• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC will NOT have gamepad support

what's sad is, that they didn't hire the same dudes to do the ME1 PC port (which was really really good), and ME2 PC port was really terrible. HOPEFULLY ( i really doubt) the mouse and keyboard is as good as ME1

Well at least as far as perfomance goes ME2 absolutely destroys ME on PC. Original ME ran like shit on PC. ME2 on the other hand run like charm even with little weaker computer.

Ploid 3.0

The worst thing is, in Mass Effect 2 you could get full proper Xbox 360 controller support (with the correct button prompts and everything) just by modifying .ini files, but the textures for the weapon/power wheel had been removed, making it basically useless. In other words, they deliberately broke it so that no-one could use it. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case here too.

In ME2 PC I could swear I saw 360 buttons show up for a split second when some of the menus load, like the galaxy map menu. Such a tease.

Firebrand

Not terribly surprised, but still disappointing. Why can't they just leave the option in if they've already developed a gamepad interface for consoles?

The worst thing is, in Mass Effect 2 you could get full proper Xbox 360 controller support (with the correct button prompts and everything) just by modifying .ini files, but the textures for the weapon/power wheel had been removed, making it basically useless. In other words, they deliberately broke it so that no-one could use it. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case here too.
Huh, I never knew this. Bioware going the extra mile to deliver inferior products... well, at least it's not laziness then.

no offense but bioware are doing it right with mass effect, they have different UI than the console version that really fit a pc game and everything work perfectly without any delay.

good job bioware for making a good pc port (just played the demo btw).

No, it should allow you to plug in a controller and have the UI switch.

mclem

Do any other Bioware franchises have gamepad support on PC? This seems almost intentional at this point.

I do wonder if it's an attempt to appeal to the sort of zealot who believes that *anything* which can be construed as making the game console-like is a travesty.

Misguided as hell... but distressingly plausible.

Jtrizzy

I won't be buying because of this. PS3 frame rates in outdoor areas are garbage, so I won't even rent. Although I might try the G 13 joy stick. I built a pc for everything but the kb/m. I've been a console gamer for so long that it's too counter intuitive using a key board. The mouse aspect is great, but the keyboard is too much and I have it hooked up to a 50 tv in my living room.

BioWare really are lazy lately. There's no reason that it doesn't have support other than pure laziness, surely.

It has nothing to do with laziness, EA wants people to buy another copy of the game to use a controller, kinda how most if not all of their multiplayer games don't support split-screen. Greedy bastards.

Not gonna buy it until its patched or a mod adds it (is that possible?)

I somehow managed it for ME1 & ME2

But now, when almost everything else has support I can't be bothered to manage.

Omikaru

Since I've just gotten into playing certain PC games on my TV, with a gamepad, this is pretty appalling.

Sure, keyboard and mouse is great, but so is a big screen, and I think it's pretty bad that Bioware aren't letting PC gamers (with the capability) choose whether they want a console-like experience (but with PC performance), or whether they want to play on their desk with KB/M.

Disclosure: I wasn't getting ME3 anyway, but I'm sure there are people who are who have a similar setup to me.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ever since the X360 controller have become semi-standard for the PC, I've been buying multiplatform games for my PC. This is simply not acceptable, and a game that I may have bought on release at full price will end being bought from a bargain bin or a steam sale a year or so down the road.

I don't mind kb/m controls, but they're not optimal when I'm sitting on a couch. Unless someone can invent a univeral lap-table thingy for kb/m.

Moaradin

Luckily I don't care about this stuff. kb/m controls are great. I can understand for people who sit on their comfy couch though.

This really bums me out. I understand the argument that K/B Mouse is better in lot of ways, but I've spent the vast majority of my game time on console till recently and unless its a competitive game i'm playing I always grab a gamepad when I can.

It occurred to me that maybe the reason that Bioware goes out of its way to remove controller support is because of some weird contractual obligation from when Mass Effect was 360 exclusive. The fact that neither Dragon Age game had the support kind of disproves that fact though.

Plasma

Banned
A shame that they didn't include it, I had the same issue with ME2 when I found out it didn't have gamepad support. It's not like I want to play with a controller all the time but the game is made for multiple playthroughs and sometimes it can be nice to sit back on the couch and play on a TV.

I'm more shocked that the 'master race' and 'superior/inferior' controls posts are roaming so freely, because they're not reading like a friendly nudge anymore, but rather sincere trolling or elitism.

It's irritating, man.

Minion101

Banned
They went through the trouble of creating a PC specific UI. Maybe it's too much work to have it flip to the console one. It blows they don't include it. I prefer it for this game.

dsk1210

I won't be buying because of this. PS3 frame rates in outdoor areas are garbage, so I won't even rent. Although I might try the G 13 joy stick. I built a pc for everything but the kb/m. I've been a console gamer for so long that it's too counter intuitive using a key board. The mouse aspect is great, but the keyboard is too much and I have it hooked up to a 50 tv in my living room.

