• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
So ideally if I pay it off every month (which I do with other cards) it's win/win? It seems like a good idea but I've never signed up for a "3rd party" card like this so I'm very slightly sketched out.

Yup! I do the same thing with my PayPal rewards card. I haven't paid a nickel in interest and gotten $100 cash back deposited into my checking. As long as you can pay the balance every month, rewards cards are fantastic.

sangreal

Do we get a nifty new metal card if we've been upgraded?

yes

Your card design
You will receive a new card with a new look in 2017. Until then, you can keep using your current card. All the new benefits apply to your account now regardless of when you receive your new card.

Remember, you'll receive a new card with an updated look in 2017 - look out for a plain, white envelope in the mail.

Ashhong

It appears to be the case. Those of us on the grandfathered accounts don't get anywhere near the perks :(

Whats the difference with the grandfathered accounts?

I just contacted the main Prime owner to add my account as a "household member" account. I see no reason to stay on the one that we have. The household member is at no additional charge and you get more benefits

Zoe

I just contacted the main Prime owner to add my account as a "household member" account. I see no reason to stay on the one that we have. The household member is at no additional charge and you get more benefits

You don't have to actually be in the same household. Limited number of accounts too for Household:

Amazon Household can contain up to six members:

Two adults, each with their own Amazon account.
Up to four child profiles (children aren't enabled to shop on Amazon through their child profiles).

We can't do it yet because we have a friend on the account, but I'm this close (-><-) to kicking him off.

Originally, Amazon let you add up to 3 other users to share Prime benefits. I believe around the time they added the Prime Video service, they reduced sharing to just 1 other user. Existing Prime members who were sharing with 3 others could keep doing so, but the sub users wouldn't get access to Prime Video (and eventually other perks like Prime music and this Prime credit card). They did have a choice of converting to the 2 user account so that both users received all the perks or they could stick with the "grandfathered" 4 user setup where only the main holder got the bonuses.

Ashhong

You don't have to actually be in the same household. Limited number of accounts too for Household:

We can't do it yet because we have a friend on the account, but I'm this close (-><-) to kicking him off.

Kick him off! Can't you add him as a child?

Originally, Amazon let you add up to 3 other users to share Prime benefits. I believe around the time they added the Prime Video service, they reduced sharing to just 1 other user. Existing Prime members who were sharing with 3 others could keep doing so, but the sub users wouldn't get access to Prime Video (and eventually other perks like Prime music and this Prime credit card). They did have a choice of converting to the 2 user account so that both users received all the perks or they could stick with the "grandfathered" 4 user setup where only the main holder got the bonuses.

So what about those child accounts? Right now I think we are on the old plan with 2 or 3 people sharing the shipping benefits. Can I make my account a second adult to share all of the benefits, and then the other person as a kid to share the shipping only?

Zoe

Kick him off! Can't you add him as a child?

So what about those child accounts? Right now I think we are on the old plan with 2 or 3 people sharing the shipping benefits. Can I make my account a second adult to share all of the benefits, and then the other person as a kid to share the shipping only?

Says right there that the child can't shop. I imagine it's mostly for the supplemental services like Prime Video.

Ashhong

Says right there that the child can't shop. I imagine it's mostly for the supplemental services like Prime Video.

oh, oops

ah shit, i need to stop him from changing the account then! the other person will be very upset hahaha

I'm tempted, but most my purchases on Amazon are very minor, they don't even come close to the best deals on most tech stuff, which is where my money usually goes.

Best Buy for games.

Employee Purchase Programs, or Ebay storefronts for TV or monitor deals.

PC parts and such vary widely, but I've never seen Amazon have the best deal for anything.

Then they're based in Washington where I live, so I pay taxes.

What's the second best choice for a CC for a college student, with very little income? I have high credit scores due to student loans. I don't spend a lot outside of a few bigger ticket items here and there so a large yearly fee probably isn't a great idea for me. I just feel like I'm leaving money on the table.

Massicot

I'm tempted, but most my purchases on Amazon are very minor, they don't even come close to the best deals on most tech stuff, which is where my money usually goes.

Best Buy for games.

PC parts and such vary widely, but I've never seen Amazon have the best deal for anything.

What's the second best choice for a CC for a college student, with very little income? I have high credit scores due to student loans. I don't spend a lot outside of a few bigger ticket items here and there so a large yearly fee probably isn't a great idea for me. I just feel like I'm leaving money on the table.

Citi DoubleCash is a great general card.

