• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve starts Team Fortress 2 ARG - [Teaser Comic Unlocked]

Lurking the IRC for this stuff is fun.

Also the amount of shit on this page is just ridiculous. Valve sure do attract the smarty pants. http://xkeeper.net/private/portal/tf3.php

jph139

The absolute efficiency amazes me. I wouldn't even be able to figure out where to start with this, but they've already made huge headway and cracked a huge chunk of it. Amazing what people on the internet can do given the right motivation (read: hats).

This has to be the most elaborate update to a freaking game EVER!

Gah dam. Haven't played TF2 in a while, but just watching all the shit Valve does to the game is more entertaining than a lot of AAA games.

Sniper's codes are looking like they're a MIDI file.

Basically, each class says a "joke" in text chat when a person with the capacitor high fives. Each "joke" is actually lines of binary, with each word in the joke referencing a byte of binary, and the year of the joke is the order for the bytes.

A joke looks like this
Did you hear the story from 1304 where Archimedes, Archimedes, Enormous Haunted Eyeball, Dr. Whoa, Familiar Fez, Dispenser, Private Eye, Direct Hit, and the Administrator walked into a bar?

It always starts with a year and always ends with the Administrator. Each person has a fairly unique year associated with them (but it does repeat for a number of people)

So far Spy's has been cracked. It was a zip file, but it required a password. Engineer's is straight source code that does some simple math, but it's not fully cracked. Sniper's is a Midi. Demoman is a .txt file. There's also a PNG in there, and an EXE, I don't remember the classes they go with.

This is basically the Banana ARG of last month on steroids. It doesn't help High Fives and Capacitors are rare items.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This has to just have been an ARG started this past December that they just decided to retcon the previous unbound hints to, right? Actually having this prepared since 2009 would be nuts.

I think the Halloween stuff is simply retconned into this ARG, and the robot mode has been simply been stuck in Valve time and was supposed to come out in 2010, and 'Medieval Mode' was not the mode valve was hinting at originally.

Ned, where is this Engineer C++ code I saw mentioned on reddit. I want to give it a glance so I too can go "Welp, I got nothing"

Edit: Oh, found it, I see, they are still missing chunks of code. I can fill a small bit in, but I am sure almost anyone can.

Code:
#include <iostream> 
using namespace std;

void Q ( int val)
{
..............., val + 'a' -1);..
}

.......................Valve = 3;
...for (int i = 0; i <5991; i++)
{........................... 333 );
...Valve += 12345;
...Q( Valve % 18334 .Ç'wí&#8211;alv.... 3;
...Q( Valve - 6....);
...for (...t m = 0; m < 19....+ )
....Val.........int OSW= 4.....+ 1;
...Q ( OSW );...OSW *= 2;
...Q ( OSW + 1 );
...Q ( OSW+ 2 );
...int l...45;
......Q.( l / 3 );
...Val......;
...int
no.................. 3;
 ...Q ( nott.........}
.................&#8240;&#339;

Ok, so it looks like it is a bunch of for loops calling a function Q, which likely ether calculates a value or spits out a message.

My bet, the code produces the key needed for the spy's keepass file.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Basically, each class says a "joke" in text chat when a person with the capacitor high fives. Each "joke" is actually lines of binary, with each word in the joke referencing a byte of binary, and the year of the joke is the order for the bytes.

A joke looks like this

It always starts with a year and always ends with the Administrator. Each person has a fairly unique year associated with them (but it does repeat for a number of people)

So far Spy's has been cracked. It was a zip file, but it required a password. Engineer's is straight source code that does some simple math, but it's not fully cracked. Sniper's is a Midi. Demoman is a .txt file. There's also a PNG in there, and an EXE, I don't remember the classes they go with.

This is basically the Banana ARG of last month on steroids. It doesn't help High Fives and Capacitors are rare items.
I don't quite follow: where does the zip file proper come from?

What if... what if all the places that Red and Blu have been fighting over for all these years have been secret facilities designed to record combat data and generate resources for the Gray team robots. Factories, trainyards, secret labs, briefcases full of intelligence, gravel pits, historic landmarks. The reason the Administrator has been playing both sides has been so she can create the ultimate army, and now the robots are here to replace us. We've been fueling our own demise.

Dmax3901

A joke looks like this

Holy shit.

Am I foolish in thinking this could be something bigger than TF2? The Pyromania update has been out for like a month right? It just seems like something they could save for later unless it's...

I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I think the Halloween stuff is simply retconned into this ARG, and the robot mode has been simply been stuck in Valve time and was supposed to come out in 2010, and 'Medieval Mode' was not the mode valve was hinting at originally.

Ned, where is this Engineer C++ code I saw mentioned on reddit. I want to give it a glance so I too can go "Welp, I got nothing"

Website link above ^

http://xkeeper.net/private/portal/tf3.php#deco

Not complete yet obviously.

Code:
·include <iostream······ng names
pace ·······oid Q ( int val ).··
·············, val + 'a' - 1);..
}.······················Valve = 
3;...for (int i = 0; i < 5991; i
++··························· 33
3 );...Valve += 12345;...Q( Valv
e % 18334 .Ç'wí–alv···· 3;...Q( 
Valve - 6····);...for (···t m = 
0; m < 19····+ )....Val·········
int OSW = 4·····+ 1;...Q ( OSW )
;...OSW *= 2;...Q ( OSW + 1 );..
.Q ( OSW + 2 );...int l···45;...
...Q·( l / 3 );...Val······;...i
nt no·················· 3; ...Q 
( nott·······..}....············
·‰œ

Foundry's fires have gone out, its smokestacks aren't smoking, and the smelting has stopped.

Whatever metal things they were making... are completed.

(note that Foundry came with a Terminator reference achievement if you go knocked into the metal)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
TF2's lore is great fun to follow. Pity I don't care for the game itself. ;)

Finally, Team Green.

The Way It's Meant to be Played™.

HL3_logo.svg

vSUpw.jpg

Gray Mann

G. Mann

G-Man

Haha, precisely what I wanted to post.

If this turns into an ARG I'm fucked

Everything from Valve is an ARG. :p

Everyone gets three codes. Only one person needs the capacitor and/or the high five (either can start the taunt).

Go to (quote to see) and join BLU team, they'll help you from there. They have people set up with capacitors and high five taunts, so you don't need either to get your codes.

We still need a lot of codes though, right now Engy is getting closest, any little bit helps.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, this is what got from the function Q

Code:
void Q ( int val )
{
xxxxxxxxxxxxx, val + 'a' - 1);
}

For the Q function there are 13 characters missing, but it has a parenthesis near the end, meaning Q is calling a function, and there is a comma in the start, meaning the function has at least two values passed into it. So, can anyone think of a function that would have two values passed into it, and print something to the console, where the second value is the value being printed?

Jintor

Holy shit.

Am I foolish in thinking this could be something bigger than TF2? The Pyromania update has been out for like a month right? It just seems like something they could save for later unless it's...

I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Never get your hopes up. Just enjoy the ride.

Dmax3901

Everyone gets three codes. Only one person needs the capacitor and/or the high five (either can start the taunt).

Go to (quote to see) and join BLU team, they'll help you from there. They have people set up with capacitors and high five taunts, so you don't need either to get your codes.

We still need a lot of codes though, right now Engy is getting closest, any little bit helps.

Done.

Top Bottom