• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 announced for PS4/Xbox1

MK X is also available for PS3 and Xbox 360. You're welcome.

So? My point being is that it's an entirely new game built from the ground up not a remastered 1 - 2 year old game, we got people that already bought the previous DOA5 iteration very recently lol. Correct me if i'm wrong, isn't MKX being developed with next gen in mind and then it'll be ported to the previous generation consoles?

Edit: Oh yes, here we go.

" TRMK: Are you targeting development on next generation consoles or are you mostly concerned about keeping cross generational compatibility?

Ed Boon: NetherRealm is only doing the PS4 and Xbox One Versions. We may be doing the PC version as well, but the consoles are the priority. While we may be involved in the solution we will not be doing the implementation of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions. "

Sauce. Welcome anytime.

So? My point being is that it's an entirely new game built from the ground up not a remastered 1 - 2 year old game, we got people that already are buying the previous DOA5 iteration lol. Correct me if i'm wrong, isn't MKX being developed with next gen in mind and then it'll be ported to the previous generation consoles?

There was nothing next-gen (regarding graphics) from the gameplay videos so far. You have a source for the bolded one?

Pimpbaa

I know. It pisses me off more that all the DLC I bought before will likely not be compatible, either. That's bullshit.

The only thing that is bullshit is that you are preemptively getting angry about something that may or may not be true. Considering they carried forward any DLC from DOA5, DOA+, to DOA5U, there may be a chance the DLC will be compatible.

Bgamer90

Banned
So? My point being is that it's an entirely new game built from the ground up not a remastered 1 - 2 year old game, we got people that already bought the previous DOA5 iteration very recently lol. Correct me if i'm wrong, isn't MKX being developed with next gen in mind and then it'll be ported to the previous generation consoles?

It actually seems like it will be the other way around -- a 1080p up-port.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Happy to see this announced; hoping there's new content but I assume it will just be DOA5U with a bunch of the DLC added. That's fine as long as the visuals and net code get a nice boost. There's s good chance the DLC will be cross-buy, too, since Koei did that with DW8.

Prepare to be disappointed.

At least they should include all the characters, at the end of the day they are using DOA5 as a platform to sell an insane amount of costumes. Is likely that they will give for free some costumes like they did with DOA5U, but not all of them for free.

Everything is relative.

You are seeing an 14yo in a fetish costume, I'm seeing a classic Japan-style young female with a maiden (I don't find that kind of suit sexy) costume !
There is an interesting psychological analysis about that (the different perception).

Of course, I'm not pointing my finger at you about your perception, I just find the word "disgusting" excessive.

I don't know, just the maid costume by itself isn't disgusting but in context, when she's got those other skimpy swimsuit DLC costumes and is in a game where every single other female character is definitely sexualised I find it hard to believe she wasn't made to cater to some fans who are, erm, attracted to "lolis".

That doesn't mean you can't like her as a character or anything. And yeah, I might be wrong and maybe the designers know lots of 18 year olds who look like that... I certainly don't, however. So I guess that's where I'm coming from.

...its the reverse of original kasumi and ayane who were 14 but looked 24(except for the faces, they fixed it in 5 though)

Ugh, I forgot about that.

laugh all u want but this is surely someone's fetish

They just can't get enough of her pumpkin scone.

xion4360

At least they should include all the characters, at the end of the day they are using DOA5 as a platform to sell an insane amount of costumes. Is likely that they will give for free some costumes like they did with DOA5U, but not all of them for free.

If they have any sense the DLC will be instantly cross buy, so all the purchases you've made will also register as purchased on the PS4 store and all you have to do is download it. I cant really imagine them asking anyone to pay for the same costumes twice. I bought everything except for the Private Paradise cut scenes and it adds up to quite a lot...actually I hope those scenes are included now cuz nothing will ever make me buy them separately.

Dereck

DOA5U_Mila_Halloween.jpg
What the fuck is this

MK X is using UE3, an engine which was first introduced to consoles in 7th gen. Previous MK also used the same engine and so did Injustice League. That means they are used to know all the optimization tricks for THAT engine. If they were confident enough for the install base of the new consoles they would use UE4. Obviously the game is not made up with Ps4 and XB1 in mind as the bigger fan base of MK is still using PS3 and Xbox 360.
You can check gameplay videos of the game. It looks pretty but NOT NEXT GEN pretty.

MK X is using UE3, an engine which was first introduced to consoles in 7th gen. Previous MK also used the same engine and so did Injustice League. That means they are used to know all the optimization tricks for THAT engine. If they were confident enough for the install base of the new consoles they would use UE4. Obviously the game is not made up with Ps4 and XB1 in mind as the bigger fan base of MK is still using PS3 and Xbox 360.
You can check gameplay videos of the game. It looks pretty but NOT NEXT GEN pretty.

My point is that it's a new game being made entirely from the ground up and not relying on 2 year old assets, not to mention we got people that already are buying the previous DOA5 iteration, like when enough is enough? lol

MKX could look like MK2 for all I care as long as it's something that is being built up from scratch then i'm willing to support. Remastering 1 - 2 year old games? No thanks. So now we got DOA5: Final Round, Tomb Raider, Saints Row, Beyond(rumored), GTA5, The Last Of Us, Sleeping Dogs, Metro and State of decay remastered for next gen since this is the current trend. I wonder what's next lol.

Fighting games in general are least interesting genre to put eye candy in.

Tekken 5DR holds up even today because it is a clean image, with a stable framerate at a locked 1080p resolution.

If DOA5 is that on PS4/X1 thats more than good enough.

I seriously hope they add some better textures on the stages, even some of the obvious ground textures straight under the characters looked like PS2 quality.

Bgamer90

Banned

Ahh ok.

Can't help but to agree with most of the points made here though.

JordanN

Banned
Spring 2015 seems like an awfully long time for a game like this.

I'm really hoping it's because they've been working on other PS4/XBO titles in the background and not a case of "because we can".

bryanee

I don't think they can use UE4 yet. Something to do with Warners having contracts for UE3. That's why Arkham Knight is using a heavily modified UE3 engine the same as the MK games.

It looks like that old Hong Kong level will be returning too. Should be sweet.
Right sign, wrong HK stage. It actually looks like the DOATEC HK stage from DOA3. New stages looks promising.

I have serious reservations about the gameplay, in fact, I complained so much that Shimbori has cursed my name in public before, haha. Anyway, enough people seem to like it so I don't think they'll change too much but I really hope they really make every character over-the-top powerful. I hate what they call "balance." Everyone's biggest complaint is netcode though and I hope that really gets addressed. It'll be ridiculous to sell the same broken product a third (technically fourth) time.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I love DOA but there better be a major jump in graphics, although the graphics have improved over the years it still looks like DOA2 at first glance.

IcyEyes

I don't know, just the maid costume by itself isn't disgusting but in context, when she's got those other skimpy swimsuit DLC costumes and is in a game where every single other female character is definitely sexualised I find it hard to believe she wasn't made to cater to some fans who are, erm, attracted to "lolis".

That doesn't mean you can't like her as a character or anything. And yeah, I might be wrong and maybe the designers know lots of 18 year olds who look like that... I certainly don't, however. So I guess that's where I'm coming from.

I want to make a correction, that costume it's a gothic lolita suit, it's of course more "daring" than the maiden one.
Of course, the other DLC costume are a lot more skimpy and of course that costume are really appealing, but again you need to consider the origin of this game and their primary market.
They looks pretty different compared to the western people (always much younger) and Japanese's culture about young people (and in general) is deeply different from the western.

Hopefully they include all the DLC. At worst, they should honor people's last Gen DLC purchases.
I seriously hope they add some better textures on the stages, even some of the obvious ground textures straight under the characters looked like PS2 quality.
Yep. The characters look much better than they do in DOA4, but the textures in the stages and IQ got worse.

Timu

I knew it was a great idea for me to wait as I was planning on buying the PS3 version in a few days...Core Fighters with Nyotengu will keep me busy until I get the X1 version, this is such great news.

I love DOA but there better be a major jump in graphics, although the graphics have improved over the years it still looks like DOA2 at first glance.

I can only agree with this : apart from the resolution it looks like the franchise has hardly evolved graphically .

DOA 3 even on the powerful Xbox was barely above DOA 2 and the same could be said with DOA 4 on the Xbox 360.

Ninja Gaiden has the same problem.

It's like they never changed their engine and lighting system since The Dreamcast but just bumped the polycount and the resolution.

Dany

Banned
Did people like it more than DOA4?

I'm just curios because I played more than 100 hours of DOA4 but when i picked up 5. was not the same.

IvorB

Please, just give me at least one more nice looking male character and a few sexy costumes for the dudes. That's all I want. This isn't too much to ask. DO YOU WANT ME TO BEG???

Yeah the guys are all pretty sh*t looking in DOA5. I could totally be up for this game if the "fan service" was equal opportunity.

Top Bottom