• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

RedSwirl

Fantastic analisis and well articulated. The last great and influential action game was RE4 and so far it hasn't been surpassed by anything. Gears and Uncharted have more fine tuned shoot up mechanics but as for scenario design they pale in comparison. That game had the player hooked for 20 hours using the same control and shooting systems yet it retained "freshness" trough out the campaing. That's a collosal achievement not many games across videogame history can match.

I actually think Gears and Uncharted are two of the games that come closest in this regard. It's all the other shooters that just don't get it.

Kinyou

ohhh gotcha. is it analog, like walking can be done by lightly pushing the stick? i didn't really even think of it when i played
Yeah, I think that works, but I'm usually not a fan of that because you have to focus too much on it.

On a positive side, I really like the fast running (when you actually push down the A button) and how certain jumping/climbing animation change depending on your speed.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
terrible camera is terrible

N5dqw.jpg

7Nx3k.jpg

1zn0o.jpg

9tqcE.jpg

this is my biggest problem. you can see jack-shit.

I actually think Gears and Uncharted are two of the games that come closest in this regard. It's all the other shooters that just don't get it.

Uncharted 2 comes closest but still not on that level. RE4 was a solid 17-20 hours for most first runs. Quality that high for that long in an action/horror title is insane. It's the equivalent of a 50 + hour RPG with little to no downtime and core mechanics that remain fresh the whole way. It can be reached again, but it seems that shooter devs are barely trying anymore.

cvxfreak

I've played Leon and Chris' scenarios so far. This is going to take a lot of getting used to.

One thing's for sure though, the improvements many people kept demanding in RE5, such as a different control scheme, are proven with RE6 not to necessarily make a better game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've played Leon and Chris' scenarios so far. This is going to take a lot of getting used to.

One thing's for sure though, the improvements many people kept demanding in RE5, such as a different control scheme, are proven with RE6 not to necessarily make a better game.

no, this isn't on "the fans". this shit-sundae they've cooked up is when design a game by committee rather than because you actually understand why it is you're making those decisions. Strip away the big budget visuals and this would feel utterly mediocre.

If you, as a developer, look at a bullet-point list and decide to just tick them all without any understanding of what the resultant product will be, that's just... depressing.

Like I said earlier in the thread, this demo feels like it was designed by an AI.

RedSwirl

Uncharted 2 comes closest but still not on that level. RE4 was a solid 17-20 hours for most first runs. Quality that high for that long in an action/horror title is insane. It's the equivalent of a 50 + hour RPG with little to no downtime and core mechanics that remain fresh the whole way. It can be reached again, but it seems that shooter devs are barely trying anymore.

Definitely agreed. I was gonna come back and specifically mention Uncharted 2.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The demo played liked garbage, that's why. I wasn't expecting great feeling controls, but these actually hindered the game (mostly in Chris' chapter).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just find Chris's scenario so disorienting. How can you even see the bad guys?

Why does everyone have guns? FUCK!

I don't know man. There's not really a lot here. I couldn't play all the way to the end of Chris' scenario, but there wasn't really a whole lot to go off of in the other ones, especially Leon's game. That was literally 90 percent cinematic walkthrough punctuated by maybe a minute of combat.

Other than the crappy inventory system and the forced co-op, the main reason RE5 couldn't top 4 was because its level design just wasn't as imaginative. That game had a lot of variety and more than its fair share of watercooler moments. Western developers have really pushed forward in the desire to create watercooler moments but they end up doing so artificially with situations that control the player's experience to an extreme level. Japanese devs like Capcom seem to be copying this. I think what they don't realize is that RE4's watercooler moments - the set pieces that made it, were almost entirely made up of good level design. They tried to control the players' environment, not the players themselves.

I see scant traces of that in this RE6 demo, especially if you're playing co-op, but it's also looking like it'll be overshadowed by Capcom's desire for "cinematic gameplay" to try to be just like western guys.

You nailed what makes RE4 the greatest action game ever made. I think RE5 did well enough, still one of the best games this gen.

Not sure about RE6 of course but seeing how Jake's demo starts with a chase and goes into a big boss battle the variety in setpieces looks like it will be there.

I just went back and finished RE4HD which I had sitting there with a saved in chapter 5, man what a game. But my first reaction after playing so much RE6 was, omg how SLOW. RE6 is on speed. My second reaction, I CAN SEE! Perfect camera in RE4.

I just find Chris's scenario so disorienting. How can you even see the bad guys?

Bullrush everyone, dive around like a crazy person. Believe me it works.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can barely tell whether or not I'm taking damage. I don't know where to go unless I have the pointer on. The game doesn't give any useful information visually.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can barely tell whether or not I'm taking damage. I don't know where to go unless I have the pointer on. The game doesn't give any useful information visually.
I didn't even notice any since the game is like on super baby mode. I had no idea what was going on.

Leon is slow enough that you can walk around unaffected, but what the fuck. The lighting engine reminds me of dragon's dogma. Nothing looks standout. Its hard to determine what the game wants to tell you. Coming from re4...and even re5...it's just so weird.

When choosing quick game for online you go to a menu screen that has games to choose from. Here it says difficulty "Normal", this better not be normal. There is also a choice for why you are playing, here it is set for "Playing for fun". So I assume there will be an option for "speed run", "hard run" etc.. Nice of them to put that.

Some good players online now, I have made quick work of Ustanak with a few of them.

Margalis

Banned
It's the equivalent of a 50 + hour RPG with little to no downtime and core mechanics that remain fresh the whole way. It can be reached again, but it seems that shooter devs are barely trying anymore.

A lot of games these days are scared that the player is going to become bored of the core mechanics and mix things up with stuff like vehicle levels and turret sequences. (Which are usually awful)

One of the great things about RE4 is that it does mix things up, but those things still use the same core mechanics. For example the part where you ride in the mine carts. Awesome set piece that feels fresh but is still rooted in the core mechanics of the game.

Squire

Banned
I'm having trouble burning the Demo. I've tried ImgBurn and Windows stock burning program. Does the disc label need to be anything specific? I've gotten RE6 Demo to show up in my list of games, but it won't start. It gives me a disc read error, basically.

I'm using DVD+R, if that makes a difference.

I burned mine with Roxio to a DVD RW.

Are you guys using Piers, use him forget Chris. He uses a sniper rifle and the segment where he protects Chris is the closest thing to RE4/5 in the demo.

hayejin

Are you creating the Content\0000000000000000 folders? Also make sure Content doesn't become the root folder, there should be a prompt about it when you're about to start the burn.

So choose "No" or "Yes" at the prompt?

Also where is my games tab?

There is a button, at least in Leon and Chris' campaigns, that zooms out while aiming.

I forget what it is offhand but I am pretty sure it was a face button.

A lot of games these days are scared that the player is going to become bored of the core mechanics and mix things up with stuff like vehicle levels and turret sequences. (Which are usually awful)

One of the great things about RE4 is that it does mix things up, but those things still use the same core mechanics. For example the part where you ride in the mine carts. Awesome set piece that feels fresh but is still rooted in the core mechanics of the game.

Those turret and vehicle sequences are in there because the core mechanics of most shooters are terrible. I have 1 ultimate test to judge where the mechanics of shooters are ranked in my mind: Imagine that you're placed in a white square room with nothing but a 5 enemies, and a small selection of weapons. Would it still be fun, feel good, and look good? For most shooters, absolutely not. I can count MAYBE 5 shooters since 2005 that are on that list. RE4 is one of them. I can already tell RE6 is nowhere close to that from gameplay vids.

Pretty much this. Its trying to had to be something it shouldn't. I'll give it another spin tomorrow,but Chris's section was too WTF. I shut it off during Leons. Though I wonder whats the point of turnng off the location marker if the areas are so dark and pisspoor designed I have to hit the left bumper to tell me where to goe every 5 minutes? That shit was garbage in Ninja Gaiden and it's garbage here. And Capcom whom ever designed the HUD & pause menu needs a corner office ASAP.

benzy

The bloom in this is ridiculous. Why do the characters' skin glow every time they come close to a light source?

And everyone tweet Capcom about the shitty close up camera and narrow FOV. I got a headache playing Chris's part.

RedSwirl

You nailed what makes RE4 the greatest action game ever made. I think RE5 did well enough, still one of the best games this gen.

Not sure about RE6 of course but seeing how Jake's demo starts with a chase and goes into a big boss battle the variety in setpieces looks like it will be there.

I just went back and finished RE4HD which I had sitting there with a saved in chapter 5, man what a game. But my first reaction after playing so much RE6 was, omg how SLOW. RE6 is on speed. My second reaction, I CAN SEE! Perfect camera in RE4.

What's funny is that after finishing the RE6 demo I went back and played Vanquish. Man that game is fast. That game is Gears of War on cocaine.

Seik

Banned
Ok so I just tried the demo, here what I retain from all of this.

-They really need to fix up all that fucking screen tearing, seriously this is so present its offensive.

-People die like the vampires in Blade.

-I really prefer RE4-5's aiming, now the angle of view sucks and the character takes 40-45% of the screen when aiming, that white aim is bad too, laser aiming was better.

Still, the gameplay was fun, but I really need to clear my head from any previous oldschool REs or else its just frustrating.

Ok so I just tried the demo, here what I retain from all of this.

-They really need to fix up all that fucking screen tearing, seriously this is so present its offensive.

-People die like the vampires in Blade.

-I really prefer RE4-5's aiming, now the angle of view sucks and the character takes 40-45% of the screen when aiming, that white aim is bad too, laser aiming was better.

Still, the gameplay was fun, but I really need to clear my head from any previous oldschool REs or else its just frustrating.

You can switch it to laser aiming, that is the only way to go.

tenz0r

Why does everyone have guns?FUCK!

Yeah, this is exactly how I felt about Chris's scenario. I mean it's just a small part of Chris's story we played in the demo, but it didn't give me high hopes for his scenario.

Anyone know story wise why Leon's enemies are Zombies, but Jake/Chris's enemies seem to be the Jav'vo? (may have mispelled) If anything the Jav'vo seem to be what RE4/RE5 Las Plagas and Uroboros viruses/mutations were and more advance than a normal zombie virus in Leon's story.

Grisby

The tearing is awful. Jesus. Framerate isn't that good either.

And does anyone else feel the moving just feels off?

Also, Chris is drowning his sorrows! Whyz?

Yeah, this is exactly how I felt about Chris's scenario. I mean it's just a small part of Chris's story we played in the demo, but it didn't give me high hopes for his scenario.

Anyone know story wise why Leon's enemies are Zombies, but Jake/Chris's enemies seem to be the Jav'vo? (may have mispelled) If anything the Jav'vo seem to be what RE4/RE5 Las Plagas and Uroboros viruses/mutations were and more advance than a normal zombie virus in Leon's story.

Global bioterrorism, they must've just used different viruses/parasites across the world I guess.

Alright I burned the demo (and hooked up my 360 that has not been on in probably like half a year) and here are some impressions from someone who thinks Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest games ever made and that the rest of the REs range from fine to great games.

Holy shit - what the fuck?

Leon:
Alright so I am walking in super narrow corridors for like 15 minutes... with no threat of enemies... really... nothing going on. Also some unskippable in-engine cutscenes popping up - the old fashioned replay killer in the flesh again.

Lots of screen tearing. This game also has the worst in-game menu ever created and you can't pause the game in single player (which iirc you could in RE5). Firing in this game is awkward due to the fact that the laser sight and the crosshairs are constantly out of sync, they need to make one of them standard in the retail release at the very least. The slide is neat.

Chris:
Man this game performs pretty bad, I hope this is a really old build. The combat in this game is really bog standard now and the scenario in the demo was kind of dull. I still stand by my fact that Shinji Mikami is probably the only person who has made third person shooters that works on a controller. This game is no RE4/Vanquish. Scenario ends with a pretty limp "hold your ground scenario".

Jake:
Starts by running at the screen, very awkward. Then a boss fight commences that seems like it would be fine for a first boss I guess (or like, a miniboss). Nothing to write home about.

Impressions are super negative, maybe I would have had a better time on a PC version, I don't know. This does not feel like a successor to RE4, or even RE5.

Edit: Also in general I don't think the game looks that hot (especially the animations), maybe it was because the last RE I played was RE5 on a PC?

Performance wise I bet RE6 is going to end up like dragon's dogma and if that's the case I might end up waiting for the PC version.

Bullrush everyone, dive around like a crazy person. Believe me it works.

It makes me sad that this is a valid gameplay tactic in RE now....

Saw Shocking Alberto play through this yesterday on Twitch. I've played every mainline RE-game, but I think I will pass on this one for day 1. As stated earlier, take away the visual flair and you are left with a pretty mediocre game.

G-Fex

All these impressions make The King of Games laugh a little. And at the same time shake his head in his worst thoughts coming to fruition.

All these impressions make The King of Games laugh a little. And at the same time shake his head in his worst thoughts coming to fruition.

Are you trying to be like one of those posters that acts like their avatar?

Your name has to match the avatar for that to work. An amateur mistake really.

Also Yami is the king of games, not Yugi./nerdingout

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Okay...Jake is pretty damn awesome.

In hand to hand, hold LT + RT to charge a powerful running attack, you can also do this from cover. Probably known by a lot, but if you hold back and hit A while doing this he does a backflip or sidedodge without going in the ground position.

Capcom has to cater to the dudebro shootan group. Douchebaggery from the protagonist included.

Also, LOL at Chris' comment about remembering his muscle memory when crossing the pole.

G-Fex

Are you trying to be like one of those posters that acts like their avatar?

Your name has to match the avatar for that to work. An amateur mistake really.

Also Yami is the king of games, not Yugi./nerdingout

I don't think you realize how dangerous this has become.

Okay...Jake is pretty damn awesome.

In hand to hand, hold LT + RT to charge a powerful running attack, you can also do this from cover. Probably known by a lot, but if you hold back and hit A while doing this he does a backflip or sidedodge without going in the ground position.

Oh damn I need to try this.

I just got done playing with some friends online, this is going to be fantastic online. I am still finding new melee attacks and context kills, its amazing how many there are. For Ustanak I just leave him alone and see how many of those infinite respawn enemies I can kill, its a blast. Nothing like running at a dude smashing him down then doing a quick fire behind your shoulder to head shot the enemy behind you then dodging the instant the Ustanak charges at you.

The action is so fast so fluid so much fun. Speed runs and high level play on this game is going to be insane. I just wish it was not so damn easy, I want to know what this game will be like when enemies actually hurt you.

undrtakr900

*sigh* Why do companies make us jump through all these hoops to play their free-advertisement. I saw this thread and noticed the July 3rd release day, got excited and turned on my x360, only to realize its Dogma exclusive or go through the hassle of bootlegging a freaking demo.

Too bad I'm lazy lol, but on the plus side all the impressions are keeping me entertained =)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I played through this turd of a demo...

My, how the mighty have fallen. Capcom really no longer understands how to make a good game, do they? This demo was a real punch in the gut, because I wanted to believe it wasn't all over for the company. But honestly, this is the kind of garbage I'd expect from SEGA.

Really depressing stuff, folks. These guys used to be on top. What the hell happened?

Top Bottom