• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dark Souls II (an annual April journey...)

Kazuhira

I started another playthrough and i just killed Lost Sinner.
It's insane how fast you can level up in this game,my char is already SL 71 which is almost endgame level for base DS1 and DS3.
The game surely looks rough with a few exceptions,areas like Lost Bastille,Shaded Woods and Ruins almost make me puke..i need to find a good Reshade/MasterEffect preset to improve the visuals a little.
Anyway,the game is still fun though.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So, I happen to be playing Dark Souls 2 for the first time right now-I've only played Demon Souls before this. I have to say, I'm rather PO'ed at the game, and not for the right reasons.

Why in the blue blazes did they put the most basic mechanic vendors/items on the same single path?!

You see, when I first started, I went exploring around Majula. When I went into the entrance for the Flame towers, I missed the pull cord for the sulce gate and assumed I needed a key for the upstares mechanism.

I proceeded to go through the forest, bastille, the friggen other forest, and the gutter, and got all three primal bonfires, all before managing to find and head over to the ocean-flame-tower of pretty vistas.

The game's basic vendors and items for Pyromancy, Sorcery, and Faith all all on the 4th path. There's almost no other game mechanic NPCs on the other paths. Two. And they're advanced Magic/Faith NPCs that require you pretty much specialize in their stat. And they don't sell basic equipment.

By the time I got to the basic vendor NPC's, I had:
1 wand that required like 18 or 20 something INT to use.
1 Priest Chime that required 18 Faith.
1 Dark Pyromancy flame that's basically useless unless you've died 5 times in a row and have a 40% or so health penalty.
+ a, small, random assortment of spells, most of which would need 10-20 levels in their stats to use, and did not cover basic use cases.

I respec'ed my character to give myself 18 faith back when I thought a faith vendor had to be around the corner (big mistake.), so for most of the game, there was exactly one spell I could use: Heal. Fat lot of good that spell did. I had so little to work with I had to just go full Phys build.

You know, Demon souls had all the basic mechanic vendors IN the hub. No having to hope and pray you run into someone that carries basic miracles or spells.
You know, Pyromancy seems to be 'magic for physical classes that can't afford to spend stats in Faith or Int.' That would be great if the game's one usable Pyromancy flame wasn't hidden on that stupid ship! Friggen useless now.

You know, I was originally planning on doing a Str/Faith build in this game, and I had it roughly planned out. Nope, that didn't work out. I got screwed over on that one and ended up with 20 pts between faith and attunment rotting away. I had 'heal' for most of the game and that's it. Whoop-de-do.

Side note: I actually really hate the labyrinthine level and hub structure. I really prefer Demon Soul's set up where the Nexus was a level select: Select your level, and that's it. No hunting around for entrances and trying to figure out where to go next. The game's pretty straightforward.

I appreciate the quality of life improvements in Dark Souls 2, like the Flask, but I'll be darned if things like this aren't driving me mad. If nothing else, DS2 seems to have a really screwed up idea of what it excepts for player progression. Despite my foible, the game, even you do things out a bit more evenly, seems to have a strange idea of how it thinks players should progress. Case in point: The Bastille Key.

Why would you go from Demons to 2. Why??? Oh it hurts me.

It's a truly excellent AAA game. Go slow, the first playthru is the most rewarding, much more so so than the second or third, which is different than DS1. Lots of great areas, and it's very long, much longer than you will expect.

Hmmm, I'm a bit confused by your story. It sounds like you dropped straight down to The Rotten from The Gutter using the cat ring? Or did you just not describe your adventure in green poison statue hell?

Lork

An important tip for this series in general: If you step into a boss room and find something that seems completely unreasonable consider that the developers probably don't expect you to have to deal with it as is. Taking a step back and reconsidering your strategy, or just exploring more are always a better alternative to bashing your head against a brick wall until it breaks. This especially goes for certain bosses you might find later in this game too!

joms5

Ok, who tells him you can drain the poison from Mythra boss room...lol

I'm not kidding when I say this made me feel a little ill when I read it. WTF?!?!

DARK SOULS!!!!!!!
tumblr_mme9mpCkfN1s1447ao1_400.gif

Is there any reason to doing it now?

after 2nd bonfire there's a level on left, light it :)

You can use a torch and light the Windmill on fire. This drains 90% of the poison from the Mytha fight.

