• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

I just remembered this:

Bluepoint Games have been radio-silent since March 2015.

Link:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.play...es-working-unannounced-project-please-masses/

Could this be the Shenmue HD remastered collection??

giphy.gif
Oh shit I hope it's bluepoint their hd translation are another level of amazing

Musolf815

Seeing this made me dust off my original Xbox and play some Shenmue 2 again. I jumped in late to the games but I love them so much, I'd definitely buy an HD remaster.

As someone whose only exposure to Shenmue was the Giant Bomb endurance run, I will be happy to explore some of the things they never touched, but man did it seem like it hasn't aged well to me.

Spaghetti

I've played 2 quite a few times and NEVER heard of these.
Butchers are in the Green Market Quarter (slightly off-centre where the road splits left and right), the palm reader is the first one you encounter off the boat (and you'll find her again further into Wan Chai and later in Kowloon too), and the photographer woman is in a General Store in the Lucky Charm Quarter next to Three Blades street.

Seriously!

Shenmue II is very surprising when it comes to quirky, unique NPCs.

celsowmbr

Banned
Apologies for the bump, but a slight development related to this has been noticed by Kiske over at the Shenmue Dojo. The same author of the rumored Shenmue HD article, "I love Japanese Games" also wrote an article with the rumor of a Parappa the Rappa and Gitaroo crossover game, which was basically confirmed on Friday with the launch of a website:

Rumor article - http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/project-rap-rabbit/

Confirmed article - http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/project-rap-rabbit-confirmed/

Now, whilst we still are no closer to Shenmue HD, this example certainly does bolster the reliability of the author of the original Shenmue HD article, and that his/her source from Altus is indeed legitimate. As to why we haven't had an announcement yet remains unknown, but hopefully we won't have that long to wait!

Oh boy...

_Ryo_

I really doubt Bluepoint are remaking Shenmue. It would be way too much work to recreate 200+ characters each with their daily schedule, as well as all the many branches of the script, including secret scene and dialogue, and the many types of game mechanics

Oh boy...

Also, as I mentioned a few pages back, the same author predicted that Altus would be publishing King of Fighters 14 in the West

Rumor article - http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/king-of-fighters-14-english-release-handled-atlus/

Confirmation - http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/12/atlus-publishing-king-fighters-xiv-americas/

That's an Altus specific one, to go alongside the Parappa the Rappa confirmation, but the difference is that these reveals were all within days of their rumor. Shenmue HD was rumored back in February which is some months ago now. So I would still edge caution rather than break out the champagne crates on the hype train.

All eyes to E3 now.....

DavidDesu

I really doubt Bluepoint are remaking Shenmue. It would be way too much work to recreate 200+ characters each with their daily schedule, as well as all the many branches of the script, including secret scene and dialogue, and the many types of game mechanics

Is Shenmue really that dense? Cleaning up a bunch of textures and improving some character models and hopefully modernising the control of Ryu and it's job done. Sure that's a lot of work but it' not like they're redesigning the game from scratch or anything. I don't see why it couldn't be done by them. If it's going to be made by anyone then I would trust in them to do it well above anyone else, including Sega themselves (christ especially these days).

God I hope this is true. I want to be strolling around Dobuita in the snow this Xmas, just like I did back on my Dreamcast, soaking up that glorious atmosphere all over again. I just hope the transition to HD doesn't detract (like seeing some old 2D fighting games getting a new lick of paint but they lose the look and feel of the original). CANNOT WAIT. An E3 announcement at Sony's conference would be glorious.

_Ryo_

Is Shenmue really that dense? Cleaning up a bunch of textures and improving some character models and hopefully modernising the control of Ryu and it's job done. Sure that's a lot of work but it' not like they're redesigning the game from scratch or anything. I don't see why it couldn't be done by them. If it's going to be made by anyone then I would trust in them to do it well above anyone else, including Sega themselves (christ especially these days).

God I hope this is true. I want to be strolling around Dobuita in the snow this Xmas, just like I did back on my Dreamcast, soaking up that glorious atmosphere all over again. I just hope the transition to HD doesn't detract (like seeing some old 2D fighting games getting a new lick of paint but they lose the look and feel of the original). CANNOT WAIT. An E3 announcement at Sony's conference would be glorious.

I dont consider cleaning up textures and modding character models a remake. That is a remaster. Like Final Fantasy X and XII HD. I dont doubt that Blueprint would remaster the game but recreating it entirely I just do not see.

A remake would be more like what Insomniac did with Ratchet and Clank (though technically they called that a reimagining). They'd have to remake the game in an entirely different engine, with new assets, voice acting etc.

As you can see in the post from Blueprint they put emphasis on the word REMAKING, not remastering. They clearly see a difference there.

DavidDesu

I dont consider cleaning up textures and modding character models a remake. That is a remaster. Like Final Fantasy X and XII HD. I dont doubt that Blueprint would remaster the game but recreating it entirely I just do not see.

A remake would be more like what Insomniac did with Ratchet and Clank (though technically they called that a reimagining). They'd have to remake the game in an entirely different engine, with new assets, voice acting etc.

As you can see in the post from Blueprint they put emphasis on the word REMAKING, not remastering. They clearly see a difference there.

