• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#IwataSays We will discuss new Smash Bros.3D Mario game, Mario Kart etc @ E3

Thats the problem. 5 years ago I could have told you those games were coming. Mario Kart is fun but thats it, not an extremely exciting thing. 3D Mario can be cool but galaxy was a bit of a let down as I prefer exploratory hubs. I dislike Smash a lot.

You'll find that Sony and Microsoft do the same thing, it is just that Nintendo has been around longer so there is more lash back. To give some context: Microsoft is never going to drop Halo (in the foreseeable future) as it is a main attraction, it provides stability and identity. Halo has been ingrained into Microsoft's cultural significance, it would not be a Microsoft platform without Halo. So with that in mind. How can Nintendo ever not have a 3D/2D Mario on their system? They can't, it is ridiculous for anyone to complain about seeing the same old damn Mario games on every Nintendo system. I'm not arguing that every game on the system should be of these franchises, but there has to be a system of counter balance. Gradual overturn that Nintendo is trying to find footing with. We'll see how the handle this as the Wii U advances, but you can see it happening with The Wonderful 101, X, and even Bayonetta 2, providing new experiences that weren't previously associated with Nintendo.

Onto another point, given that Nintendo has been around for six console generations, it is amazing to see how fresh they have kept Mario games throughout its existence. In fact, I would say they manage most of their franchises exceptionally well in regards to how they evolve in style, mechanics, and ingenuity, with some exclusions that come down to individual preference (I find the slow incremental changes in Animal Crossing and Pokemon as franchises off putting personally, so I tend to only pick up every other entry in those franchises to see more of a marked change). When Microsoft is on their 5th or 6th console, I hope I find each Halo as refreshing as I find the franchises that Nintendo has handled over the years.

Hopefully that made sense, I just kinda typed it haha.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
THe Wii U was a completly new console at E3 last year so how did the ps3/360 compete?

Nintendo != Sony and Microsoft? Sony has already showed waaaayyyyyy more impressive stuff than what was at E3 2011 and 2012.

The mere fact that Nextbox and PS4 are much more powerful than current gen will turn enough heads. Nintendo certainly didn't have that on there side. I don't think it's a particularly strong point to say that Nintendo has a chance to outshine Sony and Microsoft now and use evidence of their past fuck ups to legitimize that statement.

Look, yes, there is a very small chance that Nintendo will "steal the show" from Microsoft and Sony, but I'm pretty surprised that anyone is objecting to the fact that this is Microsoft or Sony's to lose.

Roo

It's not just Nintendo fans, remember PC fans are now just getting the game and they also had to beg and do a petition to get Dark Souls.

They came up with the MGS creator and Miyamoto friendship thing, not me.
I was exclusively talking about Nintendo.

nib95

Banned
Perhaps , but my point is new hardware does not necessarily overshadow upcoming titles for existing systems.

I think there's a high chance it will or does when the hardware is actually a generational leap more advanced. Unless of course Sony and Microsoft somehow manage to really drop the ball and offer no other games.

goomba

Banned
Look, yes, there is a very small chance that Nintendo will "steal the show" from Microsoft and Sony, but I'm pretty surprised that anyone is objecting to the fact that this is Microsoft or Sony's to lose.

I'm not saying anything, just that you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch because as we know , anything can happen in this industry.

Darryl

Banned
Isn't Sticker Star a Paper Mario game? I was under the impression that he was working on something completely new that would've stood in the ranks of Mario, Link and Samus.

his new fps ip? :p

i don't even know what kind of game he can make that would warrant a new ip. their ips are already so diverse. the creation of mii's filled the starring role of many new titles. he said he's training new members and working with a small team on some new stuff, whatever new stuff they make will probably be eShop quality worthy in the modern age

THe Wii U was a completly new console at E3 last year so how did the ps3/360 compete?

The PS3 and 360 both came across as very tired machines at E3 last year, and people were definitely eager to hear more about the Wii U.

If you think the "big news" of E3 is going to be a new Mario Kart or something... well... I can see most of the press focusing on the PS4/720, with the Wii U as a foot note.

goomba

Banned
The PS3 and 360 both came across as very tired machines at E3 last year, and people were definitely eager to hear more about the Wii U.

If you think the "big news" of E3 is going to be a new Mario Kart or something... well... I can see most of the press focusing on the PS4/720, with the Wii U as a foot note.

I'm not stating anything will happen, just highlighting how the stating that the ps4/XBoxi will overshadow everything else could be wrong.

