• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 3 new tech demo: Samaritan

Suairyu

Banned
Maybe I'm being blind, but is the point of the MSAA comparisons to say they can produce straight edges without MSAA? Because I'm struggling to see differences between the two.

Ogs said:
Looks goods, shame nobody will attempt to make a game with that level of graphics.
Nobody could. Not even on PC. This is a tech demo. You would not be able to get a playable game out of it on even the top-of-the-line rigs right now.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Also judging by reactions in this thread, we don't need next-gen, people don't see much difference between wooden current-gen faces and the guy on these screens. Diminishing returns indeed. Eveybody notices bokeh though, lol.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
LiquidMetal14 said:
I assume this can run on current DX11 HW? As Dennis said, some of it looks nice, the rest is ok.
Yeah at 2-3fps.

szaromir

Banned
godhandiscen said:
This is a shot from the original demo of UE3.

5 years later and games came close, but still don't have anywhere near that detail during gameplay. Maybe if Epic ported a Gears 2 or 3 to the PC, they could really show what UE3 is capable of.
Aside from texture resolution Gears 3 looks better.

I'd like these shots to be a base for their new IP.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Confidence Man said:
Still waiting for a UE3 game to look as good as that first tech demo they showed.

Common, there are games that look better on PC hardware.

iavi

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Can't wait for none or these features to appear on ps3 ue3 games : /

I highly doubt any of these features are appearing on any of of the current crop of consoles.

Yoboman

godhandiscen said:
This is a shot from the original demo of UE3.

unreal-engine-3-project-untitled-20050418001052671.jpg

5 years later and games came close, but still don't have anywhere near that detail during gameplay. Maybe if Epic ported a Gears 2 or 3 to the PC, they could really show what UE3 is capable of.
There are games out there I'd argue look better than that

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
godhandiscen said:
Yeah at 2-3fps.
I guess the better question would be, when is the HW that can run this at great frame rates hitting? I would assume that we would get HW that can run this at least in the 60fps range and not choppy 20-40 fps right? A card that can handle these things are good 60fps will be my next upgrade. Until then, everything I've seen looks more than doable on my current GPU.

I don't want to buy a new GPU that wouldn't handle this at great FR's.

mclaren777

Arcipello said:
some very pretty shots here, but im starting to think DICE might have stole their thunder :)
Other companies stole Epic's thunder long before BF3 was shown.

UE3 rarely looks good or impressive.

antiloop

szaromir said:
Aside from texture resolution Gears 3 looks better.

I'd like these shots to be a base for their new IP.

What's good in that shot other than the texture resolution. Shaders?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoboman said:
There are games out there I'd argue look better than that
On UE3?

Yoboman

DarknessTear said:
Namely Castlevania.. but that doesn't use UE3 does it?
Not sure... Taken as a view of what's possible on current gen I think that photo is fairly accurate. And actually quite a bit behind what a lot have achieved with shaders, lighting and post processing effects.

StuBurns

Banned
Freedom = $1.05 said:
The console versions of Bulletstorm alone looks better than that particular screen. God that game looks nice.
I think Bulletstorm looks pretty terrible, maybe it's awesome on PC though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah Mirrors Edge is definitely one of the games. Off topic time AND serious question:

Can my computer run Mirrors Edge and make it look like the screenshots above with the following:

win 7
i5 2.67 GHz
Gtx 275

:/?

Yoboman

Yoshichan said:
Yeah Mirrors Edge is definitely one of the games. Off topic time AND serious question:

Can my computer run Mirrors Edge and make it look like the screenshots above with the following:

win 7
i5 2.67 GHz
Gtx 275

:/?
Yeah easily

Yoshichan

Yoboman said:
Yeah easily
Wow if true...

Do I need mods or anything? Because sweet mother mercy, I've only played it on PS3 and it looks so different.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yoshichan said:
Wow if true...

Do I need mods or anything? Because sweet mother mercy, I've only played it on PS3 and it looks so different.
Nope. The game is super optimized and looks just like that as is.

Yoshichan

Nirolak said:
Nope. The game is super optimized and looks just like that as is.
Unbe-fucking-lieavable.

Thank you!

edit: hahaahaha, found it for 6 bucks... BOUGHT!

subversus said:
Also judging by reactions in this thread, we don't need next-gen, people don't see much difference between wooden current-gen faces and the guy on these screens. Diminishing returns indeed. Eveybody notices bokeh though, lol.

We haven't really seen this face in motion though.

I can see that this engine and Frostbite2 are aiming for different things though. Perhaps I care more for FB2's goals. I don't know. I definitely wouldn't say 'they're not even close' or anything like that.

tass0

Banned
Chinner said:
lol, so blatantly inspired by blade runner.

Yeah, I was thinking "man, this enviroment totally reminds me of Blade Runner", then I saw the following picture:

msaa_02_logo_textz8gt.jpg

That's fucking Deckard, man.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
StuBurns said:
Is there a good reason why this isn't called Unreal Engine 4?
They're already started building Unreal Engine 4 around software rendering and this way they can just keep selling people Unreal Engine 3 licenses with the promise of "it will also work next generation and look like this."

StuBurns

Banned
Nirolak said:
They're already started building Unreal Engine 4 around software rendering and this way they can just keep selling people Unreal Engine 3 licenses with the promise of "it will also work next generation and look like this."
Is it a long way off? Because I don't believe games are going to look this good in the next ten years.

EDIT: Maybe ten is going too far.

vocab

Yoshichan said:
Wow if true...

You can max it out no problem. Your PC isn't as shitty as you make it seem.

Arcipello

Yoshichan said:
Wow if true...

mo mods required.... it runs REALLY well on PC hardware... i maxed out all the settings and resolutions and still got over 60fps

subversus said:
Common, there are games that look better on PC hardware.

I'm thinking specifically of the indoor stuff they showed, with the dynamic lighting and soft shadows. I can't think of any UE3 games that actually use it to that effect.

Arcipello

tass0 said:
Yeah, I was thinking "man, this enviroment totally reminds me of Blade Runner", then I saw the following picture:

msaa_02_logo_textz8gt.jpg

That's fucking Deckard, man.

honestly i have a really good eye for graphical effect but i seriously cant see any difference between these two shots!

edit : i cant only see a difference on the edges of his cigarette.... might aswell turn MSAA off in that case

Arcipello said:
honestly i have a really good eye for graphical effect but i seriously cant see any difference between these two shots!

edit : i cant only see a difference on the edges of his cigarette.... might aswell turn MSAA off in that case

Perhaps it's to highlight the fact that it isn't needed as much with all the added detail and effects.

Anyway, this looks very impressive and further justifies being a PC gamer for the next few years.

FoxSpirit

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Ah yes, the old "UE3 looks bad" truism, one of the most popular on NeoGAF.

But it's true, Arkham Asylum gave me eye cancer!!

Arcipello said:

Well, if you take a 1080p pic and scale it down like that you of course can't tell the effects of MSAA anymore... you are basically using SSAA. So don't worry, your eyes are alright :p

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Perhaps it's to highlight the fact that it isn't needed as much with all the added detail and effects.

Anyway, this looks very impressive and further justifies being a PC gamer for the next few years.

If they bother to actually make a game like this.

Top Bottom