• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct - Today! Right Now! [cvxfreak summary Post #85]

I thought that was verboten.

cvxfreak's translation "SD Cards can hold PC data, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but cannot be used to save Wii U game save data."

So we've got a list of things SD cards can save, and one thing they can't save, but "Wii U games" is not on either list. My assumption would be that SD cards can hold Wii U games, but that is going off the fact that an SD card in a 3DS can hold 3DS games... I know it doesn't necessarily mean the same holds true for Wii U though. It just seems odd that it wouldn't be able to hold games too.

demidar

cvxfreak's translation "SD Cards can hold PC data, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but cannot be used to save Wii U game save data."

So we've got a list of things SD cards can save, and one thing they can't save, but "Wii U games" is not on either list. My assumption would be that SD cards can hold Wii U games, but that is going off the fact that an SD card in a 3DS can hold 3DS games... I know it doesn't necessarily mean the same holds true for Wii U though. It just seems odd that it wouldn't be able to hold games too.

Since SD cards can load PC data, isn't it possible to get homebrew in that way? It would definitely be harder than the Wii given its non-existent online accountability but still possible.

big_erk

hopefully those usb 2 WD mypassport drives work fine. i have several of those. they are very common. It's a single-corded device

I've never had a problem using those with my media player but have had issues with my normally reliable Lacie drives. I have a USB 500GB SSD that I plan to use.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't really get this and I just woke up so enlighten me, but is he saying that the same games will be released on the Wii U shop and we have to rebuy them to play them on the gamepad? Like a Wii U shop version of Super Metroid? (<--for the record I don't believe this, just laying it out there)

Or is he talking about new content like Dinky Goes Tablet Fishing? It says "Wii U Virtual Console" so I'm assuming it refers to upcoming retro games being released on the eShop.

Maybe Im not understanding, if you cant put games on a USB drive to play them off of, why the hell would I need a 2TB drive attached to my Wii U? This doesnt make sense, if I cant put the largest files I will have onto a USB drive, why bother connecting one at all? Saves arent that big.

Heres where Im pulling that info from

"No games on USB Flash Memory due to games not running properly all the time (whatever this means...)"

A USB hard drive and USB Flash Memory are two different things. You can attach a USB Hard Drive and download and install games to it just fine. USB Flash Memory, which are those small USB sticks you see all over the place, are different and Nintendo recommends not using them.

USB Hard Drive

USB-Hard-Drive.jpg

USB Flash Memory

cruzermircohorizontal16G360x271.jpg

big_erk

A USB hard drive and USB Flash Memory are two different things. You can attach a USB Hard Drive and download and install games to it just fine. USB Flash Memory, which are those small USB sticks you see all over the place, are different and Nintendo recommends not using them.

USB Hard Drive

USB Flash Memory

Explained in true Nintendo fashion. I approve.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
About this stuff on whether you can redownload Wii U purchases on a new console:

So far, the only negatory they've specified is that if you download a game to an external HD, you cannot plug that HD into another Wii U and play the game. That games are associated with the console they're downloaded on so others can play them, is exactly like the 360 and PS3. In the case of the 360, you can redownload on a new console, and you personally can play the game so long as you're logged into xbox live. The purchase is associated with your account as the primary owner.

Changing which console the purchases are "naturalized" to requires using a tool outside the system to perform a total console license reset.

The only thing Nintendo hasn't clarified yet, is whether you can redownload a game to a foreign system using your Nintendo network ID, and personally play it. But they stated the purchases are now associated with and tracked using your network ID account.

Given that the online web based Nintendo network ID system is not online yet, we do not know what it will offer. For example, a web based tool could be used to change console software licenses for attaching purchases to a new console, same as Microsoft uses.

As for the Wii U VC, the last hope (however unlikely it seems) is that when the U virtual console is rolled out, it offers importing of Wii VC games legally transfered to the Wii U using the system transfer tool, and then asks the user to select a Nintendo network ID to associate those imported games with. Which would be a one time offer, and permanent obviously, so ownership of the VC software couldn't be farmed out to multiple NNID accounts.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why am I not surprised that people are suddenly spouting nonsense regarding the USB cautions?

