• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV Thailand stage removed from store: Speculates BGM using "islamic prayer"

Deepwater

theres been plenty of times a religion has been "offended" by this kind of thing and made threats and carried out attacks, French cartoonists know only too well. It's not a stretch to see that as a major reason for doing this.

Did anybody kill, maim, or blow up Nintendo employees/buildings for Ocarina of Time?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Probably both. Fundamentalist Buddhists would be up in arms over this.

There are some places in SEA where there's a lot of friction between the two religion.

Whether Capcom would care is another issue though. It's a bit like when Blizzard was asked by Hindu groups to remove certain Symmetra skins that referenced Hindu gods and they just ignored it iirc.

SkyOdin

It's funny how this Islamic chant is off limits because it's offensive to Muslims...But it's ok to have a fighting venue in a Buddhist temple. Capcom doesn't seem worried about offending Thais.
Buddhism is a part of daily life in Japan, the devs are probably more personally familiar with what is and isn't okay with depicting the religion, I would imagine.

To be honest they could have just removed it because they realized it was a bit odd having Islamic chanting in a Thai Buddhist themed stage. I get what you're saying, but they didn't really state their reason as one or the other and I could imagine them wanting to have something more accurate once the error was pointed out even if no one was going to be offended.

From Capcoms official statement:
It has come to our attention that part of the background music track used in the DLC Thailand Temple Hideout Stage, released on April 25, 2017, contains unintentional religious references.

Unintentional religious references? It's a temple! They gonna redesign the stage into a dojo?
..I bet try don't. Some specific religious reference will be removed though ;)

Deepwater

Unintentional religious references? It's a temple! They gonna redesign the stage into a dojo?

obviously the music was unintentional. I don't see why you're being obtuse about this

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

I read it, what I said still stands. Using Islamic chants in a Buddhist stage could be "unintended" as their intentions would likely be to have something accurate, aka Buddhist. Anyway again I get what you're saying and presumably devs would be more likely to remove something Muslim rather than Buddhist but in this case they may have change it anyway because the contrast would be silly to anyone from either religion who noticed.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Of course it's unintentional religious references, they probably had no idea it was an Islamic chant. Once they found out they removed it.

Only in certain regions, some places it's labeled as a mosque and others it's a Russian Orthodox church.

Capcom gotta Capcom.

The russian stage? This one?

8FxLQKF.png

Some regions described this as a mosque? Doesn't the game just refer to it by either the character it's associated with (Necro) or the locale (Russia) given the 'world warrior' roots of the franchise?

As a muslim im not offended and muslims shouldnt be offended. But in this particular situation the islamic versus or chants just dont fit the stage. Its a Buddhist temple, play Buddhist chants.

If the want to use islamic versus use islamic musical chants or old Andalusian instruments (dont use quran versus) not because its offensive to me, on the contrary i would like more people to give quraan a listen wether in games or by other means, but because quraan is not music so it is hard to make it fit a musical score or a game.

The problem is i think most of these mistakes are made because research is not being done, someone does some google search and slaps what they find on a game.

Islam has a deep rich musical history that spans centuries and i think people would enjoy it if they give it an honest try.

Zapages

It still is, they messed up and added a Muslim chant to the music.

Its part of Islamic prayer or can become part of it. Hence it becomes offensive...

In Islam, God can't be equated to anything on or anyone. This becomes even more problematic with it being a stage about idols, which Islam strongly prohibits.

Here's a thing. When Muslims pray: It goes like this

1) Recite two known required surahs (chapters from the Holy Quran.
2) Recite a Surah (Chapter) of your choice from the Holy Quran.

This happens on what prayer the person is reciting.

Another thing is unlike the Bible that has been translated from its origin. The Holy Quran is only read in Arabic (not today's Arabic language, but ancient Arabic).

Hence the situation that we are in.

PS: I am not offended or anything like that. I am just trying to explain why some might find it offensive.

What the heck are you talking about. The temple is obviously intentional.

Like, do you know that Ezio can climb the interior and exterior of mosques in Assassin's Creed: Revelations? That's intentional.
And there's religious Islamic chants in the first area of Dreamfall. That's intentional.

Arabic chant in a Buddhist temple stage, though, that's unintentional.

Do you really can't comprehend the difference?

orochi91

I'm reminded of that time when the anime Noragami featured a battle-remix of the Islamic Call to Prayer.

Maaaaaaan, I hadn't laughed that hard in ages; half my brain was rocking to the tune, the other half was stunned and eventually got very irritated (I'm a Muslim, lol).

Thankfully the producers heeded those online complaints, leading to the the Blu Rays/OST being delayed and updated. Capcom reacted similarly here, so it's good to see these companies take this stuff seriously.

With that said, Japanese media producers and execs really ought to do some basic research about this stuff; just because it sounds cool, doesn't mean it should be carelessly sampled.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
its a generic sample of chanting, you shouldn't have to worry about some nut jobs trying to kill you because you used some sounds in an arcade game.

Obviously it's clearly incorrect - in a better world this would just have been amusing not offensive. But here we are :)

There are Muslims in GAF too you know.

~OooooOOoooooOOoo there are scaaaryyyy Muslims tooooo heeReeee~

lupinko

The russian stage? This one?

8FxLQKF.png

Some regions described this as a mosque? Doesn't the game just refer to it by either the character it's associated with (Necro) or the locale (Russia) given the 'world warrior' roots of the franchise?

It's character and locale yes, I don't recall that ever being referred to as a mosque.

If that were the case then Tetris also has mosques.

Mista Koo

its a generic sample of chanting, you shouldn't have to worry about some nut jobs trying to kill you because you used some sounds in an arcade game.

Obviously it's clearly incorrect - in a better world this would just have been amusing not offensive. But here we are :)
So you were only taught to respect people out of fear not human decency? I'm so sorry.

Wasn't there a mosque stage in SF3?
There wasn't. But even if there was it's not the same thing. I don't think most Muslims would care about people fighting in front of a mosque.

Anth0ny

So that sample is from a sample CD called Best Service Voice Spectral vol.1

It is way too fucking random that so many devs use this exact same sample. Did everyone get invited to a party in 1996 where everyone got a copy of that sample CD? And they've cherished it for 20 years? It's too weird.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So that sample is from a sample CD called Best Service Voice Spectral vol.1

It is way too fucking random that so many devs use this exact same sample. Did everyone get invited to a party in 1996 where everyone got a copy of that sample CD? And they've cherished it for 20 years? It's too weird.
You don't get rid of samples, man. You just build your library until it's unmanageable.

Top Bottom