Just do what i do man, use a controller in your left hand and a mouse in your right hand, i play battlefield 3 online like that.

I play most shooters like that infact, takes a little while to get used to but is much better than kbm to me.

Dave

dsk1210

If you're thinking of using this as a sig, I'm gonna need royalties.

Or, we can settle things with an arm wrestle. Your choice.

Dave has been a registered trademark by me from 1977, i was unaware that you were breaking my trademark.

My lawyers have been informed. ;)

Dave™

After playing the demo and witnessing the glorious PS2 textures, I'm not really sure why any PC gamers even care since it's clear Bioware certainly doesn't.

After playing the demo and witnessing the glorious PS2 textures, I'm not really sure why any PC gamers even care since it's clear Bioware certainly doesn't.
Exactly. Mass Effect have never tried to be well suited to the PC platform in anything besides the Engine. Hell, they cut holstering weapons because they wanted to spare 4 MB of console RAM, but didn't bother to leave them in for the PC version. I don't see how I should support them with a day-1 buy, no matter how good the game is otherwise.

/rant

Crub

They probably think this will make people who mainly game on consoles not pirate the PC version. Really stupid.

If EA are seriuous about Origin, they really should start putting more effort and thought into their PC versions.

mxgt

Banned
It's a shame so many people use this thread to say they don't care because they prefer KB/M.

It should be there by default, it's pretty much a standard in PC games now.

It's not like the KB/M controls are even that good, Shepard controls like a tank and using spacebar for fucking everything is horrendous.

Jtrizzy

Just do what i do man, use a controller in your left hand and a mouse in your right hand, i play battlefield 3 online like that.

I play most shooters like that infact, takes a little while to get used to but is much better than kbm to me.

Dave

This doesn't support controllers at all. BF3 does kind of but not completely...it doesn't show the buttons though, and ones you have to tap don't work either. But that's single player so I guess that could work for mp.

SparkTR

It's not like the KB/M controls are even that good, Shepard controls like a tank and using spacebar for fucking everything is horrendous.

They are good, though. Just remap the the action/run key to Lshift (and vice versa with the space-bar) and melee to your mouse thumb button, it's a very comfortable setup. The mouse movement is also very precise, none of that sluggishness we saw in Skyrim. It sucks that gamepads aren't supported, but the M/KB controls Bioware developed aren't screwing PC gamers over by any means.

They are good, though. Just remap the the action/run key to Lshift (and vice versa with the space-bar) and melee to your mouse thumb button, it's a very comfortable setup. The mouse movement is also very precise, none of that sluggishness we saw in Skyrim. It sucks that gamepads aren't supported, but the M/KB controls Bioware developed aren't screwing PC gamers over by any means.
They're definitely better than ME2's controls. They let you disable mouse acceleration in the menu and have a slider for mouse sensitivity as opposed to ME2's options of low, medium and high.

Elginer

I'll just say again, FUCK YOU BIOWARE. Shit like this is inexcusable and lazy as hell. Yeah let's give PC players less options because... you know PC gamers don't like options.

I forget about ME2, but in ME1 at least, they modified the UI to the point where it would have made controller support awkward.

Of course, there's nothing stopping them from supporting multiple UIs, I guess.

Ricker

AND NO KINECT SUPPORT EITHER!!!

Not as big a problem and I know you are being sarcastic here but the Kinect support is very well done in the demo(and completly optional of course,even if you have Kinect).Not having the 360 pad support though is just strange and I would love to hear the runaround on that one.

Kem0sabe

This wouldn't bother me so much if these mass effect pc ports had a proper UI. No scrolling and the lack of keybinding for various interface elements are just bad form.

Apparently they just don´t give a shit about their pc fanbase... all in the name of profit... interestingly enough, every single major game release is leaked earlier on consoles than on pc´s, as much as a week early console pirated versions are available to download.

Lime

]blacky[;35156950 said:
Wait ... No ass shots anymore?

More like no sense of space or taking in the scenery.

As well as the immersion-breaking behaviour of Shepard *always* pointing an armed weapon without there being any actual firefight.

Ledsen

More like no sense of space or taking in the scenery.

As well as the immersion-breaking behaviour of Shepard *always* pointing an armed weapon without there being any actual firefight.

Wait... I thought they just had no animation for it, not that they removed holstering completely... so you're saying Shephard will constantly be running around with his gun out while on a mission? Holy shit Bioware, holy shit.

Derrick01

Banned
I mean I'm not getting this on PC anyway but I agree it's inexcusable in this day. Hell it was inexcusable back when 2 came out and it's just another thing that shows how little Bioware, who made their life on PC, cares about the platform now. Their laziness and incompetence knows no bounds.

Top Bottom