• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trying to port full version of FF15 to Switch, maybe via UE4

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Juts shows how important Switch is or could be for SE of they are willing to go out of their way to get the game running on it.

Get Shin'en to do the port. They'll probably get it to run on their own custom engine at 60fps and shrink the game down to 16gb or some crazy shit like that.

Shin'en's crazy like that. Of course this is also not happening.

Galava

So the Luminous engine is so non-scalable
and shitty
that it takes less time to switch engines instead of adapting the existing one. Ok.

Maybe they are considering dropping Luminous and go full UE4 for future projects, and FFXV to UE4 might be the first test.

sphinx

the piano man
on the other hand, if they can get guidance from epic to get it done, it might be performance wise the best version of the game.

AND..

if they learn from the experience, subsequent UE4 games won't perform as bad as recent games from the past

Nev

Banned
PS-Vita-Borderlands.png

Ex-Psych

Get Shin'en to do the port. They'll probably get it to run on their own custom engine at 60fps and shrink the game down to 16gb or some crazy shit like that.

Shin'en's crazy like that. Of course this is also not happening.

Shin'en can get FFXV to run on an N64 if they felt like it.

They're that good.

OT: The fact that they're going out of their way to shove this game on a Switch shows how much the hybrid proved itself to be a viable platform. I will gladly double dip and hope it paves way for the FF7RE and KH3 versions

pswii60

In other words, they underestimated the success of Switch and need to make it look like they're doing something to keep their shareholders happy.

Cerium

In other words, they underestimated the success of Switch and need to make it look like they're doing something to keep their shareholders happy.

Square are one of the best third parties on Switch right now, probably right behind Bethesda.

They're even bringing a full exclusive in Octopath Traveler and the demo is great.

Zalman

I feel like it's not worth the trouble. Kingdom Hearts 3 would be a much better choice at this point. UE4, not released yet, popular on Nintendo handhelds.

benzy

So the Luminous engine is so non-scalable
and shitty
that it takes less time to switch engines instead of adapting the existing one. Ok.

It's the same with Frostbite. Their engine seems to be optimized for higher specs, so porting it over to something like ps5/XB3 should be an easier task vs having to rework/remove a bunch of custom tech they made. Even if they ported to UE4 switch I'd expect many features to get cut or completely reworked, and would still be a massive task for them.

thefro

So, all this tells me is that Luminous Engine is a dead end for them (not just on Switch) and that they're looking to use UE4 to port the game instead. This just seems like more effort than it's worth.

The new Apple TV could probably run the game if they ported to UE4. That also would open up a full-fat mobile port fairly easily down the road.

I'm sure it would also let the game run on lower-end PCs/laptops or run better.

So they would get a lot of benefit from that beyond just the Switch port.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
We are gonna talk FFXV for longer than the XIII trilogy right? Kill me now :\

Anyway I hope S-E manages to release some AAA title in future on Switch and if porting FFXV serves as a test of sort I'm ok.

I'm curious, if they manage to successfully port this (new engine notwithstanding) will that not be a sign that the Switch can receive basically any PS4/XB1 game there is?

Or will there be a new goal post?

Sadist

Man it shows how serious devs/pubs are now about Switch support. What a time to be alive. Never expected this after the Wii U.

Zedark

I'm curious, if they manage to successfully port this (new engine notwithstanding) will that not be a sign that the Switch can receive basically any PS4/XB1 game there is?

If so: "it still won't be able to get open world AAA games that don't run UE4."

benzy

The new Apple TV could probably run the game if they ported to UE4. That also would open up a full-fat mobile port fairly easily down the road.

If you really think a UE4 version will bring a nearly 1:1 XV port outside of resolution and still have better performance than PS4, expect to be disappointed bro. Take a look at Ark Survival Evolved.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Feels like their overall goal is to reach +10m sold when it's all said and done.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It should be feasible, maybe it will require a lot of work but in theory the downgrades shouldn't be huge imo.

I think they'd be better served just making sure that FFVII Remake and KH3 are ported to Switch. FFXV's development was a bit of a mess and I imagine the amount of resource it's going to take to not only move it across to UE4, but then get it running on the Switch just seems like a big time and money sink.

Essentially, if they've broken even on FFXV, move on and be better prepared with XVI and other future titles.

FinalAres

Nope. FFXV is the gold standard. Not because its got de mosst amazingest grafix but because the engine they used isn't even properly suited to the current gen. If they can get FFXV working on Switch, anything can.

EDIT: Never mind, new engine. I guess it'd still be impressive though.

Zalman

I think they'd be better served just making sure that FFVII Remake and KH3 are ported to Switch. FFXV's development was a bit of a mess and I imagine the amount of resource it's going to take to not only move it across to UE4, but then get it running on the Switch just seems like a big time and money sink.

Essentially, if they've broken even on FFXV, move on and be better prepared with XVI and other future titles.
100% this.

Jolkien

Good on them for trying but I don't believe for a second they'll do it.

I wish they would for Switch user, I barely use mine and it wasn't remotely good enough to warrant a second playthrough good on SE if they deliver.

Porting to UE4 would indeed let them get more out of this game in general, not just on Switch, so I can see why it might make long term sense.

There will always be a new goal post.

Good point, you can always count on that when it comes to Nintendo.

All these ports are great but what would really start changing minds is day-and-date releases.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I wish they would just move on from this terrible game but I guess they have to recoup every penny they can.

I'd rather they make a new game for Switch than a borked port of FFXV.

jsnepo

Why not bring it to PS3 too and call it Versus XIII?

It'll be highly impressive though if S-E manages to port this to Switch.

random25

If only Versus XIII lived...

At least SE is really trying this time around. Didn't enjoy it that much but if this really happens, that is really cool of them and buy it the second time.

Top Bottom