I am not speaking o the quality of the game- this market is crowded and tough.

Sub_Level

Do duels have lore scrolls ? I think I broke all the pots in the match yesterday, but hadn't found a scroll, didn't see lore found in top right corner either.

Nope.

Does it feel like this will have more legs than say battleborn or lawbreakers after being in the beta(s)?

Yes but it is still extremely niche.

At the very least the game will be supported throughout the entirety of next year. At least 6 new characters. 2019 and beyond tho, who knows.

Fugu

I can only go as low as 100 in the settings, or do you have to edit an ini file or something like that ?
Sorry, I am trapped in the QL world, where fov is calculated based on a 4:3, not a 16:9, display.

An FoV of 90 in QL (which would be pretty low for Quake) corresponds to a value of 106.26 in QC. You can't go nearly as high in QC as you can in QL; QL caps out at 130 whereas on comparable terms QC caps out around 120.

The takeaway from this is that I wouldn't use the lower end of QC's FoV slider. Indeed, I have the FoV as high as it will go.

EDIT: Important caveat: I have a 4:3 monitor.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I played my first match yesterday. I think I did okayish given it was also my first game of Quake in around 11 years. Both AU servers are at the opposite end of the country, so my ping sits at ~65ms, which isn't bad but is high enough that there's a slightly perceptible delay. I'm sure I'll grow accustomed to it in due time, though, as I did donkey's years ago when I played Q3 online with a dial-up connection.

As someone who played a lot of Quake 3 and TA back in the day, will I find this game worth the 30? Im thinking about getting it, Watching videos it seems to be mechanically similar to the Q3 days, those were good days. But I was a 15 /16 year old buck, I'm 31 now, I fear those twitch shooting skills are long gone.

Sub_Level

As someone who played a lot of Quake 3 and TA back in the day, will I find this game worth the 30? Im thinking about getting it, Watching videos it seems to be mechanically similar to the Q3 days, those were good days. But I was a 15 /16 year old buck, I'm 31 now, I fear those twitch shooting skills are long gone.

They probably are gone.

Wait for the F2P version I'd say. It was in a humble bundle recently too I believe.

I'm 29 and I still enjoy this game immensely. Sure I'm not as good as I used to be, but I still have fun and put up decent scores.

Honestly, I'd wait for the F2P. The game is great, but it still needs some tweaking.

Top Bottom