Obviously there are some 'improbable to the point of ridiculousness' scenarios where Nintendo takes front and center ("Final Fantasy XV, Ghosts & Ghouls, Beyond Good & Evil, Mother 4, and Pokemon MMO Wii U exclusive', for example) and I think that it'll be hard to push through the hype of the other two - the ball is in their court, though, to show off. Last year no one was expecting Ubisoft to be the best, and then Wonderbook, Usher Concert and Nintendo Land Rule Explanation lecture happened.

Obviously there are some 'improbable to the point of ridiculousness' scenarios where Nintendo takes front and center ("Final Fantasy XV, Ghosts & Ghouls, Beyond Good & Evil, Mother 4, and Pokemon MMO Wii U exclusive', for example), but I think that it'll be hard to push through the hype of the other two - the ball is in their court, though, to show off.

Yeah, I agree. Although I wouldn't necessarily discount Microsoft and Sonys potential to totally stuff up their presentations.

doemaaan

his new fps ip? :p

i don't even know what kind of game he can make that would warrant a new ip. their ips are already so diverse. the creation of mii's filled the starring role of many new titles. he said he's training new members and working with a small team on some new stuff, whatever new stuff they make will probably be eShop quality worthy in the modern age

Speaking of fps's (and/or tps's), I always thought Mario Paintball was a neat idea. I think Nintendo could get really creative with that genre. I mean, what's left for the Mario franchise to infect?

16627_mario_paintball.png

BowieZ

Banned
Speaking of fps's (and/or tps's), I always thought Mario Paintball was a neat idea. I think Nintendo could get really creative with that genre. I mean, what's left for the Mario franchise to infect?

To be called Super Mario Skirmish Team Bros. in EU.

For me, the last great new IP from Nintendo is Pikmin. There have obviously been many more between then and now, but I'd love to see something with that same freshness and polish to it.

And as always here we come full circle with the "those dont count!" when it comes to Nintendo new IPs.

GamerSoul

Probably wont happen ( Mario with a gun? oh noes) but it should!

AzaK

Stuff do get delayed, which sucks but at least we are not waiting years to get Pikmin 3 like say Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

The Wii U is more core orientated than the Wii was that's for sure, third party support is easier said than done, I think if the Wii U starts selling better and grows in user base than hopefully more third party support comes, will it be as good as PS4/720? I really doubt it, but will it be at least decent? If Nintendo pulls off the right moves than hopefully yes.

There are definitely problems with the Wii U but I think Nintendo is slowly fixing them, hopefully we get a better/good image of the Wii U at E3 2013.

I don't disagree and I'm not in the doomed camp but I am mighty pissed off how Nintendo has and is handling Wii U. From way back at E3 until today.

I'm not a fan of buying a console and then being left to dig for scraps.

The time to make Mario Paintball was when they had the best console FPS control scheme packed into the box. What a lost opportunity.

And as always here we come full circle with the "those dont count!" when it comes to Nintendo new IPs.

I agree that Nintendo has created a lot of new IP. But I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a game like Pikmin. Wii Sports/Fit/Music are obviously a different type of game. And PushMo/CrashMo are fantastic, and I hear good things about Dillon, but they're much smaller scale.

Pikmin took its concept and really dug deep to explore the gameplay mechanics. There really isn't another game like it. When someone asks for that level of depth, a world with that level of character and humor, a recognizable soundtrack, and all that comes with the introduction of a big new IP, I can't argue with them.

Pikmin 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games ever. Wii Sports is fun, but it didn't have the lasting effect on me that Pikmin did. Honestly, the last time I got that "wow" feeling from Nintendo was Kid Icarus Uprising, which felt like a new franchise. So now let's see them introduce an all new member to the family, once again defining a genre. I still believe Nintendo has it in them.

They put original ideas into existing IPs because assholes who complain about no new IPs don't actually buy new IPs.
This. Kirby's Epic Yarn would have sold as well as Flingsmash if Kirby wasn't in it. And then we'd be sitting around like "Why didn't they just make it a Kirby game or some shit?"

Sheroking

Sad but true.

Not that it completely excuses them. You can create a hype train by making your name away from the IP.

If they show up at E3 and show off a futuristic action-RPG "by the makers of Metroid Prime". Hype should be there, and they should be able to able to pull it off.

They just can't release, you know, new arcade golf game and expect it to sell as well as Mario Golf.

