• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtue's Last Reward SPOILER Thread

grim-tales

You can get a 2011 one for £65 or something on Amazon so may get that. Are you sure they're region free so I can patch the game and play things from other regions? *cough* :)

They took extensive care to not allow mirrors in the "experiment" ..the only problem is the garden where sigma should have been able to see himself ( and he didn't ).

Even then, there's still the fact that they made sure that the only time he had to look at the water was when everything was dark and he'd have much more trouble seeing his reflection and also his full attention would be on the puzzle.

grim-tales

Replaying Sigma's ending now and got to the part where Luna tells Sigma the Bluebird story.
She says she thinks Sigma might be Tytyl (sp?) - the brother in the story.
I kind of get that it seems to be an analogy for what the hell is going on in the series - the 'old lady' = Akane and the bluebird is about stopping Radical 6 (?)
I can't see Sigma being Brother though, he's already Zero (and Alice says Brother was a really old man in 2028 ) so that doesnt make sense. If Sigma is the 'brother' maybe its saying Sigma and Phi are secretly related.
What if Quark was planted by Akane as part of her plans? Not impossible, I doubt Tenmyouji finding Quark in a post apocolyptic world was coincidence.

Even then, there's still the fact that they made sure that the only time he had to look at the water was when everything was dark and he'd have much more trouble seeing his reflection and also his full attention would be on the puzzle.

Oh rihgt , when he looks at the water the garden is in "night"- mode so you can see the stars ...i have no more problem with this game then ( that was the only thing that bugued me , really )

grim-tales

I also noticed in one scene Dio says something like "What's wrong Sigma? Did you make a pass at Luna and get shot down?"
You know, I have a feeling he did (the original human Luna that is), maybe thats why he lost his arms... then theres all the reasons he gives for ending up in the game which start to come true... maybe theyre important for the next game.
Remember Knox's 10 commandments? Maybe Brother is closer than we think, just like Zero winds up being one of the gang. Remember what GOLM said "Right in the middle of..."
I read a theory that Phi is Brother (which is out there and almost certainly wrong, but we know nothing about her so who knows?)

Just finished it a couple of days ago. Woah. I'm still not sure everything has sunk in (actually I'm sure I didn't quite grasp the A, B, C, D, E explanation because what the hell) but it was an amazing ride. I still prefer 999 due to the tension and even more mind-blowing finale. Puzzles were easier and better in VLR though.

Stuff I guessed pretty early on :
- on the moon
- in the future
- Tenmyouji is Junpei
- old woman is Akane (don't really know why but I suspected so when she first appears, maybe the dress)

Stuff I got confused by/didn't like :
- I mixed up Lotus and Alice until midway through my game when the secret file talking about 999 veterans came up
- Clover's ugly outfit and shitty personality (I don't remember her being so bratty in 999)
- Quark being useless with an ugly hat
- 3D animations of the characters
- Dio's completely transparent agenda (got his true ending first)
- Alice pretty much being a constant bitch. I was happy when she died (lots of happy moments were had)
- Phi. Who the hell is Phi. I like Phi. I want to know dammit
- "donno", what the hell is this blasphemy.

Oh and I was so excited to finally play (the game was pretty much my incentive to get a Vita) and SO happy to see I just had to enter the safe codes and not replay the whole puzzles that I didn't actually processed the fact that you could jump.

Yes, I did play about 16 endings from start to finish, skipping the dialogue while making myself coffee, but painfully inputing each code in each safe and CHECKING THE FRACKING INFIRMARY/LOUNGE/AND CREW QUARTERS in (almost) every fracking path before I realized you could jump (well actually had to at some point). Got it on Phi's end. Yes, I'm an idiot.

Can't wait for the sequel.

grim-tales

Agreed about Phi - who the hell is Phi?! WTF damnit.
Agree Quark was useless
Dio was just an evil bastard (though I thought he was quite cool initially), no other ambiguity to him which was disappointing.
Though Dio tells Sigma he was there to stop Zero's AB plan, or something - what he doesn't know is that Akane/Zero were in on it right? They needed Dio there didnt they?

CassSept

After watching Quark losing his mind for the n-th time I really grew to loathe, LOATHE his character.

He is nothing more than a plot device and a terrible, annoying one at that. People say Lotus/Alice are bad? Quark is far far FAR worse. Miserable little brat.

grim-tales

I thought Quark would be Dio's son (?) or something as he was babbling about freeing his soul and stuff, but there's no more to his character than "Quark is missing/sick Oh Noes! Let's look for him". Yawn.

But I did read this theory elsewhere.
What if Quark is Akane's son or something? What if she became pregnant on purpose and then somehow sent Quark to the future so Junpei would have something to live for in the world post Rad-6.

Jisgsaw

Correct me if I'm wrong,
but wasn't it established that Junpei and Akane never saw each other after the events of the first game? I mean, it'd be pretty cute but also impossible as far as I understand it.

e: i should probably replay 999 and vlr soon tbh

Well, with physical time travel now in the equation, everything's possible.
Heck, even the fact Brother is old in 2028 wouldn't mean it can't be Sigma or anybody else.

Was the last scene of the true ending every adressed actually?
I mean, for me, Akane basically says
the player is now really in the game, as a specific character
(which is actually what I expected in 999's true ending, and was apparently a twist in Ever17 from what I was told).
Which would mean the poor K (or someone else) would be kicked out of existence...

Rhaa, I need that last part of the trilogy, there are too many open questions.

peakish

I finished the game a few hours ago and thought it was pretty great. Not as intense as 999, which I'll give my favours to, but interesting in other ways. The jumping between timelines in particular (although it was a bit much by the end, I finished after ~35 hours but had figured most things out by ~25h -- I appreciate how many branches the game explored but in the end it impacted the pacing a bit too much).

