• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty (Black Ops 2) World Reveal - May 1st

paischtu

Neo Member
It's always the same

MW1 came out - IW IS GOD OMG

WaW came out - Treyarch sucks ZOMFG

MW2 came out - IW SUCKS NOA TREYARCH FTW

Blops came out - OMFG LOLZ IW FTW!!!11 MW3 WILL PWNZ

MW3 came out - YE W/E TREYARCH WILL PWN WITH BLOPS2

So disgusting!

T-0800

Any chance Treyarch have learnt how to write code for the PS3 yet? The framerate of BO on PS3 was emabarrasing.

Feature

Banned
Half life 2
HL2 Episode 1
HL2 Episode 2
Counter Strike Source
Team Fortress 2
Portal
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
DOTA 2.

Ten Games using the same god damn engine!

Actually isn't source also based of the Quake 3 engine?

Clearly Quake 3 Engine = success.

But those valve games are almost all different from eachother. COD is just the same old shit.

Boerseun

Banned
As far as i know CoD4 was the last game that got a GOTY edition

call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-game-of-the-year-dansk-udgave_64012.jpg

Okay, thanks, I didn't realise that.

A deluxe edition for Wii U with all the DLC would be a good idea, though.

It's not the engine you should be concerned with it's the damn netcode......it fucking SUCKS....

PS:MP level designs suck too...

lol Where is this all coming from?

But those valve games are almost all different from eachother. COD is just the same old shit.

Speaking of the main series on PC and console, I've bought every Call of Duty outside of the first two, and with those I played other people's copies.

The single-player does use a formula and, in my opinion, have actually become worse with every subsequent entry. But even so, it's the multiplayer where this series shines. And once you've put in some time with the series you start to appreciate the subtle differences between the different entries. If not for those differences, everyone would automatically abandon the previous entry and move en masse to the newest one. But you'll see that doesn't happen.

We CoD veterans are excited for Black Ops 2 for good reason. Black Ops 1 is simply the most fun to play, has the best upgrade tree, the best perks, the best maps, and the best netcode (note - I havn't played the Ps3 version). And if you own it on Wii, it also has the best controls. (Modern Warfare 1 & 3 Wii both feel twitchy and WaW just doesn't allow a wide enough range of setting changes.)

As an aside, Call of Duty kicks ass on DS. I can't wait for the first entry on 3DS. Hopefully that'll come out alongside Black Ops 2.

Liamario

Banned
I'm not criticising the series (there's already enough people for that), but has the hype fallen for COD. I remember when MW2 was announced and the hype was huge. Since then, it's all been a bit meh and I can't be the only one.

I'm sure the game will be as good as the other ones, but I think they've fallen into the trap of overhyping things and then when you combine that with yearly releases- people start to get bored very quickly.

The point I'm making, is that this is how I feel about this series. It has gotten very stale for me very fast.

I understand the staleness if you have played all the MW titles, but I have been playing BLOPS since release and still enjoy it. Before BLOPS I played Bad Company, I wouldn't want to start playing a new multiplayer FPS every year, it would be exhausting.

So quit complaining and only buy them every two years, also at least Activision don't release a unlock everything dlc pack that EA do with the Battefield series.

I hope that next gen, there will be reveals of reveals of reveals.

Yeah, this announcement of the announcement came right out of the blue, I wasn't prepared for it at all. Would it have really been so much to ask that they could have saved announcing the announcement until four million people liked an announcement announcement page on Facebook?

Marketing fail.

I hope this game starts to mark a decline in the franchise.

Don't buy it if it bothers you so much, clearly millions of people do like the series. Too many people expect the next game to be like Journey or Amnesia, I treat Black Ops like my go to multiplayer game when I need relief from single player games like Skyrim or Uncharted, it is my filler game for when I complete my latest game until the next one I buy and for those reasons it is an excellent game.

It actually does the industry good to have games like this available, someone else had said it provides a jumping in point for non gamers.

It actually does the industry good to have games like this available
but at the same that we've seen a lot of "Call of Duty"-zation the past couple of years.

"aim for CoD sales"
"aim for CoD popularity
"aim for CoD-like multiplayer"
"aim for CoD like DLCs"

of course, CoD itself is not to blame here rather the industry itself.

but at the same that we've seen a lot of "Call of Duty"-zation the past couple of years.

"aim for CoD sales"
"aim for CoD popularity
"aim for CoD-like multiplayer"
"aim for CoD like DLCs"

of course, CoD itself is not to blame here rather the industry itself.

Yeah, I think that is just because of how successful the series is, aiming for COD popularity, sales are very ambitious aims because COD has like it or not set the bar in these areas.

As for COD like multiplayer, I think it means create a multiplayer that is balanced and as fun as COD, a lot of games come out and have multiplayer which is often unbalanced and broken, and end up having a weak online community.

