• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steep |OT| Shaun White Simulator

SCB3

I love the look of this and the Beta was kinda fun, but I'm waiting for a close to £20 price, its gonna get lost in the Xmas shuffle with FFXV and the Last Guardian both out within a week of each other I cannot justify this at full price.

Looks fantastic though

JP

from reddit

"Can confirm 1080p 60 FPS. Not sure about 4K 60. Been playing all day in PS4 Pro. I have experienced freezing though but other than that it's buttery smooth."
It's been really smooth on the Pro for me in relation to frame rate, there has been a couple of minor stutters but that seems to be down to the fact that it's an online game and it's probably getting hammered today.

No idea about the resolution on the Pro but it's looked beautifully sharp for me on a 1080p screen.

EDIT:
There are some videos starting to appear of the PS4 Pro version, you don't really get the same effect as playing it live but it can give you an estimation of how it looks.
STEEP #01 [1080p HD 60Fps PS4 Pro] - No Commentary (YouTube)

MrBlonde

I stick by my comment earlier that the game is a little tough and navigating the map is kind of a pain in the ass but it was starting to grow on me right before I had to stop. I didn't play the beta so I was going in totally fresh and had no clue what I was doing.

So basically do challenges and watch random people around u but no true multiplayer unless u have 3 people in your party? Not crazy about the binocular thing and just wish drop zones unlocked as u rank up. With that being said I am looking forward to putting him more time and taking a break from shooters

glow

Banned
Hey real life skiers and snowboarders, how are you liking this so far? How arcadey are the controls/physics? I might have to buy this to get me through the winter since I won't be able to do any ski trips this season outside the midwest.

MrBlonde

How do u get to the air balloon challenges, trying to get to the Aravis air balloon, they are up high on map and can't put the cursor on it??

N° 2048

yikes

bad release timing, but i will happily purchase this on sale. not a good sign for the genre, though

It's not the genre, it's the game. This is not a full price game. Especially for 79.99 here in Canada.

IMO

and I played 40 hours alpha/beta combined.

$40 bucks I'd be all over this.

Ashtar

Roboplato on Twitter said he got a huge shipment at Best Buy and not a single one was preordered or even sold yet

Rip
Yikes, but yeah can't really say I'm surprised, I was looking for some live gameplay on PlayStation I think around 50 ppl were streaming it, also the game only has about 70 likes so far today on PSN, hopefully this isn't too much of a bomb and ppl don't lose their jobs etc

Yikes, but yeah can't really say I'm surprised, I was looking for some live gameplay on PlayStation I think around 50 ppl were streaming it, also the game only has about 70 likes so far today on PSN, hopefully this isn't too much of a bomb and ppl don't lose their jobs etc

I have to figure (hope) Ubi knew the audience was limited and budgeted accordingly

njs15

The fact that this game has zero load times doesn't get brought up enough. You can zip from spot to spot across the entire map instantly, rewind to the top of a run etc. and it's just seamless. It's nice that tricks get identified now in the full game, as well.

Also, the whole "helicopter ticket" thing isn't an issue at all. You end up finding drop zones across the entire map that you can warp to for free. Ubi probably could have explained that a bit more clearly in the video.

Ivan 3414

This game will bomb in part because people were expecting an arcadey snowboarder ala SSX, and this is not that (nor should it be)

I enjoyed the beta. The problem is that although this game has much in the way of exploration, it doesn't seem like it offers anything deeper. Gameplay on snowboards and skis is solid but feels shallow.

Buggy Loop

9 hours later, i'm max level.
This game really has the "just one more challenge/ride", and then 9 hours goes by without eating or taking a break, jesus :eek:

I have to figure (hope) Ubi knew the audience was limited and budgeted accordingly

Yeah. They could be hoping for a Rs:Seige like December release slow burn. It doesn't look like the blew a 30 million dollar marketing campaign for release so hopefully the budget was appropriately managed as well

So what's the hook for the single player? Is there some sort of fun campaign with events to play through?

Wondering the same thing myself.

I have it, but need to download it all day tomorrow. Will probably get to it on Sunday.

Is there something to beat? Or do you just try new things and do the odd challenge?

Performance impressions:

i5-4460
GTX 980

Really happy, it runs far better than the beta. Beta was mostly 60 but I got drops into the high 40s sometimes while on a run.

Turned off vsync this time to test how high it goes and it seems to sit around 80-85 on Ultra default without any real fluctuation more than +/- 10 fps. I'm even able to use MSAAx2 and still keep it over 70, so a locked 60 and solid IQ is easy.

Very impressed from that standpoint, but I haven't got to play anything outside the tutorial again. Gonna hopefully dig in next week

Hooches

Neo Member
So it's impossible to play realtime multiplayer with only one other person?

No, the maximum group size is 4, you can also play with only one friend.
Played the whole evening yesterday with a friend of mine and it was super fun beating each others Highscores on different challenges.

You can more or less play the whole game together with a friend or you just create your own challenges and share it with your friend.

It´s refreshing to have a relaxing game like this where you can explore the huge open world and do some challenges.

Tankshell

Looking for fellow Gaffers to add to my Uplay friends list to chill out on the slopes with :) My uplay id is:

Tanksh3ll

Add me if you want some friendly competition!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Does it support 21:9 resolution?

