• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Looking at reddit more, I think people are getting mad at "nothing". The spreads they are showing is the same as it has always been. I mean, I can see being upset at the odds, but they are nothing new.

Legendaries have a 5% chance per pack, which isn't that bad of odds when you compare it to a Gacha game or a physical card game.

Drkirby
Corporate Apologist
(Today, 06:38 PM)

Sounds about right.

Grief.exe

Looking at reddit more, I think people are getting mad at "nothing". The spreads they are showing is the same as it has always been. I mean, I can see being upset at the odds, but they are nothing new.

Legendaries have a 5% chance per pack, which isn't that bad of odds when you compare it to a Gacha game or a physical card game.

If you open 100 packs, and 70%+ cards are common, with only ~70 common cards in the set. You're going to see a lot of dupes.

Tacitus_

People just don't understand statistics or randomness. I got salty about my pack luck too, but there really wasn't anything unusual. I got 70 packs and I'm ~16 rares short of getting doubles of them all and got I two legendaries and a handful of epics.

ricelord

Had a ele shaman try to dirty rat me while i was playing as rouge.Would had beat me if i didn't top deck my bounce cards back to back the turns after.

wiibomb

if this finally makes HS being easier at handling cards, I'm all in for the outrage.

as I said many times before this game is pretty unfair to begin with.

sibarraz

Banned
Another factor is that unlike previous expansions were you only needed 3-5 legendaries at worst to stay competitive, here you actually need 9 legendaries and more if you want to have the full experience of the game with all classes

Quests should have never been legendary should have been its own rarity that's somewhere between Rare and Epic. They made the game just way more expensive to keep up with for everyone. Bring back adventures.

Dahbomb

Another factor is that unlike previous expansions were you only needed 3-5 legendaries at worst to stay competitive, here you actually need 9 legendaries and more if you want to have the full experience of the game with all classes
Well we don't know what the full competitive spectrum is but at the bare minimum it is far more expensive to test drive all these new Quest decks.

wiibomb

I'm playing using a quest paladin. Holy shit Galvadon is so SO strong. It's probably the strongest card in the game.

galvadon is probably the strongest minion, however it is also walled behind a really tough condition to play it, it might be a gamble to try and play it

I got flak for calling rogue quest good. Low curve, check. Novice engineer bouncing, check. This was without even knowing the full set obviously but I knew it would be solid.

Yep, your take on this was pretty much spot-on.

I invite everyone else who had hilariously bad takes on this card when it was revealed to self-own with their own post history so I don't have to do it for them.

Ripenen

A lot of people have been reporting that they opened lots of duplicates.

I guess I will wait until I open my ~ 30 packs.

Opened ~100 packs and here are the cards I got many copies of:

8x Tortollan Forager
7x Elder Longneck
9x Verdant Longneck
4x Jeweled McCaw
6x Crackling Razormaw
8x Grievous Bite
7x Terrorscale Stalker
6x Arcanologist
8x Flame Geyser
4x Shimmering Tempest
9+x Adaptation
8x Hydrologist
4x Vinecleaver
7x Binding Heal
5x Radiant Elemental
7x Tortollan Shellraiser
4x Hallucination
8x Razorpetal Lasher
9+x Razorpetal Volley
4x Air Elemental
5x Fire Plume Harbinger
4x Primalfin Totem
7x Hot Spring Guardian
7x Tidal Surge
9+x Lakkari Felhound
7x Ravenous Pterrordax
4x Curel Dinomancer
4x Direhorn Hatchling
7x Ornery Direhorn
5x Tar Lord
4x Emerald Reaver
5x Fire Fly
7x Glacial Shard
8x Ravasaur Runt
5x Rockpool Hunter
9+x Stubborn Gastropod
9x Volatile Elemental
9+x Eggnapper
9x Igneous Elemental
7x Primalfin Lookout
5x Pterrordax Hatchling
5x Stonehill Defender
6x Tar Creeper
6x Fire Plume Phoenix
5x Stegodon
4x Tol'vir Stoneshaper
5x Nesting Roc
6x Frozen Crusher
8x Sabretooth Stalker
7x Sated Threshadon
9+x Stormwatcher
8x Volcanosaur
9x Giant Mastodon
8x Ultrasaur

Those are all common cards so maybe that's in line with what you'd expect to get. I'm not sure but I can say I did feel a bit disappointed.

FeD.nL

Quests should have never been legendary should have been its own rarity that's somewhere between Rare and Epic. They made the game just way more expensive to keep up with for everyone. Bring back adventures.

I like them at legendary but what I would have liked is that instead of pulling the quest from a pack, you pull a token or whatever and get to choose which quest you take. I don't think it should have been possible to get duplicate quests.

galvadon is probably the strongest minion, however it is also walled behind a really tough condition to play it, it might be a gamble to try and play it

I thought that too, but cast 6 spells in a minion using a paladin deck is extremely easy. I'm really impressed.

I think the "rage" on duplicates is more of a side effect of the actual problem: the terrible overall value of packs.

You can spent 50$ on packs and get almost nothing out of it. And if the value is soo bad, it's especially infuriating if you get duplicates, because disenchanting is also terrible value. The double whammy of disappointment.

It's just people realizing they spent a lot of money on a game and still can't play the decks they wanted to play.

Pooya

people are finally just fed up with the terrible loot system realizing how unfair it is. Specially now that there are 3 expansions per year it hits harder.

This isn't about f2p players, people who bought the preorder should get to play most everything the set has, right now you don't get much at all on average.

Won

I know I tend to be alone on such things, but stuff like quests are perfect mechanics to hand out for free to everyone. This kind of stuff shouldn't be in packs to begin with.

Ooh interesting! Which buffs do you run?

In my mind that quest would have been the hardest to pull off.

This is the deck I made:

1fkVsmt.png

The first card is another adaptation. So many worthy 1 mana cost spells, it's amazing.

With Hydrologist I recommend getting the secret which your last dead minion comes back to your hand then combo with Galvadon.

I know I tend to be alone on such things, but stuff like quests are perfect mechanics to hand out for free to everyone. This kind of stuff shouldn't be in packs to begin with.

Yeah free would be best i was just doing a compromise between the 2.

wiibomb

I thought that too, but cast 6 spells in a minion using a paladin deck is extremely easy. I'm really impressed.

oh and it might be a sole win condition, I think if there is no DOOM! or Twisting nether, it might be a win for the layer.

also, it becomes increasingly riskier as the deck doesn't have much other win conditions besides galvadon.

that deck is really a high risk high reward deck

This is the deck I made:

The first card is another adaptation. So many worthy 1 mana cost spells, it's amazing.

if you have a second primalfin champion I would suggest adding it

Dahbomb

I invite everyone else who had hilariously bad takes on this card when it was revealed to self-own with their own post history so I don't have to do it for them.
I don't know what I said exactly but I was hella skeptical on it initially (especially using Wisps). Later on I stated in my actual video review that it had potential specifically with bounce cards, Elemental cards and Violet Teacher. Even then I wasn't sure if it would be this easy to pull off so I gave it a 3/5.

I think what people need to realize is that the quest is actually 0/3 as opposed to 0/4. Just playing ANY minion activates 1/4 so you just need to bounce that minion 3 times which really is not hard to do at all. I feel like this aspect of the quest was greatly overlooked.

I already have marked myself as being on blast for the Rogue quest even at a 3/5.

oh and it might be a sole win condition, I think if there is no DOOM! or Twisting nether, it might be a win for the layer.

also, it becomes increasingly riskier as the deck doesn't have much other win conditions besides galvadon.

that deck is really a high risk high reward deck

Yes, I agree. You have to know well how to play galvadon since he's the solo win condition.

if you have a second primalfin champion I would suggest adding it

I actually don't, that's why I'm using only one. I'll probably craft the second.

Pooya

About rogue quest, Iater on I said that you can complete it consistently but to win after that is a big if and I stand by that. Just because people play terrible decks right now and you can get to do all of that before dying doesn't mean the deck is good.

Check back again in two weeks we will see where it stands when you die on turn 5 against any tempo deck although you have your quest done. Some people are very quick to pat themselves on the back...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Opened ~100 packs and here are the cards I got many copies of:
<List of copies>

Those are all common cards so maybe that's in line with what you'd expect to get. I'm not sure but I can say I did feel a bit disappointed.

