• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Mistel

Banned
Looks like a Reaper. :p
MassEffect_2008-08-13_11-16-12-75.png
The harbinger is the same voice actor as the Diadact coincidentally.

Fuchsdh

Yeah. 343 is Chakas from the Forerunner trilogy, who is responding to the geas embedded within the Master Chief by the Librarian.

That's pure speculation at this point.

Also pure speculation and which I hate fans treat like gospel is the idea that Johnson was a member of the ORION project.

3bdelilah

Banned
I've asked this question in another thread, but I think I'm more likely to get a (faster/better?) response here :)

So guys, I'm planning to pick up a second-hand Xbox 360 tomorrow, solely for Banjo-Kazooie and (to replay) Banjo-Tooie. Halo 3, ODST, Reach and 4, among others, are included in this second-hand set, but I've got a question about those. What exactly is the reason for the high scores (I use Gamerankings.com for the averages), the singleplayer or multiplayer? Since I don't intend to use the Xbox for online (I've got a PS3, but I do have to make a Silver account to access XBLA), I think I'd rather bargain to have those Halo games removed for a lower price if the MP is the biggest reason why Halo gets the praise.

AlStrong

:)

---

So I was re-reading Halo Evolutions, the story with Corporal Palmer (ala Halo 2) - is she supposed to be relative of Commander Palmer? Maybe 343 wanted it to be the same character, but didn't want to poop on Robt McClees? Or just coincidence... :s

(that paragraph spiel about making babies with the chief & jumping on grenades was amazing XD)

I liked Robt's Palmer more though, and it might have made for something a bit more interesting if they had continued her story i.e. here's another person whose life he affected/saved in the past now in the present/H4. *shrug* Particularly, this is someone who would have seen Chief before and after the SIV enhancements + now knowing about Halsey.

---

Oh well...

Korten

Banned
What are the limits for the character section? Should appear as a major character in the games? Other criteria? Halo has way too many characters to include into that section such as Kurt, Linda, Kelly, Fred, Naomi , Osman, the main characters in Wars, Reach, ODST, etc. etc. I do vote for Mendicant Bias, Black Box, Naomi and Serin Osman to be included.

Good question, originally the new section was called: Current Characters, but then I changed it to just Characters. In the "Current" characters section, it was going to be characters who are important during and after the events of Halo 4. Just to make sure the list doesn't get too large. (Personally I like using the images. :D)

Also pure speculation and which I hate fans treat like gospel is the idea that Johnson was a member of the ORION project.

But Johnson was a member of ORION. It's the reason also he can't be infected by the flood, because the of the fake: "Boren's Syndrome," which is a result from it. Plus he was involved in...

http://www.halopedia.org/Operation:_KALEIDOSCOPE

:)

---

So I was re-reading Halo Evolutions, the story with Corporal Palmer (ala Halo 2) - is she supposed to be relative of Commander Palmer? Maybe 343 wanted it to be the same character, but didn't want to poop on Robt McClees? Or just coincidence... :s

(that paragraph spiel about making babies with the chief & jumping on grenades was amazing XD)

I liked Robt's Palmer more though, and it might have made for something a bit more interesting if they had continued her story i.e. here's another person whose life he affected/saved in the past now in the present/H4. *shrug* Particularly, this is someone who would have seen Chief before and after the SIV enhancements + now knowing about Halsey.

No, Commander Palmer is not the same as Palmer from Halo 2, since by that point the Spartan Palmer was an ODST and the Palmer in Halo 2/Palace Hotel was a marine.

Caayn

-- Genemender is a Lifeworker, not human.
Apologies, don't know why I thought that Genemender was Human.

-- And note that until the Librarian travelled to Path Kethona the Foreunners had hidden the knowledge that they had destroyed the Precursors and it had even been buried deep in the Domain over the passage of millennia.

-- The Forerunners in Path Kethona were exiles. After their genocide it was clear even to the Warrior caste that they had to hide what they did even from themselves or the guilt of their transgression against the Mantle would destroy them. (One can theorize that it was this rigidity of thought that classed them as failures in the Precursors eyes in the first place.)
I was using Path Kethona as an example that the Forerunners weren't as knowledgeable as they thought they were.

