• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- First Gameplay Trailer!

kitzkozan

tmacairjordan87 said:
It might even work in your favor. My first one was Oblivion and it not only blew me away but it completely changed my gaming tastes. Went from a lifelong jrpg guy to now hating them (well, ok Oblivion wasn't the sole reason, but it started my transformation).

Then I start browsing here in 07 and everyone tells me Oblivion sucks cause it's not Morrowind. Didn't change the way I feel about Oblivion one bit.

It's not really Oblivion which changed your tastes,but the state of jrpgs (perhaps you didn't notice,but the door was wide open given how stale the genre is).Oblivion was also my first Elder's scroll,but I had already jumped ship to wrpg with KOTOR and Jade empire. :p I don't hate jrpg,but it's for a different audience which I am not part of anymore (except demon's souls which isn't a typical jrpg).

Anyway,Skyrim will be an excellent entry point since it will probably be the most polished in the serie.Polished,better combat/art design/animation and will retain the accessibility of Oblivion.

_Bro

Banned
if you want me to believe then you need to release new footage with the following:

split camera. one with a 360 dev kit and tv with the game running, another camera with direct feed, and another on the controller. make me believe.

also, todd howard must time stamp

The art direction is leaving me speechless. Definitely looks unique, a place worth exploring. Glad to see the team is hard at work making magic.

psykomyko

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Think of the possibility of this and Skyward Sword AND the Last Guardian launching at the same month!

While that would be awesome, at the same time I do not want that. I need all the time in the world to play Skyrim :) Plus The Last Guardian probably won't come out till Jan-March 2012.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I promised myself I wouldn't get hyped after how brutally Oblivion disappointed me, but this looks great.

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Think of the possibility of this and Skyward Sword AND the Last Guardian launching at the same month!

Yeah...doesn't sound like The Last Guardian is releasing in NA in 2011.

Mooreberg

Been playing Oblivion for the first time over the course of the last month and have been enjoying it so I'm definitely looking forward to this. Improved third person camera would be a very nice touch.

Net_Wrecker said:
Yeah...doesn't sound like The Last Guardian is releasing in NA in 2011.
Apparently it will in Japan, and Ico saw a western release before one in Japan, and SotC saw very close releases too. PALand had to wait a while for both though.

szaromir

Banned
DSN2K said:
this is one of best trailers I've ever seen, so well done. Im honestly stunned.
Yeah, definitely. The last time I saw such a good trailer was Mirror's Edge's first in-game trailer.

Minsc

Gold Member
Finally saw the HD version with nice loud sound and bass, and damn! That's how to do a trailer. They really surprised me, looks way better than I expected.

kitzkozan said:
It's not really Oblivion which changed your tastes,but the state of jrpgs (perhaps you didn't notice,but the door was wide open given how stale the genre is).Oblivion was also my first Elder's scroll,but I had already jumped ship to wrpg with KOTOR and Jade empire. :p I don't hate jrpg,but it's for a different audience which I am not part of anymore (except demon's souls which isn't a typical jrpg).

Anyway,Skyrim will be an excellent entry point since it will probably be the most polished in the serie.Polished,better combat/art design/animation and will retain the accessibility of Oblivion.

It was my first western rpg since I had played nothing but consoles my entire life at that point, and I didn't have a xbox 1. I rented and played fable 1 and jade empire not too long after playing oblivion. The state of jrpgs was kind of depressing, but it wasn't doomsday at that point. I hated FF12 and Enchanted Arms, which was the only jrpg on 360 at the time I believe, but I had never ever played anything like Oblivion before.

Some textures look quite bad, but it's nothing the PC version with mods can't fix. And I said goddamn, when the music kicked in.

I missed dragons so much in Oblivion. Didn't feel epic enough without them.

Zeal

Banned
LCfiner said:
once again, with feeling

dlKqN.gif
i seriously spit out my tea with this.

Biggzy

Was their a remixed version of the Morrowind theme tune in there, half way through the trailer. Sorry if its been mentioned already.

Oh yeah if thats the 360 version then i will be very happy since i will prob be buying the 360 version.

Biggzy said:
Was their a remixed version of the Morrowind theme tune in there, half way through the trailer. Sorry if its been mentioned already.

Oh yeah if thats the 360 version then i will be very happy since i will prob be buying the 360 version.
It's a mix of Morrowind's theme, Oblivion's theme, with some chanting in Draconic thrown in as well.

Booshka

Biggzy said:

The part with the Male Chorus is the Morrowind theme. This is amazing, hopefully it will look this good and perform well on 360, I was thinking of selling a kidney for a PC to run this, hopefully I won't have to.

I've played so much of Oblivion and Morrowind, probably over a 1000 hours between both games, can't wait for this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Looks pretty awesome. Can't wait to play this, and I'm so glad I decided to get a rig ready to go for it. November seems so far away...

Biggzy

Blue Ninja said:
It's a mix of Morrowind's theme, Oblivion's theme, with some chanting in Draconic thrown in as well.

Booshka said:
The part with the Male Chorus is the Morrowind theme. This is amazing, hopefully it will look this good and perform well on 360, I was thinking of selling a kidney for a PC to run this, hopefully I won't have to.

I've played so much of Oblivion and Morrowind, probably over a 1000 hours between both games, can't wait for this.

Cheers guys seems like i was right, also like to echo other people thoughts that the music in that trailer was epic.

Booshka know what you mean I sunk hundreds of hours into Oblivion, couldn’t get into Morrowind for some reason but I know for a fact when skyrim comes out my social life is going to take a battering lol.

Lucius86

Banned
kuroshiki said:
Trailer saved by music. It is seriously awesome. Does anyone know whether Bethesda will release soundtrack or not?

Course they will. They did for the previous two Elder Scrolls games.

Orgasming aside...

I'm not trying to start anything, but it's ironic many people go batshit crazy over how good first time footage is of games that turn out to be console footage.

Then when the PC version comes out everyone bashes it.

When it's first shown it's:

"OMFG amazing!#!!!"
"My body is ready HOLY SHIIIIT!#!!""

Then later it's:

"LOL PC master race ftw"
"Textures suck, lol consolez"

Basically what I'm saying is, people DO the consoles look incredible, then afterwards retract and say how much it sucks. =/

Izayoi

Banned
Boy, I can't wait to see what the PC version looks like.

Imagine the mods extending foliage draw distance.

Oh man.

Tr4nce

Oh my fucking god, didn't expect it so soon!!!

ATMOSPHERE, MUSIC, ANIMATION, ART DIRECTION, ENVIRONMENTS

oh holy mother

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Oh holy FUCK. I just watched the trailer. I've spent 300+ hours in Daggerfall, 450+ hours in Morrowind, and 375+ in Oblivion. It is absolutely impossible for me to want a game more than Skyrim. I achieved full tumescence watching the first 30 seconds of that video, then let fly when the music swelled.

To top it all off, 11/11 is my birthday. Scheduling off the month of November tomorrow at work.

bengraven

I'm stoked for the new ambient animations. Oblivion was such a HUGE step into a more immersive world with people sitting on benches and sweeping and etc.

This is an even bigger leap with musicians and people chopping wood and just hanging out on railings. It all looked so much more like a real, living world. I'm so fucking stoked for that.

Looks good. Textures and shadow resolution need a bump, but it should look killer on PC.

And I think that's Dark Brotherhood armor we see with the assassination and the Dwemer ruin.

Top Bottom