• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony "abandons" The Last Guardian trademark [Up: Sony: Game is still in development]

Honestly, what I fear most is that this comes out Q4 2013 for PS3 alongside a PS4 launch. For one I always sell my consoles to buy new ones and also the game will look dated next to the next gen games and will take some enjoyment out of it.

Q1 would be perfect.

Like I said earlier, they've got way too much time and money sunk into this for them to cancel. They'll release a half-assed variation of the game before they choose to can it.

Like I said earlier, they've got way too much time and money sunk into this for them to cancel. They'll release a half-assed variation of the game before they choose to can it.

I'm starting to think that's going to happen. Either it'll be a PS3 swan song, or a PS4 launch title. Launch titles have a certain amount of fault tolerance....

bon

Sony and Square should mash The Last Guardian and FF Versus XIII together and maybe they'll end up with one complete game.

CCTV footage from Team Ico's office
73.gif

winstano

I get the feeling this game is going to be a bit like Chinese Democracy if/when it eventually comes out. The guy from the BBC said that this was the "super secret incredible game" that he was under strict instruction not to mention, and this was 4 years ago. "Due for release in 2009" was his wording at the time...

I've been holding off playing the ICO/SOTC collection until this has a release date, but I'm thinking I might just get involved in them now. This has become a huge farce for Sony. With both TLG and Agent being mentioned at E3 2009, and not a single thing shown from either since then, it's a bit frustrating!

I have to give credit to Ueda; we all thought we knew that there were only two potential outcomes to this game, that either the kid dies, or the griffin dies. But he really did surprise us by instead making the game itself die.

Bravo.

Oh. My. God.

Between this and Bikers in Paris, GAF has been on fire today!

SJRB

Gold Member
How about the OP updates his first post with the news in the thread title?

I'm not reading through 17 pages.

So, does SCEA still have the opportunity to reapply for the trademark? Or is it up for grabs, which means somebody probably filed for it the moment this became known, and they'll try and get SCEA to buy it from them?

SCEA fucking things up in regards to an SCEJ game is no surprise to me at all. That is my biggest beef with SCEA. They employ amazing developers and make great deals to get third party services on PSN, but they treat SCE's other arms like shit.

Even SCEE often doesn't get the respect they reserve, like when SCEE pushed Killzone 2 HARD as FUCK, treating it like SCE's answer to Halo and Call of Duty, while SCEA just sent out some shitty packets to retailers about Metacritic scores, totally botching their best opportunity to turn the IP into something substantial.

And, of course, there's Demon's Souls. Fucking Demon's Souls. But I guess SCEE is equally at fault there.

krYlon

This whole sorry saga may just be worth it for The Thing gifs.

That's what I'll tell myself anyway. I was so excited for this game 3 years ago :(

So, does SCEA still have the opportunity to reapply for the trademark? Or is it up for grabs, which means somebody probably filed for it the moment this became known and they'll try and get SCEA to buy it from them?

SCEA fucking things up in regards to an SCEJ game is no surprise to me at all. That is my biggest beef with SCEA. They employ amazing developers and make great deals to get third party services on PSN, but they treat SCE's other arms like shit.

Even SCEE often doesn't get the respect they reserve, like when SCEE pushed Killzone 2 HARD as FUCK, treating it like SCE's answer to Halo and Call of Duty, while SCEA just sent out some shitty packets to retailers about Metacritic scores, totally botching their best opportunity to turn the IP into something substantial.

And, of course, there's Demon's Souls. Fucking Demon's Souls. But I guess SCEE is equally at fault there.

It doesn't work that way.

I meant to comment on how amazing the gifs in this thread are, as usual. Thank you so much Gaf. I was floored by all 'of em, and this is coming from someone who just wants the game to be finished ._.

It doesn't work that way.

Right. I'm pretty sure I posted something about this on page 3 or 4. You need to have a bona fide intent to use the trademark. It's not like calling "shotgun." Same goes with URL's. You can't just buy up a URL that you think some company would want, planning on getting pizzaid by them when they need it. There are laws for this stuff.

I'm pretty sure that they can file a new extension for the intent to use application. That would get them another 6 months (as of June). Otherwise, they could just file a brand new ItU application. Shouldn't be a big deal.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Same goes with URL's. You can't just buy up a URL that you think some company would want, planning on getting pizzaid by them when they need it.
You actually can more or less, assuming it isn't exploiting a pre-existing trademark.

apana

Do you mean inefficient or possibly even inept?

Corrupt doesn't strike me as a word I'd use to describe any development team...

Like Sony you lack the courage to do all that is necessary. If someone stands in the way of true gaming you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart.

Acrylic7

.... They have no choice but to say that.
At this point any more bad news and they would literally collapse on themselves like my fat Goldfish, or a Neutron Star.

But hey, lets wait and see. We will wait... and wait........ and wait.............................. and see.

Top Bottom