"The lieutenant's eyes widened as a long string of meritorious citations and battlefield commendations cascaded down the monochromatic screen, OIRON, KALEIDOSCOPE, TANGLE-WOORD, TREBUCHET." - Contact Harvest p. 47 After Lieutenant Downs checked Johnson UNSC serial number

Korten

Banned
I meant "relative" as in family member, not "relation" as in story. ;)

Oh. Um... Not sure, they haven't told us yet. Right now it's pure speculation.

@Caayn: What do you think? Should the character section be characters in general or characters important post-Halo 4 or at the very least important post-Halo 3?

Caayn

I've asked this question in another thread, but I think I'm more likely to get a (faster/better?) response here :)

So guys, I'm planning to pick up a second-hand Xbox 360 tomorrow, solely for Banjo-Kazooie and (to replay) Banjo-Tooie. Halo 3, ODST, Reach and 4, among others, are included in this second-hand set, but I've got a question about those. What exactly is the reason for the high scores (I use Gamerankings.com for the averages), the singleplayer or multiplayer? Since I don't intend to use the Xbox for online (I've got a PS3, but I do have to make a Silver account to access XBLA), I think I'd rather bargain to have those Halo games removed for a lower price if the MP is the biggest reason why Halo gets the praise.
You do realize that you're asking this question in a thread about the lore? But to give a normal reaction :p Halo is mostly known for its multiplayer. However the campaigns are certainly worth the try. It has some of the best AI and firefights(not counting Halo 4) in any shooter. Just play the campaign on Heroic and experimenting a lot is recommended.
@Caayn: What do you think? Should the character section be characters in general or characters important post-Halo 4 or at the very least important post-Halo 3?
Uhmm I suppose it should be used for the important characters of the lore in its entirety, not just post-Halo X. As this thread is about the entire Halo lore and just certain pieces of it.
How about 12(2 rows), maybe 18(3 rows), characters max?

Edit: On the other hand a more recent character, those that are important now and future, overview would also be logical.
-- I suppose, but the Precursor/Gravemind would probably be cognizant of survivors.
Fair enough :)

3bdelilah

Banned
You do realize that you're asking this question in a thread about the lore? But to give a normal reaction :p Halo is mostly known for its multiplayer. However the campaigns are certainly worth the try. It has some of the best AI and firefights(not counting Halo 4) in any shooter. Just play the campaign on Heroic and experimenting a lot is recommended.

Haha yeah I know, but I haven't read any of the posts though, to avoid getting stuff spoiled for me. :p But thanks for the reply man, appreciate it. Might give it a try then. Now, I'm getting the hell out of here before I read something

Korten

Banned
Uhmm I suppose it should be used for the important characters of the lore in its entirety, not just post-Halo X. As this thread is about the entire Halo lore and just certain pieces of it.
How about 12(2 rows), maybe 18(3 rows), characters max?

Edit: On the other hand a more recent character, those that are important now and future, overview would also be logical.

Okay so we got 13 characters right now, we should add at least 5 more then? Who do you think should be added? I think the Iso-Didact is a given...

Also in case anyone didn't notice: I changed the header image, and I also added Jul 'mdama's faction to the faction list.

Caayn

Okay so we got 13 characters right now, we should add at least 5 more then? Who do you think should be added? I think the Iso-Didact is a given...

Also in case anyone didn't notice: I changed the header image, and I also added Jul 'mdama's faction to the faction list.
Maybe you can add ONI to the faction list. The UNSC and ONI aren't exactly best friends under the surface.

As mentioned before I'd vote for Mendicant Bias, Black Box and Serin Osman to be added to the character list. All three of them are pretty big characters and will have a major impact on the future timeline.

Stupid question but what happened to the iso-Didact after the Halo Array fired and he sentenced Mendicant Bias?

Chettlar

Banned

Maybe add Noble team as a single character. None of them were individually really major, but all together they were important.

Korten

Banned
Maybe you can add ONI to the faction list. The UNSC and ONI aren't exactly best friends under the surface.

As mentioned before I'd vote for Mendicant Bias, Black Box and Serin Osman to be added to the character list. All three of them are pretty big characters and will have a major impact on the future timeline.

Stupid question but what happened to the iso-Didact after the Halo Array fired and he sentenced Mendicant Bias?

Mhm... I would say the ONI thing is debatable, yes there is tension between the UNSC and ONI, but they're still together. Unlike the Covenant and Jul 'mdama's faction which the latter is more akin to a terrorist group than a government.

After the activation of the Halo Arrays, Iso-Didact and Chant-to-Green (the new Librarian), watched over the seeding progress and even met with Riser and a Human village on the Ark before putting them on Earth. (To which both Iso and Riser wished that their descedants would eventually meet, since 343i has hinted a connection between Riser and John-117, it's possible we may see a child of the Iso-Didact return to the galaxy.) After that the Iso-Didact and Chant-To-Green exiled themselves, it is unknown where they're now or if they're alive.

Okay, so the character list may go over the 18 limit but we could add...

Iso-Didact, Mendicant Bias, BlackBox, Osman, Noble Team (not just Noble Six), and maybe also Buck's ODST Squad?

Also then again, that does depend if we want to keep characters that were important pre-Halo 3. (Note: I'm not talking timeline wise, since some characters that were important
in pre-Halo 3 are still important.)

"The lieutenant's eyes widened as a long string of meritorious citations and battlefield commendations cascaded down the monochromatic screen, ORION, KALEIDOSCOPE, TANGLE-WOORD, TREBUCHET." - Contact Harvest p. 47 After Lieutenant Downs checked Johnson UNSC serial number
Yeah I always thought Johnson was involved in it as it was a long held fan believe. Then Contact pretty much confirmed it.

Was any other members of ORION ever confirmed?

Side note: I hope the Spartan team aboard SoF gets intergrated into future books/comics/games they were pretty badass.
Need to focus on how the IIs are going, I don't think people are really interested in the Spartan 4s.

Halo Wars is completely not-canon, right?

I remember listening to one of the early audio books and loving the idea that if an elite drew his sword, it had to taste blood.

Also the idea that if anyone touched a weapon near a prophet, they'd be obliterated.

Then Halo Wars does this fucking scene.

http://youtu.be/KmjcLujTDhk?t=10m35s

That was the fucking clincher for me.

Korten

Banned
Halo Wars is completely not-canon, right?

I remember listening to one of the early audio books and loving the idea that if an elite drew his sword, it had to taste blood.

Also the idea that if anyone touched a weapon near a prophet, they'd be obliterated.

Then Halo Wars does this fucking scene.

http://youtu.be/KmjcLujTDhk?t=10m35s

That was the fucking clincher for me.

Halo Wars is fully canon... In fact the Spirit of Fire is making it's debut in the present day in the newest comics.

Korten

Banned
Another question, so currently I have the fifth faction listed be Jul 'mdama's covenant faction, however there is multiple Covenant Remnant factions (another being the Arbiters.)

Should I change the logo and link to the Covenant Remnant page or just add another faction for the Arbiters?

Fuchsdh

-- Ripa was a bloody-handed berserker. It doesn't surprise me he would unsheathe blades without a care in the world.

Pretty much. The dude escapes from a prison brawl after he was incarcerated for trying to overthrow the Elite hierarchy. Guy's not exactly subtle, nor is he necessarily pious.

LordOfChaos

A few things to ponder, haven't read the thread, sorry if they were brought up.

During the Forerunner-Flood war, the Forerunner themselves resorted to glassing their own planets, like the humans had. Ur-Didact also now knows why the humans did it, because of the flood. He also had his revenge and devolved them, and what he's fighting in Halo 4 barely had anything to do with the race that fought his. So what's the deal with him still being mad? And how will he take the mantle when he's just about the last forerunner alive, he can't do it without a large species?