I told myself to avoid posting in Wii U threads because you see the typical stupid, and yet I'm fascinated by the reaction.

About this stuff on whether you can redownload Wii U purchases on a new console:

So far, the only negatory they've specified is that if you download a game to an external HD, you cannot plug that HD into another Wii U and play the game. That games are associated with the console they're downloaded on so others can play them, is exactly like the 360 and PS3. In the case of the 360, you can redownload on a new console, and you personally can play the game so long as you're logged into xbox live. The purchase is associated with your account as the primary owner.

Changing which console the purchases are "naturalized" to requires using a tool outside the system to perform a total console license reset.

The only thing Nintendo hasn't clarified yet, is whether you can redownload a game to a foreign system using your Nintendo network ID, and personally play it. But they stated the purchases are now associated with and tracked using your network ID account.

Given that the online web based Nintendo network ID system is not online yet, we do not know what it will offer. For example, a web based tool could be used to change console software licenses for attaching purchases to a new console, same as Microsoft uses.

As for the Wii U VC, the last hope (however unlikely it seems) is that when the U virtual console is rolled out, it offers importing of Wii VC games legally transfered to the Wii U using the system transfer tool, and then asks the user to select a Nintendo network ID to associate those imported games with. Which would be a one time offer, and permanent obviously, so ownership of the VC software couldn't be farmed out to multiple NNID accounts.

well since you can't just stick an SD card with VC software on it into any Wii and play those games, there has to be a license transfer taking place when you transfer over all your Wii stuff to the Wii U, so it's certainly plausible that this could happen.

i'm just not expecting it to. i'm expecting Nintendo to see the Wii U versions as a separate new purchase with new features that were never promised to us when we bought those original Wii VC games. I'll be very happy to be wrong, but I see the fact you can still run your old Wii software on the system being used as an excuse for NOT letting you get the new version for free. 'what? you can still play all the games you already bought. what's the problem?'

Since SD cards can load PC data, isn't it possible to get homebrew in that way? It would definitely be harder than the Wii given its non-existent online accountability but still possible.

Only if you can encrypt it with the correct keys / methods. Which hasn't been possible for the 3DS yet as far as I know.

Drago

3gb on Basic. Woohoo :[

Nice to hear that there are plans to make a WiiU VC, but the updated versions better be free if I already have the Wii version of it.

Nice to hear that there are plans to make a WiiU VC, but the updated versions better be free if I already have the Wii version of it.

Which kind of makes transferring your purchases over to Wii U pointless, unless if you have them on your system it can "detect" that you've bought them in the shop, or unless you can tie your Club Nintendo and Nintendo Network ID together.

In which case they could have verified that simply by stating "you cannot play your transferred VC titles on the Gamepad right out of the box but we will soon allow you to re-download those titles you have purchased at no additional cost and those will play on the Gamepad"

Nintendo.

I've never had a problem using those with my media player but have had issues with my normally reliable Lacie drives. I have a USB 500GB SSD that I plan to use.

Holy shit, that must have cost you a pretty penny. Doesn't the USB2 connection hold back the SSD, speedwise?

Roo

3gb on Basic. Woohoo :[

This so much!
I really hope they make an update program for those games that you already own FOR FREE

No. To do this you would need to contact Nintendo and ask about the possibility of moving the content over to the new Wii U. To do this with a 3DS, you need a police report so they have proof that the original one was lost/stolen (or you need to send them your broken 3DS as proof, I suppose).

The FUCK?

Surely you are joking?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Holy shit, that must have cost you a pretty penny. Doesn't the USB2 connection hold back the SSD, speedwise?
USB2 can limit even regular flash drivers/SDs, so SSD on a USB2 is a dubious decision.

Back to the ND: is it just me or did Iwata indeed say that the USB storage would be formatted in a proprietary format incompatible with known FS'es?

PhantomR

Banned
That's what I gathered when I watched the video.

MEGATON.

Too bad you'll probably have to re-purchase the software, even if it's on Wii Mode.

reggie.jpg

Um, no.

Did Nintendo force us to re-purchase software when they added functionality to the 3DS Ambassador titles? No.

