• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront II |OT| I find your lack of crates disturbing

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I got two quality matches in today, Battlefront still needs to get hip, especially with all Dice does with it's Battlefield series... C'mon.

So far, I don't like the new balance changes on GA with 50 plus tickets instead of 30 and capturing objectives seems much faster.

I've seen alot about how it's always so one sided, and though at times it could be, in my experience it usually boiled down to who was the better team. Im Usually in top 3.

My teams have won plenty on both sides before patch but I've done pretty much nothing but get steamrolled since the patch. Idk, Maybe I'm just getting on some sorry teams but capturing points seems much faster and more tickets mean more people to continue steamrolling us lol.

xet72

Decided to play Blast 10v10 to grind out guns. This game mode is amazingly addictive. Map sizes are just right size & limiting points to just Rocket Man, Death Tooper, or Flame thrower is great. Playing Assault using Vanguard to flank enemies is great, have not had this much fun using a Shotty since Blops3. No longer grinding guns this mode, this is the TDM I wanted. Played solid 2 hours last nite w/ three friends & of the 20 peeps in Blast almost all stayed in lobby whole time. I bought this game to play Galactic Assualt & fly a lil but don't sleep on Blast.

Decided to play Blast 10v10 to grind out guns. This game mode is amazingly addictive. Map sizes are just right size & limiting points to just Rocket Man, Death Tooper, or Flame thrower is great. Playing Assault using Vanguard to flank enemies is great, have not had this much fun using a Shotty since Blops3. No longer grinding guns this mode, this is the TDM I wanted. Played solid 2 hours last nite w/ three friends & of the 20 peeps in Blast almost all stayed in lobby whole time. I bought this game to play Galactic Assualt & fly a lil but don't sleep on Blast.

I’ve only really played blast. Galactic Assault is too hectic for me.

So what did you all pick, Resistance or First Order?

Resistance for me. Finn's the man.

I went with the Resistance also. Finn's a cool and funny dude. I don't really have much to say about Phasma because she has such a small role in the movie anyway.

I like the changes so far, especially the extra tickets when you complete a sector now. I played Kamino again finally for the first time in over a week tonight and I still have not played Yavoin IV in almost 2 weeks now. Those are the only two GA levels I have not won as attackers yet. Kamino is just ridiculous man.

Is the Elite version worth it over the standard? I have to buy digital for sharing and its on sale on Xbox right now. The Elite is full cost. Not sure there will be another sale this month digitally.

FN-2187

Is the Elite version worth it over the standard? I have to buy digital for sharing and its on sale on Xbox right now. The Elite is full cost. Not sure there will be another sale this month digitally.

I believe you are just paying extra for unlocks, so I would say it depends how you feel about that. If you are fine with paying more to have instant access to stuff you would have to grind for, then go for it. I’m a standard version guy myself.

Yes yes yes!

It's definitely pay 2 win out the box.

Not only does the elite give you access to great Star Cards that would take you forever to grind to epic level normally, the cards give you a head start in raising your class level which allows you to equip multiple Star Cards at a time.

The credits and crafting parts saved from not having to level the Elite addition cards can go towards purchasing and leveling additional cards to give you a significant advantage in combat (especially if you level the cards that give increased buffs before the ones that just reduce timers).

Lastly the Elite version give all of your classes access to higher tier weapons ( some of which can be considered the best for their class depending on your playstyle) AND the first weapon mod for them already unlocked.

Normally to need to grind kills with weaker weapons to unlock these higher tier ones, THEN grind kills with these weapons to unlock the first mod. With the first mod already unlocked, you'll be able to grind class kills and weapon kill much quicker to get you better bonuses and weapon mods faster.

It's sucky to say, but that extra $20 for the Elite version is worth it. At least it was for me.

Basically, is your time and maybe early frustration worth more to you than $20?

I don't blame anyone for not buying in though, because it seems obvious this game was built as a deliberate slow grind to frustrate players into spending more.

I was in a similar boat, looking forward towards GA the most because I loved WA the last game. But GA has been boring for me. Then I tried Strike. Smaller map size, quicker pace, more paths around murder hallways, quicker credit payout... I'm loving this mode.

