• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

http://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1703-Summer-2017/WWII-Dunkirk.aspx

Nolan first worked out "a precise mathematical structure" for the story before writing the script, which he determined had to be driven by fictional characters inspired by, but not slavishly based on, actual eyewitnesses. This structure would later have a profound impact on the creation of the score by one of Nolan's many longtime collaborators, composer Hans Zimmer, which took a year to create since it had to work in exact rhythm to the suspense-driven editing Nolan composed with his regular editor, Lee Smith.

But Nolan also found something else with his actors, yet another of the firsts for him in making Dunkirk. True to the improvisatory spirit of the rescue mission itself, Rylance launched a set of improvs with the actors (including Murphy) who play civilians on a boat coming from England, making up scenes that might happen between the actually scripted scenes. "Nobody knows rehearsal and improvisation better than Rylance," said Nolan of the former artistic director of Shakespeare's Globe theater in London, "and watching him create this atmosphere was fun and deepened the characterizations."

Lima

This structure would later have a profound impact on the creation of the score by one of Nolan's many longtime collaborators, composer Hans Zimmer, which took a year to create since it had to work in exact rhythm to the suspense-driven editing Nolan composed with his regular editor, Lee Smith.

So Baby Driver in WW2? Fucking sold.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So Baby Driver in WW2? Fucking sold.

What a great way to set oneself for disappointment. I don't doubt that Nolan took his time on this, but I doubt he did it like Wright.

Ashhong

Someone found the 70mm/ 70mm IMAX theater list in the Dunkirk website source code

http://imgur.com/a/G28Q8

Wasn't this already released previously?

And what's the diff between 65/70mm? Just the 5mm size difference in the film itself? I love being in socal, apparently the Irvine IMAX is the highest grossing theater in the country. No wonder it gets all the good stuff

Wasn't this already released previously?

And what's the diff between 65/70mm? Just the 5mm size difference in the film itself? I love being in socal, apparently the Irvine IMAX is the highest grossing theater in the country. No wonder it gets all the good stuff

The 5mm is for like the audio track

DMczaf

Grizzled Nolan

Via @JohnSant87
Preview: Christopher Nolan photographed by Gavin Bond for Playboy July/August 2017, promoting ‘Dunkirk’. #ChristopherNolan #Nolan #Dunkirk

DDKG0E1XoAAfVJQ.jpg

FTF

Someone found the 70mm/ 70mm IMAX theater list in the Dunkirk website source code

http://imgur.com/a/G28Q8

Def plan on heading into the city and catching in on the Lowes Lincoln square IMAX, going to be so good.

Also, confused by their listing of Farmingdale 14, as at the moment that theater doesn't even have a liemax screen let alone a real imax. They have an Xplus dolby which is basically just a screen between a reg and a liemax, but with the awesome atmos sound. Only thing I can think of is I think they have a 70mm projector, as I saw one of those cool extended screenings of The Hateful Eight there, but it's not even close to a big imax screen.

Ashhong

Def plan on heading into the city and catching in on the Lowes Lincoln square IMAX, going to be so good.

Also, confused by their listing of Farmingdale 14, as at the moment that theater doesn't even have a liemax screen let alone a real imax. They have an Xplus dolby which is basically just a screen between a reg and a liemax, but with the awesome atmos sound. Only thing I can think of is I think they have a 70mm projector, as I saw one of those cool extended screenings of The Hateful Eight there, but it's not even close to a big imax screen.

If u notice, alot of those screenings listed don't say IMAX on the side. So I guess there are theaters playing it on a 70mm projector but without the screen size? Not sure what the point of that is

FTF

If u notice, alot of those screenings listed don't say IMAX on the side. So I guess there are theaters playing it on a 70mm projector but without the screen size? Not sure what the point of that is

ahh ok, yeah that's it thanks. Didn't notice that at first. And I agree, not sure what the point of a 70mm showing on a non imax screen is :/

Ridley327

Good to hear, looks like this will be my first film seeing in 70mm. I saw Interstellar in IMAX, but it was digital.

Theatrical presentations for film shot on film spooling through actual film projectors are hard to beat. The texture of the image is just so pleasant to witness in motion. That goes for 35mm and 70mm alike, though 70mm is going to be just a bit more exciting due to the lack of proper projectors in comparison.

Trixxstrr

I thought all the IMAX screens in Edmonton already converted to digital projection? Maybe it's just the science museum IMAX and the one in the mall has both film and digital projectors.

The West Edmonton Mall IMAX is now converted to digital, but for Dunkirk they are bringing in a 15/70 projector for it. Not sure if after the movie is done it's run if they're going to keep it or not though.

The West Edmonton Mall IMAX is now converted to digital, but for Dunkirk they are bringing in a 15/70 projector for it. Not sure if after the movie is done it's run if they're going to keep it or not though.

Ayyy that's pretty cool that they'll do that. This is a much better arrangement than Star Wars: Force Awakens, where the only place in Canada that showed the 70mm IMAX version was in Saskatchewan.

I thought all the IMAX screens in Edmonton already converted to digital projection? Maybe it's just the science museum IMAX and the one in the mall has both film and digital projectors.

I'm ok with seeing this in digital, but if I want to see the full IMAX frame where some scenes are 1.44:1 I'd have to go to IMAX Laser. The nearest one is even further away than the 70mm IMAX that is 108 miles away. :(

Blader

Huh. Since when did the AMC in Boston get 70mm? They've been digital IMAX only for forever.

I hope that list is accurate and not just conflating the 70mm IMAX and digital IMAX showings.

Drifters

I really hope Nolan works on a North African campaign movie in the future if his depiction of WW2 holds up to what we're seeing in the trailers. Also, I would love to see his vision for 'The Forever War' as Ridley is going to be busy making Alien movie babies for the next 15 years.

Farmingdale is just a 70mm screening. If it's IMAX 70mm, there will be an IMAX logo.

No IMAX screening in DC/NoVA means I gotta go to Baltimore :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom