• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Ketch

I dont think quest warlock can work.

Even with all of the tools they added to support discard, without like an actual graveyard or regenerate mechanic it's just not gonna work. Deck size is too small, card advantage too important, the support cards are not powerful enough. It needs like a 7/7 for 7 that summons when you discard it or something, or cards that are immune to discard, or just an actual regenerate mechanic.... otherwise it's just way too random.

I dont think quest warlock can work.

its awful but, hey, i have 4 quests, i want to at least use them for fun. i'd rather have clutchmaster or whatever but i don't have the dust

what are some other warlock ways to increase deck size besides prince malch? firefly obviously but nah...anything else? the new elise i guess, broke for that too tho lol

actually maybe a ton of discard and then old school elise to push for lethal. lol, probably not a bad idea, it's hard to find a win condition with the discard stuff.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Discarding in HS is so shitty feeling anyway. Like you can highroll like CRAZY if you doomguard into clutchmother and silverware golem instead of siphon soul and deathwing or something. It just feels shitty, I think it's better for the game if a swingy quest like that isn't good.

Ketch

its awful but, hey, i have 4 quests, i want to at least use them for fun. i'd rather have clutchmaster or whatever but i don't have the dust

Yea I crafted clutchmother because I like the idea of the deck, and I don't mind playing for fun either.

If you play the quest with minimal discard package in a zoo or handlock deck it can be pretty fun to play. Trying to manipulate your hand and saving the quest + discards for later in the game can actually benefit from skillful play, but the pay off just isn't good enough.

It's too slow, like SO slow, and then it takes up 3 slots on the board late in the game when you'd rather be playing something other then 3/2s.

It should have been 4 discards in stead of 6, and rogue quest should have been 6 same names instead of 4.

Or they need like 3 more cards with the same mechanic as clutchmother.

It feels like playing a zombie deck with all the activators and only 1 zombie.

clutchmother is great in discard zoo. i'm talking about a hard wild quest deck tho. probably with old school elise to twist the deck in the end bc that's the hardest part about it, you play the quest and then whelp you're just discarding everything. that's why malchy seems playable in it so far. and if you get the quest too late you might as well be playing another (better) deck.

a harpy

You know what's uninteractive? Playing against quest mage with tons of freeze.

Yeah, I'm right here with this. This is probably the least amount of fun I've ever had in Hearthstone, and Mage is the very tip top of the problem. I might just take a break until the meta sorts itself out but quests decks so far, playing with them or playing against them, have not been fun at all. When I win, I feel like I'm playing solitaire. When I lose, I feel like there was nothing I could do because the game just completely swings around into their favor.

Peléo

Discard could be a more interesting mechanic if the effect was: Discard the leftmost card of your hand.

A lot of the frustration in Hearthstone comes from the excess of RNG and lack of decision-making. This change would alliviate both problems.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just spectated my friend playing Exodia Mage. He fucked up the order in which he played it out and couldn't cast Time Warp and let his four Apprentices all die. Was screaming. That poor, poor idiot.

New beast druid is fun. Old beast druid was fun, too, but the quest is good.

Have a Healing Touch in but don't think it's great. Don't want to cut the ravens but it seems like a lot of people are just going full 5 attack only except for Druids of the Claw.

edit: I miss Azure Drake so much. I understand why they HoF'd it but such a versatile card.

fertygo

Yeah, I'm right here with this. This is probably the least amount of fun I've ever had in Hearthstone, and Mage is the very tip top of the problem. I might just take a break until the meta sorts itself out but quests decks so far, playing with them or playing against them, have not been fun at all. When I win, I feel like I'm playing solitaire. When I lose, I feel like there was nothing I could do because the game just completely swings around into their favor.

that mage deck is one of few deck hell might the only deck in hearthstone that play differently than others, I glad it exist, bumping minion back and forth is all other deck doing and that boring af

but blizz will kill it like they kill patron and og freeze mage, because that what people like

