• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 Demo Impressions

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Bumhead

Banned
I've bought all but one version each of both PES and FIFA since 1996.

Really hoping to enjoy this demo because I thought FIFA 17 was as poor the series has been since it rebooted itself with 09/10.

Lashley

Really hoping to enjoy this demo because I thought FIFA 17 was as poor the series has been since it rebooted itself with 09/10.

FIFA 17 was dire, surely this has to be better.

I'd play the demo on PC but getting it on PS4, so going from that to PS4 would feel like a downgrade

Majukun

i don't think this year we will see many changes...all the improvements they advertised were mainly aesthetic

Nyx

well shit...the game looks insane. so much better than 2017.

What's up with the terrible bright effect everytime the pitch shows up though. (after a cutscene, replay etc.)

edit: Seems that was just at La Bombonera stadium by daylight.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Played a couple of matches and oh wow, it feels amazing. Dribbling feels massively better for one. Running on a PS4 Pro and 4KTV and it looks brilliant as well. Gonna play again.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Shooting and dribbling feels better. They need to sort out the lighting though, on the La Bombonera stadium its like the sun is 10ft above.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Have the shoulder buttons changed up? Seems like L1 is close dribbling as well as L2, and R1 is now feint. I haven't kept up with any announcements.

fourfourtwo

Neo Member
I'll be jumping back into FIFA for the first time in 3 years with this. Looking forward to it! It's been annoying seeing the 96% trophies in FIFA 15.

Does anyone know if the pro community has a general consensus on the game so far?

I've only played 1 game but initial impressions are:

- Players feel very snappy and responsive
- Passes are lasers
- Visuals look great at times (the jerseys and lighting) although night games still look too dark
- Still has that familiar FIFA feel to it though.

borges

Banned
Give FIFA full-manual mode a try. Its a different, way more enjoyable game.

Edit: And yes, as commented above, change camera to tele. Default one is bad.

Lashley

AI feels a lot better so that's good for me as I'm mainly an offline player

Also is this 60 or 30 fps?

Rodelero

As someone that was massively obsessed with this franchise for a very long time, I can scarcely believe how similar this game feels to FIFA 17. I usually play the FIFA game each year and spend a good few hours, if not days or weeks, enjoying the newness before I start to despise the same old problems as they begin to rear their head.

The demo starts by advertising all of the ground breaking innovations but you only have to play for five minutes to realise there is no ground breaking innovations here, or at least, none that have any prominence to prevent this game from feeling extremely similar to its predecessor.

I have, admittedly, not played much but this is the first time in a decade of demos that I came away from my first match thinking "What changed?" Most depressingly, the core flaws that have infuriated me in this franchise for years and years are as present as ever. The passing game is stale. The defensive game is disfunctional. The AI is clueless. I doubt I'll buy either football game this year, but if I did decide to, it certainly wouldn't be this one.

Top Bottom