• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The demo is now up in other regions if you have the DD code for PS3, several people confirming they can download the demo now.

Demo is up for PS3 DD codes. 818meg. Seems rather small. Is this the same as 360 caught?

Yup, the 360 demo was the same size. It's the E3 demo.

RPGCrazied

Played through the Leon level. Holy hell is it dark. Looked great, sounded great, made me jump a couple of times. No tearing either! Yay!

Foxix Von

Played through the Leon level. Holy hell is it dark. Looked great, sounded great, made me jump a couple of times. No tearing either! Yay!

Yeah the game is REALLY dark haha. I found there was some minor slowdown when aiming which made it kind of difficult to aim properly though =/

Yuterald

I tried the demo...wow...I can't believe I gave Capcom the benefit of the doubt. The line has been crossed. I don't know how old that demo is, but that was one of the most offensive experiences I've had in awhile. Holy shit, if there was ever a game that is SO far from what it was supposed to be it would be RE6. I consider myself an old school RE fan at heart, but I respect RE4 for what it did and I enjoyed RE5 to some degree. THIS game, however, is so much worse than I thought it was going to be.

Leon's scenario was so incredibly boring. NOTHING HAPPENED! I know these scenarios are supposed to be 3x or whatever the size of RE5's single campaign, but that was a HORRIBLE first impression. Leon is supposed to be more "classic" RE, right? Whatever, dudes.

Chris's scenario was MUCH worse than I expected too. Terrible, terrible, one route level design. I knew he was going to be the "action game" scenario, but this is just too much for me. I can't do this anymore. The enemies aren't even as fun or satisfying to shoot/kill as RE4 or RE5. Is it just me or is the combat just off feeling in this game? Even knifing felt weird. Shooting dudes in their knee caps and doing those awesome pile drivers doesn't even feel as polished or good as the other two games. I just don't get what happened...

And Jake's scenario... 0_0
I couldn't even finish it.

I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. I just need to take solace in the fact that the older RE games will always be there for me in all of their perfect glory. I'm officially moving on from this franchise. It's so dead to me, for real. I just can't do this anymore. I'm out.

I tried the demo...wow...I can't believe I gave Capcom the benefit of the doubt. The line has been crossed. I don't know how old that demo is, but that was one of the most offensive experiences I've had in awhile. Holy shit, if there was ever a game that is SO far from what it was supposed to be it would be RE6. I consider myself an old school RE fan at heart, but I respect RE4 for what it did and I enjoyed RE5 to some degree. THIS game, however, is so much worse than I thought it was going to be.

Leon's scenario was so incredibly boring. NOTHING HAPPENED! I know these scenarios are supposed to be 3x or whatever the size of RE5's single campaign, but that was a HORRIBLE first impression. Leon is supposed to be more "classic" RE, right? Whatever, dudes.

Chris's scenario was MUCH worse than I expected too. Terrible, terrible, one route level design. I knew he was going to be the "action game" scenario, but this is just too much for me. I can't do this anymore. The enemies aren't even as fun or satisfying to shoot/kill as RE4 or RE5. Is it just me or is the combat just off feeling in this game? Even knifing felt weird. Shooting dudes in their knee caps and doing those awesome pile drivers doesn't even feel as polished or good as the other two games. I just don't get what happened...

And Jake's scenario... 0_0
I couldn't even finish it.

I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. I just need to take solace in the fact that the older RE games will always be there for me in all of their perfect glory. I'm officially moving on from this franchise. It's so dead to me, for real. I just can't do this anymore. I'm out.

manly-tears-4.gif

I don't actually care that much as long as the end product is fun.

Astral

manly-tears-4.gif

I don't actually care that much as long as the end product is fun.

Chris's demo is NOT fun. The area is extremely cramped. Combine that with the awful, closeup camera and you get a terrible experience. The enemies were more annoying than anything and the cover system feels sloppy. Everything also gets blurry when you're taking cover. What's up with that? I really liked Leon's demo even if you don't do much. As a demo it was pretty bad but at least it had some classic RE atmosphere. I thought Jake's was ok. It was much better than Chris's due to the fact that there's more open space and enemies aren't constantly shooting at you from all directions. I'm not a fan of the controls either. I still prefer RE4's controls. In the end, the game might not be terrible but Chris's demo was fucking awful and hopefully a bad representation of his campaign.

Chris's demo is NOT fun. The area is extremely cramped. Combine that with the awful, closeup camera and you get a terrible experience. The enemies were more annoying than anything and the cover system feels sloppy. Everything also gets blurry when you're taking cover. What's up with that? I really liked Leon's demo even if you don't do much. As a demo it was pretty bad but at least it had some classic RE atmosphere. I thought Jake's was ok. It was much better than Chris's due to the fact that there's more open space and enemies aren't constantly shooting at you from all directions. I'm not a fan of the controls either. I still prefer RE4's controls. In the end, the game might not be terrible but Chris's demo was fucking awful and hopefully a bad representation of his campaign.

How's moving while shooting? Is it tight like Dead Space?

Hope the cover's not too clunky and it's just a bad demo. How long is it?

Apdiddy

Wow. There are no words for this.

Tried the Leon demo and died at the first prompt in the elevator. Apparently, there are no do-overs and once you die, the demo ends. Didn't go back to it because of that.

The Chris demo was fine despite running like a doofus in place and you have to press the X button at every...single...prompt. It was a decent enough I guess approximation of Gears of War/Uncharted even though it had nothing to do with Resident Evil at all.

And Jake's demo -- how was THAT even approved? I couldn't tell if the creature was up close or far away. And I died because I apparently missed a button prompt. Didn't want to sit through cutscenes again for another chance.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City will not be the lowest rated RE game if the demo is any indication of the final game. I normally hate to call games 'janky' (because that's a made up word to me), but it's lacking in...everything. It's almost like Capcom doesn't know how to make games anymore even in the current gen. They're pretty much betting everything on THIS?

I seriously hope it's just a bad demo. If not, I just saved $60.

Oh well, guess Dragon's Dogma is worth it!

Yuterald

No, I turned it off during the berserker pillar destroying section. What was that, like 3 minutes into the demo? I just had enough, especially coming off of Leon and Chris's scenario. People saying that Leon's section "feels" like old school RE are just delusional fans who can't let go. I'm sorry, maybe the full game is better, but I can't do this anymore.

blixa

Banned
No, I turned it off during the berserker pillar destroying section. What was that, like 3 minutes into the demo? I just had enough, especially coming off of Leon and Chris's scenario. People saying that Leon's section "feels" like old school RE are just delusional fans who can't let go. I'm sorry, maybe the full game is better, but I can't do this anymore.

should have continued, because that's where things are getting good.
sherry is the cooler character.
but.. if you did not like chris and leon's scenarios, perhaps it won't matter.
most importantly you gotta master the controls and features.

Astral

Tried the Leon demo and died at the first prompt in the elevator. Apparently, there are no do-overs and once you die, the demo ends. Didn't go back to it because of that.

The Chris demo was fine despite running like a doofus in place and you have to press the X button at every...single...prompt. It was a decent enough I guess approximation of Gears of War/Uncharted even though it had nothing to do with Resident Evil at all.

And Jake's demo -- how was THAT even approved? I couldn't tell if the creature was up close or far away. And I died because I apparently missed a button prompt. Didn't want to sit through cutscenes again for another chance.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City will not be the lowest rated RE game if the demo is any indication of the final game. I normally hate to call games 'janky' (because that's a made up word to me), but it's lacking in...everything. It's almost like Capcom doesn't know how to make games anymore even in the current gen. They're pretty much betting everything on THIS?

You can skip cutscenes. I don't see how you died though. Ustanav (the creature) has his own waypoint, so you can tell how close he is.

I gave the demo another chance and got a feel for its controls. It's so much better. The game is very fast paced and that took some getting used to. Chris's scenario was much more tolerable as Piers because he isn't so fucking huge. Sherry's also really fun to use. I still don't know if I'm gonna buy it. I'll just have to wait for the public demo.

blixa

Banned

so much.. wrong.

ErikB

Banned
so much.. wrong.

Yes.

In particular, please note that if you encounter a contextual action while sprinting your character will automatically perform the action without you having to press the button again.

In short, I thoroughly recommend sticking with it for a bit - until you get the hang of the controls at least.

ErikB

Banned
the cover system feels sloppy. Everything also gets blurry when you're taking cover.

Have you realised that if you encounter a wall while sliding, your character goes in to cover against it? (on xbox you do a slide by pulling the left trigger while sprinting?) Most of the time you will be entering cover by sliding or rolling in to it, and I think that feels really cool.

Also, I think the blurryness is there to try to simulate ones difficulty seeing over walls without sticking your head out. I think it is kinda neat.

Oh no a whole new group of players who try the demo for 20 minutes, throw the controller and run to yell at the top of a mountain to anyone who would hear them.

This is the same overreaction we had months ago. The game will be fantastic. Play the demo multiple times and you will see how much gameplay there is to explore (not Leon's cause it is just a story segment, you guys do understand that is just the intro...). Jake has so many moves he can do. Melee and diving adding a whole new dimension to the combat.

Astral

Yes.

In particular, please note that if you encounter a contextual action while sprinting your character will automatically perform the action without you having to press the button again.

In short, I thoroughly recommend sticking with it for a bit - until you get the hang of the controls at least.

Yeah you REALLY need to play it multiple times to get used to the controls. It's so much better once you do (except for the camera). I just found out you can walk backwards by holding X and then down. It's useless but discovering it was cool.

Teknoman

Oh no a whole new group of players who try the demo for 20 minutes, throw the controller and run to yell at the top of a mountain to anyone who would hear them.

This is the same overreaction we had months ago. The game will be fantastic. Play the demo multiple times and you will see how much gameplay there is to explore (not Leon's cause it is just a story segment, you guys do understand that is just the intro...). Jake has so many moves he can do. Melee and diving adding a whole new dimension to the combat.

The same thing happened with Dragon's Dogma. People had to play the demo over and over to realize how awesome the game was, simply because the first time through...is kind of surprising.

Cant wait till it finishes and I jump in.

Yuterald

I don't think what I said was hyperbole, at all. The demo completely rubbed me the wrong way. I don't need to play the game over and over again to "get" it either. I've been gaming for 20+ years and I know exactly what to expect from the full game. The demo just solidifies everything I feared. Play whatever mental gymnastics you need to play, but I know when to let go. I've been an RE fan since the beginning and I just can't deal with this anymore. I hate to be that "guy", but it's just the way I feel.

ErikB

Banned
They changed the camera in the final build. In the demo it's only really bad with Chris though because of how fucking huge he is.

I feel it is worth noting that they gimped the camera at the behest of people who had an initial bad impression of the demo, like you yourself did.

Ponder - if the rest of the game can grow on you, maybe the camera the game was always intended to have might as well!

ironcreed

Banned
Glad to hear that the camera is going to be pulled back some with Chris because that was one of my only gripes. The only other thing I hope is addressed is the AI, as some of the guys with guns would sometimes just stand there and stare as if I was not even there. Aside from those niggles, I think the game is going to be a beast. Absolutely love it.

Jawmuncher

I feel it is worth noting that they gimped the camera at the behest of people who had an initial bad impression of the demo, like you yourself did.

Ponder - if the rest of the game can grow on you, maybe the camera the game was always intended to have might as well!

Well technically with the camera options that camera can still be there.
It's never bad to give people more options.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

What about how the camera jerks around like crazy with every little move your character makes, like it belongs in Ninja Gaiden? Did they "gimp" that too or is it still amateurish garbage? What's your rationalization for how that makes the game better once you get used to it?

gconsole

You mean majority of the people? I guess anyone who has access to demo at this point is the one who care enough trying to get the demo. It would be much worst if this build is the public demo.

The camera is surely intend by the director. The question is if he has a good taste? What type of situation/scenario/gameplay that could make this close camera a good thing?

I never find a single game introduce itself in such a bad way that the player has to fight with the most simple machanism like this. I can jump to the change in RE4 first time just fine. Everthing is tight and solid even though thw game change that much. But now in the world of everybody has more or less experience with third person shooter. How come this demo just turn so much people off and make it does not feel right even trying to walk or run.

ironcreed

Banned
It gives the game a pleasing sense of barely controlled chaos.

:)

The only time I had a problem with it is with Chris and his bowling ball shoulders. The view was just too obstructed, especially when trying to look up. While I adapted in the demo, you do need a better field of view in a game where you are moving and shooting and being surrounded. The chaos will still be there, but that does not mean that the camera has to be so close that it hampers the gameplay and your ability to see what the hell is going on. That does not make the game better, it's just annoying, lol. Sure, I would deal with it and still love the game, but I am glad they are pulling it back and I'll love it even more as a result.

JoeFenix

This has to be a joke right? How some of you can think this game runs smoothly is beyond me...

The awful chris section is constantly in the low 20's and must dip into the 15 fps territory near the end, same for the Jake section. And that's the least of the game's problems!

It's just a complete mess honestly, I was going into it with a positive mindset, only looking for a good action shooter and it's just bad. The got the feel of shooting enemies all wrong and the contextual stuff just doesn't feel as good as in past games.

It doesn't even look good graphicaly, RE5 was much cleaner looking than this crap. Maybe the full game is gonna pull off a miracle but judging purely from this demo... BAIL OUT!

Foffy

Banned
Why oh why are there crosshairs when you have a laser sight? And why can't I leave the health and ammo on and turn off the crosshairs? Why does it have to get rid of all of it?! :<

I seriously hope that's fixed in the final build.

ErikB

Banned
Why oh why are there crosshairs when you have a laser sight?

Because the guns now repeat as fast as you can pull the trigger. When you shoot, the laser dot jumps to a new position within the crosshairs.

By lining up the crosshairs on the target and pumping the trigger you can empty a lot of bullets in to a target very quickly. Many of the shots will go wide or hit a less critical area, but most will land somewhere near the middle of the crosshairs.

In essence, having the crosshairs allows you to shoot quickly without needing to readjust the laser dot after each shot. Or you can use the dot to do precision shooting. The crosshairs are also good for machine guns, which have the same jumping dot issue.

In closing, when shooting with the crosshairs you trade ammo efficiency for DPS. When using the dot you trade DPS for ammo efficiency. Having both gives you options, and is quite a clever idea.

Top Bottom