Holy shit, Ferr986 wasn't lying. How did I miss this? I wasn't planning on playing right now but I have to see this for myself. I couldn't have missed this. Are we talking about the second bonfire which is behind a mist door or behind a hidden wall?

Gin-Shiio

An important tip for this series in general: If you step into a boss room and find something that seems completely unreasonable consider that the developers probably don't expect you to have to deal with it as is. Taking a step back and reconsidering your strategy, or just exploring more are always a better alternative to bashing your head against a brick wall until it breaks. This especially goes for certain bosses you might find later in this game too!

Honestly, DSII is the only entry that really follows that philosophy, and while the execution was lacking, I do appreciate the idea.

joms5

Hmmm, I'm a bit confused by your story. It sounds like you dropped straight down to The Rotten from The Gutter using the cat ring? Or did you just not describe your adventure in green poison statue hell?

Oops. I should have been more specific. I just skipped over green statue hell. I found Black Gultch to be quite easy to be honest. There wasn't much to say about it other than take your time. Sorry bout that. Knowing my luck right now you can light something to make it rain kittens.

Well said. I should have known my limit last night but i'm quite stubborn sometimes. I will return at some point, just might take a few updates.

Jaraghan

Holy shit, Ferr986 wasn't lying. How did I miss this? I wasn't planning on playing right now but I have to see this for myself. I couldn't have missed this. Are we talking about the second bonfire which is behind a mist door or behind a hidden wall?
Start from the 2nd bonfire (in a small alcove). Head out, straight, to the railing ledge. Look right and there is a skinny path leading to the small rod connecting the windmill to the building. Light that with a torch.

I've beaten Demons Souls (non-magic)
I've beaten Bloodborne
I've beaten Dark Souls 3

Why the hell can I not get past the Smelter Demon?

Lork

Honestly, DSII is the only entry that really follows that philosophy, and while the execution was lacking, I do appreciate the idea.
Not true! Consider Fool's Idol and Storm King in Demon's Souls, Gaping Dragon, Seath, Centipede Demon, Kalameet and Manus in Dark Souls (and to a certain extent, Taurus Demon). It's a staple of the series.

I'm literally at this bonfire where you torch the windmill. I stopped there last night at like 2 AM so haven't even faced the boss yet. So glad I stopped by this thread. Thanks, GAF!

Kazuhira

Like most, you probably didn't notice because you killed it along the way, but there's a Channeler who will make your life hell if you don't kill him before fighting the boss.

Oh yeah,i remember now.
The channeler can buff the gaping dragon.

OP, are you rocking any ranged weapons?

I only used them for getting enemies' attention in DS1 and DS3, but for some reason I found it really satisfying to use a Heavy Crossbow as an offhand in DS2.

Narroo

You can use a torch and light the Windmill on fire. This drains 90% of the poison from the Mytha fight.

Why would you go from Demons to 2. Why??? Oh it hurts me.
Gamestop had a buy 2, get 3rd free deal going on, and they had Valkryie Chronicals, Resonance of Fate, and DS2 for $10 each. I didn't realize that the DLC would be $25 for DS2 while the GOTY edition was only $20.

I'm not kidding when I say this made me feel a little ill when I read it. WTF?!?!

DARK SOULS!!!!!!!

Is there any reason to doing it now?

So, on my first playthrough here, I got summoned as a shade and the first thing my ally did was set the windmill on fire. I was pretty amazed, and did the same thing myself when I got back home. Better yet, I had an ally plus an NPC ally going into the Snake Woman fight, so...I took her down on the first try! I may have gotten screwed over with NPC's, but at least I apparently avoided some real suffering.

Gin-Shiio

Not true! Consider Fool's Idol and Storm King in Demon's Souls, Gaping Dragon, Seath, Centipede Demon, Kalameet and Manus in Dark Souls (and to a certain extent, Taurus Demon). It's a staple of the series.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. I was talking about bosses that can be made easier through manipulation of their area. Lighting the torches for the sinner or the windmill for Mytha are unique throughout the whole series, and I think the reason most people didn't even think of doing any such thing.