I must admit that I don't like the idea of COD like dlc, their map backs are severely over priced.

itsgreen

It's always the same

So disgusting!

Well for me personally I started as an admirer of IW's work with MW1 and was very skeptical about Treyarch and WaW before it came out. But it is perhaps the most memorable CoD I have played the last years. Blops had a solid performance and fixed a lot of things I thought were broken with MW2. MW3 basically ignored these things and went back to the MW2 way of doing things. In particular I think auto-scoping and the whole sniper thing is ridiculous in MW2 and 3. It is the main reason why I now think Treyarch is the lead... they're doing great things.

It's always the same

So disgusting!

Not speaking for everyone, but I enjoyed WaW as much as MW.

Angry Fork

Does dedicated servers mean that when I'm playing a game none of the players are the host, so the match won't end or migrate hosts, if the host quits.

Yes, it also means dramatically less lag because the room no longer uses P2P connection bullshit. It's criminal that COD doesn't have Dedi's yet on PC or consoles, but games that sell much less particularly PS3 exclusives have dedicated servers.

Yes, it also means dramatically less lag because the room no longer uses P2P connection bullshit. It's criminal that COD doesn't have Dedi's yet on PC or consoles, but games that sell much less particularly PS3 exclusives have dedicated servers.

It's ironic considering the COD games on PC up to 4 had proper dedicated server support and server browsers.

MW3 was the first one I skipped since starting with the original MW but I enjoyed Black Ops so I'll keep an eye on this. I'd love to see them tone things down a bit but I'd imagine the chances of that happening are next to nothing at this point in the series' life.

Dabanton

I'm not criticising the series (there's already enough people for that), but has the hype fallen for COD. I remember when MW2 was announced and the hype was huge. Since then, it's all been a bit meh and I can't be the only one.

I'm sure the game will be as good as the other ones, but I think they've fallen into the trap of overhyping things and then when you combine that with yearly releases- people start to get bored very quickly.

The point I'm making, is that this is how I feel about this series. It has gotten very stale for me very fast.

You're falling into the trap of thinking Gaf opinion =mainstream gamer opinion. From here on out CoD will always get shit on something serious on 'core' gamer hangouts. But still sell millions of copies out of the gate to everyone else. Most CoD fans now just play the game and avoid all the other drama surrounding it. Which makes these sort of threads with 'funny' gifs etc so tiresome to read.

At least this year we don't have to have a drawn out 'fight' with Battlefield.

It's hilarious that CoD gets the "it's stale" accusations while other well loved game series which don't change much of what they do game to game are always given a pass.

It's always the same
So disgusting!

to me i see two different groups of people that you have amalgamated into one entity

and personally for me its gone

MW1 - This is rather quite a great game, I look forward to what IW does next

WaW- Don't really like their return to WW2 plus I really was skeptical about different devs , did not buy, but the game was actually fun having played it at a friends house

MW2- This game was "bigger and more badass" than MW1, but in being so added a lot of bad elements while not improving at all on what was flawed on MW1.

Blops- Actually tried to improve on what was wrong with MW2 and previous titles, while trying something relatively different. Actually liked it quite a bit but realized that i just have problems with aspects of the core gameplay of COD.

MW3- Didn't buy, Played a bit of it using a friends copy, Basically ignores the good that was added with Blops while continuing with the bad from mw2, also really dont like the maps.

Boerseun

Banned
I have Blops PC version and it's horribly optimized and runs like crap.

Very true. After struggling for a while with getting the most out of it, I ended up repurchasing the game on Wii and had a blast. Among other improvements, the Wii version lowers the number of players, in effect cutting down on the stop 'n' pop gameplay, resulting in a deeper, more strategic experience. For me it's right up there with MAG, Killzone 2 and Goldeneye 007 (Wii version) as one of the best current gen on-line FPS's.

Guys, do you think there will be a war in this game?

Clearly not... "War" is not anywhere in the title!

Seriously though, Blackops wasn't really a war time shooter, it was breaking out of prison, conspiracy theories, and Deer Hunter...

besides the flashbacks to Vietnam and WW2 of course :p

zlatko

Banned
Wasn't that stoked for MW3 last year, but it turned out to be my favorite CoD MP since CoD4. I really didn't get into blops at all after 1 month, and I just traded it in with no regrets.

Normally I'd be more curious for what they got in the pipeline, but Halo 4 looks so damn good that no other MP shooter is even on my radar this year. It'd take a lot of amazing stuff from them to make me consider it.

i.e dedicated servers on consoles.

XeroSauce

Clearly not... "War" is not anywhere in the title!

Seriously though, Blackops wasn't really a war time shooter, it was breaking out of prison, conspiracy theories, and Deer Hunter...

besides the flashbacks to Vietnam and WW2 of course :p

Contrary to popular opinion, I liked the whole Black Ops interrogation plot as opposed to being random soldiers flying all over the place doing the entire war by yourself.

Top Bottom