Pretty much. There are 49 common cards, but with 100 packs you likely got 350 common cards total. I would expect you to have about 250 extra common cards, and on average 7 of every common.

people are finally just fed up with the terrible loot system realizing how unfair it is. Specially now that there are 3 expansions per year it hits harder.

This isn't about f2p players, people who bought the preorder should get to play most everything the set has, right now you don't get much at all on average.

This is true. I think people are right to be upset at the odds, but there is nothing "broken" about them. They are the same odds as they have been since release.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Guys, there's a reason we do the re-review a full two months or more out after the expansion. People are kneejerking like fuuuuck.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is probably the least I've wanted to play any new expansion. Opened up like 60 packs and I have no real in roads on being able to build anything. I could craft a few things but it feels completely pointless when the meta is not at all defined, and I don't feel like wasting tons of dust to experiment with stuff.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This is probably the least I've wanted to play any new expansion. Opened up like 60 packs and I have no real in roads on being able to build anything. I could craft a few things but it feels completely pointless when the meta is not at all defined, and I don't feel like wasting tons of dust to experiment with stuff.

Yep, Blizzard locking a lot of the the new archetypes behind the legendary quest cards is likely really bad for players.

FeD.nL

This is the deck I made:

http://i.imgur.com/1fkVsmt.png/img]

With Hydrologist I recommend getting the secret which your last dead minion comes back to your hand then combo with Galvadon.[/QUOTE]

Looks interesting, gonna look into it. Thanks for sharing!

Imagine they didn't give out Cthun for free in WoTOG, and you opened tons of Cthun followers.

Quite a portion of cards in this expansion are mediocre at best without Quest, you hardly feel like "exploring Ungoro" if you didnt manage to pull one or two quest.

Guys, there's a reason we do the re-review a full two months or more out after the expansion. People are kneejerking like fuuuuck.

Definitely any kind of conclusion about where the meta settles is far, far away from being possible now. With the Rogue Quest I think the particular humor is in how many people (here and all over the internet) were convinced it wasn't really viable to complete, or that the effect was bad once you did so. Whether or not the deck winds up topping the meta long-term those particular takes were clearly pretty far off.

cackhyena

Definitely any kind of conclusion about where the meta settles is far, far away from being possible now. With the Rogue Quest I think the particular humor is in how many people (here and all over the internet) were convinced it wasn't really viable to complete, or that the effect was bad once you did so. Whether or not the deck winds up topping the meta long-term those particular takes were clearly pretty far off.

I don't pay attention to the releases or any meta stuff. I just went against a couple Rogues and hoo boy did it end like we were playing a lopsided Brawl. Fucked.

_DrMario_

Good thing they sent Ice Lance to Wild, wouldn't want to be stuck playing against against a completely non interactive opponent.

Dahbomb

Man imagine this new Rogue with Conceal... LMAO!

I have seen people actually mention that the Rogue quest deck might be one of our first tier 0 decks in HS.

I have seen people actually mention that the Rogue quest deck might be one of our first tier 0 decks in HS.

Haven't played with the deck yet, but there is one thing I don't get:

Looking through the decklist, how would that deck ever beat a facedeck like pirates? Isn't that a hard counter?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

My worst is wondering why they didn't include a 5/5 with the reward. Obviously that'd be overpowered, but in my defense it was more of an honest wonder than a "why the hell didn't they do that".
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=232570909#post232570909

I also put it as sixth best quest, though if you move rogue to first I feel really good about that ranking overall.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233324496&highlight=rogue#post233324496

And I did give it a 4 and said I could see even it potentially being the most OP quest, while I went hard against Hunter, Druid, and Priest quests.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233261890&postcount=18503

Pooya

Haven't played with the deck yet, but there is one thing I don't get:

Looking through the decklist, how would that deck ever beat a facedeck like pirates? Isn't that a hard counter?

It usually doesn't. Actually the worst match up for it is aggro druid and zoo. There is no comeback for the deck, go wide on board it's over.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

No way is it tier 0. The counters to it are way more versatile than the counters to the tier 1 decks of the last few metas, and they seem to counter Quest Rogue pretty hard.

Top Bottom