• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition Leaked?

It's great if it actually works out that way.

but it seems contradictory to their in game business/pricing model. Right now you can't even purchase the game and all characters in a bundle for 60 dollars. So it seems weird to me to imagine that they're planning a boxed release for 60 or less with all back content.

You actually can purchase the game and all the dlc characters for $80 (I think?) at least digitally on PSN. I wouldn't pay that price for anyone interested though, it's been slashed to $40 or $45 at least once a month I think.

The content on this disc will be a combo of s1 and 2 content sans the premium costumes. S3 content will probably not be included. All the modes and extra balance patches will be free for everyone. This is like a GOTY disc. You won't have to oay anything extra if you own SFV right now. It's not that deep.
It blows my mind that people refuse to see this as what it is. For all we know it may even be the same exact disk and have download codes in it.

Vouchers wouldn't work because used copies would no longer be Super.

It blows my mind that people refuse to see this as what it is. For all we know it may even be the same exact disk and have download codes in it.

People don't even read the links they post, you expect them to use reasoning?

Though to avoid scathing comments, it'll probably just have the DLC characters unlocked from the get go on the disc.

Jawmuncher

I doubt it. The modes & gameplay changes will likely be distributed to all SFV owners via a free update, leaving us to only earn/pay for the characters.

I figure they’ll be trying to entice people.
The big meat to do that is the characters above all else

but it seems contradictory to their in game business/pricing model. Right now you can't even purchase the game and all characters in a bundle for 60 dollars. So it seems weird to me to imagine that they're planning a boxed release for 60 or less with all back content.

I know what they promised initially but....I'm skeptical until they come out and tell us how this works. Plans can change. Especially when games underperform.
How is it contradictory? The moment the second season pass was announced the old one's price got cut in half.

They've done this before with SF4. It's nothing special.

Neoxon

I figure they’ll be trying to entice people.
The big meat to do that is the characters above all else
If the AE update includes new characters not in any of the Character Passes, they'll be given to other SFV owners in some capacity. They aren't gonna screw over existing owners by giving the AE update exclusive characters that nobody else can get.

Garlador

I'm guessing you want the version that has all the shit and all the costumes and all the characters?

Come back in 2020 because that's when support is probably going to stop.

I said that about SFIV and waited for the finalized PS4 version...

... and they STILL released some costumes afterwards you could only get with the swipe of a credit card.

Jawmuncher

If the AE update includes new characters not in any of the Character Passes, they'll be given to other SFV owners in some capacity. They aren't gonna screw over existing owners by giving the AE update exclusive characters that nobody else can get.

I think you’re missing what I mean.

I assume this Arcade Edition is nothing more than an update and seasons 1 and 2 together. (All characters all stages nothing more)
Said Edition will release at retail.

Everyone gets the update for free of the game modes and balancing and such. Vanill owners get a discount more in-line to whatever the new bundle costs depending on what they own and don’t. Kinda like how some steam bundles are.

So if you already have season 1 and 2 then this is just an update. If you don’t own either but have vanill both packs are now cheaper than they were before. If you have season 2 but not 1 same thing (even though that’s been like 10 bucks at this point but still).

That’s what I’m getting at when I mean enticing people. Have those people sitting on vanill copies of SFV drop some money into the game via a digital deal that corresponds with a update.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I know what they promised initially but....I'm skeptical until they come out and tell us how this works. Plans can change. Especially when games underperform.
The 2017 deluxe edition (base game plus 2 seasons of characters) has been on sale for under 60 at least twice on Steam and PS4 in the last few months.

I agree with your skepticism that the next retail edition will contain "all back content." I think considering the prices of premium cosmetics, chances are very low that the package will include anything besides the battle costumes that come in the character passes. Maybe some stages, but even that I would not bet on.

Some people are hoping 4 characters will be included free with the update and while that would be awesomely generous by current SFV standards I can't get my hopes up quite that high.

Neoxon

Didn't capcom say there would never be a super or arcade edition port?
If you read through the thread, you'll see that Capcom's promise was for your copy of SFV being the only one you need. All gameplay changes & additional features will be made available to existing SFV owners for free (if this rumor pans out).

I think you're missing what I mean.

I assume this Arcade Edition is nothing more than an update and seasons 1 and 2 together. (All characters all stages nothing more)

Everyone gets the update for free of the game modes and balancing and such. Vanill owners get a discount more in-line to whatever the new bundle costs depending on what they own and don't. Kinda like how some steam bundles are.

So if you already have season 1 and 2 then this is just an update. If you don't own either but have vanill both packs are now cheaper than they were before. If you have season 2 but not 1 same thing (even though that's been like 10 bucks at this point but still).

That's what I'm getting at when I mean enticing people. Have those people sitting on vanill copies of SFV drop some money into the game via a digital deal that corresponds with a update.
Ah, that makes more sense.

nded

I think you're missing what I mean.

Everyone gets the update for free of the game modes and balancing and such. Vanill owners get a discount more in-line to whatever the new bundle costs depending on what they own and don't. Kinda like how some steam bundles are.