Yeah if we have to rebuy all of those games, that will not sit well with me whatsoever. And why should it? I spent hundreds of dollars building that retro collection already; they can't seriously expect me to do so again.

No. There has to be something to it. Nintendo does questionable things here and there, but I will be legitimately shocked if this were the case.

PhantomR

Banned
... ambassador titles which are available as NES titles on the Wii's Virtual Console. Along with a whole other bunch of stuff we bought.

....which does NOTHING to negate my point? I'm not sure what Wii virtual console has to do with anything. Point is, Nintendo already has a history of providing more functionality to legacy software via system updates without making consumers pay.

corn_fest

Yeah if we have to rebuy all of those games, that will not sit well with me whatsoever. And why should it? I spent hundreds of dollars building that retro collection already; they can't seriously expect me to do so again.

No. There has to be something to it. Nintendo does questionable things here and there, but I will be legitimately shocked if this were the case.

Prepare to be legitimately shocked, then. They've already done this by putting NES games on the 3DS eShop.

PhantomR

Banned
But they still forced you to rebuy NES Super Mario Bros on the 3DS, even if you already own it for the Wii...

Again, what does this have to do with anything? Were you given the option to transfer titles from Wii to 3DS? Lol, no.

Are you going to be given the ability to transfer titles from Wii to Wii U? Yes. So the precedent is still there that Nintendo may update your VC content for GamePad play without a purchase, as they've done it before.

Linkup

well since you can't just stick an SD card with VC software on it into any Wii and play those games, there has to be a license transfer taking place when you transfer over all your Wii stuff to the Wii U, so it's certainly plausible that this could happen.

i'm just not expecting it to. i'm expecting Nintendo to see the Wii U versions as a separate new purchase with new features that were never promised to us when we bought those original Wii VC games. I'll be very happy to be wrong, but I see the fact you can still run your old Wii software on the system being used as an excuse for NOT letting you get the new version for free. 'what? you can still play all the games you already bought. what's the problem?'

Yup that sounds like the excuse they will use. Nintendo could be really nice about this and build some confidence toward them if they were willing to get those VC and Wiiware games on Wii U without charging again. Even just a certain amount "upgraded" to Wii U features for free or very small fee would be better than what people are likely facing here.

I wish I knew how much effort it would take them and third parties to make a situation where everyone is happy and also happy to buy more VC titles and new ones verses making most of us sour and ignore most eShop titles in the process.

About the USB stuff, me and many others probably have no clue so really Nintendo just made us think maybe the system would have problems with USB HDD. Seems like the ones that ran there games off usb on Wii were expecting all this.

Which kind of makes transferring your purchases over to Wii U pointless, unless if you have them on your system it can "detect" that you've bought them in the shop, or unless you can tie your Club Nintendo and Nintendo Network ID together.

In which case they could have verified that simply by stating "you cannot play your transferred VC titles on the Gamepad right out of the box but we will soon allow you to re-download those titles you have purchased at no additional cost and those will play on the Gamepad"

Nintendo.

But then they would promise you something that might not become reality.

Nintendo doesn't give two shits about VC which was painfully obvious for years now given their abysmal support and output.

They will charge you for the new WiiU versions. Dat Gamepad premium.

rpmurphy

I still don't get how you go about creating your ID. Is it like ps3/360 where you create a tag and see if it's available, or like the 3ds?
You will have a unique, user-created ID, so that is the presumption. But who knows if it's like Steam and you are assigned an ID first and then you can create a custom ID.

Prepare to be legitimately shocked, then. They've already done this by putting NES games on the 3DS eShop.

I refuse to believe they could be this stupid. I refuse. That would be the biggest "fuck you" in recent memory.

With the 3DS, yeah, that sucked, but this is the Wii's successor, the successor to the actual console that the VC games were originally purchased on. I can sort of get how you'd have to buy them again on the 3DS as its a different platform-- still not ideal and the whole thing should have been under an ID, but whatever.

If there was some kind of technical blunder that wouldn't allow them to make it to where you can play the originally bought VC games on the gamepad, okay, shit happens-- but there is zero excuse to not allow Club Nintendo members who have already bought the same games to get the "updated" versions for free.