The first, if the Precursors were an intergalactic race, who seeded life in multiple galaxies, why is it that it's assumed all of them were killed off or became the flood, if the forerunners were more limited to this galaxy and near star systems? I know the Forerunner hunted them down in the Milky way and one other region I forget the name of, but the precursors could be in multiple other galaxies.
Second, I've heard two versions of the Flood creation, one was that it was a mutation of the powder they made themselves into, it was corrupted and not supposed to happen like it did. The second is that they intentionally made themselves into the flood to get back at the Forerunners. So how can both be true? Was it an accidental mutation because they were revived after too long, or was it intentional from the start?

And the Halo 4 legendary ending speech, there seems to be some debate elsewhere if the ur-diadect survived Halo 4. But with the legendary ending speech, to me it seems obvious he did. It sounds to me like him talking, presumably to a group of forerunner, about the event up until that point. When else had Forerunners squandered eons in the darkness? When else before he was put in the cryptum had the "reclamation" begun? When he was put in there humans were in shambles still. And only now are humans taking Forerunner triumphs (engines, shields, etc) for themselves.
So to me, it seems obvious the speech is post-Halo 4 and he is alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60MWF0UHKZ0

I found this interesting, at first it would just seem an archaic Covenant AI, but it also says it was never made...That makes me wonder if there's more to it? Or perhaps it just means it was cobbled together (as the Covies do with Forerunner tech) with no specific purpose, a mishmash of parts to pilot the ship that eventually formed a crude AI.

EDIT: The other Covanant AI seems to confirm that it was a crude copy, but from humans -
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Unnamed_Covenant_AI

Tzeentch

So what's the deal with him still being mad? And how will he take the mantle when he's just about the last forerunner alive, he can't do it without a large species?
-- He's insane. His mind was basically jacked by one of the most intelligent and evil entities in existence. All his flaws were magnified a thousandfold. And if the Forerunners can't have the mantle no one will.

Halo: Silentium, p. 224. Ur-Didact: “This quest to fulfill the Mantle has haunted me my entire life. And for countless millennia, we have failed to realize the one truth that could have saved us from the beginning. The Mantle isn’t to be inherited by the noble, it is to be taken by the strong.”

Halo: Silentium, p. 206. Mendicant Bias: “I cannot know for certain [why the Didact was released], but the Gravemind never acts without intent. There’s apparently a larger game to be played, a sharply twisted game of revenge, for which my co-creator has been preserved.”
Halo: Silentium, p. 226. Ur-Didact: “Everything it [the Flood] touches is afflicted with madness. It has touched me. I am myself mad!”
Halo: Silentium, p. 288. Librarian: [Referring to the Ur-Didacts interrogation by the Primordial/Gravemind] “Such a creature, with such a dark brilliance, would play upon his oldest fears, twist emotions made fragile during a lifetime of war and hardship and politics. Twist, intensify – and distort them.”
Halo: Silentium, p. 298. Librarian: “He [the Ur-Didact] will violate the Mantle, in order to seize it.”
Halo 4, Epilogue (voiceover). Ur-Didact: “The Mantle of Responsibility for all things belongs to Forerunners alone!”
Halo 4, Level 5: Reclaimer (cutscene): Librarian: “But the Didact refused to yield our Mantle of Responsibility.”
Halo 4, Level 4: Infinity, Terminal 3. Librarian: “'Yes, the Mantle is ours. And we hold it so tight, even in death we shall hold it still ...”
The first, if the Precursors were an intergalactic race, who seeded life in multiple galaxies, why is it that it's assumed all of them were killed off or became the flood, if the forerunners were more limited to this galaxy and near star systems? I know the Forerunner hunted them down in the Milky way and one other region I forget the name of, but the precursors could be in multiple other galaxies.
-- By multiple read: two. The Forerunners were very thorough. The Precursor himself only mentions two places they were active.
Second, I've heard two versions of the Flood creation, one was that it was a mutation of the powder they made themselves into, it was corrupted and not supposed to happen like it did. The second is that they intentionally made themselves into the flood to get back at the Forerunners. So how can both be true? Was it an accidental mutation because they were revived after too long, or was it intentional from the start?
-- Accidental at first, then an intentional action.