Ahh, I did not notice your emphasis on remake.. No I don't see anyone remaking it, I don't want a remake. Just clean it up, give us nice HD textures that honour the look and feel of the original, don't change the audio and don't change the gameplay outside of giving us modern third person controls.

Odd that people aren't more aware of the games' deep and intricate fighting mechanics. The last hours of Shenmue 2 are basically The Raid: The Game.

tumblr_inline_ni5824r0qf1qewv52.jpg

When Yakuza first came out on PS2, it at first appeared to me that it might be like the Shenmue games (which I loved). People told me over and over that it wasn't. And heard this again as the series went on. So I didn't touch the Yakuza games. Then finally like 3 years ago I decided to give them a shot. I absolutely loved the Yakuza games and had to go on and play them all. I regretted listening to them.

And I love them for a lot of the same reasons I love the Shenmue games. They are epic martial arts RPGs with great stories, martial arts fighting/bravado, and smaller intricate open worlds. They are not similar in every way, but they are more similar than some like to admit for some reason. They are more similar to each other than they are to any other game. And it's pretty obvious that Shenmue was the inspiration for Yakuza. So if you think you want to go even in that general direction and you like one, then try the other.

Shenmue has in general a more laid back and lackadaisical feel, and is less aggressive than Yakuza (which you might expect.) However you can turn Yakuza into something sort of more like that out of the main story with Yakuza's myriad of side quests and activities. Shenmue is more linear without much side stuff.

Ah interesting post, thanks for the reply!
From the little I've seen of Shenmue over the years and my new found dabbling in Yakuza, I really thought the games did share some DNA, though some posters here are understandably very keen to point out the games aren't totally similar.

In any case, I'm turning into a sucker for these lived in smaller worlds that have epic scaling East Asian stories attached to them so really a Shenmue HD collection would shoot straight up my buy list.

Now I want this rumour to be true quite a bit haha

What did you say? That Bluepoint were doing them?

The choice of words is really what strikes me!

I'm using all my strengh trying not to read submessages in this post.

You know I am not getting hyped over that the Dojo for ya know, reasons. So I am getting hyped here.

We know Yu Suzuki doesn't play games. How can they be talking about games. Maybe talking about HD remastered GAMES. They are holding Shenmue 1 from the DREAMCAST in the picture....

I can't handle it!!!!

At the risk of being completely bashed, don't forget the same thing happened right before PSX in December, and nothing was revealed there:

tumblr_oq38qutSFV1vilcqco1_400.jpg

But this all feels different.

GET PUMPED!

Kiske

What did you say? That Bluepoint were doing them?

You know I am not getting hyped over that the Dojo for ya know, reasons. So I am getting hyped here.

We know Yu Suzuki doesn't play games. How can they be talking about games. Maybe talking about HD remastered GAMES. They are holding Shenmue 1 from the DREAMCAST in the picture....

I can't handle it!!!!

That's exactly my feeling.

...And I thought you could help me keep my feet on the ground. :D

I wouldn't read too much into that tweet.

If the remasters are happening, it would be entirely up to Sega (of Europe?). Corsi and Suzuki would have no influence barring maybe sign offs on the paperwork. Even then, it's giving Sega way too much credit to think they're orchestrating subtle hints through Twitter.

Apharmd

please

no

you can't hype me up like this

YOU

CAN'T

THIS IS JUST FOR SHENMUE III FOOTAGE, NOT FOR A REMASTER OR PORT

Gardenjam

Neo Member
Ooooooh yeah, hopefully it will be a surprise download during the e3 presentation! I assume shenmue 3 will be delayed and this will be the news to soften the blow. And i'd be very happy with that!! :p

If the remasters are happening, it would be entirely up to Sega (of Europe?). Corsi and Suzuki would have no influence barring maybe sign offs on the paperwork. Even then, it's giving Sega way too much credit to think they're orchestrating subtle hints through Twitter.

I don't know...this seems to fall in line with all of the other evidence [SEGA registers ShenmueHD domain name in January, rumors circulate about the remasters, etc.].

please

no

you can't hype me up like this

YOU

CAN'T

THIS IS JUST FOR SHENMUE III FOOTAGE, NOT FOR A REMASTER OR PORT

Hope/Hype!!

Aki-at

This would be amazing and considering recent happenings with port after port I'm very much expecting this to hit us. I just can't believe it'll be 2017 but damn would that be a crowd pleaser!

The recent PC ports shenanigans makes it seem they've gotten good at subtle hints.

Though it might be a step too far getting Sony in on the act but you never know, Corsi definitely has a working relationship after how he helped with Yakuza 5.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
It's happening. Look at what Yu is holding, it doesn't get more blatant than that.

Now I'm just wondering whether this is an E3 announcement or not. It ought to be.

Have a feeling it will be an E3 announcement, Maybe a Shenmue III trailer or gameplay and then right after that they announce an HD collection of I & II to keep the hype but as a way of saying "play this while you wait"

Kssio_Aug

I hope so! I never played Shenmue, and would love to play them before jumping to Shenmue 3. I hope they do a PC release though!

Remasters announced at E3 will just end up getting buried by the III trailer and the event in general. It's really more of a PSX level announcement.

Top Bottom