Pooya

it's kinda curious how people could tolerate pirate warrior for like 6 months and going but as soon as there is a somewhat decent combo deck, on 2nd day everyone wants it nerfed. Sure people complain about pw too but not like this, not this quickly. I hope they don't cave in this time. Last time they nerfed warsong and they even admitted the deck has below 50 winrate already, the game and tournament scene went to the gutter for over a year. You need to have a mix of all archetypes in the game, remove that everyone just plays elemental curve stone and zoolock instead. People need to learn how to deal with it and you're not supposed to win every game. I don't think anything needs nerfing in this set, the game is the most balanced it has ever been in a long time. You can actually play all 9 classes and have good success with them so far. That's huge.

Losing to mage or rogue quest and you see lots of them? well just tech in for it or swicth deck, good thing answers exist. You can't expect to play whatever and win against them all, ladder is supposed to be competitive not casual like that.

scarlet

it's kinda curious how people could tolerate pirate warrior for like 6 months and going but as soon as there is a somewhat decent combo deck, on 2nd day everyone wants it nerfed. Sure people complain about pw too but not like this, not this quickly. I hope they don't cave in this time. Last time they nerfed warsong the game and tournament scene went to the gutter for a over a year. You need to have a mix of all archetypes in the game, remove that everyone just plays elemental curve stone instead. People need to learn how to deal with it and you're not supposed to win every game. I don't think anything needs nerfing in this set, the game is the most balanced it has ever been in a long time. You can actually play all 9 classes and have good success with them so far. That's huge.

It's the PW PTSD, everything that "seems" OP need to get nerf.

Nerf quest mage pls

Blizzard

Banned
it's kinda curious how people could tolerate pirate warrior for like 6 months and going but as soon as there is a somewhat decent combo deck, on 2nd day everyone wants it nerfed. Sure people complain about pw too but not like this, not this quickly. I hope they don't cave in this time. Last time they nerfed warsong the game and tournament scene went to the gutter for a over a year. You need to have a mix of all archetypes in the game, remove that everyone just plays elemental curve stone instead. People need to learn how to deal with it and you're not supposed to win every game. I don't think anything needs nerfing in this set, the game is the most balanced it has ever been in a long time. You can actually play all 9 classes and have good success with them so far. That's huge.

Losing to mage or rogue quest and you see lots of them? well just tech in for it or swicth deck, good thing answers exist. You can't expect to play whatever and win against the all, ladder is supposed to be competitive not casual like that.
The best part is, if the Rogue quest gets nerfed and Patches is untouched, pirate warrior will STILL be a thing.

ladies and gentlemen, i present to you, the wilds of ungoro. simply, the craziest quest game i've seen yet. starring prince malchezar, both elises, swamp king dred, 6 mana mukla, the garbo warlock leggy that summons demons, troggzor, kalimos, 12 turns of warlock portal , versus 40 health priest at dumpster 15 rank

https://hsreplay.net/replay/JuJJwuqE8LRmVLicGR3Wqi

jesus this game is amazing rn

Papercuts

The best part is, if the Rogue quest gets nerfed and Patches is untouched, pirate warrior will STILL be a thing.

Patches is still so dumb, I don't know why blizzard won't just axe it already. Fucking DRUID is using it now.

But yeah on the mage quest, I get that it's not great to go against but combo decks are basically always like that. They're intentionally uninteractive since they're usually cycle and stall based. But Blizzard had to know that would happen when you add a card to skip a turn, and the 4 mana copy spell basically only exists for exodia, lol.

Pooya

Those are early release blues. WotOG had people bring Combo Priest to tournaments and such at the beginning.

nah, I think this time every class has something to say. Last sets were complete non starter for some of the classes. Like hunter was never a thing in Msog. Not even 2 days. Paladin was similar. I think this set is certainly going to be better. Maybe priest is still niche but other 8 classes seem solid and evenly matched.

