• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
AnEternalEnigma said:
Carroll's deal with the Twins is a 2-year, $7 million deal. He will be Minnesota's everyday SS. Nishioka moves back to 2B.
Wow. That was quick.

I already love the new Terry Ryan era.

h3ro

Those Marlins unis look like ass. Someone shop an alligator onto them so I can make a BTTF2 reference.

Regarding the Phils newest toy, that much money for a mediocre closer is nuts. The closer market its ridiculous.

No more papelboner. How do you feel about this, Sanjuro?

bv3dn.jpg

Also, all praise due to Mo...

bluemax

Banned
Wow I guess the Phillies didn't want us to forget how stupid of an organization they can be. Man Ryan Howard and Papelbon are gonna be such albatrosses.

bluemax

Banned
Sharp said:
Why? Let's say Pujols has an average to down year and Reyes has a monster year and they accumulate 16 WAR. By Pythag the Marlins were 80 game winners and HanRam / Sanchez were worth a combined 4.3 WAR (damn, HanRam suuuuucked) so let's say that somehow they do a straight swap in production (I don't know where HanRam goes in this hypothetical scenario so maybe that's unfair, but whatever). That's a neat 11.7 WAR so if we play fast and loose with the numbers that means roughly a 92 win season. You really don't think the Braves can win 93 games next year? Like, there's not even a chance? They won 89 this year with an absolutely epic collapse down the stretch. Admittedly they vastly outperformed their Pythag though...

This is some Bill Bavasi arithmetic. You can't use WAR this way.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Someone on a Twins blog I frequent posted a great comparison between Jamey Carroll & Derek Jeter.

Derek Jeter: born June 26, 1974.
Jamey Carroll: born February 18, 1974

Jeter: 0.7 rWAR last year, 1.3 rWAR year before.
Carroll: 1.8 rWAR last year, 3.1 rWAR year before.

Jeter: $16,000,000
Carroll: $3,500,000

Teehee.

Carroll was really solid for the Dodgers. Considering how cheap they are going to have to be until the new ownership group comes in, I'm surprised they let him go.

Mets are going to have alot of closers to choose from in the market. They might target Nathan since he likes NY and is open to a 1-year incentive deal to boost his value, but it makes sense to wait everyone out and sign the last guy for cheap.

Joe

Lambtron said:
Someone on a Twins blog I frequent posted a great comparison between Jamey Carroll & Derek Jeter.

Teehee.
Nationwide merchandise and advertising market says "who the fuck is Jamey Carroll????"

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Frankman said:
Mets are going to have alot of closers to choose from in the market. They might target Nathan since he likes NY and is open to a 1-year incentive deal to boost his value, but it makes sense to wait everyone out and sign the last guy for cheap.
I'm guessing Nathan is the one Twins free agent they re-sign. I think he'll retire a Twin.

Joe said:
Nationwide merchandise and advertising market says "who the fuck is Jamey Carroll????"
K.

clemenx

Banned
I hate the Marlins (all the division, really) but with the Mets out of the picture for at least a couple of years I'd love to see that, I really do.

Hell, let the Nats sign Fielder too. NL East baby.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
clemenx said:
I hate the Marlins (all the division, really) but with the Mets out of the picture for at least a couple of years I'd love to see that, I really do.

i miss the expos and the broke marlins, at least we still have the shitty mets.

clemenx said:

Nope, Fielder will play 2nd base for the Marlins.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Really hoping the Marlins literally land everybody, Reyes, Pujols, Darvish, Wilson, Cespedes etc and then do an awesome introduction Miami style just like the Heat did, with the proclamation of winning 5 World Series and such.

Baseball needs some new blood when it comes to mega heels. There needs to be a new target to hate along the same levels as the Yankees and Red Sox.

darkside31337 said:
Really hoping the Marlins literally land everybody, Reyes, Pujols, Darvish, Wilson, Cespedes etc and then do an awesome introduction Miami style just like the Heat did, with the proclamation of winning 5 World Series and such.

Baseball needs some new blood when it comes to mega heels. There needs to be a new target to hate along the same levels as the Yankees and Red Sox.
Well I hate the new unis, that's a start.

hemtae

darkside31337 said:

Hey now, the Phillies are spending an obscene amount of money also.

Also I remember reading something about how the Marlins have squeezed a good amount of success into their short history.

Any world in which the Marlins are truly, sustainably great is one I don't want to live in.

Firesaling-ass motherfuckers.
That said, it would be some wild shit if the Marlfish were to land those big FAs like that. The Mets would be fucked essentially for the rest of the decade.

Also, hey guys...spent way too long out of this thread and off of this board.

captmcblack said:
Any world in which the Marlins are truly, sustainably great is one I don't want to live in.

Firesaling-ass motherfuckers.
That said, it would be some wild shit if the Marlfish were to land those big FAs like that. The Mets would be fucked essentially for the rest of the decade.

Also, hey guys...spent way too long out of this thread and off of this board.
I never want to see Loria smile for what he did to the Expos and the Miami taxpayers.

The Frankman said:
Your post history should be contracted.

I tried contacting you mofo! We need to hang out!

My life has been filled with fail and busy for like, the last 2 months.

No basketball season has also destroyed me.

But hell yes, let's hang out. Wings, pepsi, football, manly tears over lack of Knicks basketball for 12 months?

captmcblack said:
My life has been filled with fail and busy for like, the last 2 months.

No basketball season has also destroyed me.

But hell yes, let's hang out. Wings, pepsi, football, manly tears over lack of Knicks basketball for 12 months?
That sounds like a plan! We should invite some Mets of Yankee-GAFfers and talk about how much the Mets will suck!

h3ro

captmcblack said:
Amare's back better be ready to go after all this lockout crap. I miss Clyde telling me about stylin' and profilin'.

Lambtron said:

Teehee.

hmmm..... good attempt at comparing a player on the twilight of his career versus.... a (admittedly)very nice bench player.

The Frankman said:
I miss this more:

Clyde-Frazier-with-his-customary-subtle-approach.png
Lol dem suits! The man knows wtf his doing by wearing these. And that meet-up sounds cool. We can talk about Alderson's Plan to make the New York Mets a somewhat competitve team in the National League East.

McNei1y said:
I'm shocked that the Marlins offered contracts to both. I see none of them happening though.
You mean you hope none of them happen. The Reyes deal I've heard is almost irresistable to someone with as large an injury history as him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom