• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Mass Effect 3 isn't a terrific game spoiled by a bad ending. It is a mediocre at best game that could only be saved by a satisfying endgame.

FAIL

Yep agree with this 100% loved that game!

I thought it was a beautiful game, but it was less of a platformer and felt more like a racing or sonic game in time trial mode. You basically steer left or right and if you mess up you just keep on driving. With the only challenge being the amount of time you give yourself to beat the game. I am always curious what draws people to the gameplay?

Journey being referred to as a life-affirming experience reeks of pomposity.
(didn't do it for me, though I can easily understand why others may have enjoyed it)

qq more

Agree 100%

The only reason people thought they were good was because Sega fanboys needed a mascot to rival Mario, no matter how good the content of the games were.
Oh, really?

I played BOTH Sonic and Mario as a kid and never gave two shits about the rivalry. What does that tell you?

INB4NOSTALGIA

Emitan

Agree 100%

The only reason people thought they were good was because Sega fanboys needed a mascot to rival Mario, no matter how good the content of the games were.

Wait, what?

I swear people read the thread title and think they should just make up the fucking most dumb posts to ever grace the internet.

Mass Effect 3 isn't a terrific game spoiled by a bad ending. It is a mediocre at best game that could only be saved by a satisfying endgame.

FAIL

Completely agreed. People who want to experience the Mass Effect series should definitely play 3, just because it will make 2 look infinitely better

IpsoFacto

Here's a highly controversial opinion from moi:

I don't think Golden Axe: Beast Rider deversed all the flak it got.

There. I said it. Take me behind the toolshed and put a bullet between my eyes if you want, because I simply don't care.

ryushe

Wait, what?

I swear people read the thread title and think they should just make up the fucking most dumb posts to ever grace the internet.
Nope. Just illustrating that Sonic games were and has always been crap and has only gotten as far as it has purely on the fact that those games were Mario's only "real" rival.

qq more

Nope. Just illustrating that Sonic games were and has always been crap and has only gotten as far as it has purely on the fact that those games were Mario's only "real" rival.

So basically, you actually think your opinion is fact?

Holy shit.

Emitan

So what you're saying is it's impossible to enjoy a Sonic game for it's own merits?

Kusagari

This doesn't even make sense. You know that lots of companies tried making a rival to Mario right? If people didn't like Sonic games they would have failed like all the rest.

In fact Sega made Sonic because they had already failed before with Alex Kidd.

So basically, you actually think your opinion is fact?

Holy shit.

I agree with him though. I can go back now to any Mario game I haven't played and enjoy it (And I'm not any kind of a Nintendo fanboy, I've never owned a N64, a Gamecube or a Wii) but any Sonic game I can only tolerate for maybe two levels.

I can totally see someone arguing the point that those game were never good, people just convinced themselves that they were good because that was the exclusive thing they had.

Emitan

I agree with him though. I can go back now to any Mario game I haven't played and enjoy it (And I'm not any kind of a Nintendo fanboy, I've never owned a N64, a Gamecube or a Wii) but any Sonic game I can only tolerate for maybe two levels.

So? I don't find the Megaman games fun at all, but it doesn't mean they're shit.

qq more

I have nothing wrong with people not liking Sonic (or Mario). But I certainly don't like how he seriously believes people ONLY liked Sonic just because of the rivalry. He also acted his opinion of the games are fact.

ryushe

Because we enjoy them?
*shrug*

I'm not usually the kind of person to say something like that either, as I can find at least one thing that might make people like a given game, even if I find that title horrendous, but It astonishes me to my very core that Sonic games existed as long as they have.

I literally cannot understand it.

rCIZZLE

If SF 3rd Strike is soooooo much better than modern fighters how come nobody plays it even for $15?

Goldeneye is terrible when compared to most other shooters from that time and doesn't deserve to be remembered as a "great shooter". CS, UT99, Q2, Q3A, RB6, and RB6:RS all hold up way better.

Everything about Skyrim is boring.

-PXG-

Gonna say it again:

Darksiders is a terrible game and you should feel terrible for liking it and/or buying and/or owning it.

Fuck me. Why in God's name is it getting a sequel?

Volcynika

Gonna say it again:

Darksiders is a terrible game and you should feel terrible for liking it and/or buying and/or owning it.

I had a blast with it and bought it for multiple friends. Can't wait for the sequel! :D

Derrick01

Banned
Really? Worse than ME2?

*heading to ME3 spoiler thread to see how bad it really is*

Don't listen. ME2 is one of the worst "AAA" games of this generation and by far the worst in the trilogy. I mean unless you like running pointless errands for your dysfunctional crew with daddy issues.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Gonna say it again:

I don't think it's terrible, but it was admittedly kinda eh. And good lord is the character design disgusting.

I feel like I might get jumped on by many people for this post since there seems to be a pretty large MGS fanbase here, but oh well. Here it goes!

Metal Gear Solid is the most overrated video game franchise of all time and is a prime example of bad videogame storytelling. The fact that it primarily uses cutscenes to tell its story means it has already failed. Very seldom do you actually feel like you're involved or interacting with the story, 99% of the time all of the cool and interesting shit that happens occurs during a cutscene. Basically, the story does nothing that plays to the biggest strength of video games: interactivity. This applies to any other video game that does the same, but MGS prides itself on its story so this is why I'm singling it out.

The story itself is not spectacular either. It's typical Japanese anime bullshit and is basically convoluted for the sake of being convoluted. The characters are flat and boring and much of the dialogue is long-winded and generally uninteresting. There is no subtlety. Talk of things like nanomachines and PMCs are also extremely ham-fisted and eye-roll inducing. The actual gameplay is fun, but it's not enough to make me forget the shortcomings of the series.

I think the fact that there are many people who consider the Metal Gear Solid series to be among the best says a lot about our industry and the garbage that we still accept as good or even great. I imagine 10-20 years from now, we will look back on games like Metal Gear Solid for measure of how far we've come.

All of that being said however, I am still a fan of the series. They are fun games and I enjoy the story for different reasons than most, in that I mean that I find it completely ridiculous and I enjoy laughing at it.

This is true.

Sakamoto stomped on my chia pet.

I'm glad that at least one person agree's with me. The worst part about it is, that I WANT Sony and Microsoft to assert their market dominance over the game industry and take Nintendo down, but I know it won't happen because of the way Nintendo is so evil they'll always weasel their way out of it.

Top Bottom