Superkewl

Gold Member

Not while the standard edition is on sale. I picked up the standard edition for 35% off($51.99CAD). The P2W edition is still like $100CAD

Yes yes yes!

It's definitely pay 2 win out the box.

I supposed it depends on your priorities. I would rather save 50 bucks. Can get another game on sale for that.

BANGS

Banned
Is the Elite version worth it over the standard?.

Not at all. You're basically paying extra to NOT play the game. To unlock things early as opposed to just playing for a few hours and unlocking them yourself. It's a complete rip-off...

Not at all. You're basically paying extra to NOT play the game. To unlock things early as opposed to just playing for a few hours and unlocking them yourself. It's a complete rip-off...

"a few hours"??? Ok...

Guess you missed the big stink about the glacial grind and ridiculously high time investment needed with this game. It's much more than a few hours. Unlocking those weapons and mods could take days or weeks depending on how much time you have to play a day.

And that's not even including grinding matches to gain enough credits to buy crates to get crafting parts to craft and upgrade the Star Cards that you want and the other Star Cards that you don't want but you need to anyways just to raise your class level to meet the minimum requirement to craft higher level cards and equip more cards.

And getting one Star Card from level 3 to level 4 alone costs 480 crafting parts. That's not including levels 1 - 3. With crate payouts of 35 to 50 crafting parts mostly.

It's gotten so bad, on the other board, some have reasoned simply skipping upgrading Star Cards all the way to level 4 because the crafting parts are so few and the grind to get them is stupid long. So maybe stick to lower level abilities in multiple classes instead of that giant commitment to max out your main class. Elite version gives you some of the best Star Cards maxed right out the box, with some of the best weapons and mods unlocked on top of it. It's shitty, but there it is.

It is a ripoff because it shouldn't be like that. The progression is intentionally bogged down and unbearably slow to want to make you spend on microtransactions. Even though I like the base gameplay, I'm happy that the sales are weak, so hopefully EA and others won't try predatory shit on this level again. I'm not spending another dollar on this game, unless new Hero dlc like Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon become a thing. But with all that said, the value that the Elite version gives with its early, potent unlocks and the time it saves ended up being worth it to me. Ymmv of course.

BANGS

Banned
I didn't need to miss "the big stink" when I own the game and actually play it lol...

I don't even care about the progression system, I have like 50,000 credits just banked I don't even open crates. Having tons of fun online. I figure I'll save all those cresits till they update things, no point in opening crates now when they're still tweaking...

I didn't need to miss "the big stink" when I own the game and actually play it lol...

I don't even care about the progression system, I have like 50,000 credits just banked I don't even open crates. Having tons of fun online. I figure I'll save all those cresits till they update things, no point in opening crates now when they're still tweaking...

Well since you've actually played the game, I don't know where you got "a few hours" from then, when with your 50,000 credits...

You'd get only about 22 Hero crates, which if you got impossibly lucky and got 50 crafting parts each instead of the normal 35, you'd get 1100 craft parts.

You couldn't even max two cards with that. If you got the typical 35 crafting parts, you couldn't even max one.

And that's if none of those credits go towards unlocking more heroes.

Telling posters that they'd be able to unlock eight or so Epic level Star Cards and 3rd tier weapons with mods (from the Elite version) in just a few hours is incorrect.

It's a significant time investment.

800k+ with poor word of mouth and general negative sentiment is still impressive, IMO. And like it says in the tweet, the new movie will bolster sales further. It just won't be the next FIFA cash cow that EA was hoping it would be, thankfully.

Considering Battlefront 2015 sold more than double in it’s first NDP it is piss poor IMO. First one did not have a good buzz or word of mouth either.

SonicSleuth

Some gamers here are celebrating the "failure" of an incredibly fun and well made game.

I cannot imagine what mental gymnastics justify that sort of thinking, but whatever makes you happy. I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

Some gamers here are celebrating the "failure" of an incredibly fun and well made game.

I cannot imagine what mental gymnastics justify that sort of thinking, but whatever makes you happy. I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

That is because we aren't fanboys and some shill for EA.

Because fuck this piece of garbage and fuck EA.

Make a better game that people want to buy and there's no need for fucking microtransactions. If you can't make a Star Wars game that is good enough to turn a profit you have no business doing business in video games.

Paraphrasing Jim Sterling a bit there too.