AniHawk

Ok, so you just don't know what a first party game means then.

really, it comes down to who owns the ip. nintendo doesn't own the lego ip, so it's not a first-party game.

by that same measure, eternal darkness is a first-party game, while banjo-kazooie is not (to nintendo). things got muddied in the mid-90s when nintendo introduced the term second-party to the world.

Sendou

really, it comes down to who owns the ip. nintendo doesn't own the lego ip, so it's not a first-party game.

by that same measure, eternal darkness is a first-party game, while banjo-kazooie is not (to nintendo). things got muddied in the mid-90s when nintendo introduced the term second-party to the world.

The funny thing is that the only difference between Lego City Undercover and Luigi's Mansion 2 is who owns the IP. Nintendo still owns the rights to Lego City Undercover (so TW can't just decide that they want to port the game to 360/PS3) Isn't it just semantics beyond this point?

We start to get into semantics at this point. The game is owned by Nintendo, they paid for it, and Iwata is listed as the Executive Producer.

The funny thing is that the only difference between Lego City Undercover and Luigi's Mansion 2 is who owns the IP.

Nintendo was heavily involved in the development of Luigi's Mansion 2, and they usually are for games that are considered "outsourced", like Yoshi's Island DS.

Were they involved in the development of Lego City Undercover?

Nintendo was heavily involved in the development of Luigi's Mansion 2, and they usually are for games that are considered "outsourced", like Yoshi's Island DS.

Were they involved in the development of Lego City Undercover?

They paid for it and there was a Producer & Co-producer at SPD supervising the game. Shinya Takahashi was general producer and Iwata was executive producer.

I imagine if they ever did this, it'd be Mario Squirt and it'd be based on the Sunshine Backpack. Innuendtendo.

Darryl

Banned
For me, the last great new IP from Nintendo is Pikmin. There have obviously been many more between then and now, but I'd love to see something with that same freshness and polish to it.

ya you want a new Nintendo IP™, not a new ole IP created by Nintendo. i get it. there's a pretty big difference between that and small-time creations like Rolling Western. i disagree that they haven't tried. i think Kid Icarus: Uprising was an attempt to create one. it played out exactly how i would imagine it

-fresh new section of gameplay carved out for it with potential for future titles
-new worlds to explore that don't retread on their existing franchises (no star fox + metroid crap)
-main characters who are iconic and center in the games (Xenoblade/X could count as a new Nintendo IP™ but its major problem is right here - Shulk doesn't feel attached to the franchise so this is where that one fucks up. but maybe he is somehow? we'll see)
-high production values, KI:U has so much content it could rival AAA ps360 titles
-had outside media (anime, cards)
-huge marketing budget - they certainly tried

yea it was based on old games but who really cares. those old games were dead and no one cared about them anymore at all. it is related only in name and if you discount it because of that you don't deserve games anymore. i can't imagine someone prior to the Wii saying they were holding up on buying the console until it got their Kid Icarus fix. it is disappointing overall to see the game go so far over everyones heads. it had huge potential all around.

AzaK

Ok, so you just don't know what a first party game means then.
I stand corrected. It was techically a first party game just not from a first party developer. However that makes it one title, not even developed by them that they have released in over half a year for their next generation console and there was very little third party of note to fill the gaps.

The point being that the software on the machine is sparse it has been poorly supported.

MCN

Banned
They put original ideas into existing IPs because assholes who complain about no new IPs don't actually buy new IPs.

More specifically, assholes who complain about no new IPs will never have any intention of buying Nintendo games.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
20 more days until E3!

I wish that Nintendo would announce the date for E3 very soon, but I doubt it. Knowing their style, they probably would announce few days before the date.

AzaK

Except all the people who buy new IPs like the millions who bought all the new IPs this gen on all platforms. Nintendo are just too conservative make new mature IPs. They can do it with smaller or more kid friendly stuff because the risk is less.

zroid

Banned

The weird thing is that I don't hate this concept. I doubt they could justify it as a full priced retail game, however.

Am I the only one that likes seeing the same casts for new games? New Nintendo IPs just don't really interest me. As long as they remain creative with the games themselves, then I'm fine.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

The term second-party was a coined term Miyamoto used to sort of differentiate RARE from in-house NCL. It was and still is semantics. When Nintendo announces finances, investor reports, and press releases they use actual publishing terminology. A first party game means the hardware mfg is publishing the game, and third party means a licensee is publishing the game. The term only is relevant to the publisher, not the developer. No one even needs to know or care who the developer even is 90% of the time except forum nerds.

There is no way to easily label the developer of a game anymore, since each game usually has like 4-5 companies involved in the creation anyway.

Top Bottom