• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The worst game music of the generation.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No offense to your taste, but those just sounds like bad OC remixes. Especially Balrog's.

Most of the tracks sound like OC Remix attempts at better songs.

Indestructible is the only song I can still stand, and that's for nostalgia reasons. I mean, it's not bad music but everyone recognized it as a serious step down in quality compared to the dark ages of fighters.

Worst game music of the generation <---- is the theme of the topic.

Here let me help you with a good example

Saying an entire ost is the worst when there are good tracks in it and there are clearly way way worst things out there that came out in that generation is silly.

It's like me saying the BBCP OST is garbage when I only don't like Rachel and Noel's themes. Then again you are typically overly negative about things so that's probably just that shining through :p

K.Sabot

Worst game music of the generation <---- is the theme of the topic.

Here let me help you with a good example

Saying an entire ost is the worst when there are good tracks in it and there are clearly way way worst things out there that came out in that generation is silly.

It's like me saying the BBCP OST is garbage when I only don't like Rachel and Noel's themes

Well certainly none of the things posted in this thread are worse than Sonic Chronicles, but if we can be a bit frank about fighting game OSTs this gen I would definitely nominate Capcom's output with SFxT taking the head.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well certainly none of the things posted in this thread are worse than Sonic Chronicles, but if we can be a bit frank about fighting game OSTs this gen I would definitely nominate Capcom's output with SFxT taking the head.
Yup, almost EVERYTHING in that OST was bland. Save for maybe 2 or 3 songs that are average, 2 of them being boss songs you can't even listen to when playing normally.

Teknoman

This is pretty terrible for being in a JRPG. Did Uematsu compose this song at all, or was this a guest composer? If it was Uematsu, then it's definitely a stain on his near perfect record.

For me, its just there. Kinda fits with the over the top cartoony nature of the bosses imo. He knocked it out of the park with the final battle theme though:

The Seal is Broken

Man...I miss Uematsu final boss themes. I wonder if he composed FFXIV 1.0 last battle?

Riposte

My vote goes to the songs of Sonic Chronicles. How did that happen?

But this is a good contender. This was the dungeon theme right? Oh god, why would they make this a song!? SHUT UP

Divinity: Dragon Commander.

Seems like something from a business presentation or technologic expo.

I didn't like it at first, but some of the songs grew on me.

Anyway this thread has too much hyperbole between the good (bad?) choices.

As I understand it, Bioware could not use any of the music for Sonic Chronicles they had made. At the last minute, SEGA said they couldn't use it because of legal issues or some bs. So, the result is the "cat walking on a casio keyboard" music we are left with today. Clearly Bioware needed to take a few notes from the book of the guy who made Sonic CD's Western soundtrack in like two months. Way better rush job.

Edit: It's funny someone posted some stuff from Jet Set Radio as being crap, when the composer(?) also worked on Sonic Rush, which someone posted as some of the best music around. I know He didn't personally write every song, but he was in charge, yes? It meant he must have signed off on "Birthday Cake".

Astarte

This fucking game

I never liked the idea of a Sonic RPG. Gave it a shot though, because why not?

K68ecaO.jpg

Also, a classic

dcassell

Banned
This is pretty terrible for being in a JRPG. Did Uematsu compose this song at all, or was this a guest composer? If it was Uematsu, then it's definitely a stain on his near perfect record.

Uematsu definitely composed it, and the singer is rumored to be Ian Gillian from Deep Purple, and right now, it's pretty sick. I actually really enjoyed that game, but not as much as Lost Odyssey.

Uematsu has been a pretty big metal guy from what I've heard, which explains the death metal in FFX during the intro. Love it.

SegaShack

Sonic Chronicles and Yoshi's Island DS were definitely for me, the worst part is that both series are known for having great music. Both sounded completely minimalistic, yet annoying, and lack any excitement. The fact that the same company who made Yoshi's Island DS is making the new 3DS Yoshi's Island scares me.

If the gen we're talking about includes PS3/Wii/360/DS/PSP, then my vote goes to Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood for DS. Not only is the music terrible, it was horribly disappointing since Sonic music is usually among the very best in gaming.

God, that soundtrack was a shitpile.

Griss

Yes? What do those have to do with the Castle theme? I prefer the one I posted to the one in the first game.

Serious question? Answer is the fact that they're from the same series, and are examples of wonderful music, while the two examples you and I gave are shit. The fact that they're from different kinds of levels is entirely irrelevant. You don't get a pass for bad music because it's a castle level.

Here's two more from Yoshi's Island DS
Flower Garden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx-TQ4E2qPg

Wildlands:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcDJGuJAQlI

I can't listen to either for more than 20 seconds. Absolutely ear-wrenching.

Top Bottom