This, of course, is assuming a lot of things that I still feel like we're in the dark about, but welcome to Wii U.

Nintendo doesn't give two shits about VC which was painfully obvious for years now given their abysmal support and output.

Maybe I'm one of the few that thought the support was actually good. I have somewhere around 60 VC titles (59 I think) and most of them consist of my favorite games of all time. Being able to play those games on the gamepad would be fucking awesome to me.

TriGen

This also explains why the gamepad needs an AC adapter.

Good thought. The GamePad and an external HDD getting their power at the same time was likely too much for Nintendo to allow, so they made the GamePad use an AC adapter to avoid trouble.

....which does NOTHING to negate my point? I'm not sure what Wii virtual console has to do with anything. Point is, Nintendo already has a history of providing more functionality to legacy software via system updates without making consumers pay.

I'm not pitting companies against each other or anything, but if you bought a PS1 Classic on your PS3, you could play it on your PS3. That's pretty good value, and honestly something Nintendo should consider. It's nothing they have to do, but it's just good form on the behalf of satisfying your customers.

And when you advertise one of the main selling points of the WiiU as playing games on the screen, of course we're going to want to do that. Don't act like that's unreasonable. It is indeed impressive we've got 100% BC on Day 1, despite the draconian methods employed. That's great. But it's also a bare minimum effort, and there's no harm in pointing out how Nintendo could (and should) do better.

&#8220;You can plug in a full-on* 3tb hard drive if you want. I&#8217;ll love you as a digital consumer.&#8221; -Reggie

*full-on must refer to the fact that your drive will be formatted to 2tb.

Why must little things like this irritate me so much. What button would they have had to press to make 3tb work. Honestly. neeeeerdddddrrrraaaaaage.

Again, what does this have to do with anything? Were you given the option to transfer titles from Wii to 3DS? Lol, no.

Are you going to be given the ability to transfer titles from Wii to Wii U? Yes. So the precedent is still there that Nintendo may update your VC content for GamePad play without a purchase, as they've done it before.

That's one hell of a stretch.

Let's drop the spin and rationalisation. Personally speaking, how confident are you that Nintendo will provide free native Wii U updates for Virtual Console games they've bought on the original Wii console?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RE USB power: I suspect the reason Nintendo is saying single USB powered drives are unsupported is due to USB 3.0 portable HDDs. The Wii U only supports USB 2.0, which is fine, but they're probably covering their arses if, for whatever reason, a particular single USB 3.0 drive requires a power draw in excess of USB 2.0s capabilities. As in that case there would be performance issues.

I'm fairly certain that unless there's some really weird shit going on under the hood, a majority of single USB 2.0 HDDs will perform perfectly at full power when plugged into the Wii U.

TriGen

RE USB power: I suspect the reason Nintendo is saying single USB powered drives are unsupported is due to USB 3.0 portable HDDs. The Wii U only supports USB 2.0, which is fine, but they're probably covering their arses if, for whatever reason, a particular single USB 3.0 drive requires a power draw in excess of USB 2.0s capabilities. As in that case there would be performance issues.

I'm fairly certain that unless there's some really weird shit going on under the hood, a majority of single USB 2.0 HDDs will perform perfectly at full power when plugged into the Wii U.

Yeah, that sounds right. I'll probably grab a Y-cable just to be safe, but I would expect my HDD to work fine with just the single USB.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I take it the Y-cable is for the extra USB slot plugged to a box that is connected to an outlet?

The FUCK?

Surely you are joking?

I am not joking. Here is a quote from Nintendo Customer Service

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30976

Nintendo Customer Service said:
A unified account system will be implemented later this year with the launch of the Wii U. Eventually this same account system will be made compatible with Nintendo 3DS systems. At this time we have no additional details to offer and nothing to indicate how or if this will work outside the United States and Canada. In the meantime, if the system has a problem, taking it to an Authorized Service Center will maintain the Nintendo eShop account. If the system is stolen, we can transfer the account to a new system once we are provided with a valid police report,"

Top Bottom