DS2 is a very flawed game, but if you can get past those imperfections, you'll find a worthy sequel to DS1. Depending on the day and my mood, I'd be willing to call it my favorite Souls game.

As for the difficulty you're experiencing, it may be due to how rolls work this time around:
-encumbrance % only determines the speed/distance of the roll, iframes are unaffected
-Agility(increased by Adaptability and Attunement) now determines your iframes
-your iframes at base Agility are garbage, so you're likely to get hit by things that you wouldn't have in DS1 until you pump it up a bit

Here's a handy chart showing the break points (warning: large image)

Hope you enjoy, OP!

Hummmm.
- Upgrade ADP to at least 20 ASAP.
- Don't worry about life gems, you can buy thousands later in the game.
- Vanilla is far easier than SOTFS, but if you're having a hard time look for the Drangleic armor and shield after the first boss (and the second/optional). Also the Bastard Sword (and upgrade it everytime you can)
- Don't listen the haters. it's a great game, maybe not better than any Souls, but still great.
- Enjoy Majula's atmosphere. Best area in Souls.
- In Heide's Tower you can find a solution for the life cut when you're hollow.

I have hated playing this game but I am going to try one more time keeping these in mind

I have hated playing this game but I am going to try one more time keeping these in mind

I'd also recommended not locking on when you can.

Sometimes it's useful, but I'd say in DS2 having the camera unlocked is much better.

Especially since multiple enemies are more common this time around

I had lots of fun on my pyromancer. You need something to keep you alive for the first quarter of the game, but it opens up after that and becomes really fun. Great for coop too, I spent hours assisting people at the final boss area (except that you get no xp for the final, final boss).

It would be frustrating to be a pyromancer first time through, though.

Thorgal

The only negative this game has for me is no ragdolled floppy corpses remaining.

Not just for the hilarious factor but seeing slain enemies tell me I've been there already and cleared it out.

laxu

I've got a hankering for more Souls. Where can I buy SotFS cheapest for PC? I live in Finland and have to see if it's in some for sale bin but Steam code would be fine too.

EDIT: Got a code off G2A (yuck but was cheapest) and going to find a cheap season pass code when I get to it.

Lork

Yeah, I should have been more specific. I was talking about bosses that can be made easier through manipulation of their area. Lighting the torches for the sinner or the windmill for Mytha are unique throughout the whole series, and I think the reason most people didn't even think of doing any such thing.
I see. I suppose that can be considered a kind of thing if you look at it in a certain way. To me it's all just different shades of "This boss fight can be made significantly easier/possible by taking some kind of preparatory step." There are times when what you're supposed to do is more obvious than others, but it's always a thing you're supposed to figure out and be rewarded for.

laxu

What's a good starting build for this game and what should I aim to do to make the start of the game easier?

I've liked quality/pyro builds in DS3 where I mostly use the pyro side for ranged combat and fire weapon buff but play melee with GS/UGS mostly. How would I go about to get something similar for DS2 and is it a good way to go?

Ferr986

DARK SOULS!!!!!!!

lmao if it makes you feel better I did suffer through Mythra's poison pool too my first time.

What's a good starting build for this game and what should I aim to do to make the start of the game easier?

I've liked quality/pyro builds in DS3 where I mostly use the pyro side for ranged combat and fire weapon buff but play melee with GS/UGS mostly. How would I go about to get something similar for DS2 and is it a good way to go?

This build is even better in DS2 because you need less stats for pyro and it also doesn't scale as well so you can focus more points elsewhere. Also pyro spells are more varied and useful in 2, not just Chaos Vestiging everything like in 3.

joms5

OP, are you rocking any ranged weapons?

I only used them for getting enemies' attention in DS1 and DS3, but for some reason I found it really satisfying to use a Heavy Crossbow as an offhand in DS2.

I got the Sea Bow which I am also using to lure enemies to me. But also have hundreds of wood arrows for those times when enemies are just out of reach. The arrows are so cheap i figured why not.

Also been using the crossbow when lockon is an option.

I did get a couple of Great Arrows but I have yet to find the Great Bow so right now they're just sitting there.

Also for those interested, I did go back in last night to simply light the windmill on fire to see if people were trolling me. They were not. :(

However while I was fumbling around with how to do that I did manage to find some twinkling tinanite and a Pharros lockstone on a ledge. So thanks for that!