Briefly browsing through some pages of this thread it seems like many others shared my suspicions about Junpei and Akane (although I certainly didn't figure it out from the start, it came to me right before the reveals which worked really well: I guess I picked good paths through the game). The reveal of old Sigma was awesome, but more than that I really like how bittersweet the ending was. I want to symphatise with Akane but the writers don't hesitate to show how her actions affect the lives of many others, even some that she know personally, negatively. For a sequel I'd probably most want to see how she personally justifies these sacrifices for the greater good, because that's all been in the background so far. I symphatise with a young girl doing what she can to save herself, but for a grown woman with the threat being less personal and more cataclysmic I want to dive deep into this. If the third game tackles this in a good way I'll be pleased as punch.

I'll admit that I'm a bit disappointed in that the talk about quantum mechanical phenomena such as wave functions weren't that well used in this after all. With it ending with time travel hijinks rather than the to me interesting philosophical questions about what an "observation" really is for collapsing the wave function of something (in this case perhaps an entire isolated facility) into an actual event. In the end this time travel business leaves some more threads open for a sequel which is cool, but I can't help but wonder.

I'll also admit that this game being set up for a direct sequel will make me a bit less interested in that, since the lure for me of both this and 999 was that they seemed really uncertain, where I (at least initially) had no idea about what was happening or why. If a sequel really goes into the Nevada test site business that's already given away some of the factors involved in the game, such as time travel, the presence of Sigma and perhaps Phi, and what the overall goal is.

Maybe this will be set up in such a way as to surpass my expectations, the writers definitely are more than capable of that. Minor issues aside, mostly with how long the endgame was, I liked VLR a lot: Hopefully the team can convince investors to create a sequel :)

Just finished this game. Read through this whole thread. ZE3 can't come soon enough. Random thoughts and theories:

Quark... maybe a failed Left clone? That would explain why he was abandoned for Tenmyouji to find. He said he was unusually small, so maybe the Myrmidons threw him out for being a runt. Or, maybe he's the result of Dio's "accident" involving a woman. Maybe the woman was Diana! That would explain why he votes to Ally with her.

Dio's lies are pretty interesting in hindsight. He lies about having a little brother who was dying, right? Maybe he was thinking about Left when he made that one up. And when he says he was in a circus, well, maybe he wasn't being completely dishonest. It would explain his clothes, and I do remember a reference to circuses or entertainers or something in Quark's letter. Plus, it's a good cover for him in case anyone asks what he does. He can't go around saying he works for the organization that released Radical-6.

Right, wasn't there some news about Uchikoshi being unable to make ZE3? I remember hearing about it a long time ago but it never came up in this thread.

LiK

Right, wasn't there some news about Uchikoshi being unable to make ZE3? I remember hearing about it a long time ago but it never came up in this thread.
there was a separate thread but it's now locked. But yea, no funding by Spike Chunsoft to make the third cuz VLR didn't sell well in Japan. We got Operation Bluebird which is a fan movement to have it greenlit.

Well that's sure a bummer. At least I wasn't waiting as long as you guys!

I wonder... is the Memo feature a part of Sigma's cybernetic eye? Maybe he can remember things so well because his eye records all that stuff! Though then it would be an even bigger question as to why he never noticed it. Does the VITA version even have a Memo feature?

CassSept

I wonder... is the Memo feature a part of Sigma's cybernetic eye? Maybe he can remember things so well because his eye records all that stuff! Though then it would be an even bigger question as to why he never noticed it. Does the VITA version even have a Memo feature?

Iirc that's kinda how it was designed, the memo mode is supposed to be his cybernetic eye, though I'm not 100% sure.

Why he never noticed it? Well, that's a whole other can of worms. Why had he never touched his face? How did he never notice his skin was wrinkled outside of arms? Why he never noticed something is off? Etc etc...

BlackJace

Holy shit.

These motherfuckers were on the MOON. It's pretty crazy how the end of 999 was to be followed up by the freakin apocalypse.

Holding out for Volume 3. Thank you, AkAys.

sub_o

Holy shit.

These motherfuckers were on the MOON. It's pretty crazy how the end of 999 was to be followed up by the freakin apocalypse.

Holding out for Volume 3. Thank you, AkAys.

I hate to spoil it for you but...

There might not be VLR 3, the future is kinda grim, it seems like no company wanna fund the game for now

Bricky

I hate to spoil it for you but...

There might not be VLR 3, the future is kinda grim, it seems like no company wanna fund the game for now

I can't help but feel a little tiny bit of hope every time a thread related to the franchise gets bumped to the frontpage even though I know it will only dissapoint me since any actual news would get its own topic.

*Deep sigh*

Well, at least I now know what kind of emotions fanbases the likes of Shenmue go through. I'm not sure if I am able to take it for more than ten years though.

I'm a Skies of Arcadia fan. Eventually, you just kind of give up. If they were to make a sequel now, it'd probably be terrible, so the best we can hope for is cameos in other games.

RiggyRob

So, what's the reason for this game being called Virtue's Last Reward? With 999 it's fairly self-explanatory, but I can't figure out what the title of this game means.

CassSept

So, what's the reason for this game being called Virtue's Last Reward? With 999 it's fairly self-explanatory, but I can't figure out what the title of this game means.

It's weird for those with English as a second language (such as myself), but I believe the title was chosen because the original title had a double meaning (direct translation was "Good People Die", can't remember the other) and Aksys wanted to preserve it. As such, Virtue's Last Reward can mean both:

a) Virtue is Last Reward - self-explanatory I think
b) Virtue's Last Reward - as in, what in the end is the reward of being virtuous, that is death (as in Nonary Game more often than not being virtuous is actually detrimental).

At least that's how I understand that phrase. As a plus, it sounds cool.

Top Bottom