Crew 511A

Considering Battlefront 2015 sold more than double in it’s first NDP it is piss poor IMO. First one did not have a good buzz or word of mouth either.

Oddly enough, the 2015 release still seems to have a fair amount of people playing it on XB1. I figured BF2 would have killed it off completely, but that's definitely not the case.

Oddly enough, the 2015 release still seems to have a fair amount of people playing it on XB1. I figured BF2 would have killed it off completely, but that's definitely not the case.

I'd figure it's people who got tired of the piss poor progression system, besides the game is "free" on EA/Origin Access including all DLC so you got all maps and shit. The Ultimate Edition is available on Origin Access for me so i figure it is the same on Xbox One.

So i guess it has more content beside the lazy SP campaign with all DLC maps and such?

On the one hand I want to agree with you and say Welcome to 2017 - where the slightest transgression against the hive will be met with disdain and death threats,

On the other hand, it is a bit annoying that EA have taken what should have been the best Star Wars game of all time and turned it into $impsons tapped out.

I really enjoyed the first BF - the single player on this attracted me, but if they have messed up the progression, £60 is a lot to pay at this stage. £30 would be more appropriate.

Shifty

"I like it, therefore there cannot be anything wrong with it."

Seeing as we're at the point of the story breaking mainstream news and the possibility of government regulation, I think that perhaps this has gone past being a vocal minority situation.

BANGS

Banned
Well since you've actually played the game, I don't know where you got "a few hours" from then, when with your 50,000 credits...

You'd get only about 22 Hero crates, which if you got impossibly lucky and got 50 crafting parts each instead of the normal 35, you'd get 1100 craft parts.

You couldn't even max two cards with that. If you got the typical 35 crafting parts, you couldn't even max one.

And that's if none of those credits go towards unlocking more heroes.

Telling posters that they'd be able to unlock eight or so Epic level Star Cards and 3rd tier weapons with mods (from the Elite version) in just a few hours is incorrect.

It's a significant time investment.

Not really sure exactly how long it takes but it really doesn't matter. I'm enjoying playing the game and not really worrying about upgrades. I'm hoarding credits like whoa and it's glorious lmfao

munroe

The amount of credits earned feels so random, come 3rd on the board and I get around 1500 credits, come 2nd and only get around 400

Just now I came 5th and got 1395 credits for a short game, so random.

I feel there's too many annoyances with the game to truly have fun with it.

For example, it's annoying you can't mantle, being stuck behind a small wall/ledge which is just slightly too high to jump is annoying.

Not knowing what the next map will be, I like to know the map and whether or not I'll be defending etc.

I celebrate this failure because I care about the health of my hobby. And remember, EA and its antics are the cancer of this industry. Should Battlefront II have sold a lot with the pay-to-win mechanics still active, it would have done a lot of damage to gaming.

If you can't see that (as the 90% of us do), it means you may be part of the problem.

SonicSleuth

The amount of credits earned feels so random, come 3rd on the board and I get around 1500 credits, come 2nd and only get around 400

Just now I came 5th and got 1395 credits for a short game, so random.

I feel there's too many annoyances with the game to truly have fun with it.

For example, it's annoying you can't mantle, being stuck behind a small wall/ledge which is just slightly too high to jump is annoying.

Not knowing what the next map will be, I like to know the map and whether or not I'll be defending etc.

It's not random. If you got 1395 credits, it's because you leveled up that round. You get bonus XP every time you level up. Look at the level indicator between rounds, it's like half the screen, you can't miss it.

As for mantling and map selection... these are DICE design choices/flaws. There's lot of stuff I would have done differently... hell, they should have just mimicked Halo Reach for multiplayer selection, for instance... but those things are not unique in any way to Battlefront 2.

This game has a couple of real problems right now. One is rubberbanding morons. That needs to be addressed, and it could be very easily fixed if they added a "Kick" or "Report" feature to the game. It would be great if people just stopped being morons, though.

At every point that people moaned about this game, EA has been attentive and responsive... but the witch hunt is on, so let's just ignore all that.