Also while reading a bit about how to access the DLC I read about another area that I missed in Black Gultch (annoyed that I spoiled it for myself). So also wanted to see about that. Got my ass handed to me by a Giant. I guess their attacks cannot be blocked. Yay!

NEO0MJ

Also while reading a bit about how to access the DLC I read about another area that I missed in Black Gultch (annoyed that I spoiled it for myself). So also wanted to see about that. Got my ass handed to me by a Giant. I guess their attacks cannot be blocked. Yay!

Yeah, giants are super strong. If you want to cheat you can use poison arrows and shoot them from the entrance to the cave. I think they couldn't make it there and just walked back and forth when nearing it.

laxu

Got started with the game. Despite all those hours played in DS1 and 3 I got my ass handed to me a lot because of the lack of iframes and the somewhat clunky combat. Everything eats so much stamina and the mace moveset did me no favors. Way too many mobs.

Started with a Cleric character and that was a good move as the Heal spell has been highly useful even though it's too slow to cast in combat. Took down Last Giant on first try and Pursuer with maybe 3 tries. Now rocking a Bastard Sword and most of Drangleic armor and exploring Lost Bastille. Took the Pursuer in there down as well, next up is the boss.

At 90 agility it finally starts to feel comfortable. Now I totally understand why people dislike this mechanic, it's just a shit idea overall.

Yeah, giants are super strong. If you want to cheat you can use poison arrows and shoot them from the entrance to the cave. I think they couldn't make it there and just walked back and forth when nearing it.

That's how I killed 'em. Hell, most enemies have "leashes" that you can exploit with a bow (if you don't mind the boredom).

Also, do NOT consume any Giant Souls or you'll be kicking yourself later.

Narroo

So, I just destroyed the
Old Iron King.
He managed to simultaneously be the most lethal boss I've encountered, and the easiest.

Basically, it's an impressively designed boss fight: In a bad way. The arena is a tiny-awkwardly shaped arena over a bottomless (lava) pit with a locked-on camera angled just right to hide the edges. The wall in the back doesn't help. I killed myself several times trying to dodge roll. To ad insult to injury, his attacks have a ton of knock back just to insta-kill you.

There's nothing like finally encountering a cool-looking demon boss and going in expecting an awesome fight only for the actual fight to be against insta-killing enviromental hazards that kill you within seconds of starting. Kinda anti-climatic.

The usual melee tatics of shielding+dodging in heavy armor do not work well. After about 5 deaths or so I said screw it: If he wants me to dodge his attacks, I'll show him some dodging! I proceeded to strip half my armor, took off my shield, and the equipped my +8 Raw Malformed Skull. I proceeded to apply lightning to it and dual wielded it.

I did over 700+ damage on single swings. The amount of damage was obscene. He went down like sack of potatoes on the first try of this strategy. I actually took him down in less that a minute. The Last Giant and Covetous Demon weren't even that easy, and the Covetous Demon didn't even manage to hit me.

NEO0MJ

That's how I killed 'em. Hell, most enemies have "leashes" that you can exploit with a bow (if you don't mind the boredom).

Also, do NOT consume any Giant Souls or you'll be kicking yourself later.

Yep to both. It's funny that we still have leashes. At first I thought it was console limitations but I guess that's just how they prefer to have enemies behave.

IC5

I've got a hankering for more Souls. Where can I buy SotFS cheapest for PC? I live in Finland and have to see if it's in some for sale bin but Steam code would be fine too.

EDIT: Got a code off G2A (yuck but was cheapest) and going to find a cheap season pass code when I get to it.
SoTFS includes all the DLC. No extra pass needed.

NEO0MJ

Really? Thanks for telling me! Saved me a little money!

You still have to find the keys to then ingame, though. Not sure where they are though as you were simply given the key if you bought the season pass for the original version of the game.

joms5

UPDATE:

FYI very few screenshots here as I just realized I must not have had FRAPS running during my play session. :( Sorry about that guys.

So last update I was way too furious to describe my 3am excursion into The Iron Keep. Great looking area (much better than the lava area in DS1) and an amazing area to farm for souls. So first off, I decided to go for the item out on the lava rock right after the bonfire. Not the one under the stairs but the one where you have to jump from rock to rock. After about 30 deaths dedicated to this item alone only to see that it's a human effigy my annoyance is already quite high. So I push forward. Fight some guys that give me over 1000 souls each. Bingo! Equip snake ring to increase that number because you can never have too many souls. Find a hidden wall with a ballista pointing at the back of an enemy. Not very effective but fun when you try it for the first time. So I make my way to a massive room, lava everywhere, a bridge and archers shooting from every fucking direction!!

So I take my time here. Very methodical. Hide behind walls, lure enemies to me and when that's not an option I try to maneuver myself behind pillars to keep my backside safe. I see a platform with a door and switch on it and decide it's a safe place to take refuge from another archer that I mistakenly activated. Hit switch and a bridge starts to lower, awesome! Get an arrow in the back. Shit! Get in the door I think. Open the door..

gif.gif

HOLY SHIT I'M ON FIRE!!!! Another arrow in the back. Roll my ass to under the stair thinking that rolling will actually put me out quicker. Stop, drop and roll right? So I figure that's not the way to go. Walk back to the bridge that was lowered and start to make my way across. Take out a couple more enemies and notice a valve on the side of the same building that McCallistered me. Jump off the bridge and turn that off. The fire stops. Get my ass back up to the bridge and notice a mist door. Hrm... now I know that if I die I will have to walk my ass all the way back through this mess, and at this point i'm already at around 10,000 souls (which as you know by now, I'm not willing to lose because i'm very frugal with my souls) So I decide that to make this area easier to do a boss rush on, it would be better to farm this area until all enemies are gone and therefore I can make it to the boss much quicker and with less hassle. So I spend an hour or so killing these enemies and returning to the bonfire. Finally they stop appearing and i'm ready to take on the boss.

And so it begins. The Smelter Demon IS WITHOUT A DOUBT my Ornstein and Smough. This dipshit took 2 hours of my life away from me and I wasn't anywhere close to killing him. Tried upgrading my weapon, switching out gear, switching out rings, equipped big fuckoff club, tried going two handed, tried popping almost all my boss souls and upgrading my character more,etc. and nothing, I mean nothing worked. At this point it's 3am, my fiance isn't enjoying watching anymore and i'm not enjoying playing anymore. The anger and frustration is leading me to make dumb mistakes, getting greedy and all around sloppy play. So I walk away. Exhausted, defeated and never wanting to hear the name Smelter Demon again. Seriously. FUCK THAT GUY!

25xOnhw.jpg

The next day I start fresh. Go back to some previous areas and explore. Use some lockstones in Grave of Saints. Total waste. Then I use the forgotten key back in some areas, all of them also being a waste except when I find Havel's armour set. This was the same set I wore in DS1 so i strap it all back on and now I feel like i'm ready to take on the world.

Remember I discovered Shaded Woods? Well it's time to work this area. Now to be fair, i'm probably over leveled at this point for such an area, but that's fine by me. Come to a fork in the road and decide to go left. Come across the next DLC transport point but move on (still undecided if I have time to play the DLC). Eventually make my way to Drangleic Castle and after a talk with an NPC I think this is the end of the game, quick google confirms this so I turn back.

DbmWmkQ.jpg

Decide to go forward in the fork in the road. Kingsdoor prevents me from going any further. Now I don't think I have the symbol of the king, but if I should at this point please tell me. I want to make sure it's not like the ring in DS1 that lets you traverse the abyss, that I had in my possession for hours and didn't know that's what it did.

So all I can do is go left now at the fork. Fog. Yay. Take a stroll in the fog and get attacked. Look around..... but nothing. Must be an archer. This time I get backstabbed. WTF?! I can't see shit. Then it dawns on me. Holy shit they're invisible!!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!

So like a sissy I run out of the woods. Gain some composure and head back in with shield at the ready. Hug one side of the wall and just keep walking. Meet the head of a man that warns me about his body being out there and to keep an eye out. I'd put money on it that this guy will be a pain in my ass later in the game. Eventually get to Shaded Ruins and curse is clearly the name of the game. Not a whole lot to say here except this. If Dark Souls drops me down a hole again to only get cursed and have all my gear break like it did in the first game (the Depths) I am going to have a heart attack. Did get to meet a bird lady down there whom I let go free. Led me to another estus shard too. So was well worth it. After I paid to have all my gear fixed I ran to the next mist door in Shaded Ruins and took on the next boss, scorpion lady (i've given up on proper names at this point). A pretty mediocre boss. Had no issues and took her out on my first attempt. I am noticing that the number of times i've beaten a boss in this game on my first or with very few attempts are actually quite often.

Once I was done with her made my way to Doors of Pharros and wasted a ton more Pharros lockstones. Haven't even activated half of the faces there and not sure if I want to waste anymore. But from there I made my way to the next boss the Rat Authority (which looked more like a dog to me, but meh). Now I don't mean to sound like a blasphemer but was I the only person that felt this was a straight copy paste of Sif? Even beat them the same was as Sif. Took 3-4 attempts but two handing a weapon while getting under the belly of the beast where it can't hit you seemed to do the job. Another pretty easy boss. From here I went to Brightstone Cove Tseldora, almost got crushed by a massive boulder (oh Dark Souls lol) and then went through my own personal hell with spider caves. Fuck spiders in Dark Souls.

Ended this area by beating 2 pathetic bosses in a church. Seemed like some sort of cult leaders controlling some followers. Easily the most forgettable encounter in this game. They may not have been an actual boss boss but it seemed like 2-3 hits for each guy and that was that.

So of course with this new found confidence and a Fire damage reduction ring I found during my exploration exploits down in Forrest of Fallen Giants, I decided to put my big boy pants back on and attempt the Smelter Demon (shudder) one last time.

Cracked an effigy. Equipped rings including fire damage reduction ring, attack up ring, stamina regen ring and defense up ring. Grabbed big fuck off club and went in with 10 estus flasks at the ready. This is where I really wish I had those screenshots. It took me around 8 attempts but the Smelter Demon is no more and let me tell you something. The feeling I got after those magical words came on screen... "VICTORY ACHIEVED"...that's why I play this series. And you all know what i'm talking about. Pure dopamine to the brain.

NVhQutP.gif

I saved at the bonfire and called it a night. I was happy with my progress. 4 bosses taken out and one step closer (I hope) to the final 2 souls I need to make it to the end game. I'm currently sitting at level 135 I think which may be wayyy to high for the end game, but that's okay. I put work into saving those souls from being lost. I'm still contemplating on playing the DLC, I know you've all raved about it and i'd love to experience some of the best content the game has to offer, I just don't know if my schedule will allow it. But we'll see.

Next update will be about Bright Cove and what I like to call spider nightmares.

Oh yeah, and to you Smelter Demon I say this.

giphy.gif

NEO0MJ

Holy crap your level is insane! I think​ I beat NG+ lower 0.0

And Smelter was one of the more memorable bosses in the game for me. Did you know you could actually skip him entirely if you went another route?

Although Smelter is skippable, it also skips the 2nd bonfire of the area which makes death cost even more than it normally does. Considering how annoying and long the Iron Keep area is, it's a useful bonfire to have.

I really need to get this. Watched a friend playthrough most of it so I had my fill and beaten all previous and subsequent Fromsoft games. If I do jump in, how difficult is the game. Heard from some it's possibly the hardest entry in the series.

NEO0MJ

Although Smelter is skippable, it also skips the 2nd bonfire of the area which makes death cost even more than it normally does. Considering how annoying and long the Iron Keep area is, it's a useful bonfire to have.

You get access to the belfry bonfire but of course you then have to traverse the upper area every time you die. But considering how long it took him to beat the boss maybe it was the better option?

Hypron

You get access to the belfry bonfire but of course you then have to traverse the upper area every time you die. But considering how long it took him to beat the boss maybe it was the better option?

I don't know if they fixed it in SotFS, but in the original game you could climb the ladder and then run off the top of the ladder. If you angled yourself well you could land outside of the recess around the bonfire.

Kinsei

Banned
Smelter Demon is one of my favorite bosses in the game.

You kind of broke the game with your grinding. You're not meant to be able to access the castle until you beat the four main bosses but you have so many souls that the game just said fuck it and let you through because there's really no point in going through the other areas anymore.

Top Bottom