So if you already have season 1 and 2 then this is just an update. If you don't own either but have vanill both packs are now cheaper than they were before. If you have season 2 but not 1 same thing (even though that's been like 10 bucks at this point but still).

That's what I'm getting at when I mean enticing people. Have those people sitting on vanill copies of SFV drop some money into the game via a digital deal that corresponds with a update.

Yeah, sounds reasonable. Although I think the retail update won't include any DLC costumes or stages but instead some bonus FM to get people used to the store.

joe2187

Banned

And the cycle repeats....

No, that is not what they said.

"you will only have to buy SFV once, all system, balance changes will be handeled via patches/updates"

You'll still get all that shit that super ultra hyper whatever gets added but wont have to pay an additional price for that.

Neoxon

Yeah, sounds reasonable. Although I think the retail update won't include any DLC costumes or stages but instead some bonus FM to get people used to the store.
I could see Capcom throwing in the Battle Outfits & the CPT content, but that's it.

BigEmil

SFV DLC currently only stick to ONE ACCOUNT. Which is lame when i bought Season Passes my bros couldn't play the DLC's that i bought. They should have let us know too late now

So i wonder if this will include DLC where all accounts can access the DLC not just stupid 1 account

HardRojo

When all is said and done, I do hope they released a boxed edition with all content included and not tied to an account, for futureproofing purposes.

SFV DLC currently only stick to ONE ACCOUNT. Which is lame when i bought Season Passes my bros couldn't play the DLC's that i bought. They should have let us know too late now

So i wonder if this will include DLC where all accounts can access the DLC not just stupid 1 account
I doubt it. DLC check is done through CFN.

nded

I noticed on Steam that my brother seemed to have access to season 2 characters that I paid for, but couldn't use season 1 characters that I got with FM.

Or maybe he bought Season 2 also?

qcf x2

This has been asked (and answered) several times per page it seems like. That's not what they said, it's what was interpreted by some.

As for the supposed game itself, if it releases with S3 and doesn't include S3 content, it's dead in the water imo.

If you read through the thread, you'll see that Capcom's promise was for your copy of SFV being the only one you need. All gameplay changes & additional features will be made available to existing SFV owners for free (if this rumor pans out).

I see, just got confused as there's box art in the OP.

And the cycle repeats....

No, that is not what they said.

"you will only have to buy SFV once, all system, balance changes will be handeled via patches/updates"

You'll still get all that shit that super ultra hyper whatever gets added but wont have to pay an additional price for that.

That sounds extremely promising.

Neoxon

This has been asked (and answered) several times per page it seems like. That's not what they said, it's what was interpreted by some.

As for the supposed game itself, if it releases with S3 and doesn't include S3 content, it's dead in the water imo.
Assuming it comes out this year, Season 3 would have just started. Maybe they can include a DLC code for the Season 3 Character Pass, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for that.

BiggNife

I doubt it's to late, a rerelease would give it the shot in the arm it needs. I also don't believe you that the competitive community doesn't enjoy it and only play it because they have to.

I mean, this isn't something I just made up, if that's what you're thinking:

I'm gonna another one of those guys and say that I've had some time around the block in the FGC as well, and it's kinda hilarious you say this. We have local SFV ranbats here and even the dudes winning are like "this game is garbage but if you wanna play SF this is what you have to play." I hear that from so many people from so different places of so many different skill levels that it's kind of head turning to hear otherwise.

I get SFV-GAF likes the game and has positive vibes. That's cool, you like a game and you like it. But when saying "SFV is good" is a head turning opinion in the FGC, you can't really go downplaying it as "it's not everybody and it 's still fine and good." I would definitely believe people like Chindogg and others who have been dealing with this shit for years that SFV's negative perception is next level even for the usual FGC shenanigans.

I've actually talked to Tokido about the game back in season 1. He was very critical about it back then too, saying the game felt random and there were many things Capcom had to fix. Ultimately, I don't doubt that him and some of the other players I've talked to wanted to move on from SF4. I don't get to talk to he top JP players regularly, but it's a pretty small group saying shit like that. Meanwhile Bonchan is literally calling the devs retarded. Infiltration has said the game got worse. Every time I interviewed a top NA player about the game, I had to edit down or steer the conversation around them taking huge dumps on the game every other minute.

I'm far from some big shot, but I'm somebody that has worked intimately with the top people of the FGC at various points, and what you're telling me is a much different story than what I experienced firsthand. SF4 was something people were ready to dump and people don't want to return to. That was the sentiment I remember. I also remember the sentiment that SFV avoided some of the issues of SF4 at the expense of being awful in so many other places. Again, I had these conversations with real pro, semi-pro, and even just pot monster level players. Pulling up the sentiments of a couple top JP players isn't going to suddenly change that fact, especially when conversations with them have proved to bring up a lot of grief at the same time.

Also, if you think that was the appeal of SF4 and that SFV doesn't appeal because it's not like that, you're at a level of understanding of the SF series where I'm not sure you're really qualified to be saying things like this about it.