Meanwhile, Bethesda gets cheers for releasing the same game with a different skin filled with bugs, and then sells that exact game for years. I love good games, but I had to stop playing Skyrim for six months just hoping they would fix my glitched NPC quest. They never did, so I had to hack in on the PC with my 360 save file. I had to reload a Fallout Vegas save file that was twenty hours old because my saves got corrupted. I glitched through the world more times than I could count. But I respect those games for what they do well and get over what they don't.

In the end, if you don't like it, don't play it. But there's no moral high ground here. It's just a video game.

Just spent some time playing the first one with my youngest son and I have to admit I like it better. BF2 needs more open battles like Walker Assault in the first one. In BF2 the large maps still find a way to be claustrophobic because there aren't many open areas. Looks like the 10 hour Access trial will be enough for me and it makes me sad because it's Star Wars. Maybe down the road when I'll pick it up when its on sale for a drastically reduced price.

SonicSleuth

Palabragrís;253105858 said:
I celebrate this failure because I care about the health of my hobby. And remember, EA and its antics are the cancer of this industry. Should Battlefront II have sold a lot with the pay-to-win mechanics still active, it would have done a lot of damage to gaming.

If you can't see that (as the 90% of us do), it means you may be part of the problem.

By misrepresenting the game to "win" this argument, you're 100% part of the problem.

"And remember, EA and its antics are the cancer of the industry".

Antics like responding to complaints about the first Battefront's lack of single player campaign and expensive "season pass" by including a solid (not spectacular) single player mode and all free DLC? Publishing sequels to fan favorite yet underperforming games like Titanfall and Mirror's Edge? Adding single player campaigns to their hugely performing sports games?

There is plenty to complain about in the world of games and business. Microtranscations are going on every single day in countless games. EA didn't invent this market, they're just doing business in it.

By misrepresenting the game to "win" this argument, you're 100% part of the problem.

Antics like responding to complaints about the first Battefront's lack of single player campaign and expensive "season pass" by including a solid (not spectacular) single player mode and all free DLC? Publishing sequels to fan favorite yet underperforming games like Titanfall and Mirror's Edge? Adding single player campaigns to their hugely performing sports games?

There is plenty to complain about in the world of games and business. Microtranscations are going on every single day in countless games. EA didn't invent this market, they're just doing business in it.

Are you a paid or unpaid shill? That's the real question here.

I was intending to give you a serious answer, but I failed. Then I tried sarcasm, but I just couldn't.

Boy, you just left me speechless.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Are you a paid or unpaid shill? That's the real question here.

Can we stop with the conspiracy theories? Not everyone that has a different opinion is a 'shill'. You may disagree vehemently with the opinion but let's have something a bit more articulate and sensible than pointing and screaming 'witch!'

Thanks ;)

royox

The more and better star cards you have the more powerful you are correct?

I fail to see how this isn't pay to win.

You can't pay for them. Also the advantage cards grant you is minimal, weapons have a much bigger impact. Not that i like the crate system but that's how the game is today.

royox

If there's one thing in this game that's an actual problem, it's rubber banders...

And stuttering. Can't play the 40 ppl modes because the PS4 goes laggy as hell when there's some major shit happening (90% of the time lol).

BANGS

Banned
And stuttering. Can't play the 40 ppl modes because the PS4 goes laggy as hell when there's some major shit happening (90% of the time lol).

I haven't noticed that at all. Maybe because I'm using the pro, not really sure...

royox

I haven't noticed that at all. Maybe because I'm using the pro, not really sure...

It's a general problem with ps4, pc and Xbox. On huge maps there's a lot of server lag and you have a lot of rubber banding moments where your character is moving forward and suddently teleports 2 steps back. It's very frustrating.

BANGS

Banned
It's a general problem with ps4, pc and Xbox. On huge maps there's a lot of server lag and you have a lot of rubber banding moments where your character is moving forward and suddently teleports 2 steps back. It's very frustrating.

I honestly can say I've never encountered this issue. Maybe I don't play much on the bigger maps or maybe it's because of the pro... Not sure but I only experienced bad lag once and it was a space battle...

Other maps are a coin toss, but Kashyyk has like a 99% chance of unbearable lag for me. Shame because that's one of the coolest maps in the game.

Superkewl

Gold Member
Got this on sale Friday and am already bored it. The progression system is probably the worst I have seen in a game. Only saving grace is the Starfighter mode, and as much as I like Starfighter, the controls are terrible.

Top Bottom