NoRéN

Had to verify my card number on the amazon manage payment methods page and I'm good to go.

Check there if your card doesn't show the 5% cash back yet.

ColdPizza

Banned

Best Buy for games.

Probably chase freedom unlimited. 1.5% cash back on all purchases.

icespide

Banned
NoRéN;228104301 said:
Had to verify my card number on the amazon manage payment methods page and I'm good to go.

Check there if your card doesn't show the 5% cash back yet.

thanks for this, it worked

Jenov

I literally applied for the Amazon-Only Synchrony card a week ago due to it offering 5% and was going to stop using my Chase one. Now I don't have to, AND I have a free $50 giftcard. Things worked out! (My card was upgraded, it's showing on Amazon but not on Chase's website yet)

Hah, I did the same exact thing and got the gift. Nice, Chase! Guess I won't be swapping to the Amazon Store card, I'll keep my regular Chase Amazon Visa as my main.

On Amazon it says my card is at 5% now, but on Chase's website it hasn't updated. I assume it will update eventually to reflect it.

faisal233

Hah, I did the same exact thing and got the gift. Nice, Chase! Guess I won't be swapping to the Amazon Store card, I'll keep my regular Chase Amazon Visa as my main.

On Amazon it says my card is at 5% now, but on Chase's website it hasn't updated. I assume it will update eventually to reflect it.

Any reason to get this card if you already have the amazon store card?

Jenov

Be careful with Amazon Household. They have a 6 month forced waiting period between adding adults to the account.

Jenov

Any reason to get this card if you already have the amazon store card?

The Chase card has additional perks that the Amazon Store Card does not:

5% Back at Amazon
2% Back on gas stations, restaurants and drugstores
1% Back on all other purchases

If you already have another card that covers those, then I suppose there is not much reason to get the card.

Zoe

Be careful with Amazon Household. They have a 6 month forced waiting period between adding adults to the account.

What, do you mean like rotating people? We don't plan on gaming the system--it will just be the two of us.

dLMN8R

Really the only reason to use the Amazon Store Card now is to have the 5% automatically applied to your balance, instead of needing to manually redeem points from the web site.

I think I'll be cancelling the Amazon Store Card now. One less account to have to worry about.

Jenov

What, do you mean like rotating people? We don't plan on gaming the system--it will just be the two of us.

Yes, when you put someone on it blocks you out for 6 months from changing/adding adults again. I'm not sure when you added your friend though.

Chase page still shows 3% back, Amazon.com shows 5% back on my card.

you spent $10,000 at Amazon in a year and a half?

I use my card on everything, and up until Christmas/vacation at the end of last year paid everything off by the end of the month. It's not hard to earn $300 when you're using it for groceries, gas, restaurants, etc.

Zoe

Yes, when you put someone on it blocks you out for 6 months from changing/adding adults again. I'm not sure when you added your friend though.

The friend has never been part of a Household. We're all on the grandfathered plan that allows multiple unrelated adults.

I just need to confirm my Prime membership and I should be good to go with 5% back.

To me, the big thing is that no annual fee AND no foreign transaction fee. That could spell the end for my Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

Kaladin

FYI: YMMV on Switch pre-orders through Prime. Amazon doesn't always get a lot of Nintendo products and when they do have them, the systems are always third party sellers.

LProtag

I got the message about my card being upgraded today. This is pretty great.

Edit: Hm, it hasn't updated on Amazon and still says 3%. I wonder if this is because I'm on my roommate's Prime account? I thought it said that counted.

Hey guys I have a stupid question.

I have both the Amazon card and a regular Chase card. I've had the regular Chase card since 07 and have never missed a payment in full, but it seems pretty redundant if I have the Amazon card.

Is there a way to transfer my good standing over to the Amazon card and delete the old Chase card since they're both from the same bank?

LProtag

Damn, I'm on the grandfathered household thing, so I don't get the 5%.

I don't know if getting my own Prime is worth it though.

sangreal

Hey guys I have a stupid question.

I have both the Amazon card and a regular Chase card. I've had the regular Chase card since 07 and have never missed a payment in full, but it seems pretty redundant if I have the Amazon card.

Is there a way to transfer my good standing over to the Amazon card and delete the old Chase card since they're both from the same bank?

By regular chase card you mean a freedom or something? I don't think you can product change to a branded card but you should be able to change to a freedom unlimited or one of Chases other good UR cards. Freedom is a good card too if you limit it to the rotating categories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom