• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Final Fantasy 5 (smartphones) screenshots

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I think the biggest issue with a lot of the more recent iOS ports of older games is the lack of consistency with visuals. There's the pseudo pixely world, the vectorised characters, the Amano art, the low detailed characters, the higher detailed monsters, and an inconsistency in the typefaces used. It's just a big mish mash of elements that kind of fit together, but ultimately look like they don't belong in the same product.

SE is really doing some strange stuff lately. I have a feeling they're trying to be like NAMCO with their ports and reboots or whatever you want to call them, but at least NAMCO is putting thought and effort into their works. I'm not sure if the same could be said of SE.

Mael

Nah, it's just nostalgia blinders that all FF discussions have. People seriously forget this is NOT new at all.

THIS was the first version that Western players got.

That release was absolutely terrible. Painful translation full of errors, and a clear lack of quality.

Did that mean Square was doomed and clearly didn't care? Because if so, they've been doomed and not caring for 15+ years.

Well to be fair this smartphone game is still the most interesting game they (Square Enix JP) have slated for this year that we know of.
I guess that's probably why people would think they're dead to them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I really fear this is how the sprites would have looked back in the day, if the resolution was higher and there were no scanlines...

*shrugs* Personally, I think it looks great. Yes, it looks different from other remakes. I still like it just fine. To each, their own.

People seriously forget this is NOT new at all.

That release was absolutely terrible. Painful translation full of errors, and a clear lack of quality.

Did that mean Square was doomed and clearly didn't care? Because if so, they've been doomed and not caring for 15+ years.

Fair enough. It would be nice if the character sprites at least blended in better with the rest of the art, though.

Aeana

redmage-3.jpg

It simply looks considerably better to me. The sprites seem to have been remade to be closer to this art style

The battle backgrounds were upgraded in the GBA version and those are closer to what you're seeing on iOS. But like I said, the complaint is with the sprites, not the backgrounds.

An addendum to this, since I was on my phone at the time, here's the same battle from the GBA version:

6M7wVJx.png

Seda

hahaha, oh man, I don't remember seeing that particular portrait before. Poor Rosa!

There isn't a single thing I don't actively hate in that screen, so at least FFV smartphone has one improvement heh.

Heh, I love the way FFIVCC looks.

GaussTek

So I guess this is the FFV remake we are getting. Looks like FF Dimensions :(

notlikethis.gif

I really hope we are actually getting a full 3D remake of FFVI next.

Mael

So this style will be used for 3 games now?
Remember when Square tried to sell you games that were quality products?
At least the ps1 version had the CG (that was a big thing at the time I still don't know why) and was with another game.

This is probably another overpriced product they'll oversell on Google Play.

Why the heck shouldn't I get a GBA emulator to get a better result?
So I guess this is the FFV remake we are getting. Looks like FF Dimensions :(

notlikethis.gif

I really hope we are getting a full 3D remake of FFVI next.

Zaventem

An addendum to this, since I was on my phone at the time, here's the same battle from the GBA version:

6M7wVJx.png
The GBA version looks good.

TWRcizA.jpg

This looks like meshing styles together that don't work.That lack of shadow detail on the character sprites are putting me off the most.

Mael

I wonder why the ATB bars in battle are different colors, though. Did they add spell charging like FF4 DS?

Could be probably be the glow the bar gets when they're filled (like in FFVI, VII...).
Although I don't think V is as dynamic as VI in handling the queue of filled ATB bars though...

jaxword

You're not going to get many people to agree that porting is the same as remaking.

Regardless of definition, though, all the exaggerated "I'll kill Square Enix if they tarnish my memories" attitudes is really very silly. Deliberately ignoring X to get outraged at Y is sort of...well, silly is still the right word.

Port or remake, if this were 1997 again with the lousy translation/load times of the PSX, people would say the same Square is a cheap cashgrabber/milker/"whoring out"/etc.

Mael

Regardless of definition, though, all the exaggerated "I'll kill Square Enix if they tarnish my memories" is really very silly. Deliberately ignoring X to get outraged at Y is sort of...well, silly is still the right word.

Port or remake, if this were 1997 again with the lousy translation/load times of the PSX, people would say the same Ruined Memories Forever.

Where did you come to the conclusion that the ps1 shitfest FF ports were held in any high esteem?

Mael

Really curious how the sprites will look for ff6.

Those were higher res than 4 and 5 right?

Basically the sprites in 4 & 5 were of 2 sizes :
Battle sprites & map/overworld/dungeon smaller sprites
In FF6, there's only 1 type of sprite used everywhere.
So in FF6 in dungeons/towns/overworld the sprites are bigger than the counterparts in 4 & 5.
But in battle they're closer in size (or where they the same?).

Kikujiro

It simply looks considerably better to me. The sprites seem to have been remade to be closer to this art style

4753713948_a1617061e5_z.jpg

People in this thread are overreacting like always, the game doesn't look bad at all and it's faithful to the orginal art.

Aeana

People in this thread are overreacting like always, the game doesn't look bad at all and it's faithful to the orginal art.
Oh no, people have a different opinion from mine, I'm gonna respond to someone who agrees with me and make snarky passive-aggressive comments about others. At least engage the people with whom you disagree.

Mael

That's not the original art, the original art is the amano full size art, not the chibi super deformed art.
See Dissidia for faithful representation.
Worst 20th anniversary game ever.

I'll stick with the GBA version.

I don't know Metroid had a worse anniversary...

Shinta

Banned
Oh no, people have a different opinion from mine, I'm gonna respond to someone who agrees with me and make snarky passive-aggressive comments about others. At least engage the people with whom you disagree.

I thought his assessment was completely fair. It is faithful to not only the original chibi art style, but the original Amano art.

And there are definitely people overreacting, like in literally every SQEX thread on here.

My post is not about his assessment, it's about the way in which it was delivered.

I honestly have to doubt that. It's the content that got it noticed in my opinion, not the delivery.

Look in literally any FF thread on here and there are people that are extremely vocal in their disappointment with the franchise and mods never call them out. They even taunt anyone who actually likes it, repeatedly. The post you took issue with was extremely tame in comparison, so I honestly don't get the issue.

Aeana

I thought his assessment was completely fair. It is faithful to not only the original chibi art style, but the original Amano art.

And there are definitely people overreacting, like in literally every SQEX thread on here.
My post is not about his assessment, it's about the way in which it was delivered.

ash_ag

They look exactly like the artwork they've always used for this game. I think that's just the style of the game honestly.

ff5psone.jpg

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't mind a full remake in a later date, but I think this looks pretty. Regardless the outcome, the anti-retroactive artistic decision is pretty bold. I'll be getting this! :)

And for people who fear for FFVI, don't worry. It's clear that this was an intentional nod to the original artwork, which wasn't present on FFVI. I expect them to do something different with that. For comparison:

You know, FFV is the only FF I haven't played. I've been waiting for a decent remake to come around to finally get my hands on it. At this point I'm about to just give up and go for the GBA remake. Isn't there a Psx version too? Which is better?

Aeana

I honestly have to doubt that. It's the content that got it noticed in my opinion, not the delivery.

Look in literally any FF thread on here and there are people that are extremely vocal in their disappointment with the franchise and mods never call them out. They even taunt anyone who actually likes it, repeatedly. The post you took issue with was extremely tame in comparison, so I honestly don't get the issue.
If it was the content, then I would have made similar responses to all of the other people voicing similar complaints. I have not. Because everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. What I want to foster is discussion. You can't have a discussion if you're not engaging other posters directly. It's like when someone talks about someone as if they're not in the room. No, you talk to that person. They're right there. This is a trend that I have grown less patient with more and more lately.

Look in literally any FF thread on here and there are people that are extremely vocal in their disappointment with the franchise and mods never call them out.

I also want to address this separately. Why should people be called out for being disappointed (or excited) in the first place? They shouldn't be. Because they can feel however they want to feel. That's silly. You also shouldn't speak of "the mods" as if they are one person. They are individual people with their own personalities and likes and dislikes.

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't mind a full remake in a later date, but I think this looks pretty. Regardless the outcome, the anti-retroactive artistic decision is pretty bold. I'll be getting this! :)

And for people who fear for FFVI, don't worry. It's clear that this was an intentional nod to the original artwork, which wasn't present on FFVI. I expect them to do something different with that. For comparison:

There are official super deformed representations of the character art in FFVI, too. I know they're in the booklet for the PS1 version. I think FFVI will look exactly like V iOS/Android. There's no reason for them to put much more effort.

jaxword

Worst 20th anniversary game ever.

I'll stick with the GBA version.

What's funny is that the GBA version isn't too hot either; memes and Simpsons references in the text, halfassed endgame bonus jobs, tons of bugs (nothing new there, though).

Given that it's either that or the PSX version, though, this means fans are pretty limited for choice for which is the definitive version.

You know, FFV is the only FF I haven't played. I've been waiting for a decent remake to come around to finally get my hands on it. At this point I'm about to just give up and go for the GBA remake. Isn't there a Psx version too? Which is better?

The PSX version has terrible load times; I would avoid it. GBA is better, but honestly, I think waiting for this phone version would be fine. Assuming, of course, the translation is decent. For all the doom-and-gloom people, they may change their tone when they see the sprites in action.

Also, the GBA's speakers are pretty weak; this means if you value the FF series' music, it may not be the best experience. And hey, who knows, the phone version's port of the music may be pretty good after all.

Top Bottom