• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A closer look at the original Red Steel 2

jmizzal

Why was this canceled? The first game sold over 1 mil units and Wii was still selling like crazy.

The Red Steel that came out should have been Red Steel 3 at that point.

But UBisoft kept pumping out AC games

Is Red Steel 2 like an actual legitimately good game? I was wondering if this game was so praised because it came out during the great Wii drought.

jmizzal

It was planned for Wii U, then cancelled.

Does not take a leap of logic to guess why.

Planned for WiiU after WiiU launch?

I liked RS2 but unless they were gonna add online I would pass on that

If people stop canceling games so early WiiU couldve had more games the first part of the year.

EDarkness

Loved Red Steel 2, but I wanted a "real" sequel to the original.

I'm one of those crazies who enjoyed Red Steel.

Same here. I wonder if the change is what hurt the game. It was so different and not even in the same world or have the same characters. My friend passed it over because of the gunplay change. I can't really argue as I thought the guns in Red Steel were good and it's one of the few games I still play today when I'm in the mood to shoot virtual enemies.

Looks pretty cool. However, RS2 ended up being one of my favorite games on the Wii. Absolutely beautiful art, great music, and extremely fun and smooth combat mechanics. I'm still holding out hope that Ubi has Vandenberghe working on RS3 somewhere.

Is Red Steel 2 like an actual legitimately good game? I was wondering if this game was so praised because it came out during the great Wii drought.

The Wii really didn't have many droughts. People just ignored all the great mid tier 3rd party games that came out for it. To answer your question though, yes, it is good. It's not without it's flaws, but I can honestly say it was one of the handful or two of games the entire generation that really delivered on the promise of the Wii's control scheme.

Looks pretty cool. However, RS2 ended up being one of my favorite games on the Wii. Absolutely beautiful art, great music, and extremely fun and smooth combat mechanics. I'm still holding out hope that Ubi has Vandenberghe working on RS3 somewhere.

It was like dmc in first person done right.

The Wii really didn't have many droughts. People just ignored all the great mid tier 3rd party games that came out for it. To answer your question though, yes, it is good. It's not without it's flaws, but I can honestly say it was one of the handful or two of games the entire generation that really delivered on the promise of the Wii's control scheme.

I agree wii had a drougght starting 2011 but before that there were constant releases of stuff (people ignored.. Like elebits, trauma team, fragile dreams, littke king story etc. Etc.)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I loved the original Red Steel.

Sure it was flawed and the bullshots didn't help but the sequel looked completely uninteresting to me.

This looks better.

I don't understand this.

It looks better because it looks more like every other shooter out there? The shots in the OP look way more generic than what we ended up with.

It's not perfect, but it is very good, and the core combat is better than anything else on the system. It's like, when we first heard about motion controls, this is the kind of experience we imagined and generally didn't get. It's not quite the best shooter on Wii (that would be Goldeneye remake or MP3 depending on how you categorize the latter), but yes it's legitimately good.

I'd recommend playing on hard instead of easy.

I agree wii had a drougght starting 2011 but before that there were constant releases of stuff (people ignored.. Like elebits, trauma team, fragile dreams, littke king story etc. Etc.)

Yeah, I did basically mean from the end of 2006 to the end of 2010. Those last two years were pretty brutal, and that is where it pays to have multiple consoles. The fact that the Wii went two years with very little support is what makes Nintendo's lack of competence in regards to getting lots of Wii U software out there the first year so inexcusable.

Porcile

The version of Red Steel 2 we got was great. Loved the sword controls, and the art-style was fantastic. Totally underrated game

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's not perfect, but it is very good, and the core combat is better than anything else on the system. It's like, when we first heard about motion controls, this is the kind of experience we imagined and generally didn't get. It's not quite the best shooter on Wii (that would be Goldeneye remake or MP3 depending on how you categorize the latter), but yes it's legitimately good.

I'd recommend playing on hard instead of easy.

imagine if the Wii launched with Skyward Sword and Red Steel 2 instead of Twilight Princess and Red Steel 1..

obviously this means motion plus from day one

Wow, these look really nice. I like the western feel that the game ended up with, but man the tone is so much nicer here.

imagine if the Wii launched with Skyward Sword and Red Steel 2 instead of Twilight Princess and Red Steel 1..

obviously this means motion plus from day one

Things would probably be a lot different. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. Probably more games would have taken actual advantage of the motion control.

It's the same thing we will be saying about the Wii U in 4 or 5 years. Hindsight is 20/20.

Mdk7

Too bad we got one of the best Wii games, and probably the best game based on motion controls instead of this uninspired PoS.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Wow, these look really nice. I like the western feel that the game ended up with, but man the tone is so much nicer here.

Things would probably be a lot different. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. Probably more games would have taken actual advantage of the motion control.

It's the same thing we will be saying about the Wii U in 4 or 5 years. Hindsight is 20/20.

I'm pretty sure things would have definitely been better, for supporters of motion control at least. And I completely agree with the Wii U comparison, which is why I remember when it was first announced it felt like Nintendo was repeating some of their past mistakes. With all their emphasis on gameplay and fun over graphics and technology, the thing that held them back on Wii, and will continue to do so on Wii U, is use of novel technology that isn't well understood and takes a long time to develop mature tools for, and not just develop new game designs that take advantage of it. Not exactly the same as "lateral thinking with regards to old tech" if you ask me.

In the case of the DS, the hardware's life was long enough and the install base large enough to justify multiple companies investing in such tools. Low price of development for its time (pre-smartphone era) was also a big motivator.

I still think Wii and Wii U were excellent ideas, but Nintendo should have been more aware of the time and effort it would take to realize their potential from the very start.

LeleSocho

Banned
I don't understand this.

It looks better because it looks more like every other shooter out there? The shots in the OP look way more generic than what we ended up with.

No if it looked like every other shooter out there it would have had a war setting filled marines at every corner.
The original Red Steel had quite the nice setting with (believe it or not) some nice ambients compared to the plethora of other fps we had all the gen even if technically it looked like crap.
I really hope Ubi one day picks again this setting, i don't care if they change the name of the franchise or they put it in another console.

69wpm

This just confirms my suspicion about Ubisofts fucked up development. Canceling a game right before it's completion just screams idiocy. Why not finish the game and put it on the eShop instead of retail at let's say 30 - 40 bucks? The did the same shit with ZombiU, first they make it a 360 title, than port it to the Wii U just to cancel everything and build a new game. WTF Ubisoft?

Heyt

Banned
The version of Red Steel 2 we got was great. Loved the sword controls, and the art-style was fantastic. Totally underrated game

Agreed. RS3 with the same style, boosting 2's strenghths and fixing it mistakes would be amazing.

Top Bottom