Halo: Silentium, pp. 181-182. Librarian: “We were not then powerful enough to erase all evidence of the Precursors, to destroy their star roads and citadels and other artifacts. And so we left at least on Precursor behind, to live out dreams of vengeance and hatred, to lay down plans in cold and darkness at the heart of a lost asteroid over millions of years.”

And the Halo 4 legendary ending speech, there seems to be some debate elsewhere if the ur-diadect survived Halo 4. But with the legendary ending speech, to me it seems obvious he did.
-- He fell into a slipspace portal that was linked to Requiem at least.
It sounds to me like him talking, presumably to a group of forerunner, about the event up until that point. When else had Forerunners squandered eons in the darkness? When else before he was put in the cryptum had the "reclamation" begun? When he was put in there humans were in shambles still. And only now are humans taking Forerunner triumphs (engines, shields, etc) for themselves.
So to me, it seems obvious the speech is post-Halo 4 and he is alive.
-- I believe so.
-- It's possible hes talking to the Forerunners-in-exile that either flew off to Path Kethona or are sequestered in another part of the galaxy still crying in their cheerios the last 100K years.
-- Or, as an alternate theory, he's debating with the Domain. Although how that survived would be interest.
-- Third possibility? He's talking to the shadows of his children in their war sphinxes (hence why one shows up in the Halo 5 intro movie).
I found this interesting, at first it would just seem an archaic Covenant AI, but it also says it was never made...That makes me wonder if there's more to it? Or perhaps it just means it was cobbled together (as the Covies do with Forerunner tech) with no specific purpose, a mishmash of parts to pilot the ship that eventually formed a crude AI.
-- Probably a Covenant copy of an ancilla. The code is similar because the Librarian made sure that humans could reconstitute certain core technologies.
-- Not sure what the canonical answer is yet re: Covenant security constructs.

Fuchsdh

The Halo 4 epilogue speech could also just be VO from a presentation the Didact made to the council whenever. The time period and context isn't clear.

As to the nature of his survival, we know at least data could make it through that portal fine since New Phoenix humans' memories made their way to the Didact's gift on Requiem six months later. I don't think it's a stretch to say he could have survived, or died--either to suit 343's purposes.

As to the nature of his survival, we know at least data could make it through that portal fine since New Phoenix humans' memories made their way to the Didact's gift on Requiem six months later. I don't think it's a stretch to say he could have survived, or died--either to suit 343's purposes.
I'm pretty confident he will return. Are the Covenant remnant really strong enough to threaten both Humanity and the Arbiters Elites? I don't see Halo 5 been focused just on Covenant remnants. Plus his death on 4 was very weak, the big bad return of the Forerunners stopped by a single pulse grenade.

Prometheans in 4 were both Human and Forerunner minds correct? Not just human?

Korten

Banned
The Halo 4 epilogue speech could also just be VO from a presentation the Didact made to the council whenever. The time period and context isn't clear.

Most likely survived, since because of the testing to try and make himself flood proof, he became immune to the composer, like how the Chief is now.

Fuchsdh

Most likely survived, since because of the testing to try and make himself flood proof, he became immune to the composer, like how the Chief is now.

Well it very much depends on what the nature of the portal was and its exit point. I don't think the portal itself was doing anything but transferring the composed individuals to Requiem--whether he was immune to the Composer shouldn't matter since he wasn't jumping into the beam pointed at Earth. But does it just pop open a portal right next to Requiem, deep inside, etc? And if the Didact was on Requiem, why wouldn't he have stopped Jul from blowing up his big fortress world?

You know...I would be ok with a Halo reboot. It just seems like the lore is scattered so heavily. I had no idea what was happening in Halo 4 despite never missing a game.

Also the books by Nylund always felt superior to the games stories. But I know they won't reboot Halo so instead I hope going forward they just have someone talented pave the way forward.