I actually like SFV quite a bit and think it's underrated, but there is unquestionably a stigma against it, particularly in the FGC. And I don't have a solution on how to reverse that stigma.

nded

I haven't done the math, but if S1 and S2 are included in a new retail revision then that would probably be enough easy FM at your disposal to get most if not all S3 characters.

sfv-hot-package-artwork.jpg

"You know, Ryu, you really are The Last of Us"

-Chun Ellie

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I haven't done the math, but if S1 and S2 are included in a new retail revision then that would probably be enough easy FM at your disposal to get most if not all S3 characters.
If you've got 28 characters to earn fight money with there's no way you could fail to get 600,000 FM unless you literally don't want to play the game at all.

nded

If you've got 28 characters to earn fight money with there's no way you could fail to get 600,000 FM unless you literally don't want to play the game at all.

I'm thinking more just the really easy FM. Stuff that's basically guaranteed for new players like character stories and demonstrations.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
No one reads threads anymore. They just read the title and post. smh

It's a testament that many people don't even read and jump into the conclusions to make themselves look like fools. People need to research more nowadays since it's easier to find the information.

MrCarter

wVXQbs5.gif

I actually like SFV quite a bit and think it's underrated, but there is unquestionably a stigma against it, particularly in the FGC. And I don't have a solution on how to reverse that stigma.

I think the reactions are over exaggerated as usual from the FGC and we do look back to older titles with rose tinted glasses. Same thing happened from SF3 to SF4 and will happen again if there's a SF6. However that's not to say they can't improve upon this game even further. If they do manage to release this update by fixing a lot of the issues hopefully that overcomes stigma from certain people. I won't hold my breath as there is a lot of toxicity in the FGC but it's worth a try.

nded

wVXQbs5.gif

I think the reactions are over exaggerated as usual from the FGC and we do look back to older titles with rose tinted glasses. Same thing happened from SF3 to SF4 and will happen again if there's a SF6. However that's not to say they can't improve upon this game even further. If they do manage to release this update by fixing a lot of the issues hopefully that overcomes stigma from certain people. I won't hold my breath as there is a lot of toxicity in the FGC but it's worth a try.

There'll be no shortage of rhapsodic eulogies to SFV once it's dead and SF6 or some other game has replaced it in tournament rotations.

VariantX

They don't want to grind challenges or even the easy survivals. The gigantic issue they have with FM is its that 95% of it is locked behind non-repeatable tasks. All of the remaining repeatable FM is in online VS and they DO NOT want to go online. You need repeatable FM sources that dont force players to go online, yet they cant be something that players can cheat their way through either. If you can get FM repeatedly through Arcade mode and a bonus for completing it with each character for the first time, it would go a long way.

MrCarter

There'll be no shortage of rhapsodic eulogies to SFV once it's dead and SF6 or some other game has replaced it in tournament rotations.

At the current rate of Capcom's fighting game division who knows when there will be a sequel to both SF and VS series.

nded

They don't want to grind challenges or even the easy survivals. The gigantic issue they have with FM is its that 95% of it is locked behind non-repeatable tasks. All of the remaining repeatable FM is in online VS and they DO NOT want to go online. You need repeatable FM sources that dont force players to go online, yet they cant be something that players can cheat their way through either. If you can get FM repeatedly through Arcade mode and a bonus for completing it with each character for the first time, it would go a long way.

Well, they do have weekly FM missions. The 5000FM mission and at least one 500FM mission can be completed offline.

At the current rate of Capcom's fighting game division who knows when there will be a sequel to both SF and VS series.

I mean, the prolonged absence would really only make the black, shriveled heart of the FGC grow fonder.

Rymuth

Assuming it comes out this year, Season 3 would have just started. Maybe they can include a DLC code for the Season 3 Character Pass, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for that.
Most likely that will replace the current deluxe edition

SFV Arcade Edition + Season 3 pass - $80

Blueblur1

And extra characters right?

Where are we at in terms of incoming characters? Do we still expect 6 per season or are we concerned about the extra 2 slots X-Kira says he's found?

In my view, its unrealistic to expect extra characters in SSFV/SFV Arcade Edition. X-Kira's 2 additional slots aren't a guarantee of any kind, IMO. Or is there *another* reason to believe we might get extra characters?

Or am I out of date with the rumors?

kirblar

And extra characters right?
If they do add extra characters, I have to assume they're tacked onto the base as free for everyone. Otherwise the resulting PR nightmare would be bad.
Where are we at in terms of incoming characters? Do we still expect 6 per season or are we concerned about the extra 2 slots X-Kira says he's found?

In my view, its unrealistic to expect extra characters in SSFV/SFV Arcade Ed. X-Kira's 2 additonal slots aren't a guarantee of any kind, IMO. Or is there reason to believe we might get extra characters?
X-Kira found slots for 26 more characters. Which could mean 4 seasons of 6 + 2 bonus somewhere. Or it could mean 2 packs of 4 via "SSFV/USFV" style base roster updates, and 3 seasons of 6.

Rymuth

The extra characters could be the proverbial 'palette swap' (Evil Ryu, Grumpy Ken etc)

Considering how much it costs to make one character, I'd be surprised if they gave those out for free as opposed to assets that are already in place and just need tweaking.

Top Bottom