• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

Slayven

The One and Done™;241677624 said:
Proceed with caution. BvS early reactions were very positive as well.

They kinda always are, unless the movie is completely horrid. Like game previews

giphy.gif

Okay? I fail to see the connection.

The BvS early reactions were from a bunch of random people on twitter, weren't they? I'm trying to include only critics, reporters, writers, etc. in the OP. This is more akin to the Wonder Woman early impressions.

Glass Rebel

from Steven Weintraub on twitter

Absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED Spider-Man Homecoming. Funny. Filled with surprises. Tons of fun. Going to make insane $ at box office.

Also Spider-Man Homecoming has one of the best after the credits scenes yet. But not for the reason you'd expect. Trust me. Stay till end.

He also said it's his favourite Spidey film.

SpaceWolf

Banned

What, are you saying these aren't professional film rev-

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING is so, so much fun (more later, but I ate too much Bunch a Crunch and laughed a lot so now I have a headache).

Okay, I see your point.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

The Homecoming tweets are from critics, not random fans. Critics savaged BvS in early reviews, if I'm not mistaken.

Mariolee

I only watched the first trailer. heard all the later trailers spoil the entire movie.

They sure well seem like it.

People said the same thing about GOTG 2, and most of the trailers were made up of footage from the first 30 minutes of the movie

Hope this is the case.

Those were fan reactions, not critic ones.

At this point the cliche isn't that early impressions are positive

It's that 15 people are going to roll in to make sure you absolutely 100% understand that "early impressions are always positive"

(They're not always positive, and they're not always early impressions from easily impressed amateur YouTube rubes who hiccup and ahh like babies finally noticing the mobile over their cribs)

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
It worries me that both of the immediate reviews feel Homecoming falls short of Raimi's original Spiderman.

I mean, I love that movie, but it hasn't aged particularly well. It's got a lot of flaws, especially in the action department.

4517426-1145713507-rUPIK.gif

At times it's basically a big budget Power Rangers episode.

That's basically how I felt on rewatch. I used to like the movies way more but they don't hold up for me. I feel like there's is some nostalgia speaking when people compare it to those especially because a lot remember what the movies meant for comic book movies at the time. It was an amazing achievement but dunno as a casual watcher today I have a far better time with even the amazing spiderman 1 and it just boils down to cringing less. Especially everything peter/MJ in the first two is kinda unenjoyable to me.

That said I won't expect anything amazing out of homecoming just at base an enjoyable flick ala antman. Being a casual movie watcher expectations seem to influence my enjoyment a lot. The impression for guardians 2 were so lukewarm at the time hammering not as good as the first one and in the end after watching it twice I think I enjoy it more than the first one tbh.

Still not really sold, have a lot of spider fatigue and I've always dreaded this would be a teen movie.

I'm sure it will be ok but I'm more hyped for Thor 3 and JL.

plainr_

Weren't BvS and SS social media reactions from early fan screenings? What we see here are reactions from actual critics.

Slayven

At this point the cliche isn't that early impressions are positive

It's that 15 people are going to roll in to make sure you absolutely 100% understand that "early impressions are always positive"

(They're not always positive, and they're not always early impressions from easily impressed amateur YouTube rubes who hiccup and ahh like babies finally noticing the mobile over their cribs)

Marvel sold the rights because they were going bankrupt

The wirework and campy action scenes in Spider-Man are part of the charm for me. This is SAM RAIMI we're talking about. Give him today's tech and a 500 million dollar budget and you'd get the exact same type of action with the exact same wirework.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Still not really sold, have a lot of spider fatigue and I've always dreaded this would be a teen movie.

I'm sure it will be ok but I'm more hyped for Thor 3 and JL.
I mean, from the get go we were told his was a teen movie. It was that approach that had everyone excited for the movie.

bitch no they weren't

also, as always, the only impressions that matter pre-release are mine, GAF's pre-eminent film reviewer

Vengal

Third best spiderman movie is kinda rough right? I mean there are alot of them at this point but you'd think with all the people involved it could atleast crack to second best...

SpaceWolf

Banned
It was an amazing achievement but dunno as a casual watcher today I have a far better time with even the amazing spiderman 1 and it just boils down to cringing less.

Peter: I don't....I mean....I don't....we-we-we-we, we could....

Gwen: Yeah, totally!

Captain Stacy: (Leaning in) That Spiderman is a menace, son.

Honestly if there's any franchise that's completely fitting for Marvel's "same tone same formula", it's Spiderman. Goofy light hearted action and quips is absolutely PERFECT for this Peter Parker. I just really really really hope Michael Keaton is a good villain worthy of being compared to the villains of the earlier Spiderman films.

Squire

Banned
I'll believe it's Raimi-tier when I see it break that barrier with my own eyes. Looking forward to the movie and I loved Holland in CW, but I highly doubt it's *that* good.

Toad.T

Banned
"The film glosses over his origin, which robs Spider-Man of his inherent tragedy."

How many times do you need to see his origin?

Hey, there may be sone tibetian monk some where that hasn't seen anu Spiderman media ever.

You don't know.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Peter: I don't....I mean....I don't....we-we-we-we, we could....

Gwen: Yeah, totally!

Captain Stacy: (Leaning in) That Spiderman is a menace, son.

Didn't affect me tbh. But then I don't think lines by themselves make me cringe. It's always several factors involved. Star Wars prequels are full of cringe but then we have McGregor carrying the shit out of his awful lines and it comes to a net 0 for me.

MisterHero

yea and it's still just as schmaltzy, boring and pathetic in the action department as it was when it first came out. what about it?
I've traveled into the reality where Amazing Spider-Man 2 has stolen Spider-Man 2's body and is ruining his reputation to make another, unrelated Spider-Man look good.

incredible

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Still gonna wait until home release. Not a huge Spiderman fan and while this sounds like a solid film like most MCU offerings I'm guessing this will be more of the same with more jokes than I'd prefer. If it gets Wonder Woman praise I'll probably check it out in theaters.

Good reactions. Though I think people put too much stock into specific opinions, there's good reactions there but we jump at the "third best" like it's confirmed by that person. Maybe they REALLY love the first two. Personally I don't love the first one so taking that into account, for me, I could easily like this more.

I also really like both Amazing movies, the first more so than the second, so there's difference in opinions across the board pretty much with these movies.

Tom Holland gonna be the best Spider-Man. I KNOW IT
These care actual critics. Many of whom disliked BvS.

Also "great villain with depth" is a big deal for me as what made SM2 so great IMO was the villain and his impact on Peter. So if that has merit, I'm already sold there more than the villains in any since Ock.

Top Bottom