Korten

Banned
Well it very much depends on what the nature of the portal was and its exit point. I don't think the portal itself was doing anything but transferring the composed individuals to Requiem--whether he was immune to the Composer shouldn't matter since he wasn't jumping into the beam pointed at Earth. But does it just pop open a portal right next to Requiem, deep inside, etc? And if the Didact was on Requiem, why wouldn't he have stopped Jul from blowing up his big fortress world?

Well that depends I guess if he cared for Reqiuem by this point. He may have gone onto other, more defensible shield worlds or planets, or hell found a Key ship. Those things are fuckin huge.

Korten

Banned
Dafaq? That's weird cause for me it's working fine... Let me check something...

Let me delete some old images to see if it fixes it.

I will need to make a new photobucket account, my bandwith for the moment has been exceeded I guess.

ryamkajr

Banned
---- It's possible hes talking to the Forerunners-in-exile that either flew off to Path Kethona or are sequestered in another part of the galaxy still crying in their cheerios the last 100K years.

I thought they made it clear that when Omega Halo fired, it was pointed directly at Path Kethona which would have wiped out all Forerunner there when it fired to allow the Librarian to escape the Ark.

:-(

<halo nerd>

Korten

Banned
Actually, does anyone have a site that doesn't have the stupid bandwith limit? Cause it seems the bandwith goes up every time an image is viewed... And since this thread has been over 10k times, it used it up, VERY fast.

Korten

Banned
Everyone! It is fixed! Took a bit of reuploading and then changing a bunch of codes in the main post, but I did it. Hopefully we don't get the same issues as before...

Fuck the guy whoever approved Glasslands existence.

Just completely shitted on Dr. Halsey with it's pretentious self righteous bullshit.

Then you have ONI being complete morons and trying to start a civil war with a race that had literally just saved humanity from extinction MONTHS before and now they want to arm a faction with weapons that actively HATE humanity?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Just completely shitted on Dr. Halsey with it's pretentious self righteous bullshit.

Then you have ONI being complete morons and trying to start a civil war with a race that had literally just saved humanity from extinction MONTHS before and now they want to arm a faction with weapons that actively HATE humanity?

Yeah I really hated all those things as well. And once the Arbiter finds out...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I love the books by Eric Nylund, especially Ghosts of Onyx.

Has it gone downhill since then? I really stopped looking into lore after Reach.

Korten

Banned

Not saying you can't have grevinces, however if you intend to be in this thread only to shit on stuff rather than have healthy and nice discussions, I can't force you, but please leave. I don't want this to become one big bashing thread, and I feel posts like this will lead into that.

T'Zariah

Banned
Not saying you can't have grevinces, however if you intend to be in this thread only to shit on stuff rather than have healthy and nice discussions, I can't force you, but please leave. I don't want this to become one big bashing thread, and I feel posts like this will lead into that.

Lol, seriously?

A good majority of the posts in this thread are passive aggressive grievances. Get out of here with that whole "We need a nice discussion!"

If 343 fucked up, they fucked up. Simple as that.

Korten

Banned
Lol, seriously?

A good majority of the posts in this thread are passive aggressive grievances. Get out of here with that whole "We need a nice discussion!"

If 343 fucked up, they fucked up. Simple as that.

Wow... So you think bashing should be allowed? The same thing that caused the original Halo thread to be closed? No, I don't want that. Can you have opinions? Of course, that's the basis for the entire discussion, however when it goes from: "I personally don't like what they did with this..." to "Wow this is fucking terrible and they should be fired."

Then the line is crossed, this thread isn't here to bash.

Has there been posts about it how they think 343 screwed up? Yeah, but the better discussions have stemmed from actual talking about the lore rather than the company.

Edit: And just to be clear, i'm not 100% good on what 343i did with the Kilo-Five trilogy, I do feel the book trilogy is lower quality than the rest of the novels... That being said, I can still look past it, while still acknowledging it's faults.

Flipyap

Eh, Glasslands was relatively harmless compared to the things Spartan Ops did to Dr. Halsey (all hail the evil one-armed space lizard queen!).

Also, ONI starting a civil war? Pfft. That's child's play. These are the same cartoon villains who tried to weaponize the Flood. Talk about an impossibly stupid evil scheme.

Top Bottom