I just read through a hundred of steam reviews, and it seems surprisingly GOOD.

Some compared it to 1080 on N64, is that right?

Has anybody who plays on console gotten gopro mode to work while playing (not just in replays). This was one of the major things i wanted to try during the beta but despite pressing every button and equipping every gadget i was unable to try it out first hand (im assuming it wasnt available in the beta). Was wondering if they had finally sorted things out for the full release and if so what some peoples impression of gopro mode are. Will def consider picking the game up with some of the money i inevitably recieve in xbox gift cards this xmas. Unfortunatly i dont have much interest in the game if they've axed the view during gameplay (something i cant imagine being the case considering i remember hearing something about ubisoft patenting "gopro" view just for this game.

Vault 101

On Xbox, the go pro mode can be switched to by pressing right bumper. Actually I think it's left bumper.

Loving the game for a relaxing open world vibe. Just skiing around the alps. Happy with purchase, there seems to be a lot of content.

Tankshell

Can't stop creating custom Wingsuit routes, it is SO satisfying flying down the mountain finding new paths and barely escaping with your life. This is the most fun I've had in ages.

AEREC

Really interested in this since I havent played a snowboarding game since Amped on the 360 (1080 on the N64 before that).

This looks like something that could just be played at a relaxing pace.

Can you disable HUD?

Is it a constant 60fps on the Pro?

theDeeDubs

Not to beat a dead horse with "but what do you do?", but I would've loved this game inside some kind of single player story homage to all those rated R ski movies in the 80's and early 90's. I know ubi is going away from narrative focused games, but dangit I need my storytelling. I guess the draw here is playing with friends, but most of mine only play CoD, Madden, and NBA2K unfortunately.

I plan to buy this for a "shut your brain off and chill" kind of game, but not at $60 sadly.

Not to beat a dead horse with "but what do you do?", but I would've loved this game inside some kind of single player story homage to all those rated R ski movies in the 80's and early 90's. I know ubi is going away from narrative focused games, but dangit I need my storytelling. I guess the draw here is playing with friends, but most of mine only play CoD, Madden, and NBA2K unfortunately.

I plan to buy this for a "shut your brain off and chill" kind of game, but not at $60 sadly.

Same. I'm worried I won't enjoy it as much because of this.

On Xbox, the go pro mode can be switched to by pressing right bumper. Actually I think it's left bumper.

Loving the game for a relaxing open world vibe. Just skiing around the alps. Happy with purchase, there seems to be a lot of content.

This is good news to me. Agree entirely, when i was playing the beta i was totally content just riding down the mountain exploring for drop zones and digging the soundtrack. It seems like a great sit back and relax game. My only major complaint was regarding the gopro mode i couldn't get working, the game was fun without it but not being able to access it during the beta just frustrated me to no end limiting the amount of fun i could have with the beta overall, but now that youve confirmed its working on xb1 ill likely be picking this up sometime during the holidays.

Freeman76

As a former snowboarding addict (irl) i really hope this is good, havent played a decent boarding game for a long time

Anyone expecting SSX out of it just didn't even bother to watch a single trailer.

Yeah, I love SSX (and I'm having a great time with Steep) but it's such a shame to see people criticising this so heavily because it's not a game that it isn't trying to be.

It reminds me a lot of Driveclub in that it leans to the arcade side but without being totally over the top like SSX. I do think that the release version feels better than the alpha/betas in regards to tricks, ollies have just a little more pop, most notably in the half pipes where it felt pretty wrong before. Mostly though I just find cruising about while listening to a lot of music and playing challenges a lot of fun.

Also the devs need a ton of credit for how seemless everything is, warping around the mountains and restarting events is fast. It makes a huge difference.

and I played 40 hours alpha/beta combined.

so over 40hours with ~1/3 of the content (not including the free alaska map) isn't enough game?

As a former snowboarding addict (irl) i really hope this is good, havent played a decent boarding game for a long time

No kidding. It's been a while, hasn't it?

I've been wanting a good one for ages. I remember the glory days fondly, with 1080 Snowboarding, SSX, SSX Tricky...

I missed a few, though, like a couple of the SSX games and the Amped games that were exclusive to Xbox. But I spent hours upon hours with those.

nikos

No, the maximum group size is 4, you can also play with only one friend.
Played the whole evening yesterday with a friend of mine and it was super fun beating each others Highscores on different challenges.

You can more or less play the whole game together with a friend or you just create your own challenges and share it with your friend.

It´s refreshing to have a relaxing game like this where you can explore the huge open world and do some challenges.

That sounds great, thanks! This should definitely be a nice, relaxing change of pace. Going to pick it up this week.

Tankshell

So is this any good guys? I'm super interested in it, but the price tag has me nervous.

Depends what you're looking for, and is entirely subjective. Personally I'm having a lot of fun with it and feel like it was money well spent. If you're after something like SSX then you should probably avoid. It does have an awesome Wingsuit mode though! :)

The snowboarding is what I care about most. A lot more than any of the other stuff.

I meant to download it today, but didn't get around to doing so. I guess I'll be playing it on Monday.

Peru

Can anyone in the know tell me if this has super long races or time trials where you descend an entire mountain (plus). Like, 10, 20, 30 minute long runs.

Top Bottom