Grief.exe

Discarding in HS is so shitty feeling anyway. Like you can highroll like CRAZY if you doomguard into clutchmother and silverware golem instead of siphon soul and deathwing or something. It just feels shitty, I think it's better for the game if a swingy quest like that isn't good.

Clutchmother would have been better as an Epic rarity so you can include two.

Probably would have been too much, I haven't seen too much of that deck yet.

Dahbomb

it's kinda curious how people could tolerate pirate warrior for like 6 months and going but as soon as there is a somewhat decent combo deck, on 2nd day everyone wants it nerfed. Sure people complain about pw too but not like this, not this quickly. I hope they don't cave in this time. Last time they nerfed warsong and they even admitted the deck has below 50 winrate already, the game and tournament scene went to the gutter for over a year. You need to have a mix of all archetypes in the game, remove that everyone just plays elemental curve stone and zoolock instead. People need to learn how to deal with it and you're not supposed to win every game. I don't think anything needs nerfing in this set, the game is the most balanced it has ever been in a long time. You can actually play all 9 classes and have good success with them so far. That's huge.

Losing to mage or rogue quest and you see lots of them? well just tech in for it or swicth deck, good thing answers exist. You can't expect to play whatever and win against them all, ladder is supposed to be competitive not casual like that.
A "combo" deck that can kill you by turn 5-6 is legitimately worse than an aggro deck which can do the same.

That's not even in the same stratosphere as Patron Warrior.

Not asking for nerfs right now but just to let you know... a "combo" deck that can assemble its pieces then kill you in a short amount of time is actually more degenerate than aggro. I don't have a problem with this Exodia Mage stuff just like I never had a problem with Freeze Mage... these combo decks don't assemble their pieces and kill you fast in the game, they have to survive for a while.

nah, I think this time every class has something to say. Last sets were complete non starter for some of the classes. Like hunter was never a thing in Msog. Not even 2 days. Paladin was similar. I think this set is certainly going to be better. Maybe priest is still niche but other 8 classes seem solid and evenly matched.

MSoG didn't have rotation and Paladin and Hunter had an utterly failed mechanic.

Papercuts

Mean Streets got pretty pounded early on due to pirates and the all in variant of the gang mechanic being a pretty obvious bust, but Old Gods was different since the cycle changes a lot more than just adding cards. I recall nzoth pally was the first 'real' deck that showed up and dominated tournaments, it was pretty firmly tier one for a few weeks.

And then...fell off hugely into tier 3 or 4 IIRC. Lol.

Pooya

First, that doesn't happen often, it's high rolling, any deck can high roll. Remember Mech mage? So broken nerf now!

Second, the rogue deck simply can't deal with any significant board early in the game, sure if you play control you will lose every time to this and mage deck, it's exactly what the card is designed to counter. Rogue quest deck has no hope whatsoever to beat the new zoo deck or elemental decks, nothing in their deck can remove bulky minions. They simply die. If they change their deck they can no longer complete the quest consistently. Control decks can tech dirty rat to beat quest mage every time too.

Unlike midrange shaman back in Kara meta, there is obvious weaknesses people can exploit to beat these. People aren't even trying yet and go straight to complaining. Get out of here with that non sense.

so is old school wild freeze mage completely OBSOLETE with the time warp version out? i'm looking for a deck to delete to do some dumb shit with (prince malchezar fel reaver hunter lulz, 50 cards to burn)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
so is old school wild freeze mage completely OBSOLETE with the time warp version out? i'm looking for a deck to delete to do some dumb shit with (prince malchezar fel reaver hunter lulz, 50 cards to burn)

Ice Lance going to Wild is the main thing making it obsolete. Needs a win condition and Quest Mage is that.

Don't know if Classic freeze is good in wild, but probably better than Quest Mage?

jiiikoo

Banned
I've been playing the Mage deck with the quest and Antonidas and getting 4 of those 2 drops that reduce the cost of spells by 1. I think I've played 4 games and won 3 now. And after every win, the opponent want's to me by friend and tells me to go fuck myself. Saltyness is over 100%.

Na_ytto_kuva_2017-04-08_kello_8.16.42.png

Tried out elemental buff Paladin. Seems like it could be really, really good.

It it catches on I wonder if it's something Blizzard will consider giving some more support in the next expansion.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Zoolock seems to be getting its teeth kicked in haven't lost once using my shitty elemental shaman deck.

It's pretty good against almost anything but Elemental Shaman and Taunt Warrior.

Ice Lance going to Wild is the main thing making it obsolete. Needs a win condition and Quest Mage is that.

Don't know if Classic freeze is good in wild, but probably better than Quest Mage?

i don't care about standard it's boring i really only play wild lol.

i have seen a lot of exodias, idk if it's good or if i'm just always playing trash decks against it lol, seems pretty damn consistent in wild.

Xanathus

Kinda funny that I haven't lost once as Pirate Warrior against Taunt Warrior. the problem appears to be that the taunt minions have too weak stats to match up with pirate minions and weapons. I think an effective Taunt Warrior deck is going to need to run Molten Blade as an additional removal tool. The hardest matchup I've had so far as Pirate Warrior appears to be Elemental Shamans and non-Quest Zoo.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
i don't care about standard it's boring i really only play wild lol.

i have seen a lot of exodias, idk if it's good or if i'm just always playing trash decks against it lol, seems pretty damn consistent in wild.

Quest Mage could be better in wild. There are more options for things that make spells.

Q8D3vil

Kinda funny that I haven't lost once as Pirate Warrior against Taunt Warrior. the problem appears to be that the taunt minions have too weak stats to match up with pirate minions and weapons. I think an effective Taunt Warrior deck is going to need to run Molten Blade as an additional removal tool. The hardest matchup I've had so far as Pirate Warrior appears to be Elemental Shamans and non-Quest Zoo.
Warrior lack aoe clear, MSOG warrior used to wreck PW with revenge but now thats spell is gone.

Sheroking

I can already tell Un'Goro is even worse than Mean Streets.

I think this is the last time I'll be giving any money to Blizzard for this game.

Dahbomb

Just reached rank 9 with this.

13-1 so far, replacing few cards from eloise's deck, who was also replacing few cards from another Chinese player.
This feels like the type of Rogue deck I expected would be used in Ungoro. Minus that Petal minion but I guess that's still fuel for Auctioneer/Giants.

FeD.nL

I can already tell Un'Goro is even worse than Mean Streets.

I think this is the last time I'll be giving any money to Blizzard for this game.

I enjoy it so far, absolutely hated MsoG. Even though there are some powerful options right out of the gate I think there is way more potential for other decks to also reach that level, or near that level.

scarlet

Make that deck 16-2

Edit: Eloise's deck has 2 backstab and sherazin. I replaced that with envenom, leeroy, and another cold blood

Why the giants?

One of the win conditions and will get cheaper with the amount of spells you have.

Hallucination is amazing. I got lightlord, molten reflection, fireball, arcanite reaper and more.

patchday

Make that deck 16-2

One of the win conditions and will get cheaper with the amount of spells you have.

Hallucination is amazing. I got lightlord, molten reflection, fireball, arcanite reaper and more.

I keep getting Velens consistently against priest. is such naughty fun with evis :)

a harpy

Make that deck 16-2

Edit: Eloise's deck has 2 backstab and sherazin. I replaced that with envenom, leeroy, and another cold blood

This deck is way cool.

I just burgled a Lyra with it.

edit: And I just hallucinated a Velen, only to have it Dirty Rat'd out into a double eviscerate by me.

This is exactly the kind of deck that I was hoping would come from Ungoro. I shoulda been messing with stuff like this earlier today instead of worrying about nonsense like quests.

Blizzard

Banned
Those sorts of decks look cool, but I've never gotten a VanCleef or Patches or Thalnos (or Violet Teacher?) in all my Gadgetzan decks.

Top Bottom